Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make a text "video" from spreadsheet data

Options
  • 26-11-2009 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Ye wha? says you, im trying to figure out a way to do this: http://www.vimeo.com/7790539

In the video above its done with a propretary and expensive camera. What id like to do is export raw data from what is essentially a spreadsheet (sampled at 12hz) and make a "live" video/animation of the data. I would then will then take this animation and overlay it over the onboard video. The overlay part is easy of course!! I dont need a fancy rev-counter graphic like in that video, just plain old updated text would be fine.

Any ideas on how i can accomplish this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

OK so I have two ideas so far.

1) I "think" I can use imagemagick to make bitmaps for each frame, then I could just import this into animation studio I guess. Im not sure how to make the bitmaps from this yet.

2) It turns out the data acquisition sofware has a playback mode where it displays a live "dashboard" of sorts (pic below). I could play this, capture it with fraps and then composite it with the onboard video footage.

racestudiodash.jpg

Any other ideas?

/edit Why the hell isnt the image tag working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

You could use a tool like Adobe Director to import the data, create a 'timeline' animation and export that in a video format.

Peter

Advertisement