Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell workers 23 million fund

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The reason this special funding is being put in place is because:
    a) 2000+ workers being made redundant altogether in a city of 100,000 is a fairly unusual event and its believed that 8000 more jobs will be lost due to the knock on impact due to the loss of wages and other work to the local economy (the only proportionately worse set of layoffs was the Seagate closure in Clonmel in the late 1990s, but this was against an over backdrop of increasing not falling employment, secondly, a lot of the Seagate workers were young or mobile workers). One of the efforts in the wake of the Seagate closure was to try to avoid overdependence on a single large employer in a region - a key change was attempts to encourage lots of smaller businesses rather than one huge one.
    b) the loss to GNP cannot be underestimated - at one point Dell may have been contributing as much as 15% - thus the loss needs to be tackled as rapidly as possible
    c) contrary to popular mythology, Dell paid relatively low wages and had very poor conditions for a large percentage of workers (I recall a particularly large gap between grade B and grade C, but that was in the Dublin support centre - Limerick, having more A grades, would have been worse again). As a result over the years the quality of the workforce had deteriorated in terms of experience and qualifications. There is some evidence that a lot of workers have very basic skills so many would need more extensive retraining.
    d) its much easier to train a large batch in a few companies in very large and well defined role sets than it is to customize plans for a large group of very disparate employees. Some of the Dell departments alone were not only huge, they had a lot of people doing almost the same thing.

Overall I think its a wise plan for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

But other companies have closed and they get no help is all i am saying.Plus what is the 23million bing used for?do the workers get a lump sum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Itll hardly be a lump sum scenario, the likelihood is that a training fund with be provided to all of the workers and they'll be able to claim against it up to a certain amount for approved courses.

Lets hope fás arent contracted in for the retraining.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

As far as I am aware FAS will have an involvement.Also there is no lump sum scenario.It is to be used for training, re-training etc.To be honest it is all very murky and I don't think anybody really knows anything about how to go about availing of the benefits.Certainly none of my friends who worked in/are still working in Dell for the next few weeks know anything about it.One thing is for sure: some individuals are going to clean up from this.Overpriced training courses will be the order of the day and presumably relatives of local and national politicians will be involved as is normal for this bastion of corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

collages f.a.s. and admi will get the bulk of it, for retraining etc, the workers will not get any cash, also how many of them will be able or fit for collage, how will they get there, bus taxi walk cycle, dole will be cut in the budget, so they will have less disposable income, the people that need it most will be unable to touch it, the usual story.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement