Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you accept Neo-Darwinian Evolution?

• 26-11-2009 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

This is sort of a companion piece to the poll on Christianity forum.

There is an assumption that most atheists would accept evolution as the most plausible explanation for the existence of complex life on Earth, but I thought it would be interesting to see if this actually holds.

I would be very interested in anyone who is an atheist or agnostic who doesn't accept evolution as currently understood by biology, for what ever reason (feel free to give that reason or not).

*Warning* If people do give reasons why they don't this isn't a "You're so stupid" thread. By all means discuss but no lynching or aggressive responses please. This is more of a fact finding thread than a proving evolution thread, I'm interested to see where atheists stand on this, not demonstrate to everyone who doesn't accept evolution that they should.

Do you accept Neo-Darwinian evolution? 78 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    mewsoZombrexDont be at yourselfpHBottle_of_SmokeMrPuddingDapperGentWackerZillahCarpoMyksykdlofnepGurglerobindchCiaran500stevejazzxRbsmokingmaneoin5Dinner 78 votes
    Don't know enough about it
    0%
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

No
    I'd frankly be amazed to find an atheist who didn't accept evolution. Any atheist who doesn't accept evolution cannot subscribe to evidence-based reasoning, since evidence-based reasoning leads to acceptance of evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No
    adamd164 wrote: »
    I'd frankly be amazed to find an atheist who didn't accept evolution. Any atheist who doesn't accept evolution cannot subscribe to evidence-based reasoning, since evidence-based reasoning leads to acceptance of evolution.

A bit too lynching or aggressive

Also subscribing to evidence based reasoning would require evidence first, so it would be best to listen to why an atheist rejected evolution before deciding that the reason goes against evidence-based reasoning. Such assumptions is in fact going against evidence based reasoning :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No
    I voted yes, but I would have considered myself an atheist before I actually knew what evolution was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No
    Thanks for the responses guys. Pretty over whelming in favour of evolution

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No
    Wicknight wrote: »
    Pretty over whelming in favour of evolution
    I'm all in favour of it. The sooner we can converse using only our minds - the better, afaic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

No
    Dades wrote: »
    I'm all in favour of it. The sooner we can converse using only our minds - the better, afaic.

Until some twat evolves the ability to spam everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

No
    It's good to see people admitting they don't know enough about it to say yes/no, as opposed to just selecting no based on said lack of knowledge (which is something we saw with the Lisbon Treaty last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

No
    I also accept the theory of gravity, the result of the Ireland/France game, and paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

No
    Yes.

I'd be quite surprised to come across an atheist who didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No
    condra wrote: »
    I also accept the result of the Ireland/France game

Truly proof that the irrelegious have no concept of justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No
    I'd be more interested on a poll about if you were an atheist/agnostic before you learnt what evolution actually was?

Me : Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

No
    Rb wrote: »
    It's good to see people admitting they don't know enough about it to say yes/no, as opposed to just selecting no based on said lack of knowledge (which is something we saw with the Lisbon Treaty last year).

Ability to change one's mind if God pops down and tells us otherwise as opposed to a treaty supported by all major parties and will never be, under any circumstance, offered to the public again for another vote (once it was voted for)....
    Anywho, pretty off-topic. Evolution for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

No
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ability to change one's mind if God pops down and tells us otherwise as opposed to a treaty supported by all major parties and will never be, under any circumstance, offered to the public again for another vote (once it was voted for)....
    Anywho, pretty off-topic. Evolution for me...
    Evolution is good.
    The Lisbon Treaty is good.
    Vote Yes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

No
    Rb wrote: »
    Evolution is good.
    The Lisbon Treaty is good.
    Vote Yes :D

It's over and done with. Let's never speak of it again.

Shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

No
    Yes, but I prefer the term 'modern evolutionary synthesis'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No
    For some reason the term 'Neo-Darwinian' conjurs up images of Nazi Germany in my head. Damn Creationists, they've ruined another perfectly good term of phrase! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

No
    Galvasean wrote: »
    For some reason the term 'Neo-Darwinian' conjurs up images of Nazi Germany in my head. Damn Creationists, they've ruined another perfectly good term of phrase! :mad:

That's where I got that from... Couldn't figure out why neo-Darwinian painted pictures of a bald Darwin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

No
    Why not also ask if we believe the standard model? Why does evolution have the monopoly on being scientific theory for atheists? Granted evolution makes the first few pages of Genesis look a bit sill but so do many scientific theories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

cavedave wrote: »
    Why not also ask if we believe the standard model? Why does evolution have the monopoly on being scientific theory for atheists? Granted evolution makes the first few pages of Genesis look a bit sill but so do many scientific theories.

Evolution is the idea that explains all of life's diversity, and how great function and complexity can emerge without an intelligence guiding the development. It often plays a pivotal role in whether or not someone accepts atheism. The standard model doesn't really play such a role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I voted don't know because I didn't know what was meant by "neo"-Darwinian evolution. But isn't it just called "Darwinian" evolution?

Anyway, yes I totally accept evolution. I accept it as being more certain than the holocaust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No
    Yes, of course.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

No
    I voted don't know because I didn't know what was meant by "neo"-Darwinian evolution. But isn't it just called "Darwinian" evolution?

Darwin didn't know about genes. Modern evolutionary theory is genecentric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

No
    Everything dies, some stuff is better at not dying, or breeding in great numbers before it does.

That about sums up evolution for me, so yeah, i can dig it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

No
    Dragan wrote: »
    Everything dies, some stuff is better at not dying, or breeding in great numbers before it does.
    Three words:

Differential reproductive success.

Advertisement