Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow showers Sunday Night/Monday 29th-30th Decmber 09

Options
  • 26-11-2009 6:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Increasing likelyhood of snow showers for the time indicated. Coastal areas likely to see sleety stuff but inland snow is likely. Normally a thread would not be started for this but what the heck. First snow of the year:) Most at risk is Leinster and Ulster. And high ground of course. But snow should fall to all levels.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Good stuff - back to DP watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I was just gonna post about this, looks like first snowfall this winter here is likely on Sunday/Monday, quite excited :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Can I start wetting myself now with the excitement. ????

You guys were brill last year - can you explain again how I can view the weather with the dew point to know its going to snow. I remember DP needs to be @ zero. I follow the Brayweather.com so I can see the DPs. So more education please guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

ECM ECM ECM ECM ECM ECM ECM ECM ECM ECM ECM WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my biggest concern now is the lack of precip for same time period,showers for sure but how much?

And since we're getting festive i couldn't but help doing a little doodle:D

snowtime.JPG

MET EIREANN

On Sunday, as winds become light or moderate, north to northeast, the focus for showers will be on Ulster and Leinster coasts, though many other areas will stay dry with sunny spells. This distribution of showers will persist early on Monday too, although it will tend to become generally dry as the day goes on. Temperatures will remain in low single figures over the weekend and on Monday; nights will be particularly cold, with air and ground frost giving rise to icy patches inland, and perhaps some freezing fog also.

Not a mention of even the word wintry,my word there playing it safe.

but yes there right about the showers,few and far between i feel,here's hoping though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Supercell wrote: »
    I was just gonna post about this, looks like first snowfall this winter here is likely on Sunday/Monday, quite excited :D

Snow/Sleet on top of Carrantouhill this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

redsunset wrote: »
    MET EIREANN

On Sunday, as winds become light or moderate, north to northeast, the focus for showers will be on Ulster and Leinster coasts, though many other areas will stay dry with sunny spells. This distribution of showers will persist early on Monday too, although it will tend to become generally dry as the day goes on. Temperatures will remain in low single figures over the weekend and on Monday; nights will be particularly cold, with air and ground frost giving rise to icy patches inland, and perhaps some freezing fog also.

Not a mention of even the word wintry,my word there playing it safe.

but yes there right about the showers,few and far between i feel,here's hoping though.

Written by Dr Aidan or Gerry Murphy no doubt. They hate that word...snow.

I suppose if the winds are a straight northerly then dry dry dry is all thats likely with the possible exception of north facing coasts.
    NE and its quite likely there will be snow showers here at least.
    More often than not the winds are northerly in this kind of setup..close model watching over the next few days.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow on the mountains - yes but at lower levels I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Still it could indeed happen but I would tend to be more in between the met eireann and boards viewpoint.

A slight chance maybe in Ulster and Leinster. If the west gets showers these will be of Hail or Sleet at best. N wev had hail already in the West last week and today so nothin exciting there.

Think there will be quite a bit of cold weather in December so there is a chance of a snowy day for sure.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WOO!

IM OFF ALL NEXT WEEK!

BRING ON THE SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! :cool::D:cool::D

I DONT CARE IF I HAV TO GO UP THE MOUNTAINS! ha! :rolleyes:

I PREDICT.... Sunday nite....bout 2ish.... ye ill say we mite see something at tat time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Good chance of snow showers up north on Monday morning. Looks like sleet/rain further south.

5wcyzp.png

yeah i say it'll be all about location and altitude.

wicklow and dublin mountains dead certs for snow.

redsunset wrote: »
    yeah i say it'll be all about location and altitude.

wicklow and dublin mountains dead certs for snow.

