Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

catweazle wrote: »
    Thats my missus, stick to Mrs M :D

:o:o:o Mrs MAC - there, fixed it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi Mac, hope you get to do galway today. sorry i havent been in touch,been drying to manage the groin injury, which is now totally gone and also didnt want to be murdering myself on monday before races on a wednesday. let me know if you re around monday. i wont be killing myself so if your up for a gentle spin let me know

Unfortunately I was unable to do Carna Tri today. No discussions entered into, there's always a bit of give and take, and I reckoned it was my turn to give.

So the week gone by was:
    Mon 12 July
    Rest
    In the UK for the day so that suited fine.

Tues 13 July
    Bike 43.3km

It was feckin lashin down rain, but I had no real choice, but once I was out in it after a few minutes it wasn't hard to get used to it. I went around the airport and out towards Oldtown. There was no problem staying cool due to the wind and rain. I passed by Cadburys factory on my may out and back and they must have had the choclate in the pot 'cause there was a lovely strong choclaty smell as I passed by mmmm.

32.7kph av, 43.6kph mx, HR 145avg, 179mx.

Wed 14 July, 06:30
    Swim LC 2500m

WU 200
    10 x 100 off 2:15, (in around 1:52 - 55)
    2 x 500 (10:18 and I had to work hard to bring the next one in on 10:19)
    CD 2 x 150

20:30 Tempo Run 13.4km

1km WU and stretch
    2.9km in 13:00, 4:29/km (7:13/ml) HR 155ish
    4.8km in 18:55, 3:56/km (6:20/ml) HR 178ish
    4.7km in 22:54, 4:52/km (7:50/ml) HR 158ish

Thurs 15 July
    Swim 4th Coached Session
    2100m

WU 2 x (100FS, 50 side kick, 3 strokes, other side kick and alternate, 100 BkSt, 50 alt side kick)
    24 x 50 with fins (as 50 easy, 50 med, 50 hard, 50 v hard x 6) all off 70 sec
    CD 3 x (50 doggy FS, 50 FS) all with pull bouy

Fri 16 July, 20:00
    Bike/Swim/Bike Brick

About time I got a brick session in
    21.2km to the pool
    1900m swim (WU 100, 6 x 250, CD 300) in 40mins
    20km home. The west wind was fairly strong but was on the back for a bit too.
    31.2kph av, 48.8kph mx, No HRM it's on the blink as is the bike computer, probably need batteries.

Sat 17 July
    Rest

Should get out for something or other tomorrow evening.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi Mac, hope you get to do galway today. sorry i havent been in touch,been drying to manage the groin injury, which is now totally gone and also didnt want to be murdering myself on monday before races on a wednesday. let me know if you re around monday. i wont be killing myself so if your up for a gentle spin let me know

Yea would be up for a spin. Drop me a text on Mon afternoon. Christeb would probably be on for a spin too.

Great racing the last Wed by the way. Sounds like tough stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Macanri wrote: »
    Yea would be up for a spin. Drop me a text on Mon afternoon. Christeb would probably be on for a spin too.

I gave a lend of the tri bike to Domer for the weekend, doubt I'll have it back by then. You guys head out, you don't want a guy on a hybrid beating you to the top!

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    I gave a lend of the tri bike to Domer for the weekend, doubt I'll have it back by then. You guys head out, you don't want a guy on a hybrid beating you to the top!

Its funny because its true!:D

have to take a rain check. nursing massive hangover today so have to drop out to parents tomorrow now instead of today.

No worries lads, next time so.

Sun 18 July 17:00
    LS?R 20km

Felt good during this run and the pace was too quick to be termed a LSlowR.

Done in 1:32:12, 4:37/km, 7:25/ml, HR 161av, 170mx.

Weekly Totals:
    Swim 6500m (3 sess, incl 1 brick)
    Bike 84.5km (2 sess, incl 1 brick)
    Run 33.4km (2 sess)

Holy moley 11:14 last night?? Nice goin' MK!!!

