Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Class Match Thread Arsenal -v- Chelsea Sunday 4PM

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Men against boys is exactly right. How many times did Denilson loose the ball. His distribution is terrible too. I honestly can't see what Wenger sees in him.

This Arsenal team is far to lightweight in midfield and until that is sorted we will win nothing. I don't want to sound like a broken down record but Almunia is a coward! No bravery whatsoever from him for the 1st goal - he should be out diving at Drogba's feet. The 2nd he should have called Vermaleen and come out and got the ball and as for the free kick....I've said it in previous threads, this chap will not win us games.

Time to swallow your pride Arsene and address the failings this team has. We're not that far away but the team does need tinkering with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dazzday wrote: »
    Time for a radical overhaul Arsene.

no.

time to replace VP in January.

time to get bendtner fit.

time to get a presence in midfield.

the rest is fine.

'radical overhaul' is an hilarious overstatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    no.

time to replace VP in January.

time to get bendtner fit.

time to get a presence in midfield.

the rest is fine.

'radical overhaul' is an hilarious overstatment.

time for another CB

Headshot wrote: »
    time for another CB

as back up?

or would you get rid of Gallas/Vermaelen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    as back up?

or would you get rid of Gallas/Vermaelen?

Gallas seems a bit dodgy for me, on the other hand ver has been the buy of summer so far

so I would get rid of gallas

• Advertisement

Gallas seems a bit dodgy for me, on the other hand ver has been the buy of summer so far

yeah it's a tough one.

vermaelen can still be a bit naive, but gallas is having too many ordinary games.

all in all neither are exceptional, and neither are particularly worthy of dropping for me.

but something is so so weak with the spine of that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Not pointing the finger at either of them (Gallas or Vermaelen) but to be honest I've been hearing nothing except Vermaelen being the buy of the season and not just from Arsenal fans.

However, if I'm not mistaken we've shipped even more goals than at this time last year. Great if he can score but his primary job is to defend and the stats dont really reflect him being a good CB!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Not pointing the finger at either of them (Gallas or Vermaelen) but to be honest I've been hearing nothing except Vermaelen being the buy of the season and not just from Arsenal fans.

However, if I'm not mistaken we've shipped even more goals than at this time last year. Great if he can score but his primary job is to defend and the stats dont really reflect him being a good CB!

There are five people in our defense and to be honest a lot of the goals scored against us are a result of either bad goalkeeping or lack of concentration at vital times but I definitely would not be pointing fingers at Vermaleen. I think he could be solely accountable for two goals so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

was thinking the same myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Vermaelen has been the 'buy of the season' because he scored a few eye catching goals.

Over the course of the season so far Gallas has been, by a mile, the better defender of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Frisbee wrote: »
    Vermaelen has been the 'buy of the season' because he scored a few eye catching goals.

Over the course of the season so far Gallas has been, by a mile, the better defender of the two.

As he was last year aswell and it didnt stop Hughes buying the weaker of the two :p as he did with Everton :D

Vermaelan and Gallas is a new partnership with a less than certain Keeper behind them and an extremely offensive minded midfield infont off course they have conceeded goals , and off course they will improve, saying Arsenal must sign a central def immediately is just a snap knee-jerk reaction imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

chelsea just took their chances and arsenal were xtremely unlucky with the OG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We do noeed to sign one though, as has been pointed out before Silvestre will hopefully be off in the summer and Senderos will be gone in January by all accounts leaving Djourou, Gallas and Vermaelen. Gallas is 33 next year so I do think January would be a good time for AW to do his thing and source a promising young CB to mould into a player (cos lets face it, he's not going to buy experience).

Far more pressing is for us to sign a goalkeeper better able to command his area and stop shots like Drogba's free kick yesterday. I do think we need a presence up front too, but I'm coming around to the idea Bendtner could do this while RVP is out. Saves spending money on my particular love crush of the moment Edin Dzeko :pac:

Chelsea will walk it this year I'm afraid though. Having said that, whilst they created the better chances, Arsenal weren't all that bad and we could be talking about a different game had Sagna blocked Cole's two crosses. As it is, it's neither here nor there.

Advertisement