Only if the wind has an easterly element to it when the cold air is overhead, if its northerly then very dry and clear is what will happen in the mountain areas in Wicklow and Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Met Eireann mentioned sleet last night, my opinion is this if you can get sleet then snow is a real possibility - depending on your altitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Cold air setting in during the wee small hours of Saturday:

Latest UKMO projection of 0300hrs 28th (Sat)

uk.jpg

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Hill snow over Leinster as the shallow trough moves through?
    Either way, it's looking chilly 14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

no chance at all for snow let alone sleet at my location...even with upper temps below -7 at 1400 metres we struggle to get snow (i live 100 metres from the sea in Dalkey). However the charts look good and they teach us that upgrades can happen;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

good job , if it comes it comes , not getting my hopes up , I hope we get a snow week at christmas like we had in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've mentioned over in the forecast section that higher parts of Kerry and Cork might see snow overnight as a frontal wave seems to be developing and moving towards the southwestern counties, I expect it will be 4-5 C nearer to sea level with hail or rain but snow may become visible on the summits in the morning light, if it clears up enough to reveal them.

As to this weekend and Monday potential, I agree it looks promising, I am playing that as an elevation rain-snow situation because of the warmth of the SSTs around the British Isles and marginal thickness parameters, but I wouldn't be surprised if it snowed fairly heavily on some of the east-facing slopes around (counties) Dublin and Wicklow from this. Just estimating a 200m above sea level rain-snow dividing line with snow still quite possible below that but more likely to melt on contact there. Factor in the urban heat island and I figure this could be a suburbs and higher elevations event around Dublin, and hit or miss elsewhere due to greater distance from the moisture source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

If there's any snow at altitude and I'm up up high I'll be sure to take a quick snap and post it.

I've mentioned over in the forecast section that higher parts of Kerry and Cork might see snow overnight as a frontal wave seems to be developing and moving towards the southwestern counties, I expect it will be 4-5 C nearer to sea level with hail or rain but snow may become visible on the summits in the morning light, if it clears up enough to reveal them.

As to this weekend and Monday potential, I agree it looks promising, I am playing that as an elevation rain-snow situation because of the warmth of the SSTs around the British Isles and marginal thickness parameters, but I wouldn't be surprised if it snowed fairly heavily on some of the east-facing slopes around (counties) Dublin and Wicklow from this. Just estimating a 200m above sea level rain-snow dividing line with snow still quite possible below that but more likely to melt on contact there. Factor in the urban heat island and I figure this could be a suburbs and higher elevations event around Dublin, and hit or miss elsewhere due to greater distance from the moisture source.

Living at circa 204 metres in Wicklow on a east facing slope'ish, i'd take that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

lol - Think ill be taking a quick spin up to Ballinastoe.... Ill be sure to post pics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

OMG YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Love snow! :D

091126_1200_96.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'll just list the negatives since there are obviously positives that people are hoping will come to fruition.

(a) the colder arctic air is coming in on a long sea track with SST values still generally 10-12 C.

(b) thickness values never get very much below the marginal 528 dm.

(c) models have a nasty habit of backing off marginal snow events nearer the time.

(d) I predicted a fair amount of snow in the Met Eireann competition (uh oh), at least a fair number of snow days. But then I said 7.7 C for November :D

(e) this is Ireland etc etc ...

So if we can dodge all those bullets, and more besides, I can pretty much guarantee snow somewhere nearby, if not outside your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We get hill snow here, better than floods.

The 18Z GFS is liking snow in the north and east sunday night / monday.

I have to say from a weather watcher's point of view, the coming 48hrs are about as interesting as they come. Not necessarily in terms of what weather may or may not occur, but the actually set up. I just find it fascinating to see how the latest models are picking up on a shallow trough to the north-west and how they are showing it becoming increasingly complex as it pushes over and around Ireland over the first part of the weekend, that is, how it divides into little shallow lows around the area before it pushes away to the SE dragging in those cool North-easterlies in the latter part of the weekend. I reckon with the cool, calm, yet unstable airmass over the weekend it should look, as well as feel, very seasonal with some frost, fog, with beautiful white towering showers towards the coast with maybe the odd one inland too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

It's not often you get the GFS predicting inland temperatures of -5 C. These kind of temperatures happen of course locally, but not often on the model runs!

ukmintemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That -5c is right over Laois too - the coldest in Ireland and Britan also.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann mentioned showers could turn "wintry over hills" on Saturday night but made no mention of showers for Sunday night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement