Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - totally confused

• 26-11-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have read the charter checked all the relevant websites and I am just confused.

Moving into new apt at the weekend. I want to get broadband and originally planned to get it through UPC but now I have discovered that it isn't available :(

Is there another option in around the €20 mark that doesn't require a phoneline that is a good quality service?

Sorry if this has been covered a million times - I don't understand all tech upload/download limit stuff or ping speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I use Irish Broadbands Ripwave product, it's not mega fast, but it's 18.95 a month with no phoneline necessary and it's a constant, reliable connection. I'm not sure what the story is with the upgrading to wimax with it though, check imagine.ie for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is there another option in around the €20 mark that doesn't require a phoneline that is a good quality service?

Pretty much no. You'll be looking at a midband product in that price range, and quality and speed will vary wildly. It could be fine, and it could be crap.

Check out fixed wireless options first, Imagine Breeze or Digiweb Metro perhaps. After that, consider the phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That pretty much doubles the cost though jor el. I've heard ripwave to be terrible by a lot of people, but it really depends where you are and where you have the box in your house. It's perfect for me, never had a problem with it as it is for 2 other people I know with it. We each tested it in our places in the 7 day trial and it was fine for us. Another friend tested it and it was terrible, he sent it back and got a refund.

For a constant, always on reliable connection, if you're in a good area it's a great option and far far far farrr better than the usb dongle 3g broadband offer by the likes of three.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hi all,

I have read the charter checked all the relevant websites and I am just confused.

Moving into new apt at the weekend. I want to get broadband and originally planned to get it through UPC but now I have discovered that it isn't available :(

Sorry if this has been covered a million times - I don't understand all tech upload/download limit stuff or ping speeds

Are you in a city area or a smaller town or village? This really makes a difference when it comes to the options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

jor el wrote: »
    Pretty much no. You'll be looking at a midband product in that price range, and quality and speed will vary wildly. It could be fine, and it could be crap.

Check out fixed wireless options first, Imagine Breeze or Digiweb Metro perhaps. After that, consider the phone line.

+1 Agree completely.

I hade UPC in old place and moved, couldn't get it so went with smart. Only way to guarantee consistant speeds. Had digiweb before, it was horrible and capped to 30gb per 30 days rolling.

Wireless just isn't a substitute yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Are you in a city area or a smaller town or village? This really makes a difference when it comes to the options available.
    I am living in Portmarnock in an apt complex.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I am living in Portmarnock in an apt complex.

No equipment in Portmarnock sadly so only the unlimited up to 7.6Mbps service is available.

€40 per month and €25.47 line rental.

Interested?

Advertisement