• Advertisement

Mon 19 July 06:30
    Swim 2500 LC

WU 100
    10 x 200 off 4:30
    100 FS, 50 Br St, 50 bk st
    CD 2 x 100 FS

The 200s came in at between 4:10 to 4:15, I did one at 4:18 and the last 2 came in on 4:04 and 3:55.

Mon 20:30
    Bike 44.6km

Fairly pushed it round a flatish course around by the airport
    33.4kph av, 50.2kph mx, HR 157/174

Tues 20 July 20:00
    Raheny LM Series 2 Mile Race

After doing the long quick run on Sun and the bike on Mon night the legs felt tired. I had hoped to do the 2 miles in under 11:30. My PB at this distance was 11:57 back in Dec 09.

I was in the second row at the start and when the GO was shouted I headed off at a good pace (not too fast or slow). the 2 fast lads were gone from go, but I was running with a bloke I know who was always about a minute faster than me over the 2 miles. Anyway I was in 4th position and thinking this can't be right and the pace was a little more than comfortable but not overly so. After a while he stretched a gap between us and the group who had been just on my shoulder all the time were enclosing me. I was feeling the pace tough now and I came through the mile in 5:40 and the group were about 20m ahead now. I kept within 30m for the last mile and was passed by a lad who also passed the group. I increased the pace as much as I could when I turned the last corner and got to the line just ahead of the first lady home. Time 11:14, 3:30/km (5:37/ml). Delighted with my new PB. I had a look at the 2 mile table before the race and didn't think I would come in under robinph's time of 11:15. He has posted a more recent fast 5km and others distances, so he would knock me down a peg without too much bother I reckon.

Did a 2.7km WU and 2.7km CD with a few of the club members and had some nice coffee and too many biscuits while chatting to a lad who was wearing the same TriLaoise t-shirt as I was!

Total done was 8.6km. HR for the race was 187av, 196mx. Dissapointed it didn't reach 200:D

Wed 21 July 06:30
    Swim LC 2500m

WU 100
    500 in 9:55
    10x100 off 2:15 (in on 1:52 - 55)
    500 in 9:37
    CD 2x200

I was a mess after doing the 2nd 500, lactic levels through the roof. It sets a marker for me for my next time doing the 500s.

Wed 20:30
    Bike 32.1km

Another flattish spin round by Portmarnock and Malahide and Santry. I was spinning well in a lighter gear and pushed hard throughout.
    33.5kph av, 44.7kph mx, HR 145/172

Thurs 22 July 06:30
    Swim 5th Coached Session LC

WU 2 x (3 x 50FS in a group, 50 sidekick alt every 3strokes)
    8 x 100 (long stroke, slow to hard thru the 100) 15sec RT
    4 x 50 Fists,
    2 x 50 1 hand 1fist,
    2 x 50 other hand & other fist,
    2 x 50 scull & kick,
    4 x 50 doggy paddle w pullbouy,
    100 CD

The flippin kicks near killed me. I am 100% Atrocious at kicking.

I have just signed up for Lough Neagh Olympic Tri. This will now be my first standard distance, Sat 31 July. We are going to head up and spend the long weekend around the area.
    Also doing Clogherhead on Sat 07th Aug.
    Then Carlingford Oly distance on Sat 21st Aug.

I don't know why but I am mad apprehensive of swimming 1500m in open water! Probably Definitely haven't done enough OW swimming!

Fri 23 July
    Rest

10.2km easy cycle home from town Fri night - managed to keep upright:D

Sat 24 July 15:00
    Run 8miles

Met up with christeb, MrDrak, climbhigh and figs for a run around Howth head for the article to be printed in some running magazine. It was cloudy to start but the sun eventually broke through. There was a bit of stopping every now and again for a photo but it was welcomed as the head is steep in places. The photos that figs tokk are on the ART thread and the scenery really is great, but you don't get to view it for long while running on rough ground and watching where you put each foot. It was good to meet a few new heads from boards, nice guys one and all.

Sun 25 July 13:30
    Bike 57.2km

We headed up to Monasterboice to see my parents. I cycled there and Mrs M drove with the kids. After Drogheda there is a fair hill (Tullyesker) up to Monasterboice which I was dreading as it was at the very last few kms of the cycle, but when I hit it it wasn't as bad as I tought and I spun up it handily enough. Howth hill repeats are obviously paying off. I got a beep about 500m from the home place (Mrs M) and arrived toi the house as she was getting them out of the car. Perfect timing!

30.4kph av, 48kph mx, HR 143/193.

Had planned an OW swim the last two evenings. Might try get it in one of the evenings this week.

Weekly Totals:
    Swim 7300m (3 sess)
    Bike 133.9 (3 sess)
    Run 21.5km (2 sess, incl 1 race - Raheny 2 mile)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Good to see you're in for Lough Neagh :-) Am heading up myself. Im not staying locally though unfortunately so bed early Friday night!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Good to see you're in for Lough Neagh :-) Am heading up myself. Im not staying locally though unfortunately so bed early Friday night!

Hope to see you there so dude. I have your no. so I might give you a buzz on the morning.
    Yea it'll be an early start.
    I think a few more from Boards are doing it - must check and see if there's a thread in the events section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well Mac finally caught up on things with you! First of all well done in Athlone and making mistakes is what makes us better and stronger for next time. Despite T2 you still had a good overall time.

Second, what an excellent 2 miler you had in Raheny! I was thinking of doing the one tomorrow night but achilles and left groin/hamstring is very sore at the moment so might have to give it a miss.

All in all you have done some savage training. I'm doing Lough Neagh (provided these niggles clear up) too so I will see both of ye there!

Well Mac finally caught up on things with you! First of all well done in Athlone and making mistakes is what makes us better and stronger for next time. Despite T2 you still had a good overall time.

Second, what an excellent 2 miler you had in Raheny! I was thinking of doing the one tomorrow night but achilles and left groin/hamstring is very sore at the moment so might have to give it a miss.

All in all you have done some savage training. I'm doing Lough Neagh (provided these niggles clear up) too so I will see both of ye there!

Heh El D, cheers. Athlone was a dissapointment due to the poor run, but sure as you say, it's a learning experience.
    Yea well happy with the 2 miler and witht the training done to date. I will probably give tomorrows a miss.

Good to hear you will be doing L Neagh. I hope your niggles clear up quick for you. I'll send you a PM with my mobile. Catch you later. Mac.

An easy enough week training wise. I have kept the same swim sessions but eased back on the bike and run. Half due to taper, half due to family life! Suits grand this week.

Mon 26 July 06:30
    Swim LC 2600

WU 2x100
    20 x 50 (ea, md, hd, vhd) 10sec RT
    1000 in 21:00
    2x150,
    100 CD

Mon 21:00
    Tempo Run 13.4km

1km WU and stretch
    2.9km in 13:00, 4:29/km (7:13/ml) HR 155ish (70%)
    4.8km in 19:55, 4:09/km (6:41/ml) HR 180ish (86%)
    4.7km in 22:23, 4:46/km (7:40/ml) HR 160ish (75%)

Tues Rest

Wed 28 July 06:30
    Swim LC 2400m

WU 100,
    5 x 100 off 2:15 (1:52 - 55),
    300 Out - In,
    5 x 100 off 2:15 (1:52 -55),
    CD 2x100,
    4x25

'Out - In' Indicates where I had to move to a different lane as some of the lanes were booked for 7 o'clock. Then at 7:30 the other lanes were booked so they were sending people up to the diving pool which was laned off. Very strange swimming in such a depth of water. The diving pool was fairly warm. I got out in case Jaws surfaced from the deep!

When I got in the other lane to do the 700m Bjorn was swimming in it on his own. He lapped me twice during the 700m.

Thurs 29 July 06:30
    Swim 6th Coached Session LC 1700m

WU 50 FS, 50 bkst, 50?, 50 FS, 100 Doggy
    16 x 50 (12m sprint then recover) 15sec RT,
    2 x 50 side kick hands down by sides (fins),
    2 x 50 side kick 1 hand out (fins),
    2 x 50 doggy FS,
    2 x 50 doggy FS w Fists,
    1 Arm Swimming 2 x (50 LH, 50RH)

We did that many drills I think I left 1 or 2 out as I can't fully remember what we did. As my granny used to say - "Don't know - brain dumb, inspiration won't come. Can't write - no pen, God bless, Amen."

Thurs 21:00
    Bike 18km

A quick handyish spin out to practice the leap of faith at the start (which worked perfect) and to check that all is in order. I threw in a few short sharp shocks.

31kph avg, 45.5kph mx. No HRM.

So that is that until Sat morning please God.
    I was a bit apprehensive about the swim before this, but I am looking forward to my first standard distance now. I may as well put down my targets for the craic: hope to be on the bike within 35mins, 1:15 for the bike, 2min T2 and 42 for the run = 2:34. Would be very happy with that - we'll see how it goes on the day!

Best of luck for Saturday M, looking forward to the race report already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck on Saturday. No bother to you! Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good luck this weekend Macrani, hope it all goes to plan for you.

• Advertisement

Dude the very best of luck tomorrow. Don't worry about the swim, it seems very sheltered there so I'd say it will be calm. Fingers crossed I will see you there myself on the start line ;)

Good luck tomorrow M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

An
    So that is that until Sat morning please God ... I may as well put down my targets for the craic: hope to be on the bike within 35mins, 1:15 for the bike, 2min T2 and 42 for the run = 2:34. Would be very happy with that - we'll see how it goes on the day!

Quit sandbagging Mac will ya :p
    You're defo in sub 2:30 shape
    best of luck and don't be dilly-dallying with the report!

From Wikediea ( I had to look it up! )
    Sandbagging = Deceiving someone by pretending to be weak, or (in cards) to have a weak hand.
    Ah Dusty - ya have me well sussed!

Well I had a great day out today at a very well run event. I did Roe Valley Sprint on the 15 May which was in Limavady and was run by Triangle Tri Club, well they organise great races up north, it has to be said.

I got to bed at 22:30 or so and woke for 06:30, so a good nights sleep. Had my usual porridge with honey and grapes, 2 slices of toast and tea. Made up a 'Zym' and water for the way up in the car. Brought a cup of coffe with me too. Got a text from El D on the way saying he wasn't going and wishing me well. Cheers man. I had gathered that, having seen the others good advice in his training log.

I got in to Ballyronan around 9:30 or so, so was plenty early. On the way from the carpark to transition I saw Bjorn asleep in his car so I went to wake him up and say hello. That didn't affect his race thankfully - he came first today by 16 seconds. Headed over to register and got the number marked on my arm and opposite leg. Back to the car and got things together, during which time a bloke said hello - it was Brian (a school buddy from years back). He has being doing the tris for the last 3 years and did an IM last year and IM Germany 4 weeks ago in a time of 10:30. I only said a quick few words as he was in a hurry to get a mechanical problem with his bike sorted out - the valve extension on his Zipp wheels had snapped! He got it sorted and I had a good chat with him in transition and after the race too. So, headed down to transition having arranged to meet Bambatta there. Said hello and had another quick chat before setting up my transition. It was great to meet a fellow boardsie and put a face to the name. Back up to the car - where I met the sister of a good mate of mine. She has been doing these for a long while and is representing Irelad in some other tri, but not Budapest, can't remember now? She had a mishap on the bike - her tyre blew when rounding the corner at the village and she came a cropper - a fair bit of road rash by the sounds of it, having spoken to my mate. I hope shes ok.

I ate a banana, a fig roll and 1 nature valley bar before 11:00. Went well and no ill effect on the swim.

So the nitty gritty:
    Swim

I had felt apprehensive about the swim last week but was more confident as the week went on and this morning I was feeling ok about it, particularly after Bjorn pointed out how still the water on the lake was. So we all made our way into the water and the lads up the front went out into the marina too far and had to be called back to the start line. As this is a NS race I tought that it would be hot and heavy up the front so my plan was to stay out of the mosh pit, then out of the harbour head out wide and have a more controlled swim. HONK and we're off - Remembered to hit the start button on my watch at the honk for a change (I actually remembered to do everything in order today which was good). It was fairly congested in the marina until we got out into open water and I got a bit of a bump to the head but it wasn't too bad. I had the hat over the googles strap so they stayed on and didn't need any adjustment. So when in the OW I headed out to the edge and swam a nice pace keeping an eye on the green hats to my right, and sighting every now and again for the yellow bouys. I got to the first one and round it wide then the next one was a bit away and got to that with a bit of weaving. This was my target that it was only about 1000 to go then - which was better in my head. The water was slightly choppy out of the harbour but wasn't too bad in fairness. The 3rd bouy looked like it was miles away but I just kept controlled and stroked long and tried to remember to kick my legs! I ended up weaving a fair bit here and somehow crossed over to the inside line. Swam around the 3rd bouy and headed for the last one in on the shore line. I kept swimming until my hands were dragging off the sand. When I went to run through the water my calves were cramping so I stopped running and walked fast. (Bambatta later said that he dolphin dives through this bit which gains a few places and gets you out of the water quicker - one to remember for next time) I looked at my watch and it read 27:xx - lovely!

Swim time: 28:02 (1:52/100m) Thats the benifit of having a wetsuit, faster swim times! (Don't know the O/A places til the results are up - will update later) This is getting shockin long winded!!! My HR was 186 or so when heading out of the water! I got a pain in my head half way through the swim which stayed with me 'til the end. I still have a pain in my head now!! Only slight though.

T1 01:26
    I didn't think I went through T1 as quick as that as it seemed more leisurely and I struggled for an extra second or two with getting the wetsuit over my ankles. Anyway - on the bike in 29:28 - sandbag no 1, beating my prediction by some 5 minutes!

Bike

I got to the mount line and the Leap of Faith went very well. I struggled a bit as usual to get the feet into the shoes without curling the edges and leaving them uncomfortable for the bike. I had talced the shoes and runners for the first time and it went well enough. The weather btw was forecasting rain but we had none, thank God. There was a bit of a NW wind blowing which created a small head wind in sections.

The bike consisted of 4 laps of a 10km loop. (I had drove the loop in the morning so knew roughly what lay ahead) Overall the surface wasn't too bad but there were a few roughish stretches. It was flat for the first 1 or 2 km then dragged for a bit until a turn where the only real hill was, which was for about 500m in all, with the last 50 - 100m of it steeper and around a 110 deg bend and up then to the crest. I got the gearing right on this hill first time round and stood up for about 5 or 6 strokes after turning the 110 deg. Each lap there was someone else on it and I got to the top before they did each time, which felt good. (Thank you Howth Head - and christeb and kennyb3). I took the first gel (Hi5 iso) just before the end of the first flat section. (There was about 6 or 7 turns in the loop and when I came out of each I stood up on the pedals to get my momentum going again - sometimes the calves threatened to cramp when doing this). After this hill there was a great steep decent. Then we turned again onto the main road heading for the turnaround. This stretch seemed flat but it was a fair drag up to the turnaround and into the slight headwind, but once around the turn it was dropping gears and away like the clappers all the way back to the village across some undulations. I eased back a bit on the 2nd lap and pushed on for the 3rd and 4th. I took the 2nd and final gel around the turnaround point on the last loop. I gave the marshalls at the turnaround a big YeeHaa on the last lap. They had given me great encouragement each lap. The laps were good in that there was a good crowd of people and also a busy enough bike route. Although I never really seemed to have that many round me. I spotted Bjorn during the laps and shouted encouragement to him. He passed me in the 2nd or 3rd lap! (I have to stop letting him do that!!) My mate Brian is a member of Pulse and he introduced me to Colin Bolger who accidently did 5 laps!! He did 1 lap of the run and called it a day, having being sick during the week.

Bike: 01:09:54, 34.3kph. The bike computer went on the blink again but is giving an avg speed of 30.2kph and 50.5kph mx, and a distance of 21km odd??? (Maybe Bambatta could confirm the distance from his computer?)
    Sandbag no 2, having come in some 5 mins under my estimate!

T2 00:59
    A quick flying dismount and run into T2 to rack, whip off the helmet and glasses and on with the runners. No hick ups. I had twisted the race belt around on the run in and tought back to TriAthlone where I took the race belt off and had to go back for it!

Run

Finally arrived to my favourite part of this tri malarkey - the run. The run was 4 laps of 2.5k - you had to collect a wrist band (hair band) at the turnaround each lap. I felt good at the start of the run (no stomach issues) but knew I wasn't travelling as fast as I could. I was happy enough at that pace for now though, as this was a 10k - not the 5k of a sprint. I used the first lap to see the lie of the land - mostly flat, grand. I turned into the 3rd lap in around 23mins on my watch so wasn't too impressed, but that was including the run from transition. I was feeling the runners cutting into my toes and knew that I'ld have blisters later. Anyway, this was my time to push on a bit only 5k to go. My hamstring threatened to cramp once or twice so I had to watch that. I passed Brian on the 3rd lap before the turnaround. I also gave a nod to Bjorn and Bamabatta when I spotted them in the loops. Bjorn looked like he was getting it tough. Guess thats what you got to do if you want to win these things. Onto the last lap and I continued the pace and then upped it a bit more on the home straight and had a great sprint finish with myself, crossing the line with a grin from ear to ear. I feckin loved it. I passed loads on the run and was passed by a few. But with the short laps you don't know what laps people are on, but theres a great crowd on the course.

Run: 41:03, 4:07/km (6:36/ml) (Lap1&2 21:14, Lap3 9:57, Lap4 9:54). SB No3 - 1 minute under.

Overall time 02:21:23, 33rd O/A and 3rd in my age group, for which I got a £10 prize, sweet. SB No4.

My mate Brian came in a few people after me and was 4th in the AG.

It was a nice enough goody bag and t-shirt. After the finish we got water and a banana, plus a very nice glass cube with well detailed little images of an athlete swimming, cycling and running. I went down to the lake after and stood in the cold water for 5 or 10 minutes chatting to a few others. Some of which were from Pirahana Tri, which I have been threatening to join since the start of the year. It was nice to wait around after it and chat rather than tearing off.

So there you go, the first standard distance done to death!!
    When filling in the 'Years Race Wish List' and 'Tri Challenge' threads at the start of the year I put down an Olympic Dist not really knowing whether I would get to that level. Well with the help, advice and ideas gleaned from my fellow boardsies I today suceeded in that goal. Thanks to all of you, for the advice and the encouragement and I want to buy ye all a pint! Ok scratch that last bit, there's too many of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Thats absolutely brilliant going. Fair play to you. Your ability shone through today. You've really been putting the work in and it paid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Fair play Macanri what an excellent result never mind it being your first crack at the distance!! You've got back what you've put in with your training.
    Really well done and a great report too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well done Macanri. You'd a terrific race. You seemed very comfortable on the run. Good to meet you too.

sweet going MK, it's satisfying to see your great training being utilised to the max like that. You clearly paced yourself perfectly coming home with a run like that.

Great stuff Mac! What a great result, that is some run time too. Really enjoyed your report too dude, your enthusiasm for the sport shone through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Macanri, thats a great run time alright

Advertisement