Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Class Match Thread Arsenal -v- Chelsea Sunday 4PM

• 26-11-2009 6:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭

b_1006.pngArsenal -v- Chelsea b_4.png

Emirates, Sunday @ 4pm
    PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE
    Pos Team
    P Pts

1 Chelsea
    13 33
    2 ManchesterUnited
    13 28
    3 Arsenal
    12 25
    4 Tottenham Hotspur----13 25

Chelsea Last 6: W L W W W W
    Arsenal Last 6: W W D W W L

Heres a preview...
    This time last year, Chelsea were looking forward to a Premier League clash with Arsenal after a storming start to the season under their high profile new manager.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's men were top of the table on goal difference from Liverpool, with Manchester United trailing eight points behind with a game in hand.

Arsenal proved a turning point with Robin van Persie (now injured) scoring twice in the 2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge on Nov. 30. Brazilian Scolari was shown the door in February and the championship went to United.

Sunday's big match at the Emirates Stadium (1600 GMT) sees Carlo Ancelotti's Chelsea back at the top and looking even more irresistible.

United are five points adrift, and Arsenal are a further three behind with a match in hand after ending a 14-match unbeaten run with a 1-0 defeat at Sunderland last weekend.

Injury-troubled Liverpool, who play a Merseyside derby at Everton on Sunday (1330), are seventh and fighting to stay among English soccer's big four after going out of the Champions League in midweek.

Chelsea, already safely through to the last 16 of the Champions League, have now embarked on a series of away games that could prove the key to their season while testing the credentials of their rivals.

After Arsenal, they must travel to Manchester City.

Arsenal have Van Persie, J Wilshere, N Bendtner and J Djourou all injured I think.

Chelsea have just Bosingwa out and Ballack, Drogba, Deco and Lampard could all make the squad.

They could well wear these 0,,12306~3704977,00.png0,,12306~6923894,00.png

Now that I have run out of things to put in this I will return to my boredom and predict 2-0 to Chelsea.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

2-1 to Arsenal.

We won't lose at home.

Touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

CHD wrote: »
    Now that I have run out of things to put in this I will return to my boredom and predict 2-0 to Chelsea.

I'd love to share your optimism but I don't, I fancy Arsenal to get something from this :(

A demoralising (for Chelsea) and a huge boost of a 4-1 win for the gunners*

*I never get these right so I may as well get it totally wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

eddiehead wrote: »
    I'd love to share your optimism but I don't, I fancy Arsenal to get something from this :(
    Essien will run the game from DM and deliver the win. Arsenal are great at exploiting weak teams and giving them a beating. Chelsea have no weakness anywhere, they will find it really tough to break us down. Anelka to have a stormer coming deep and being everywhere and setting up Drogba to score twice :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Chelsea have no weakness anywhere, they will find it really tough to break us down.
    Of course Chelsea have a weakness! For a start they've been pretty ropey away from the Bridge lately. Two defeats in their last three away games to Villa and Wigan tell me that Chelsea are not to be feared. 2-1 to Arsenal I reckon.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Of course Chelsea have a weakness! For a start they've been pretty ropey away from the Bridge lately. Two defeats in their last three away games to Villa and Wigan tell me that Chelsea are not to be feared. 2-1 to Arsenal I reckon.
    Chelsea have no weakness. We were simply hustling in those games. Pretending we are beatable. We will crush puny Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Chelsea have no weakness. We were simply hustling in those games. Pretending we are beatable. We will crush puny Arsenal.
    It's a fair point CHD. I admit, I hadn't considered the whole hustle angle. Fair enough so. Chelsea to win 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

2-1 Chelsea, we just have to much to beat Arsenal, without V.Persie they will struggle against us also im sure A. Diaby is out to and rememebr as good as Cesc is hes no match for Essien, just ask Gerrard, Essien has a big pocket and likes to keep players in it.

Dont get me wrong, it wont be a roll over, I think it will be a great game, but just a great game Chelsea will win.

gavredking wrote: »
    2-1 Chelsea, we just have to much to beat Arsenal, without V.Persie they will struggle against us also im sure A. Diaby is out to and rememebr as good as Cesc is hes no match for Essien, just ask Gerrard, Essien has a big pocket and likes to keep players in it.

Dont get me wrong, it wont be a roll over, I think it will be a great game, but just a great game Chelsea will win.
    Essien will run the game from DM and deliver the win. Arsenal are great at exploiting weak teams and giving them a beating. Chelsea have no weakness anywhere, they will find it really tough to break us down. Anelka to have a stormer coming deep and being everywhere and setting up Drogba to score twice :).

Don't go getting ahead of yourselves lad's, I have a feeling this place could stink of humble pie at around 6 on Sunday :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see anything but a Chelsea win unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Don't go getting ahead of yourselves lad's, I have a feeling this place could stink of humble pie at around 6 on Sunday :o

I think theres more an emphasis on Arsenal to win though in this game, we have already beaten our other "big 4" rivals, granted they were at home but 6 points from 6, cant do better then that.

