Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end for Tony Hawk??

Options
  • 26-11-2009 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

It could be heading in that direction.

It's currently sitting on a metacritic average of 53.
    The execution is such a miserable failure that it manages to splash even more mud on Tony Hawk's legacy.
    Busted controls and stripped-down gameplay make Tony Hawk Ride an overpriced fiasco.
    From the cumbersome load times to the malfunctioning board it's just clunky ... At a steep $120, it's a bit of a wipeout.

The last Tony Hawk game I enjoyed was Project 8, and even that was bested in every department I can think of by Skate! I can't say I was ever interested in TH:Ride, but with this news it has made me question whether there's a place for TH games anymore and if Activision thinks it can tack on an unusual controller to a POS game and assume that will sell it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

He's signed up with Activision till 2015, so I doubt they will let the name recognition go to waste. They just need to go back to the drawing board or make the board work better in the next itteration.

Also, metacritic scores don't mean anything http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/25/analyst-metacritic-scores-dont-drive-success/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

its odd to see such a jump in metacritic scores - 80s and 90s and then it zooms down to 50s and 60s

i saw giantbomb gave it 1/5 stars - seemingly its a broken game

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Skate was the end of Tony Hawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I havent played a tony hawk game since tony hawk pro skater 1 on ps1 :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i havent enjoyed a tony hawks games since pro skater 3. that game was the bees knees and no other skating game has come close to the sheer greatness that was tony hawks pro skater 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dogs like it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Activision are carving a fairly bad rep for themselves for driving franchises into the ground with shoddy sequels of late - they are becoming the EA of the current generation (whereas EA have cleaned up their act a bit) wolfenstein, guitar hero and some would argue Call of Duty have all had fairly half baked sequels churned out by Activision owned devs with unrealistic timeframes and budges - im not surprised Tony Hawk is now going on that list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

MiCr0 wrote: »
    its odd to see such a jump in metacritic scores - 80s and 90s and then it zooms down to 50s and 60s

i saw giantbomb gave it 1/5 stars - seemingly its a broken game

I saw the unboxing video of Tony Hawk Ride on their site. They seemed optimistic and hopeful. But then I listened to their podcast a week or so ago and they were saying (actually whispering) that Activision are sending that game to die. No support for reviewers, no advance copies for review. It's as if the game is not being released.
    For that price, I'm delighted it fell flat on it's face, but I hate to see it happen to a good franchise like TH

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

i havent enjoyed a tony hawks games since pro skater 3. that game was the bees knees and no other skating game has come close to the sheer greatness that was tony hawks pro skater 3

I think Pro Skater 4 was fun, but even at that point it was becoming overcomplicated. The Underground games were a joke, the attempts to shove in a storyline were very unwelcome, and they haven't recovered since (although admittedly I haven't played one since UG2 I think).

The series was at its heart a wonderful high score game, and the tight and effective level design of 2 + 3, plus the careful addition of game changers (manual and revert). After that, there were too many gameplay tricks. The only way I feel the series could redeem itself would be to remake 2 and 3, even an XBLA port would do. Anything else (a skateboard controller? Did anyone seriously think it was going to work. Plus the very minimal publicity and gameplay videos were a warning sign from the start) is missing what was so appealing about the first few games. Skate is the realistic skateboarding sim, there is still a place for the relative OTT nature of Tony Hawks too IMO if only the developers stopped trying to be hip and realised the central appeal of the core gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think Tony Hawks has just outlived it's potential. It really ran on the Nu Metal stuff that was coming out around the same time and I kind of feel the same way that I would about those games as I would Limp Bizket. I'd listen to their old stuff occasionally and smile but I wouldn't touch their new album in a hearbeat

• Advertisement
Advertisement