Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locomotive 124

• 26-11-2009 2:28am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/ITG_locos/loco_124.htm
    Locomotive 124 was secured for preservation by the Irish Traction Group in November 2009, and was sold to the Group for the nominal sum of € 1 plus VAT.

I saw it heading westwards on the back of a truck on the Chapelizod bypass this evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Do the ITG have another one besides this? Whre is 134? These locos were nearly always seen in pairs particularly on the Rosslare route. Also I hope that its restored to its pre "Supertrain" Black & tan livery. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they got 146 just recently and 190 also i think
    141 preserved by RPSI

don't think 134 is preserved as yet

I saw it heading westwards on the back of a truck on the Chapelizod bypass this evening.

on its way to Carrick-on-Suir I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why didn't they move it by rail?

Two reason I can think of

1) Its Fooked and IE won't give a loco to shove it down west for a reasonable price

2) Its going somewhere without a direct rail connection to be restored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

loyatemu wrote: »
    why didn't they move it by rail?

As far as I know 124 is destined to be preserved marooned at Moyasta Junction on the 'new' West Clare Railway so movement by rail could be a bit of a problem! :D

A39, also owned by the ITG, went to Downpatrick in the last few days by road and has already been running. A lorry from the UK had to be brought over to move the loco and it is apparently the same one that was used to move 124.

Incidentally, the c-class loco that was at Cahirciveen and latterly at Waterford South has gone - apparently to Dunsandle on the former Loughrea branch - anybody know for sure? I love steam, and Cravens, and I must go now time for my medication.......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Incidentally, the c-class loco that was at Cahirciveen and latterly at Waterford South has gone - apparently to Dunsandle on the former Loughrea branch - anybody know for sure? I love steam, and Cravens, and I must go now time for my medication.......

I briefly saw an ancient Diesel loco in Dunsandle Station during the summer and wondered WTF :eek: . It is located only a few yards towards Bullaun or the Turoe Stone from the Loughrea junction on the new M6 motorway and a short detour to find out for sure once that Motorway opens later this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

IRN is thataway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been told by my brother (the rail enthusiast, although he'll kill you if you suggest that...) that Dunsandle station is owned by a railway heritage enthusiast, and has track relaid at it; hence the loco going there could make sense.

I didn't notice track , he has more than just a loco there from what I vaguely remember but I am not a locosexual and cannot comment. The road outside was raddled with giant potholes at the time as part of the M6 construction works .

• Advertisement

And a bit more info here: http://dunsandlestation.blogspot.com/

In my early trainspotting days, in the early 1980s, I have happy memories of working on the permanent way at Attymon Junction. Ironically Maybach diesel E428 was railed to Attymon from Mullingar Railway Scrapyard around 1982 (?) and later moved to Westrail (Tuam Station) and had the honour to be the first and I think, only, privately preserved diesel locomotive to haul a passenger train on the mainline in Ireland. We travelled from Claremorris to Ballina at a rather alarming speed in a train of steam heated 'Cravens' - the nominal speed restriction for the loco of 25mph being loosely interpreted! I'm afraid Guinness, advancing senility and a lack of interest means that I have forgotten the year. Perhaps Tarquin from Crewe can fill in the details. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

You're all mad!:D

DWCommuter wrote: »

[mental smiley]

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

DWCommuter wrote: »

But at least they're not English ;)

/csd

Sorry, 'as British as Finchley' I'm afraid! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

csd wrote: »
    But at least they're not English ;)

/csd

I am...and Im quite mental too..(I might be a Locosexual also but Im not sure what that is...if it involves humping locos then Im definate not....) I am also an ex Trainspotter, LOVE trains to bits (almost as much as certain cars) and never travel on them as I cant afford them having paid the road tax on said cars....(and the rest of the fleet)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

As far as I know 124 is destined to be preserved marooned at Moyasta Junction on the 'new' West Clare Railway so movement by rail could be a bit of a problem! :D

Actually, I think the move to Moyasta will be a good thing. They are building a museum there where the locomotives can be kept under cover. There's a heap of other ITG locos going there too. It'll be a lot more appropriate than just leaving them in the open air rusting at Inchicore.

Sending it to Downpatrick was never an option as the axle loads for the 121/141/181 classes are too high.

I feel so debased after engaging in such trainspotter talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd have though an 'A Class had a higher axle load than any of the smaller GM's.

121 - 64 tonnes /4 axles = 16 tonnes per axle

141/181 - 67 tonnes /4 axles = 16.75 tpa

A - 83 tonnes /6 axles = 13.83 tpa

Hungerford wrote: »
    Actually, I think the move to Moyasta will be a good thing. They are building a museum there where the locomotives can be kept under cover. There's a heap of other ITG locos going there too. It'll be a lot more appropriate than just leaving them in the open air rusting at Inchicore.

Sending it to Downpatrick was never an option as the axle loads for the 121/141/181 classes are too high.

I feel so debased after engaging in such trainspotter talk

According to a thread on Irish Railway News about A39 going to Downpatrick one of their officials states that their line is cleared for locos up to 17 ton axle loading. So 121/141/181 class locos would all be possible to operate there. As far as I know a shed not a museum is what is to be built at the remote Moyasta location.

• Advertisement

As far as I know a shed not a museum is what is to be built at the remote Moyasta location.
    :mad:

According to a thread on Irish Railway News about A39 going to Downpatrick one of their officials states that their line is cleared for locos up to 17 ton axle loading. So 121/141/181 class locos would all be possible to operate there.

That was what i was thinking,it'd be a shame to see it as a static exhibit and not running.

lord lucan wrote: »
    That was what i was thinking,it'd be a shame to see it as a static exhibit and not running.

true, though static better than nothing!

Very true,121's are my favourite locos,great that it'll survive in some form i suppose.

And the form of static proposed is considerably better than IE's idea of static:

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/I/Inchicore/slides/AEC%20railcar%206111%20at%20Inchicore.html

And that incidentally, is a hugely historic item: the sole surviving AEC railcar.

Very true,121's are my favourite locos,great that it'll survive in some form i suppose.

Murphy Models and Bachmann will be making a 00 gauge model of it in 2011
    Not quite the same thing but :D:D:D

And the form of static proposed is considerably better than IE's idea of static:

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/I/Inchicore/slides/AEC%20railcar%206111%20at%20Inchicore.html.
    Edit: And that incidentally, is a hugely historic item: the sole surviving 1/2 an AEC railcar, its like as if they cut the head off a snake and dumped the rest of it. :mad:

Edit: And that incidentally, is a hugely historic item: the sole surviving 1/2 an AEC railcar. :mad:

why so historic?

Its only a railcar

Its only a railcar

:rolleyes:

It's the sole survivor of the CIE AEC railcar fleet, which was introduced in 1951. They were the first-ever railcars to be used on the CIE mainlines.

• Advertisement

They were the first-ever railcars to be used on the CIE mainlines.

Drumms anybody ?? Nearly 20 years earlier .

Sponge Bob wrote: »

These were nickel zinc battery driven and were mostly confined to shorter suburban duties. Withdrawn after their batteries needed replacement after the war, they eventually ended up in the same faith as AEC railcars with their guts removed and used as carriages. Unfortunately non of these are preserved. :mad:

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Okay - they were the first diesel powered railcars to run on the CIE mainlines. And with the demise of the Drumms, that rusting hulk is the earliest surviving CIE railcar.

Okay - they were the first diesel powered railcars to run on the CIE mainlines. And with the demise of the Drumms, that rusting hulk is the earliest surviving CIE railcar.
    You must also remember that the undercarriage diesel motor, gearbox, original seating, horizontal window wipers, etc were butchered from it in the mid 70ies to convert it to push pulls powered by a C class. It will be a major task to restore it to its former glory.

Also looking at this photo I would also guess the chronometric speedometer and other instruments are long swiped from it by souveneer hunters. http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/I/Inchicore/slides/Cab%20of%206111%20at%20Inchicore.html

:rolleyes:

It's the sole survivor of the CIE AEC railcar fleet, which was introduced in 1951. They were the first-ever railcars to be used on the CIE mainlines.

so thats when the decline started :pac:

In fairness Cookie Monster the AEC railcars were the epitome of luxury when compared with the awful commuter railcars that have been inflicted on us and, indeed, would compare favourably with the 22000s save for speed.

Just talking to a friend tonight, hot foot from Moyasta, and he tells me that 190 plus another unidentified 141/181 type GM loco, c231 and a 121 loco have arrived there. A15, privately owned, is also on site. All are covered and are located beside Taylors Pub across the road from Moyasta Junction.

• Advertisement

How much standard/Irish gauge track does Moyasta have? Seeing as the WCR was narrow gauge...

Just talking to a friend tonight, hot foot from Moyasta, and he tells me that 190 plus another unidentified 141/181 type GM loco, c231 and a 121 loco have arrived there. A15, privately owned, is also on site. All are covered and are located beside Taylors Pub across the road from Moyasta Junction.

I'm 95% certain its 146 and 5% 141. Both have been preservved but I think 141 was RPSI rather than ITG

I'm 95% certain its 146 and 5% 141. Both have been preservved but I think 141 was RPSI rather than ITG

The RPSI deffo have 141. IE have agreed to "give" 146 to the ITG when she's withdrawn next year.

MYOB wrote: »
    How much standard/Irish gauge track does Moyasta have? Seeing as the WCR was narrow gauge...

Enough to stand the locos on at present but apparently the 'plan' is to eventually have dual gauge between Kilrush and Kilkee. Lol :D

015 is looking very sorry in this pic(from Eiretrains).
    Moyasta%20Junction%20(19).JPG

There was a website at some time a few years back to raise funds for the restoration of 015,not an ITG project. I was always curious as to what happened to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Preservation is great. Its a different beast to trainspotting.

DW have to disagree with you there - railway preservation should be fun but not in Ireland. Official apathy, CIE incompetence, lack of support from the 'so-called' enthusiast community and a total lack of funding leads inevitably to failure, acrimony and ruination. I know, been there, got the video, t-shirt and a long list of people who I will never speak to again. It shouldn't be like that but it is; believe me and stay well away from it. And before you mention the RPSI - that is an entirely different kettle of fish!

015 is looking very sorry in this pic(from Eiretrains).
    Moyasta%20Junction%20(19).JPG

There was a website at some time a few years back to raise funds for the restoration of 015,not an ITG project. I was always curious as to what happened to it.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/M/Moyasta%20Junction/slides/Moyasta%20Junction%20(19).html cause that image link won't work

I've seen a pic of it repainted in green and with some glass in it since; so somethings been happening at least.

According to ITG website, the unidentified locomotive is Metrovick A3R. IRN claims that 146 is rostered to do ballast trains in Mayo from next week and won't be withdrawn until next year.

It's good to see 190 being preserved - I was concerned at the pace at which IE were scrapping 181s that there wouldn't be any left.

And before you mention the RPSI - that is an entirely different kettle of fish!

In fairness, the ITG seem to be making real progress with 226 lately.

D'oh Apologies, I had heard/seen somewhere that 146 was shipped off to the home already :pac:
    Must have meant that it will be preserved

I just hope they bring 124 back to old colours. Never liked that over sized IE logo. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The 121s started out life all silver with yellow stripes on the ends. I' much prefare that to any other coulor scheme they carried over the years.

Where'd they find 190, pull it out of a swamp:eek::P
    Its manky compared to 124
    I just hope they bring 124 back to old colours. Never liked that over sized IE logo. :mad:
    The 121s started out life all silver with yellow stripes on the ends. I' much prefare that to any other coulor scheme they carried over the years.

The silver and yellow was horrible looking. The black doesn't look as good on the 121's as the 141's. I far prefere the orange IE livery that its in now, better than the supertrain too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement