Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM - UCD vs RCSI locations?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered already! In my mildly obsessive trawling of this board, I've missed it!

Can anyone tell me where the lectures/practicals etc for the GEM programmes for RCSI and UCD are based?

I'm trying to figure out if it's Belfield/City Centre for UCD and whether RCSI are based in around Stephen's Green

Thanks a million! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

While your attention to detail in your sarcastic response borders on the admirable Figs... :) The admissions page in RCSI doesn't in fact detail where lectures are held during the course.

I'm looking for where the actual lectures are held for the GEM programmes in both UCD and RCSI. I ask because I know that, at least formerly, for undergrad in UCD the first year is Belfield and then other locations in later years.

This isn't covered on the page you've linked me.

Thanks for your time though.

oh for the love of....

the second link on that page of googling contains all the details you need for RCSI

Not being funny but how hard have you looked if you haven't even trawled the sites of the 2 institutions you're talking about!?

P.S. best of luck with it, doing the same route myself

Pretty confident from UCD's site that it's on campus and then in their associated teaching hospitals

RCSI is in 2 mystery locations that I'll let you discover as a bit of a treasure hunt and then I believe in Beaumont.

Apologies for the sarcasm but the info for Surgeons is readily available

Sorry Figs :(

I thought you were taking the proverbial to be honest and reacted badly.

Thanks for that, I actually thought I'd been all over that site but obviously missed that.

Thanks again (sincerely!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

First two years are held in Sandyford in Resevoir house, right opposite the Luas. It's a bit distant, but the facilities are great. Mind you have to hope onto the Luas two or three time a week to make it into St Stephens Green, but again, the Luas drops you at the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Mena wrote: »
    First two years are held in Sandyford in Resevoir house, right opposite the Luas. It's a bit distant, but the facilities are great. Mind you have to hope onto the Luas two or three time a week to make it into St Stephens Green, but again, the Luas drops you at the front door.

It's first year only in Sandyford/Stephen's Green. Second year is in Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

MicraBoy wrote: »
    It's first year only in Sandyford/Stephen's Green. Second year is in Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown.

Ah of course, I forgot about Connolly. Great (if small) facility there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

RCSI -

1st year: Sandyford, Stephen's Green for anatomy practicals 1-2 times per week

2nd year: Connolly Hospital

3rd year: peripheral rotations - roughly 50% in Dublin (Temple St, Crumlin, Rotunda, Coombe, Holles St), 50% in Kilkenny / Drogheda / Mullingar / Waterford etc

4th year: mostly in Dublin (Beaumont, Connolly), with some short peripheral attachments

Like others have said, the facilities in Sandyford and Connolly are excellent. Being out in Blanchardstown can be a bit of a painful commute every day unless you're willing to move out there for the year, but it's a great hospital to have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Echani wrote: »
    RCSI -

1st year: Sandyford, Stephen's Green for anatomy practicals 1-2 times per week

2nd year: Connolly Hospital

3rd year: peripheral rotations - roughly 50% in Dublin (Temple St, Crumlin, Rotunda, Coombe, Holles St), 50% in Kilkenny / Drogheda / Mullingar / Waterford etc

4th year: mostly in Dublin (Beaumont, Connolly), with some short peripheral attachments

Like others have said, the facilities in Sandyford and Connolly are excellent. Being out in Blanchardstown can be a bit of a painful commute every day unless you're willing to move out there for the year, but it's a great hospital to have access to.

Not if you live on de nortside :cool:

Just realised most of those locations really suit living in the north city, D7 for example is ideal, except for Sandyford, but even then LUAS from the Green isn't much of jaunt with the Bus Gate in place.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the replies!

I'm living in Swords so Blanchardstown in 2nd year is ideal and I'm working in Tallaght currently so it won't be too much of a stretch tackling Sandyford (hopefully).

Now just need to bring my GAMSAT score up a bit in the Irish round and cross my fingers :)

G'luck to everyone in the same situation!

Advertisement