Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental treatment costs here vs the North

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Anon47

Rover, Root Canal £240 (inc. x-rays) up North, you will be paying over twice the price here for your treatment. If you need crown work after you will again pay twice the price here. I was similar to you in that I had not visited a dentist for years and got initial treatment in Dublin including two failed fillings, one of which resulted in an extraction and another which required a root canal and crown ( according to the dentist) at a cost of €1400. It was only then that I looked at alternatives such as the North. In your case if you have to forego income to travel North then it may not be worth your time and you will just have to pay local prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

When you get an internet/pricelist based cost for root treatment it is time based rather than procedure/quality based. Put simply if the list price is £240 for a root canal treatment on a molar, it is based on 60-90 mins treatment (i know this from experience), as that time draws to an end the root canal treatment will be finished and the filling put in, if the the root treatment straight forward, thats fine but if its difficult to navigate the canals with instruments, well this time is not enough. Beyond 90mins and the dentist is making a loss at that price.
    Incidently, a rubberdam (ruuber isolation sheet) should always be placed around a tooth during root treatment to allow sterilizing solution to be put into canals and prevent sharpe instruments falling in2 patients mouth, a large number of patients who have "less expensive" treatment have no recollection of this being placed. Trust me if you have ruuber dam placed on a tooth, you remember it. Reason for not putting it on: it takes more time and the materials are expensive.
    Anon, if you are having a lava crown it is an anterior tooth and £240 is quite high for this, Rovers is a molar,(4 canals, 4 times longer than front tooth, 4 times more difficult).

Anon47 wrote: »
    Rover, Root Canal £240 (inc. x-rays) up North, you will be paying over twice the price here for your treatment. If you need crown work after you will again pay twice the price here. I was similar to you in that I had not visited a dentist for years and got initial treatment in Dublin including two failed fillings, one of which resulted in an extraction and another which required a root canal and crown ( according to the dentist) at a cost of €1400. It was only then that I looked at alternatives such as the North. In your case if you have to forego income to travel North then it may not be worth your time and you will just have to pay local prices.

I live in Cork, if I got the root canal for £100 in NI I would be worse off then getting it done locally. Local dentist has had a looksee and says it's €600, he'll do it in the evenings, when I am finished work. He said he'll be doing it over two visits too, which is fine by me. I know for a fact it would not be worth my time to travel to NI :)

To be honest if it was free up there I wouldn't be much better off going up there.

You'll get two pub dinners for £10 up there, most things are cheaper up there, not just dental work.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭omega666

davo10 wrote: »
    Anon, regardless of whether you count the days as leave or not, they are two of your holidays or if you were self employed would be two days of lost earnings, either way the actual costs are far greater than simply paying £400 for a crown. Whether the root canal is necessary will become relavant in the fullness of time, if it was an elective treatment prior to crowning, there is a good possibility that it may need to be done in future through the back of your new crown which will compromise it.
    If the cash outlay is as high as €600 I stand by my estimate that the actual costs taking into consideration 2 days off work would be in the order of approximately €850.00, and even higher if you were self employed.

you still need to take the same amount of time off work if you went to an Irish dentist, the only bit extra is the drive there and back, which from dublin to Newry is an hour and and 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday for €900 in Smiles O Connell st. In an out in about an hour. Dentist was quick and skillful and made light work of a stubborn bottom wisdom tooth.

Very happy with the price, speed and service and the fact that i was home in my own bed 40 mins after treatment. I think for the sake of a hundred or two i am a fan of suffering in my own place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

omega666 wrote: »
    you still need to take the same amount of time off work if you went to an Irish dentist, the only bit extra is the drive there and back, which from dublin to Newry is an hour and and 10 mins

Actually you don't as you could fit a local appointment in before/after work, or lunchtime and still not lose any time at work. Also depends where you start. Its 1.10 from everywhere in the country.

smithwicks wrote: »
    4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday for €900 in Smiles O Connell st. In an out in about an hour. Dentist was quick and skillful and made light work of a stubborn bottom wisdom tooth.

Very happy with the price, speed and service and the fact that i was home in my own bed 40 mins after treatment. I think for the sake of a hundred or two i am a fan of suffering in my own place

its all depends what your getting done, if its a couple crowns, root canals etcc that going to cost over a couple of thousand here then its definetly worth the trip
    if its only a few fillings and small things i dont think the savings are worth it.

BostonB wrote: »
    Actually you don't as you could fit a local appointment in before/after work, or lunchtime and still not lose any time at work. Also depends where you start. Its 1.10 from everywhere in the country.

well you could do the same thing in NI, i.e go on a saturday, go for an evening appointment etc...
    I was saying about going during work time because that what the other Poster was talking about.

also the 1hr 10 is just an example from dublin as that probally where most
    people would be going from. If your going from Cork etc obviously it take a lot longer and might not be worth the effort.

Point being if its not too much of an inconvience then it certainly worth
    the trip if your going to save a lot.

for example, I need to get a root canal,crown and veneer done and ive been quote over 2200 in dublin. The same treatment in newry works out at 1100
    euro. Thats the difference of the price of a weeks holiday somewhere in the sun!

omega666 wrote: »
    for example, I need to get a root canal,crown and veneer done and ive been quote over 2200 in dublin. The same treatment in newry works out at 1100
    euro. Thats the difference of the price of a weeks holiday somewhere in the sun!

I would assume my dentist in D.4 was quite expensive and it would only cost about 1400 there. So where are you going that its costs 2200?

I would assume my dentist in D.4 was quite expensive and it would only cost about 1400 there. So where are you going that its costs 2200?

1500 for the crown and root canal procedure, another 600 or 700 for the veneer. This is in sandyford, dublin 18.

Can you pm me the name of your dentist, if i could get the whole
    lot done for 1400 i would certainly consider doing it in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Just pay the money and be loyal to your dentist.He/she has to make a living too,so dont be a miser

eh ok if you say so!!! ya bleedin muppet ya. Oh yah just loike pay him yah and put it on yur daddys gold card ya ha!!! you *****er

It occurs to me that we not talking about the same thing. You got a veneer on one tooth and a crown on another? I was thinking why would you get a veneer and a crown on the same tooth. I assume you wouldn't. I was only talking about one tooth.

It occurs to me that we not talking about the same thing. You got a veneer on one tooth and a crown on another? I was thinking why would you get a veneer and a crown on the same tooth. I assume you wouldn't. I was only talking about one tooth.

yeah two different teeth, root canal and a crown on one tooth and a veneer on the other. you had me all excited there thinking i could get
    it done in dublin for 1400!

Never had a veener dunno the pricing for that.

Root canal treatment, 2 visits, crown and veneer prep 1 visit, fit 1 visit, 4 trips at a minimum. What type of crown/veneer are you getting?, what type of post and core retention?.
    If you do not know the answer to this you are probably getting a parapost with composite core and a porcelain jacket crown and a PJV.

davo10 wrote: »
    When you get an internet/pricelist based cost for root treatment it is time based rather than procedure/quality based. Put simply if the list price is £240 for a root canal treatment on a molar, it is based on 60-90 mins treatment (i know this from experience), as that time draws to an end the root canal treatment will be finished and the filling put in, if the the root treatment straight forward, thats fine but if its difficult to navigate the canals with instruments, well this time is not enough. Beyond 90mins and the dentist is making a loss at that price.
    Incidently, a rubberdam (ruuber isolation sheet) should always be placed around a tooth during root treatment to allow sterilizing solution to be put into canals and prevent sharpe instruments falling in2 patients mouth, a large number of patients who have "less expensive" treatment have no recollection of this being placed. Trust me if you have ruuber dam placed on a tooth, you remember it. Reason for not putting it on: it takes more time and the materials are expensive.
    Anon, if you are having a lava crown it is an anterior tooth and £240 is quite high for this, Rovers is a molar,(4 canals, 4 times longer than front tooth, 4 times more difficult).

Davo, my Lava crown is on UL5 and is £400 all in. The £240 i quoted is for a molar root canal from the dentists web site. I didnt need a root canal so the rubberdam didnt arise. Bear in mind that I only looked North following two botched fillings at my local dentist.

Understood and I'm glad things are working out.

Lava crown fitted, feels good, final bill as expected + £30 for scale & polish
    Next visit in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

As a dentist I would like to say that it does not matter if your crown is procera or lava or PFM or felspathic or empress or E-max or gold. Although the strength differs ( for different areas of the mouth), the quality depends on the technician that makes it. A lava or procera core costs about 45 euro from the milling center the same for everyone. The value is added by the technician building the tooth into this core. A 400 pound crown will be a poor job, I am afraid there is no two ways about it. You are paying bottom dollar for NHS dental work from NHS labs form NHS dentists done at NHS speeds. I use high quality labs that charge me more than your entire bill for the crown alone.

If price is your only concern then you got what you want, but this is too little IMHO for a quality job. I used to use a large Northern production Lab back in 2002 but decided that my patients deserved better than that crap, and I had to spend so long drilling on the crown to make it fit that it negated the saving I made.

Some know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Also don't underestimate the value of your own time. 2 days holidays in a year out of say 30 in total are worth a lot more than a few hundred euro.

Flame suit on......

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I'm not going to tell everyone where I work (suffice to say it is near Dublin), but I do root canal and crown for 1100 euro, which is competitive with the north, and I would put my root canal skills up against any dentist in the North except for the one endodontist that they have up there. Bold statement, I know.

I am merely trying to illustrate the point that there are dentists in the Republic that are competitive with those in the north, and a bonus is its easier to build up a long term relationship with the local dentist than the distant dentist.

• Advertisement

Fitzgeme,

I take your points thanks, perhaps I took too narrow a view in terms of the cost aspect. I understand from previous contributors that dentists in the Republic are experiencing a significant downturn, especially in elective treatments arising from the economic situation. For myself I feel that I have received a professional service and treatment (certainly better than the one from my local dentist) at a cost which is attractive and the overhead/burden of travel to the North was not onerous as I live in north Dublin anyway. Your post and others go some significant way to explaining the difference in the cost of treatments here vs the North and quality is certainly a relevant issue. As regards price vs value only time will tell if the crown fitted is up to the task and I will owe an apology if it doesn't. The dentist who treated me exclusively treats patients from the Republic, such is the demand for the services there, so there is significant demand apparently and price is, i believe, a key factor. Thats your competition so how are you going to respond?
    Im not sure what you mean by 'flame-suit on' but I am not looking for a row, just a reasoned debate on the differences in costs that are attracting many people to go North for treatment.
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Hi all,
    Wonder i can get a bit of advice. Had a dentist visit yesterday in which i taught i had lost a small filling. Turned out i hadnt but on closer inspection(x ray) its turned out that one of my upper back teeth(just behind the big molar) needs a crown!
    Its got a big filling in it but cracks are appearing and he was able to show me them making their way towards the nerve!! Dentist informed me that i could have it refilled but a crown would be what he recommends.
    No problem there but.....he quoted me 530 euro for the crown which after reading all the above posts seems mighty cheap and therefore maybe the crown wouldnt be of high quality?? Have been going to this dentist for years now and happy enough but would be loath to pay that money for a cheaper crown that would fail....
    Any insight or am i just reading too much into earlier posts?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Just pay the money and be loyal to your dentist.He/she has to make a living too,so dont be a miser
    Should I pay €20 for a pineapple grown under grow lights in dublin? that farmer has to make a living too you know.
    mcaul wrote: »
    If you were a dentist in the UK, your public liabilty insurance would be mnostly paid by the state as would the salary of your dental nurse as would a portion of your other costs.

In Ireland there is no state aid for dentists.
    Just like in sunnier climates they get their light "free" so can afford to offer cheaper pineapples. If it is not as economical/profitable to run a business here people should expect to pay a lot more.
    You are paying bottom dollar for NHS dental work from NHS labs form NHS dentists done at NHS speeds. I use high quality labs that charge me more than your entire bill for the crown alone.
    But surely there are dentists down here who are doing cheap/fast/bad jobs too -and this is what some people might have experienced, so even though the £400 crown is bad in your mind it could be better than an overpriced €1,500 worse quality crown here.

I remember joking to a mate of mine we should import some cheapo watch making equipment from China and set up shop in Switzerland making genuine swiss watches.

I do not doubt your ability but it is hard to know or recognise a good dentist, I remember saying a few of my fillings fell out and a mate saying his dentist was "really good", but when questioned he could not really say why, I have no real idea if my dentist is good or bad TBH.
    Some know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Also don't underestimate the value of your own time.
    Yes, people travel up north to save €40 on groceries, but if somebody said "pop up north and I will give you €50 to pick up a letter but you are not allowed to buy anything" they would say no way. The problem is my difficulty in determining the value of the treatment I am getting/offered. I have no knowledge of dentistry so have no idea if the €1,500 crown here really is better than a £400 one up north -yours sounds like it is but there have got to be guys taking advantage of this apparent "premium price", like my chinese/swiss watch idea.
    Big_G wrote: »
    I do root canal and crown for 1100 euro, which is competitive with the north, and I would put my root canal skills up against any dentist in the North except for the one endodontist that they have up there. Bold statement, I know.
    Have you ever thought of moving up north to practice? If your prices are in line with the north and their overheads are lower then you could clean up. Or do you have to register as NHS or something? Also can these "fast NHS" operators move down here and set up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Got quoted €750 each for a gold crown for two lower back molars plus €80 for a filling and had cleaning thrown in with that lot.
    My final bill came to €1580 for two crowns, a filling and a good scrub, not too bad methinks.
    Went for gold crowns because those molars have to bear the biggest loads when chewing and for all the advances over the last x many years your good old-fashioned gold crown is still the strongest you can get.
    Same goes for amalgam fillings, not pretty and the mercury might put some people off, but none of your pure white, high-tech fillings are as strong.
    Of course the cosmetically better looking white fillings and crowns are excellent to have for the front teeth, silver and gold front teeth are so last century, dahling!

Sounds like good value, check that this is the all-in price and not just the cost of the tooth. Getting a crown sized and fitted will require a number of visits so if you have to pay for them in addition to the €500 it may not be such good value. There are a number of different crown types - an earlier poster listed them. I got a Lava crown for £400 pounds up North including sizing and fitting but a metal frame crown was only £250.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Sounds like good value, check that this is the all-in price and not just the cost of the tooth. Getting a crown sized and fitted will require a number of visits so if you have to pay for them in addition to the €500 it may not be such good value. There are a number of different crown types - an earlier poster listed them. I got a Lava crown for £400 pounds up North including sizing and fitting but a metal frame crown was only £250.

That was the full bill as presented to me, so no extra costs as far as I can see.
    She spent an hour drilling and taking mouldings of my two teeth and I'm back next week to have them fitted, meanwhile I gotta chew carefully because two of my molars are plastic, not fun!
    But since they where a mess of cracks and fillings beforehand I gladly go through with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Thanks for the advice, will make sure its an all in price before i go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Hi folks,

I'm currently well overdue a trip to the dentist, and while my teeth feel fine, I'm expecting to be stung for a fair bit or work...

I'm just wondering if prices have moved at all since this thread was active a year ago? I'm going to be based in Northern Ireland for a couple of months so travel etc would not be an issue, but considering the currency exchange etc. if I might be as well to get the job done at home?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mudbingo

I notice that the quote in Dublin for a crown,root canal and a veneer is 2,200 euro.
    I see blogging dentists trying to defend these prices !!!.
    If you log on to Dental prices in Budapest ,-you will see that a good quality Crown costs 269 euro ,root treatment one canal -80 euro,-a very good Zirconium veneer costs -370 euro--
    This adds up to 719 euro --which is a third !!!! of the quoted 2,200 Dublin Price.
    Dentists in Budapest are recognised as the best in the world
    Some of the Budapest practices also have clinics based in Dublin to consult and arrange for treatment abroad.
    I got a lot of dantal work done in Budapest -through a Dublin based clinic and at a cost of more than a third of Dublin and /or NOI -and I am satisfied with the results.!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We got our teeth done in Slovakia this summer.

I had a scale and polish, an exam and x rays. My wife had the same plus 5 fillings.

Total cost was €140.
    Bear in mind that wages are a lot lower than here. But all in all it was better value.

Saying that. Any major work I would get done up North. its closer if there are any follow ups or problems.

Advertisement