Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarifcation about engine power.

• 26-11-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey there folks,

Currently I'm riding a Suzuki Marauder 250 (Awesome ride, even if it is a glorified starter bike) and from what I understand (And I'm probably wrong in some if not all parts here), since I am over 18, I'm legally allowed to ride it and I'll be hopefully riding her for some time to come but there will be a point where I probably will want something bigger.

Obviously she's a 250cc bike and the power limit for when you finish you're provisional is a 33kW bike and that limit lasts for about, I think two or four years? My bike is currently powerful enough for me as I mainly use her for getting to work and back but I honestly have no idea how to compare a 33kW in ccs. Hades, I don't even know what cc stands for.

Yeah, I'm not doing a great deal explaining this, basically I want to know what would be a good bike to try out next? Or what kind of advice on the various bikes available to someone with either a provisional licence or for the limited two years I'd have after I get a full A licence.

Cheers.

[Edit]

While I have this post made and instead of making another thread, is there going to be a motorbike version of an NCT?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's not 33kw, it's 33bhp which equates to 25kw/h. The restriction is in place for two years after you pass your test, and no, there is no NCT equilavent for bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

cc = Cubic Centimeters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

they have an NCT in the UK and these things sometimes leak through to Irish law so maybe someday but not soon anyways. It's probably no harm if they did bring it on, so long as it wasn't too onerous.

The restriction lasts for 2 years after the date you get your full license, which gives a good incentive to pass the test.

I believe there's a list somewhere of bikes that are within the limits. But then pretty much any bike can be restricted (or not) anyways

they have an NCT in the UK and these things sometimes leak through to Irish law so maybe someday but not soon anyways. It's probably no harm if they did bring it on, so long as it wasn't too onerous.

It's bad enough watching those muppets at the nct centre abuse my crappy car, they are not getting near my MT-01!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

It's bad enough watching those muppets at the nct centre abuse my crappy car, they are not getting near my MT-01!

Ah I've seen the pic of your MT - 01. It's a thing of beauty-they couldn't possibly fail it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

they have an NCT in the UK and these things sometimes leak through to Irish law so maybe someday but not soon anyways.

Only if it comes from the EU, so forget what the UK are doing. Belgium don't have one, which as the seat of the EU is relevant, because.........it's not economically viable.

Good enough reason for me !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Thanks for the replies but rather than consulting a list, I'd rather request an answer coloured with experience from riders that have been longer at it than I am.

Thanks for the replies but rather than consulting a list, I'd rather request an answer coloured with experience from riders that have been longer at it than I am.

There are loads of bigger bikes you can ride on a provisional A licence. My last bike was a 1600cc Yamaha Roadstar- learner legal. Before that I had a dragstar 650 also learner legal. Suzuki bandits, yamaha fazers and honda hornets are all sportier 600cc bikes that can be gotten restricted so you can ride them on a provisional licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Show us some pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I don't want an NCT for bikes. It would just be a way for crooked garages (I can think of some) to drum up more repair business by failing bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

cc is the size of the engine (used more in bikes because most bikes are less than 1L (1000cc))

There is rumors of a NBT coming.....if it does there will be a lot of trouble for people with loud exhausts, and racing layout braided lines.

On a provisional you are restricted to 33bhp and a power to weight ratio also (0.16kw/kg ?). this restriction continues for two years after you get the full license.

Next bike all depends on what you like/use it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't want an NCT for bikes. It would just be a way for crooked garages (I can think of some) to drum up more repair business by failing bikes.

If it's NBT it won't be done by the garages. Just look at the UK MOT or for a total mess of safety testing our DOE system. That's why we went with a seperate company for the NCT.

Advertisement