As long as we get at least a draw at the Emirates I will be happy, If Arsenal win there right back in there, and with the game in hand they have, they could push on with a win, I agree there could be humble pie served up Sunday but on the balance of things I expect us to take it with Drogba getting a run last night he should be raring to go for Sunday, will be a big couple of away games coming up and would hope we can start the series off with a good result.

Yeah, should keep it for when we play Man U and Liverpool

Yeah, should keep it for when we play Man U and Liverpool

Thats more like it, anyway, we get a much better rise outta those 2 :pac:

If Bubs keeps the cocky we are already champions thing going then I am too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I think Chelsea will come to the Emirates not to lose and that could play into our hands. I just wish Drogba was injured. Hopefully in Vermaleen we've someone that will stand up to him.

Walcott needs to play. I don't think Chelsea are as defensively strong as they were and I think in Arshavin and Walcott we can exploit this down the wings.

I'm going for 3-2 to the gunners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

1 - 0 to Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

3-1 Chelsea I fear

I can see Anelka making mince meat out of Traore as he's not the most defensively strong. And having Silvestre there would be even worse.

I'd feel more confident if Diaby wasn't injured as at least he's a physical presence in the middle.

Denilson is only back from injury so I don't think this is the game to throw him into.

I'd like to see Cesc-Song-Rosicky in the middle.

Song breaks it up and hopefully the other two can play keep ball for long periods of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Drogba's pretty much nailed on to score against us and I'm not sure we'll score more than 1 against them. A draw wouldn't be terrible but that mainly benefits Utd (early I know but still).

I fear it'll be 2-1 Chelsea (seems to happen a lot in these games) but I hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

10-1 Arsenal.

RasTa wrote: »
    10-1 Arsenal.
    That the odds your giving on a Arsenal win?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Chelsea have conceded 8 goals in the Premier League this term - 7 of those goals came away from home. 3 of them from a corner - cue a William Gallas headed goal for 1st goalscorer :)

Arsenal have conceded 15 goals in the Premier League :eek:, but only 4 of them have come at The Emirates.

Arsenal have outscored Chelsea this season in the League by 3 goals, netting 36 in total - 20 of those goals came at home. Interestingly 25 of those 36 goals have come from open play, with 19 coming in the 1st half and 17 in the second.

Of Chelsea's 33 goals scored this term in the league, 13 of them have come away from home.

Arsenal's current win streak at home in the League is 5 games.

Fabregas has scored 6 goals in 11 matches.

The two-centre backs have 7 goals between them.

But Arsenal's biggest threat Robin Van Persie is a costly miss, weighing in this season with 7 goals from 11 matches in the league.

Drogba seems to be Chelsea's only danger netting 9 goals in 12 league matches. If Arsenal can keep him quiet, it could be a runaway victory for the home side.

My prediction giving the stats:

Arsenal 4 Chelsea 2 100/1

In_tuition wrote: »
    it could be a runaway victory for the home side.

I'll have one of whatever you had:eek:

Under no curcumstances will it be a runaway victory for either side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Why under no circumstances?? They are both capable of tearing any opposition, including each other, apart on their day.

Arsenal could easily get their passing game going with the likes of Fab, Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri and Eduardo and take advantage of a Chelsea back four that has been chopping and changing quite alot lately.

Then on the other side of it, Arsenal seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet, Drogba has always caused us serious problems, 3rd choice LB playing, Joe Cole coming back to form, and Anelka always seems to do well against former clubs.

So in summary if things fall into place for either team they are more than capable of recording a runaway victory.

All IMO of course :D

Why under no circumstances?? They are both capable of tearing any opposition, including each other, apart on their day.

Arsenal could easily get their passing game going with the likes of Fab, Arshavin, Rosicky, Nasri and Eduardo and take advantage of a Chelsea back four that has been chopping and changing quite alot lately.

Then on the other side of it, Arsenal seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet, Drogba has always caused us serious problems, 3rd choice LB playing, Joe Cole coming back to form, and Anelka always seems to do well against former clubs.

So in summary if things fall into place for either team they are more than capable of recording a runaway victory.

All IMO of course :D
    Arsenal aren't capable cause we have Essien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I said it 'could' giving some of the stats

anway..

excuse my innocence.

He's going to single handedly curb that quintet :D:D He'll be doing well to break-even with Fab tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Has all the ingredients to be game of the season: two teams who really are flying at the minute, both having put qualification into European Cup Knockout stages to bed, and both with everything to play for.

Arsenal are probably the team I fear most of all teams in the League. But I can still see Chelsea just shading it. Arsenal will open the scoring, I reckon, but Chelsea will just do enough to snatch it away. 2-1 is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I can see chelsea's over defensive bullying to make short work of arsenal, as much as i love seeing arsenal win, i think chelseas physicallity will be too much for them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Van Persie is a huge loss to Arsenal but I still think they will be well up for this one and home advantage will tip the scales in their favour. Chelsea have not been outstanding away from home.

A narrow win for The Gunners!!

I hope..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's gonna be like the FA Cup semi of last year.

We have enough chances to be about 10-0 up after the first half hour and then end up losing.

He's going to single handedly curb that quintet :D:D He'll be doing well to break-even with Fab tbh
    Seriously? Fab is shaking in his boots thinking about facing Essien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he's a f*cking beast, but come on.

cesc is probably up there with the absolute best in the world in midfield right now, never mind arshavin, rosicky, walcott and eduardo on his day.

that's not to say i think Arsenal will tear you apart, i don't think they will. you won't tear them apart either. but you're both certainly capable.

1-1 for me.

if anyone wins i think it'll be Chelsea though.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he's a f*cking beast, but come on.

cesc is probably up there with the absolute best in the world in midfield right now, never mind arshavin, rosicky, walcott and eduardo on his day.

that's not to say i think Arsenal will tear you apart, i don't think they will. you won't tear them apart either. but you're both certainly capable.

1-1 for me.

if anyone wins i think it'll be Chelsea though.
    Essien will have all of them in his pocket imo

i can't wait to see it so.

they should use that tagline on Sky Sports.

Hard to argue with such flawless fact based and supported theory as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think it might be a draw. Them not having Van Persie is a big boost for us, as he really did well against us last year. I'm hoping we can snatch it but I think it will be 1-1.

Gallas scoring first(Who else:mad::mad:) and Drogba equalizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I predict a close game, 1-1 or 2-2.

Hard to argue with such flawless fact based and supported theory as that
    I know, i have a way with words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

RasTa wrote: »
    10-1 Arsenal.

Agreed. No disrespect to Chelsea. Just unfortunate timing that the tie comes the week we have to put the Spuds back in their place.Poor Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm going to go for 4-0 Chelsea. This Chelsea team have proven themselves time after time to be the best team in modern football. It's another step towards a stroll in the park for the quadruple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Unearthly wrote: »
    I'm going to go for 4-0 Chelsea. This Chelsea team have proven themselves time after time to be the best team in modern football. It's another step towards a stroll in the park for the quadruple.

You're mad in the head!. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Unearthly wrote: »

there's so much wrong with this post i dont know where to start.

Chelsea have had a magnificent start while Arsenal have been ominous but prone still to the same failings (loads of possession no goals / conceding a goal per match).

the loss of Rvp is significant but i reckon we'll make up for him with Eduardo due a massive match. Even walcott there could do a job.

Vermaelen v Drogba should be interesting. I dont think chelsea can live with an arsenal team passing at their finest but at any other level can out muscle them.

2-1 to the gunners but purely because of loyalty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Did Chelsea not do us 3-0 last year at home?...1 more goal isn't a stretch....

....still sticking to 10-1 Arsenal though....I've demoted Cech from my FF team based on that......Vermaelan to score 8 of them.....then ride Defoes missus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

great to see a match tread build up.
    my two cents:
    arsenal to ping the ball around wonderfully, showing some fine examples of the beautiful game, until they ping the ball anywhere near essien, he gets the ball, chelsea go on the attack, direct football down to drogs who then plays hell with the arsenal defence, and either scores himself or sets up anelka.
    kakuta to come on in the closing minutes and scores the wonder goal of the season.
    chelsea 2-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

i love the way chelsea fans have hyped up essien to the man who will pocket the entire arsenal midfield.

he is the best in the world in that position, but yeah, i think it's chelsea fans just having a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

he is the best in the world in that position, but yeah, i think it's chelsea fans just having a bit of fun.

Well Cesc will collect the ball from Almunia walk through the entire Chelski team score a goal, then will clear the flooding form the west of Ireland as well as ending world poverty all before settling down to watch the second half of Barca v Real

Arsenal 1 Chelski 0

I just can't see Chelsea being beaten here.

A draw or Chelsea win for me, probably the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Kirnsy wrote: »
    i love the way chelsea fans have hyped up essien to the man who will pocket the entire arsenal midfield.

I agree. Essien is an absolute beast, but the way Chelsea play means that he absolutely will not run the midfield show. It's all well and good against the minnows in the league when Essien doesn't have to worry about his destroying duties, but there is NO way Carlo will let him run riot in midfield against an arsenal team with Cesc at it's heart.

What position would that be exactly? Essien is a pure CMF, capable of making powerful runs into the oppositions box, quite like Keane back in his United days. Essien is categorically shackled over at Chelsea, he is set up so that his defensive duties are put first, if you watch him play for his country, or his old days at Lyon, he is not a DMF.

It's a shame really, because Essien is a better player than both Lampard and Ballack, but he is deployed so they get the best out of those two, and that inherently means that you don't get the best out of poor Mikael.

And lol @ the people exclaiming Essien is the best midfielder in the world right now, he isn't even the best midfielder in London at the moment. Cesc Fabregas is arguably playing the best football of any player in the world right now, so Mikael can be happy contending for 2nd place at the London midfielder awards ceremony on Sunday.

I reckon it'll end in a draw, 2-2. I'd love Arsenal to batter them, but I think if any team is likely to get a win it's more Chelsea than Arsenal malheuresement!

lol at thinking Essien isn't the best midfielder, he is the best player ever to play football obv.

• Advertisement
Advertisement