Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing a gravel drive

Options
  • 26-11-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

What is the best way to clear a gravel drive? I neglected it all year and it's got a lot of grass and weeds on it. It's only my second year in the house so I will eventually lay down tarmacadam. I have a dog so I'm wary of poisons etc. Will I need to 'break' the back and dig it out ? or are they're easier options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Any systemic weedkiller will quickly clear gravel area of grass and weed, however effective use is during dry spells and growing season. At this time of year, grass and weeds will be slow to absorb any herbicide, but you could use Casoron G. This is generally applied between Oct and April and may also be applied during wet spells which is a distinct advantage. Unlike other weedkillers which biodegrade on contact with ground, Casoron remains active for up to 6-12 months, providing much more protection and being granular there is no messy measuring/mixing but simply sprinkle around area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

If you're reluctant to use poisons then a hoe and rake is a damn sight easier than digging it out.
    Hoe the area then rake clear. Cassaron G is effective and after spreading rake over the area so that it "drops" under the surface gravel, this should prevent your dog picking it up and subsequently licking it's paw...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cassaron G has a low toxicity 5 grams per Kg (rats) & there are no warnings on the web spec - don't know about on the packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thanks guys, I'll grab some of that Cassaron G and give a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If you're reluctant to use poisons then a hoe and rake is a damn sight easier than digging it out.
    Hoe the area then rake clear. Cassaron G is effective and after spreading rake over the area so that it "drops" under the surface gravel, this should prevent your dog picking it up and subsequently licking it's paw...

Casoron is perfectly safe with pets and no need to rake it in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Round-up (or a generic glyphosate equivalent) is a good systemic weedkiller. Pets should be excluded during application, but once it is dried it is perfectly safe.

It may be the wrong time of year to apply; weeds should be actively growing and you do need the weather to keep dry for about 6 hours. I would avoid hoeing as you are likely to just damage the surface.

Advertisement