Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPW flood project is supposed to protect the town for "100 years".

• 26-11-2009 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting reading. obviously they grossly under estimated the power of mother nature.

Its back to the drawing board lads :D

Dated the 11th Mar 2008 Irish Costruction.

The Office of Public Works (OPW) has just placed a contract for the Civil Engineering Works with Carillion Irishenco, to begin work on the first phase of the €26 relief scheme associated with the River Fergus Upper (Ennis) Flood Relief Scheme.

The contract provides for the widening of the river channel, construction of new walls and improvements to existing walls, construction of pumping stations, and refurbishment and replacement of the existing sluice gate upstream at Mill Bridge.

The Civil Engineering Works contract was been awarded to Carillion Irishenco Ltd of Kill, County Kildare, and is valued at over €5.185m. The overall Flood Relief Scheme for the town has been broken into two schemes (Upper and Lower).

Local TD Tony Kileen said that the Ennis Flood Relief Scheme would significantly reduce the risk of flooding to properties and land in Ennis and its environs.

He explained, “Major flood events have taken place in the County Capital on and off throughout the centuries. We have seen parts of the town centre flood in more recent years, including 1989, 1994, 1995, 1999 and, to a lesser extent, in 2004. Without the development and implementation of a flood relief plan there is no doubt that the town will incur further flooding, which has disastrous financial and personal consequences for local residents and business owners.”

Once completed, the Upper Scheme will give areas from the lower scheme protection against a 10 year flood event. The completion of the entire scheme will provide a ‘100 year’ flood event protection and will benefit over 500 residential and 400 non-residential properties in the town”, he indicated. :pac::pac::pac:

http://www.irishconstruction.com/page/264

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not meaning to nit pick, but the part that you highlighted says when the project is completed it'll protect the town, they've only done about a fifth of it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Part of the scheme will involve the construction of a flood plain at Cappahard. This will act as an extra reservoir.

At the moment, they are resolving flooding issues in certain area but this displacement is causing water to appear in other places.

Traditionally, Parnell street was always flooded, but not this time at all. However, Abbey street got the buck passed onto it as a result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clarecastle and Parnell Street used to always flood, I've heard that Abbey Street flooded because of the new bridge, it's the flooding down the Clare Road (Flannan's) that's the biggest worry to me, I can never remember that flooding before (ok I'm not that old, but you know what I mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

Clareman wrote: »
    Clarecastle and Parnell Street used to always flood, I've heard that Abbey Street flooded because of the new bridge, it's the flooding down the Clare Road (Flannan's) that's the biggest worry to me, I can never remember that flooding before (ok I'm not that old, but you know what I mean)

Abbey Street/Francis Street flooded for 2 reasons, first the river wall at the back of Marian Petty's solicitors office (old houses across from the abbey) gave way under the pressure allowing the river to flow out through the lane and indeed through the houses themselves. It then collected in the lowest point which unfortunately for the business owners meant the corner of abbey st and francis street which has NEVER flooded before.
    The second reason was the increased water flow as a result of the remedial works in the parnell st area bveing beefed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Sure we'll all be living in pods on the moon by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

That "100 year protection" doesn't protect for 100 years. It means it protects against a flood that has a probability of happening once in 100 years.In Cumbria in England they have had two 100 year floods in 4 years.

Its all to do with probability.A 100 year flood has a probability of 1% to happen any one year.It is possible to have a 100 year flood every year. I think this flood is something like a 600 or 800 year flood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I think this flood is something like a 600 or 800 year flood.
    We should know that in 5 years time. :eek:

Advertisement