Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Professor Bertie Ahern, (this is not a joke)...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Professor Ahern

Lolz

A professor in.......

He hasn't even done a LC shur

*Efforts to contact Mr Ahern for comment last night were unsuccessful.

lolz (again)

'Professor' Ahern must think the dust has settled after his tremendous tenure as taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

This is wrong. Maynooth should not be objecting to Bertie Ahern's appointment due to his personal financial irregularities.

They should be objecting on the basis of his fundamentally flawed and grossly damaging legacy to politics and society and ethics in this country since the day he entered Dáil Éireann. His methodologies, his ruthless shafting of anyone and everyone to get ahead, his utter lack of principles, his knowing promotion of very corrupt and damaging people to positions of influence, his turning of politics in this country into nothing more than a flea market sale, all of these things have sucked the life blood out of the country and it's people. His legacy is a country destroyed with cheap and ill planned infrastructure, gross neglect of fundamental and necessary public services like health, law and order, transport, and a people apathetic from years of selfish and irresponsible government, with never any long term strategy other than the fire sale of self respect to buy every election, poisoning politics for a whole generation.

The matter of his personal finances pales into insignificance in the face of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

A professor in.......

Winnin a few grand on the horsies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Jaysus

he is a disgrace really, and you feel for all the Doctor's and academics around the world if a ***beep like Ahern can become a Professor.

Bob Geldof and Tony Blair have awards but Sly Smirking Bertie is not fit to cut their toe nails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Ah, let him do it... as long as it's not a paid position. It might be enlightening to NUIM's mediation students to know that the famed broker of peace in Northern Ireland (snort) and the Nice Treaty double referendum sham (guffaw) is an illiterate half-wit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I thought bertie is still in office ,which means he is being paid.

He'd be better off down in cork ,helping people out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If Ahern is to be awarded his professorship for his mediation skills, perhaps Maynooth should consider making posthumous awards to Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein, for their work in the field of population control.
    Honestly, it's just another example of how a certain sector, at the top of Irish society, can see no guilt or wrong in "one of their own".
    Innocent until proven guilty? That's a joke, even if he is found guilty by the show trial that is the Mahon Tribunal, I doubt he would ever stand trial in a Court of Law as the evidence exposed in the Tribunal would be seen to be predjudicial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What will his honorary doctorate be for? Neurotherapy (bearing in mind all his memeory loss problems)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

yoshytoshy wrote: »

I heard an irate flood victim on the radio today suggesting Brian Cowen could be used as a sandbag. Maybe Bertie could be used as a sand bag too. Doubtless he'd be crap at this too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

When is the Mahon report to be released !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm so proud of the old Alma Mater... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He does indeed hold a seat. He is too busy with other matters to use it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well, he WAS down in Cork one of the days that we were paying him to be a TD......and he was using the ministerial car as well...

....only he wasn't working for us; he was there promoting his book!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

But it's not just "personal financial irregularities"......it's ethics and dodgy practices as Minister for Finance (blank cheques for Haughey, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Regardless, it still gives weight to the myth that Bertie was the sole broker of the Northern Peace agreement, and all which flowed from it. The reality is, there were far more people involved then Bertie. When Bertie was still in nappies (not literally) Austin Currie, John Hume etc were engrossed in peace brokering. In 1985 Mary Harney was expelled from Fianna Fail for rejecting the FF position on the Anglo Irish Agreement (another precursor to GFA). On the other hand, Bertie happily backed that up. Albert Reynolds (who Bertie screwed, while giving Reynolds the thumbs up at a Presedential election Selection convention) pushed through the Downing Street Declaration in 1993, which was another major step.

Bertie has created a myth that he was the lynchpin of the Northern negotiations. However, there were far more then him, and they made it ripe for somebody to go in and seal the deal.

I assume this is only an honourary thing ? I can imagine Bertie giving year long courses in the matter ?

What sort of accusation is that to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hardly surprising it is this institution that is the one that wants to reward an immoral unethical individual. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how many paedophiles went through it's seminary ?

At least there are some ethical people within the college that are trying to prevent this travesty happening.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Darragh29 wrote: »

I despair at this society so, so much. Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

One thing that is just crossing my mind is how much influence and power do the church still have in Maynooth ?
    Maybe the church would like to reward the taoiseach that brought in an abuse settlement agreement that was so generous to the interests of the church ?

Ah but sure things like that don't happen in Ireland, you know rewarding people because they are friends gving digouts rather than for their ability. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

He's a disgrace. And everyone in Ireland with money worries is paying the price for his stewardship of the country.

jmayo wrote: »
    One thing that is just crossing my mind is how much influence and power do the church still have in Maynooth ?
    Maybe the church would like to reward the taoiseach that brought in an abuse settlement agreement that was so generous to the interests of the church ?

The church has no influence there, the seminary is a separate college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's the economy, stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Fair play to the 36 heads that stood up to be counted and said basically, "enough of rewarding liars and convenient memory loss crooks!"
    If that man gets any type of further reward from such an institution, their funding (if any) should be pulled!

Bloody disgraceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Seems like not everyone is happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Last I checked, YouTube user "feemaynooth", aged 29, did not represent "the very same institution" Maynooth college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

lord jesus, "peace process, peace process, peace process!!!!" if I hear anymore about it, the whole thing is a sham and a contradiction, promises everything and delivers nothing. the bare truth is that adams filled his supporters and the grassroots with buckets of lies and sold every principle sf stood for down the river as long as the price was right! does this remind you of anyone??? bertie!, i hear people scream. of course, cos a sell-out and betrayal of this magnitude could only have been perpetrated by a pair of weasels like them. an even toss for which is the bigger low-life! and whoever suggested that bertie isn't gettin paid for his efforts in maynooth must be on drugs!! that little ****e wouldn't give u the time of day for free. if u want a nice take on bertie's professorship, goto "bocktherobber.com" and read his piece on the whole sorry saga, if nothing else you'll get a good laugh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement