Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If im back on the bike, yeah, and obviously i ll blame my injury when im trailing behind:) the euro rules mean i have to come up with 2 other excuses between now and then too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

kennyb3 wrote: »
    For torture, im sure you ve tried going right at the church when going up from the village. i made it 3/4 way up and had to pull over as was sweating so badly into my eyes far too tired to do the rest

I have done this once and once only. I tought it better to get a bit more practice on the hills in before tackling it again.
    christeb wrote: »
    I tried this b4 but my cleats weren't great and came out as I was pushing. My gears are also a standard 9 sp so not sure I got the leg power to get up. I'll settle for whuppin' you guys to the top via the left of the church :p How's about next Monday night then? Turns out the Duath isn't this week, so would give me some good bike training before it.

Mon sounds good. Will keep it free. Say 8 ish - depending on kids getting to sleep before that.

Mon 28 June, 06:30
    Swim 2700m LC

100wu
    100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 (15sec rec)
    100cd

500 came in on 11:30, 2nd 400 was 8:30, 2nd 200 was 3:58 and 2nd 100 was 1:50. Couldn't remember the other times.

PM Run 9.7km, 21:30

9.7km Recovery run in 43:55, 4:32/km (7:17/ml), HR 155av, 165mx.

Tues 29 June, 20:30
    Bike 44.1km & LoF Practice

LoF = Leap of Faith.
    Practiced this 4 o 5 times during the cycle, when no one was around obviously. Worked out ok, but Find it slow getting the feet into the shoes. Also when I have the foot on the shoe the end of the right strap rubs of the chain, black oil all over my right hand. I think I have it sorted now by folding the strap over on itself, but that makes it slightly slower to get the foot in.

Stats: 30.8kph av, 47.4kph mx, HR 140av, 169mx. Low HR due to stopping a few times.

Wed 30 June 21:30
    Run 9.7km

Got out late as the young lad didn't settle down to sleep til then. HAd planned to go longer but need to get to bed for morning swim. Same run as Mon night but in reverse and a bit more pacey in 42mins, 4:20/km (6:58/ml), HR 158av, 167mx.

Totals for Month of June:
    Swim 28850m
    Bike 502.3km
    Run 140.9km
    1 Race: Blackrock Super Sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Macanri wrote: »
    PM Run 9.7km, 21:30

9.7km Recovery run in 43:55, 4:32/km (7:17/ml), HR 155av, 165mx.
    Recovery run :eek:

I'm down for the sprint on saturday too. 9.40 wave I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

nomadic wrote: »

So are ye both doing Athlone this weekend?? I am in the water at the ridiculous time of 7:50 (causing a bit of a problem for friends and family that want to come support). I will be around Sean's Bar area - need to know what ye look like so I can cheer ye on!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

So are ye both doing Athlone this weekend?? I am in the water at the ridiculous time of 7:50 (causing a bit of a problem for friends and family that want to come support). I will be around Sean's Bar area - need to know what ye look like so I can cheer ye on!! :)
    I should be able to see the AGer's finishing so I'll give you a shout if I see you.
    I'll be cycling this and will be wearing a white craft tri top and black shorts.

Yea, maybe a bit too fast... was supposed to be a recovery run after the intervals the previous day. I'm in the 09:10 wave (light blue hat). The 9:40 wave is for relay and late entry. Were you a late entry or are you doing a 1 man relay? :)

Sound where is Sean's BAr area and what time will you be around there? I will have to have transition set up by 7:00 so will cheer you on before I get kitted out myself.
    I should be able to see the AGer's finishing so I'll give you a shout if I see you.
    I'll be cycling this and will be wearing a white craft tri top and black shorts.

My race no is 2980. White and blue Kellys arc 1.9, black 2XU trisuit, Blue lid. See you both on the morning hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

SEan's Bar is at the bottom of the hill when you come around the castle and just before you start to head up another hill. So number 2980 I will be looking for you :) I am no. 138 Blue/white Giant Trinity.

And the very best of luck man too, give em hell!

Cheers man, I will head around to Seans Bar area after I get transition set up.

@ nomadic: I'll give you a buzz before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Mon sounds good. Will keep it free. Say 8 ish - depending on kids getting to sleep before that.

Good luck in at the weekend, you'll be wrecked on on Monday which suits me fine for the spin around Howth!

• Advertisement

Cheers dude!! I think! Don't worry - I recover quick and I'm racing tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats some time for a recovery run, you have great running legs, good luck tomorrow

:D Why thank you. You have nice legs yourself. :p

Thurs 01 July, 06:30
    2nd coach Session NAC

This was to be the morning that I would reach 100,000m of swimming for the year, a figure I never tought I would achieve at the start of the year. But looking towards the end of the year I think 200,000m for the year will be no problem. So 1300m would be the figue that would see me hitting the 100,000m.

Due to the fact that most of the 5 people in the session were racing in Athlone over the weekend it was decided that a taper session would be done.

WU 100fs, 50 kick side, 50 kick other side, 100fs (all with fins) 30 sec rec
    8 x 50m @ race pace effort (1:50/100 for me), 30 sec rec
    4 x 50m OW Swim Start Simulation (scull hands in front, kick legs to raise them in the water, then sprint at Go. Sprint for about 15 - 20m then finish the 50m steady.) 30 sec rec.
    CD 300m Choice.

And that was it - 1200m - What!!

So I did 100m on my own giving myself a silent cheer at the last few strokes.

Sat 03 July, 09:20
    TriAthlone Sprint

I got to bed early enough on Friday night and was up at 4:20 to be on the road for 04:45 having had the porridge , 2 slices of toast and coffee. I also made up a zym and water for the journey down.

Got in to Athlone at 06:05 and parked just west of the town in a quite enough residential area about 10min walk from transition. Got the bike in order and brought it and the transition gear to registration and then set up the transition. I met nomadic just after and we headed over towards the river to see the paratriatletes do their swim. Hats of to these guys and girls, I was amazed with their abality and obvious courage to harness that ability to get them here on the day. We watched the two elite waves do there swim next, aware that El D was among them. The leader of the first elite wave made it look very easy - really long smooth strokes and seemed to only be stroking about half the amount that all around him were stroking.

After a while it was time to head back to the car to get ready.

I brought my wetsuit over my shoulder and got into it about 10mins before the start at which point I also took a gel and water. On th walk down through the town towards the start I passed the elites doing there run and I spotted El D and shouted out his name, not sure if he heard me.

The Sprint:
    Swim I headed over to the start area with the goggles and pink swim hat in hand. I was surprised to meet my swim session coach at the start line. He's a great swimmer so I told him I would try and stay close to him. On the buzzer we went (he had started a second earlier - no hanging around). I stook to his feet for about 10 to 15m and he was gone. There was a bit of a bustle but no mad slaps to the head so I was happy with that. After about 50 or 100m I felt the gel in my stomach and it made for an uncomfortable swim - I brest stroked for a stroke or two to try and burp it up but it wasn't happening. So I got into a bit of a rhythm after that and got to the turn around bouy handy enough. There was no noticable flow in the river and down nd up seemed like the same effort. I went a bit wide of the pontoon on the return to the ramp from the swim so I should have sighted a bit more here.
    Time: 14:34, (1:56.5/100m), 180 O/A

T1 When I got out of the water the legs were fairly jellyish but I managed to run up through the long transition and found the bike without issue. Transition went well enough.
    Time: 3:05, 72 O/A

Bike I didn't try the leap of faith so put one foot on the peddle and threw the other leg over. I found it difficult to get the feet into the shoes but got there in the end, with a leaf in my left shoe which must have got stuck to the bottom of my foot, but I didn't notice it much during the bike. I kept El Ds advice on keeping a high cadence on the way out into the headwind. This helped to maintain a good spin on the bike. After the turn around it was a whole different course, I was flying back. I had a Nuun tablet in the water on the bike and about 3 or 4km from the end of the bike I took a H5 isogel and the remaining water. Over all I passed rakes both on the way out and moreso on the return, but also got passed by a handful.
    Time 34:23, 34.9kph avg, 85 O/A

T2 It all went downhill from here! I remembered to have the feet free from the shoes and dismounted at a good clip to the ohs and ahhs of the spectators:D, and ran up to transition and racked the bike, took of the helmet, shades and race belt. I put my left runner on without any issue but when I put on my right runner the insole crumpled up. Knowing that I couldn't run like that I took it off and tried again. this bending down was causing the calf to cramp. It crumpled again, so took it off again, tried it again, crumpled again and calf cramped again. F this, I took out the insole, sure it's only 5k, and away I went, I put my hand down to turn around my race belt and it wasn't there!! Feck sakes man, flipping concentrate on waht you should be doing, so I turned round and ran the 20 or 30m back to the bike to get the race belt, and away I went.
    Time 3:03, 615 O/A :rolleyes:

Run As soon as I started running I knew I was in bother. The gel I had taken on the bike was causing serious stomach aches for the run. I had it in the legs but my stomach couldn't take it. So I went around the 1st lap in pain which subsided a bit on the second lap where I kept up with a bloke ahead of me as a target. On the run into the finish I gave a good sprint and he fought back but I finished a good few metres ahead of him. Had a good chat with him at the end. He is also doing Carlingford so I may see him again up in Louth.
    Time: 22:59 pathetic minutes. 4:36/km (7:23/ml) (assuming 5km). 88 O/A.

I only pressed the button on the HRM at the start of the bike, HR was 171avg, 183max.

Total Time: 01:18:04, Cat 12th, O/A 75th.

I feel the swim went ok, but I think I could have performed better. I also felt that my chest area was fairly tight and I couldn't fill my lungs as much as I would in the pool. Whether that is due to the cooler water or whether it is due to the trisuit and the wetsuit being tight is something I'm not too sure about. I might try it in the pool to see. T1 grand. Happy with the bike (aimed for sub 35mins). Disappointed with T2, but absolutely annoyed about my run.
    I would love to do the whole thing again next week as I know I could do better - oh well, there's always next year.

I met up with a mate from school and college who lives in Athlone later in the day. His young lad who is 11yrs old is in a swimming club. They do 2 and half hours on a saturday. His warm up consists of 15 x 200m - 3000m as a WU:eek:. I asked what he swims 100m and 200m in. His PBs are 1:16 for 100 and 2:45 for 200m.:eek::eek:

Sun 04 July, 11:30
    Recovery Run 8.4km

My aim was to really use this as a recovery run and run it slow.
    8.4km in 47:15, 5:38/km, 9:03/ml. HR 137avg, 174max. Quite pleased about the low HR but I reckon the 174 is a blip as I kept a fairly close eye on the HRM and didn't notice it going over 150 at all.

Weekly Totals:
    Swim: 4750m (2 sess, 1 race)
    Bike: 64.1km (1 sess, 1 race)
    Run: 32.8km (3 sess, 1 race)
    Race: TriAthlone Sprint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

That's still a great result and great time overall Macanri. You're judging it from a high standard. T2 sounds like a complete disaster altogether - unlucky with that. The run seems slow alright compared to what you're capable of but sure that happens as well.
    what's the plan now? What race are you doing next?

Cheers Dusty, yea it's still an alright time but I had kind of built this up in my head as one of my A races for the year, so was fairly dissappointed that it turned a bit pear shaped.

I must update the Tri Wish List, but I plan to do Galway olympic on 17 July (signing up in next day or two), Clogherhead sprint on 7 aug, and Carlingford olympic in xx Aug. May try anothe standard distance in Sept, but we will are going on a few days holidays in Sept also, so I'll see how it pans out.

I see you're coming along nicely at the swimming now with the coached sessions and all. Good stuff, it's all about time in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done in Athlone. Shame about T2 and the run. It;s very difficult to get all 3 right on one day. Frustrating sport!
    I must update the Tri Wish List, but I plan to do Galway olympic on 17 July (signing up in next day or two), Clogherhead sprint on 7 aug, and Carlingford olympic in xx Aug. May try anothe standard distance in Sept, but we will are going on a few days holidays in Sept also, so I'll see how it pans out.

FYI - there are only 10 to 15 places left for Galway so I wouldn't wait too long before registering

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi Macrani,

Well done in Athlone, solid result off the back of a solid month of training in June.

Good man practicing the LoF. Remember to practice your dismount too. I practiced the dismount after a short spin last Saturday and did it at race pace running 100m with my bike in my feet. I remembered it on Sunday and had a flyer of a dismount.

As for the stomach cramps. Have you taken a gel before a swim before? Also did you drink just enough water to wash it down or did you gulp? Doing something brand new on the morning of a race is generally a no no Chief :)

Overall you are progressing really nicely and making lots of little mistakes that are vital for learning what to improve. Unfortunately rare is the race that going perfectly to plan :cool:

Well done on going green in the swim too.

• Advertisement

Hi Macrani,

Well done in Athlone, solid result off the back of a solid month of training in June.

Good man practicing the LoF. Remember to practice your dismount too. I practiced the dismount after a short spin last Saturday and did it at race pace running 100m with my bike in my feet. I remembered it on Sunday and had a flyer of a dismount.

As for the stomach cramps. Have you taken a gel before a swim before? Also did you drink just enough water to wash it down or did you gulp? Doing something brand new on the morning of a race is generally a no no Chief :)

Overall you are progressing really nicely and making lots of little mistakes that are vital for learning what to improve. Unfortunately rare is the race that going perfectly to plan :cool:

Well done on going green in the swim too.

Cheers MCOS,

Didn't actually do the full LoF in th race, but will practice it more. Fairly happy with my dismount now and can jump of the bike and continue on at a fair clip.

Re the gel before the swim, I know , I know, what the feck was I thinking! Its a real mistake doing something right before a race having not tried it in training - I should know better. I was thinking after the race sure all I ever take before the morning swim is a banana and some water - this is what I will do in future before a race.

Thanks for the advice:)

pgibbo wrote: »
    FYI - there are only 10 to 15 places left for Galway so I wouldn't wait too long before registering

Thanks for that pgibbo:

Your order is complete! Your order number is xxx.

Thank you for shopping at Runireland.com shop. While logged in, you may continue shopping or view your current order status and order history.

It's final now. The next step has just been made, now all I have to do is race it!!

Nice one Macanri, never raced Carna but the guys in our club say its tougher than the Hell of the West. You might as well go straight in at the deep end ;)

You have enough training in to do well in this anyways, are you staying down for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice on Macanri. See you there! :cool:

catweazle wrote: »
    Nice one Macanri, never raced Carna but the guys in our club say its tougher than the Hell of the West. You might as well go straight in at the deep end ;)

You have enough training in to do well in this anyways, are you staying down for the weekend?

I don't think so. I will see if Mrs M wants to bring the whole crew down for the weekend, good thinking.

I did map my ride on the bike and run sections. There is only one killer hill around the 15km mark and the run will be tough up hill and turnaround and come down, but hopefully the legs will hold up.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice on Macanri. See you there! :cool:

Good stuff, I'll PM you closer to the time and maybe we can meet up before it.

Mon 05 July, 06:30
    Swim 3050m LC

Having heard about my mates young lad swimming the 15 x 200m as a warm up I decided that this would be my session. I did it in sets of 5, so:

3 x (5 x 200, 30 sec rec), 1 min between each 1000.

Came in around 4:00 for the first 2 sets , then 4:06 for the last set of 5.

I dd 50m cd just to get rid of the 50 from the swim table!.

Mon, 19:30
    Bike 54.1km

Met up with christeb in Raheny and we headed for Howth head to do the hill from the church side (6% at one point). The man has power in them legs, he left me for dust. When we got to the bottom of the hill he suggested doing it again, so we tackled it again and again I was left looking at him cycle off into the distance. After that we parted company at Sutton cross and I went round by Portmarnock an Malahide to give a bit of distance to the session.

30.9kph avg, 58.3kph max. HR 146avg, 173 max. (Only remember to turn on the HRM half way through the second hill rep.

Tues 06 July, 20:00
    LSR (+Tempo) 18.1km

Mrs M is heading down the country the weekend with her ma so I will be minding the kids, therefore no sessions Sat and Sun. So decided to do the LSR and added a bit of tempo (over 3.3km):

1km WU & stretch
    4.5km in 19:40, 4:22/km (7:02/ml), HR 158ish avg
    3.3km in 13:20, 4:02/km (6:30/ml), HR 179ish avg
    9.3km in 43:10, 4:38/km (7:28/ml), HR 166ish avg

Total 17.1 in 01:16:10, HR 164avg, 181mx.

Wed 07 July,
    Rest
    Having signed up to my first olympic distance tri I needed to rest!!!

Thurs 08 July, 06:30
    3rd Coached Session NAC

WU 2 x 50FC, 50BkSt, 50Catch up
    4 x 200 (50 easy, 50 hard, 50 easy, 50 hard) 10sec rec between each 200
    4 x 100 (50 easy, 50 hard) 10 sec rest every 100
    4 x 50 (50 easy, 50 hard, 50 easy, 50 hard) 10sec rec every 50.
    3 x 100 kick with fins (everyone else had to do 200 kick no fins)
    CD 100 Doggy Paddle with pull bouy between legs (Arms were to stay under water at all times - aim was to get a good long stroke and a high elbo and use the forearm in the catch)

I was coming in around 50 sec on the 50 hard.

He said that some people ar not born with flexible ankles (me) so I was told to use the fins on the kicks. As I am savage slow at getting up the pool with just my feet!

Thurs, 19:00
    Bike 69.9km

Made it a long one in the rain. Went Raheny, Swords, Oldtown, Garristown, N2, back to Raheny.

32kph av, 52.7kph mx, HR 149avg, 167mx, again only turned on the HRM half way through it, doh! What do I be thinking of - I have no idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Spotted you in the village last night - not watching the game? I was rushing home for ET myself. Strained my groin slightly yesterday, so if I can't run tonight I'll drop you a txt for a cycle - you around?

Just chcecking the logs now. Was in the UK today with work - up at 04:30. Will head for a lighter cycle tomorrow evening if your interested, racing on Sat so not going to go too mad.

I watched the first half and then headed out for an hour on the bike. Had intended a bike/swim/bike brick, but the young lad didn't settle to sleep in time for that! Got back in the door for the end of the first half of extra time, so saw the goal. Was hoping for Holland to win as I drew them at work, so I get €40 instead of €100. Better that a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Fri 09 July, 20:00
    Swim 1700m

25m pool.
    100m WU,
    50 to 250, 250 to 50, in steps of 50m and 15sec rec
    100m CD

1700m in 40 min. Felt tougher than that.

Sat 10 July, 17:00
    Tempo Run

Mrs MAC cancelled the trip down the country so I got a bit done.

Total was 12.4km in 53:47, HR 165av, 179mx.
    Break Down:
    2.9km in 13:00, 4:29/km (7:13/ml) avg HR 155ish
    4.8km in 19:00, 3:58/km (6:22/ml) avg HR 176ish
    4.7km in 21:47, 4:38/km (7:27/ml) avg HR 160ish

Sun 11 July, 20:30
    Bike, 32km

The plan was a brick of bike/swim/bike but that went out the window.

Had heard the Louth Meath game on the radio whilst driving up to Drogheda on Sun. What a way to go out. I tought it was GAA football, not rugby. Bad form with the attack on the referee though, totally unacceptable.

So headed out during the world cup.

32km, 32.8kph av, 49.7kph mx. HR 153av, 176mx.
    Went Raheny Santry, West of Airport then back north of airport and santry and home. A bit of a headwind for sections but no hills of any note!

Weekly Totals:
    Swim 6850m (3 sess)
    Bike 156 (3 sess)
    Run 30.5km (2 sess)

• Advertisement

Mrs C cancelled the trip down the country so I got a bit done.

Thats my missus, stick to Mrs M :D

Advertisement