Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locomotive 124

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The silver and yellow was horrible looking. The black doesn't look as good on the 121's as the 141's. I far prefere the orange IE livery that its in now, better than the supertrain too.

I originally thought they should go back to the silver and yellow myself but seeing as the current orange/black w/ white stripe is virtually extinct i think it should be left in that livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

lord lucan wrote: »
    I originally thought they should go back to the silver and yellow myself but seeing as the current orange/black w/ white stripe is virtually extinct i think it should be left in that livery.

The problem with the silver livery from what I can gather is that it was very tricky to maintain. If you notice, even the new silver and black 071 livery is mostly black.

Where'd they find 190, pull it out of a swamp:eek::P
    Its manky compared to 124.

Here's a quickie - are either of those two locos in working order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hungerford wrote: »

don't know.

I would imagine that 190 still works, doubt 124 is runable.

It seems that there'll be quite a number of Baby GMs around in the future - the RPSI have also apparently bought 142.

It seems that there'll be quite a number of Baby GMs around in the future - the RPSI have also apparently bought 142.

I see the guys on IRN reckon there'll be 1 kept at Whitehead and 1 kept down south. They could be used to 'rescue' a failed steam loco. Makes sense given the cull of loco's by IE,they wouldn't have anything spare to haul a failed steam special if it fouled up a single line section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Are you sure because their previous incursions into diesel preservation have been disastrous? :confused:

Are you sure because their previous incursions into diesel preservation have been disastrous? :confused:

I think these are being bought for practical reasons. The 2 Hunslets are up at Whitehead rusting away,they haven't the funds or the manpower to do anything with them.

I hope the RPSI look after 141 and 142, considering their history with the NIR 101 class diesels. Someone suggested that 142 may be used as a parts donor but since the two have different engines I doubt this is the case. 141 is currently stored in the yard in Portlaoise.
    According to a thread on Irish Railway News about A39 going to Downpatrick one of their officials states that their line is cleared for locos up to 17 ton axle loading. So 121/141/181 class locos would all be possible to operate there. As far as I know a shed not a museum is what is to be built at the remote Moyasta location.

One of the Downpatrick boys recently posted on IRN that the axle loading of a 141/181 is slightly above the limit on one of their bridges but a 121 is slightly within the limit so 124 would be ok.
    I have heard from a good source within IÉ that 124 is still functional but its batteries would be flat at this stage. It was originally withdrawn as it needs new wheelsets though.
    Where'd they find 190, pull it out of a swamp:eek::P
    Its manky compared to 124
    152 is just as bad, if not worse. But only on the outside, it's mechanically sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Someone pointed this out in the ATR Forum.

121 series depicted in 1960's National Anthem.

Before they were paired up back to back, It seems to be hauling a heap of carriages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

All poxy laminates not a Craven in site!!! I love steam (heating)........:D

As late as 1985 a single 121 class hauled 10 (!) bogies from Cork to Youghal and back. The turntable at Youghal had to be specially refurbished to allow the loco to be turned.

Someone pointed this out in the ATR Forum.

121 series depicted in 1960's National Anthem.

Before they were paired up back to back, It seems to be hauling a heap of carriages.
    Yeah that was me. :) I doubt that train was able to go at a decent speed considering it was a single 121 and about 8 coaches or thereabouts. Couldn't ever imagine a single 121/141/181 on a full 8-piece Mk3 set.

Advertisement