Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Pets Allowed

Options
  • 26-11-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi there,

I'm in the 11th month of a 12 month contract a the moment. The lease said no pets allowed, so we didn't take in any pets.
    However, a few nights ago a small kitten managed to get her head stuck in the axle of my car late at night. After a while we managed to get her out (the crying would have kept the entire neighbourhood awake). In the end we took her in for the night, not knowing what to do with her. A few days later she's still there and we're now both very fond of her.
    She's no trouble at all, uses her tray and scratches a scratching post we got.

We've been thinking about moving house anyway and we're now looking for places that allow pets. What do people think would happen if the letting agency found out about her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Hi there,

I'm in the 11th month of a 12 month contract a the moment. The lease said no pets allowed, so we didn't take in any pets.
    However, a few nights ago a small kitten managed to get her head stuck in the axle of my car late at night. After a while we managed to get her out (the crying would have kept the entire neighbourhood awake). In the end we took her in for the night, not knowing what to do with her. A few days later she's still there and we're now both very fond of her.
    She's no trouble at all, uses her tray and scratches a scratching post we got.

We've been thinking about moving house anyway and we're now looking for places that allow pets. What do people think would happen if the letting agency found out about her?

if you are thinking of moving anyway you have nothing to lose byasking them if you can keep a kitten. They might be pleased to keep you and the kitten rather than lose you, as good tenants are hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

Couldn't they evict me and couldn't I lose my deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Couldn't they evict me and couldn't I lose my deposit?

In a word no.
    They still have to give you notice if they evict you and as you're in the 11th month and moving out anyway that doesn't matter.
    Deposits cannot be retained because you breached the conditions of the lease. The landlord can only keep the deposit for damages or rent arrears.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Contact the agency. Tell them you have decided you really want a cat and you wish to own one so strongly that you are happy to move to a property which will allow pets. Point out that you have always been a trouble free tenant and paid your rent on time (if you have), but that in the current rental market lots of landlords are allowing pets in order to ensure their property is let. And while you like this house, you don't like enough to stop you living your life the way you wish to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

Sound advice lads! Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement