Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a male homosexual be an organ donor after death?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 8:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey everyone sorry if this seems like a silly question.
    my friends n i were considering becoming organ donors (you know getting the cards n all) but a m8 of mine said that she didn think i could donate since i was a homosexual male.
    I know there are rules with blood donations but does this also apply to organ donations?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes afaik all homosexuals are not allowed become organ doners even after death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I heard this too OP. Its one of the last remaining discriminations in society that is still (imo wrongly obviously) permitted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Not this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone can donate organs. It's not like they ask you to fill out a questionnaire on your sexual preferences before harvesting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Can you donate blood? No.

Can you donate organs? Yes.

Does this make any logical sense? No.

Are they going to do anything about it? No.

I'm an organ donor myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ask a dieing person if they care what the sexuality of their organ donor was. I doubt any of them on their death bed would care. Not sure why it would be an issue.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ask a dieing person if they care what the sexuality of their organ donor was. I doubt any of them on their death bed would care. Not sure why it would be an issue.

The "issue", at least from a blood perspective, is the increased risk of a male homosexual having HIV or other bloodborne diseases. Despite the fact they test all donated blood anyway. Moral/sexual issues don't come into it, just health. But it's a flawed perspective, as (a) it's not just gay males who have these diseases, and (b) as I mentioned before, they test donated blood anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The "issue", at least from a blood perspective, is the increased risk of a male homosexual having HIV or other bloodborne diseases. Despite the fact they test all donated blood anyway. Moral/sexual issues don't come into it, just health. But it's a flawed perspective, as (a) it's not just gay males who have these diseases, and (b) as I mentioned before, they test donated blood anyway.

If people are tested, and they pass.. I don't see what the issue is.

Me neither, but here's their case: http://www.ilga-europe.org/europe/guide/country_by_country/ireland/ban_on_gay_blood_donors_did_work_by_reducing_disease_but_now_is_time_for_change

There are several campaigns to get them to change their position, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

How would they know your sexual peferences anyway ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The ban is on people who parttake in specific activities or live in specific regions. There is no ban on homosexuals donating blood or organs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

The ban is on people who parttake in specific activities or live in specific regions. There is no ban on homosexuals donating blood or organs.

I suppose in theory there isnt a ban on homosexuals donating. As long as you havent acted on it in any way. But if you are a male who has EVER had sex with another male you aren't allowed donate blood.

N_Raid wrote: »
    I suppose in theory there isnt a ban on homosexuals donating. As long as you havent acted on it in any way. But if you are a male who has EVER had sex with another male you aren't allowed donate blood.

Or a woman who's recently had sex with a bisexual male.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Blood donation was covered pretty thoroughly just recently... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055696397

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

Thanx for all the replies.
    i know it seemed a stupid question but twas the only place i could ask.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

After death, living relative are quizzed on certain aspects of the deceased life, if they may wish to donate the organs. I.e have they recently had, blood tranfusions, needle drugs, anal sex or tatoos. Answering yes to these can instantly mean that your organs are not acceptable. A relative of mine had had a tatoo a few months previously and therefore could not be used.

Advertisement