Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Directional Tyres

• 26-11-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know about these? I had to get a replacement recently because I hit a sidewall off a kerb and it was a lot of hassle - apparently these tyres are made for one side of the car? The guy in the tyre centre told me that the car would pull in one direction if the right tyres are not fitted. :confused:

Anyway, I need to rotate my two right tyres because the wear on the front is twice that of the rear. Is this ok to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Directional basically means they must face forward as such.

Think about it this way.

If there is a white line on the ground and you are facing a wall and are standing on the right.

Then your "direction" is forward.

If you stand to the left of the line(passenger side of car) and face the wall you are still facing the same way.

NOW, if you turn to have your back to the wall then the direction is reversed.

You cannot reverse the direction of a directional tyre.

So it CAN go on the left or the right of the car so long as the arrows on the tyre face in the correct direction.

So, you can take your back tyres and move them to front and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

sounds like you might be talking about assymetric tyres i.e. handed tyres? As above, directionals must point in correct direction but are not handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks for the info guys.

Mr.D - I think they are 'handed'. It's the first time I had to buy tyres for this car and they are 'super low profile'. One trye cost €250 and that was after shopping around :eek:

One downside of buying a car with big wheels! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Right, well im going to get shot for saying this probably but anyway.....

Directional: make sure they are pointing the correct direction (duh!)

Assymetric: makes ****e all difference, having a LHS tyre on the RHS (but still pointing the correct direction) will have a negligible impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Does anyone know about these? I had to get a replacement recently because I hit a sidewall off a kerb and it was a lot of hassle - apparently these tyres are made for one side of the car? The guy in the tyre centre told me that the car would pull in one direction if the right tyres are not fitted. :confused:

Anyway, I need to rotate my two right tyres because the wear on the front is twice that of the rear. Is this ok to do?

A couple of things, as I have directionals, too.

1. You can change the tyres from the left hand side of the car to the right hand side of the car, but you have to take the tyres off the rims to do so. This is because, to put a LH wheel on the rhs, you have to turn the wheel 180degrees...........so your 'directional' tyre is now facing the 'wrong' direction. Hence changing the tyre around, on the rim. Not a DIY job, obviously.

2. You can 'rotate' wheels, on any given side, front to back, but you may find that the front and rear tyres/wheels are different width's. Now, this depends on the car, but on mine, they're 205's on the front, and 225's on the rear.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Thanks for the info guys.

Mr.D - I think they are 'handed'. It's the first time I had to buy tyres for this car and they are 'super low profile'. One trye cost €250 and that was after shopping around :eek:

One downside of buying a car with big wheels! ;)

I don't think you shopped around enough,i run 225/40/18's and high street prices for my tyre of choice (f1 asymmetrics) are around 250-250e a tyre,i always get them from camskill.co.uk though for around 120e a tyre.

Like the lads have said neither directional or asymmetric tyres are designed to be only used on one side,to simplify it...

With directional tyres always heed the arrow

With Asymmetric tyres always look for the "this side facing out" text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm just after thinking, and yes I do know about all sorts of tyres etc, but doesn't the whole directional thing get thrown out the window when you go into reverse :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Do you often travel at 60mph in reverse on wet roads? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

tossy wrote: »
    Do you often travel at 60mph in reverse on wet roads? :D
    Would you like to see?

Actually, now that I think about it, it's fucking hard to get a 1.3 civic up to 60 in forward let alone reverse :L

Advertisement