Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth getting my car checked out before i do NCT?

• 26-11-2009 5:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi, quick question.
    Is it worth getting a garage to take a look at my car before sending it for NCT?
    Car generally doesn't give that much trouble.
    Apparently passed its previous NCT no problem under the previous owner.
    Is it better to just do the test and (if anything's needed) get it done for the re-test (30 euro?)?

Also, any tips on what i can do myself to prepare it for NCT.
    Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First time i had an NCT over here i got a pre NCT done at advance, they found a couple of things wrong, i paid for them to be fixed, and the car still failed on something.
    IMO now a pre nct is a total waste of time, just put it through and see what it fails on, if anything, then get the repairs done, as the retest can only be tested on what ya failed on before.

Something about my last NCT, i took it to Advance for a pre NCT, they said that the rear shocks had gone, apart from that it was fine, so i paid 250 to get them fixed.

Went for the test and it failed on worn bushes on wishbone and a rear driver brake pipe. Took it back to Advance and ther attitude was 'It was a free pre NCT so you can't complain'. If i'd have known that those other things ere wrong with it i wouldn't have bothered paying out the 250, i'd have got rid and got a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

As above. Don't spend money on a pretest, treat the NCT as cheapish checkout, then repair the stuff it fails on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Confab wrote: »
    As above. Don't spend money on a pretest, treat the NCT as cheapish checkout, then repair the stuff it fails on.

Agree totally. My garage who service my 10yo beemer said I needed serious suspension work. Took it to NCT, failed on 2 issues with lights. Fixed them, paid the €28 and got my cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Concur with the above,bring it to the NCT and fix what it fails on (if anything)

best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Thanks.
    Will do.
    Sorry for not doing a search btw- just after realising there was a thread about this recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement