Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on this rig

Options
  • 26-11-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx
    not sure on cpu cooler

GPU looking at 5850

have a monitor, keyboard, mouse

also where is the cheapest place to buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

interwebs fail!

you have to save your kart as a shopping list in order for people to be able to see it. register with komplett, save shopping list then share or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

think its sorted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

nope, its not :)

1. log in
    2. put your stuff in the cart
    3. in the shopping cart page type a name for the stuff in the little form and click save.
    4. tick the box that says ''Make it possible for you to share this with others'' and click save
    5. then under where it says edit shopping list, click 'share'
    6. copy link (there should be a unique 30 digit ID at the end of the url) and post/share/blah...

komplett should really put this somewhere in their help section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Build looks fine, I presume you'll be gaming? Are you going to put everything on the one hard drive? You would be better off with a seperate drive for your OS. Hardwareversand.de are usually cheapest but the likes of dabs.ie, komplett.ie and sometimes overclockers.co.uk will get you the same for little price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well firstly,
    What resolution will you be playing your games at?
    Do you want to play the latest games?
    Do you use any other applications?
    Will you be over clocking?
    Not as important as you might think, but you could tell us your budget too

On the build you posted.
    That case is huge, you should really see a full tower case b4 you decide that you'd want one. No huge benefits to getting one either. Unless you need the space for hard-drives.
    The psu you have is very much overkill and even a 650watt would do 5850's in xfire.
    Ram is expensive and for price performance, it's not usually a great place to spend.

Oh yeah and ebuyer seem to be the cheapest place goin these days, check them out. Would deffo be worth it to price similar builds to the opposing sites. Be wary of overclockers though as they charge the irish vat rate at checkout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Not a bad build at all. I have to agree with the above comment. The 932 really is big ! And also, id drop the F1 Samsung drive, and go for the newer F3 model, its a good bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If your going to overclock you would be alot safer with X58 system due to dodgy Foxconn P55 sockets. Anti just blew a i7 860 and for less that €50 in the difference I went i7 920 D0 + Gigabyte EX58-UD5 for peace of mind.

Deffo change the F1 to an F3 1TB as its the next best thing to SSD drives and not only is uber fast its really quite as well.

The HAF 932 is a really awesome case with perfect layout and the fans are nice and quite as well. It not as big as people make it out to be imho but get a tape measure and check out its size just to be sure.

Overclockers vat sucks ass but they have a huge selection of stock at the best prices when converted to Euros and the DHL delivery option is amazing. Stuff I ordered at 2pm tuesday arrived 11 am the next day :D Komplett equal priced option took 4 days but if you can get to the pick up point its nice.

Heard alot of bad stories about ebuyer so checked them out by ordering a 120mm fan and 20 hours later my credit card was still in security check mode so order was cancelled and went to OC.uk and komplett for bits I needed with no hassle.

ok guys i have an xps710 and the cases are pretty much the same size so as for the sixe of the HAF 932 im happy with that.

the res i play at is 1920x1200 like to have all bells and whistles going and usually play the latest games.

mostly will be used for gaming, watching movies and surfing the web

budget about €900. Gf buying graphics card and case.

what ram would you reccommend?

also is a modular psu better than a hard wired one?

aslo can you reccommend a second hard drive for os?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

budget about €900. Gf buying graphics card and case.

So is that a budget of €900 pre gpu and case?
    also is a modular psu better than a hard wired one?
    The only difference between a modular psu and wired on is that a modular psu will not have as many cables coming from it. Now this can help airflow if you've got no cable management in the case.
    With your case however, there's very little reason to get one.
    Some will still say you should though!

also can you reccommend a second hard drive for os?

Well you could get a SSD which would speed up boot times and loading times in games.
    They are quite expensive though!
    So a samsung f3 would be good.

You also never said if you'll be overclocking or not... :D

sorry ;)
    im not up on overclocking now but want to learn more about it and have the option if i need or want to overclock.

im a bit of a neat freak so cable management will be high on my build so i will stick with modular psu

was looking at these Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ) could get 2 of them?

which RAM should i get?

as for budget i speced it all up on Hardwareversand.de and excluding GPU and heatsink (which i need a reccommendation for) it came in at
    €837 ex shipping

i read somewhere the new Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5 uses Lotes socket and the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 uses Foxconn sockets only €20 difference worth it?

No point getting 2 500gb's tbh, just get the 1tb, which willwork out cheaper.

This
    Venom wrote: »
    Deffo change the F1 to an F3 1TB as its the next best thing to SSD drives and not only is uber fast its really quite as well.

and this:
    The HAF 932 is a really awesome case with perfect layout and the fans are nice and quite as well. It not as big as people make it out to be imho but get a tape measure and check out its size just to be sure.

I agree with 100%.
    Overclockers vat sucks ass but they have a huge selection of stock at the best prices when converted to Euros and the DHL delivery option is amazing. Stuff I ordered at 2pm tuesday arrived 11 am the next day :D Komplett equal priced option took 4 days but if you can get to the pick up point its nice.

This, I'm not sure about. I've ordered stuff off overclocker before. Stuff arrived on schedule and in grand nick and all, but I had to contact customers services a number of times because their system shut me out (i.e. no confirmation, tracking, receipt) and they weren't particularly helpful (they gave me the tracking number after some hassle over the phone). So, they are great if everything goes to plan, if not it can be an ordeal and this tends to be the general experience (was in contact with a few others with similar gripes). I'm not saying not to buy from them, because i got my stuff in good time and in good order in the end. But just be warned!

After market CPU cooler is definitely advised, although the HAF airflow is that good if you don't plan overcocking you don't need a particularly good one at all. It all depends on what you want to spend on it tbh, with the HAF you can fit anything in there with room to spare, even the massive Noctua NH-D14.

This

and this:

I agree with 100%.

This, I'm not sure about. I've ordered stuff off overclocker before. Stuff arrived on schedule and in grand nick and all, but I had to contact customers services a number of times because their system shut me out (i.e. no confirmation, tracking, receipt) and they weren't particularly helpful (they gave me the tracking number after some hassle over the phone). So, they are great if everything goes to plan, if not it can be an ordeal and this tends to be the general experience (was in contact with a few others with similar gripes). I'm not saying not to buy from them, because i got my stuff in good time and in good order in the end. But just be warned!

Well when I first bought from them they needed proof of identy but a scan and email of a utility bill and 5 minite phone call sorted it out.

so Anti what about installing the OS on a seperate drive?
    it only works out €8 dearer for 2 instead of 1

sorry ;)
    im not up on overclocking now but want to learn more about it and have the option if i need or want to overclock.

im a bit of a neat freak so cable management will be high on my build so i will stick with modular psu

was looking at these Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ) could get 2 of them?

which RAM should i get?

as for budget i speced it all up on Hardwareversand.de and excluding GPU and heatsink (which i need a reccommendation for) it came in at
    €837 ex shipping

i read somewhere the new Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5 uses Lotes socket and the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 uses Foxconn sockets only €20 difference worth it?

Avoid Foxconn sockets like the plague on P55 systems. To many reports of them going boom under stock speeds to give the benifet of the doubt to.

The Samsung F3 1TB is a faster drive overall than the 500GB version and difference in price between the two is not worth worring about tbh. Im using a F3 1TB for OS+ essentials and another for mass storage .

As for ram Iv always used the Corsair Dominator series and yet to have a problem but like all top teir gear you pay a fair wack for it. If your not going to OC the cheeper stuff is good enough.

Modular PSU is deffo the way to go as for your system you will probley only need to plug in 2 of the Sata power leads so its a HUGE amout of space saved over non modular PSUs even in a 932.

I suppose yeah, but i'd always rather 1 larger drive then 2 smaller ones. But its your choice :) Coudl always partition the drive

Nice info guys what about cpu coolers?

ok so 1 f3 drive it is so
    modular psu
    p55a mobo

whats hardwareversand like to order from?

Nice info guys what about cpu coolers?

ok so 1 f3 drive it is so
    modular psu
    p55a mobo

whats hardwareversand like to order from?

Never ordered from them as its kinda a pain in the ass with the run around you have to go through.

Running a Prolinatech Megashadow with 2 Xilence RedWing 120mm fans myself and chip is at 23c :)

• Advertisement

Nice info guys what about cpu coolers

well, you could spent €80 on one, or €15 and be happy depending on your uses.

If you're serious about getting into overclocking and want the biggest and the best then the three high end coolers are the Noctua NH-D14, the Prolimatech Megahalem and the Thermalright IFX-14. The exact difference between all 3 is debatable, however the Noctua does perform better than the others at low RPMs (i.e. making less noise).

If you just want the possibility of a moderate overclock, then all those are overkill. Other's will have a much better idea than myself in this budget range, but possibilities are the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

I'm a fan of Noctua products myself, great quality, slightly fiddly assembly but very easy to mount and sturdy too. But the best thing is they operate great at low RPMs (if noise is an issue for you, you can run this near silent and still be able to overclock a bit) and they have everything you need in the box, no need to buy thermal paste, extra fans or fan mounts or additional mounting kits, whereas you can't be sure of this with the other brands.
    Never ordered from them as its kinda a pain in the ass with the run around you have to go through.

Running a Prolinatech Megashadow with 2 Xilence RedWing 120mm fans myself and chip is at 23c :)

You're house must freezing. Most i7's run about 10c over ambient i'd say, even with high end like the megahalem.

low noise would be the best bet for me overclocking will be minimal to start with

well, you could spent €80 on one, or €15 and be happy depending on your uses.

If you're serious about getting into overclocking and want the biggest and the best then the three high end coolers are the Noctua NH-D14, the Prolimatech Megahalem and the Thermalright IFX-14. The exact difference between all 3 is debatable, however the Noctua does perform better than the others at low RPMs (i.e. making less noise).

If you just want the possibility of a moderate overclock, then all those are overkill. Other's will have a much better idea than myself in this budget range, but possibilities are the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

I'm a fan of Noctua products myself, great quality, slightly fiddly assembly but very easy to mount and sturdy too. But the best thing is they operate great at low RPMs (if noise is an issue for you, you can run this near silent and still be able to overclock a bit) and they have everything you need in the box, no need to buy thermal paste, extra fans or fan mounts or additional mounting kits, whereas you can't be sure of this with the other brands.

You're house must freezing. Most i7's run about 10c over ambient i'd say, even with high end like the megahalem.

Nope nice and toasty here :) Megashadow + Haf932 and the Xilence fans rock :cool:

Nope nice and toasty here :) Megashadow + Haf932 and the Xilence fans rock :cool:

then your temps are near physically impossible? :confused:

what are you using to read temps? i used find the likes of Speed fan and other utilities were way off for the i7, the only app that game me consistent readings were one of RealTemp CoreTemp and they report it 10c above all others (I idle somewhere around 30c usually which is about average looking around the place).

then your temps are near physically impossible? :confused:

what are you using to read temps? i used find the likes of Speed fan and other utilities were way off for the i7, the only app that game me consistent readings were one of RealTemp CoreTemp and they report it 10c above all others (I idle somewhere around 30c usually which is about average looking around the place).

Was using the PC health settings in bios. Im at 31-33c average with the proggys you mentioned.

low noise would be the best bet for me overclocking will be minimal to start with

Then my recommendation is the Noctua NH-U12P that i linked to above. It's big, but a great all round cooler. I have my i7 easily overclocked to 3.5Ghz and temps are pretty low* and all round it's pretty quiet, quiet enough for me to write a thesis without being bothered by noise at least. I dont use the low noise adapters though as the GFX card is the loudest thing in my system so there's no real point.

However, some people feel high end coolers like the Noctua products aren't worth the premium. The Scythe Mugen II
    is slightly more reasonable and worth looking at.

Btw, if noise is an issue you might want to consider getting a fan controller too.

*if anyone wants the specifics the highest temps I've seen on this thing (using Prime95 Blend) is is 58c which is pretty good i think. For games and that it hardly goes above 45c
    Was using the PC health settings in bios. Im at 31-33c average with the proggys you mentioned.

About average so. You'll only start to see that Megahalem shine when you put it under some stress testing. :D

Advertisement