Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Bambaata wrote: »
    Well done Macanri. You'd a terrific race. You seemed very comfortable on the run. Good to meet you too.

You looked fairly comfortable yourself. Congrats on another great race, albeit you had that difficulty on the bike.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Well done Macanri, thats a great run time alright
    Happy enough with the run alright, but there's always people goin' to be faster!

Another think I forgot to mention in the report is that for the swim, I left the zipper on the front of the trisuit down and that meant that the wetsuit didn't seem as tight around the chest as it was in Athlone. So will do that in future.

Sun 01 Aug 19:30
    Recovery Run

Sweated buckets during this run, but was helped through it by Tony Fenton who was playing Queens hits as part of his 'Essential' Series.

9.4km in 46:49, 4:59/km (8:01/ml), HR 146(~65%)/155(~70%)

Weekly Totals
    Swim 8300m (2600, 2500, 1700, 1500)
    Bike 58km (18, 40)
    Run 33.8km (12.4, 10, 9.4 + 2WU)
    1 Race: Lough Neagh Oly Tri

Month of July Totals:
    Swim 31,000m
    Bike 452.4km
    Run 123.2km

Mon 02 Aug 07:30
    Bike 92.1km

Met a workmate who has started cycling recently. Met him in Swords and we headed to Balbriggan, Julianstown, Duleek onto the N2, where we parted company and I headed on for Slane and then to meet Mrs M and kids at Newgrange farm. I was at a more leisurely pace than what I would normally be at. I think my work mate needs some hill training.

28.3kph av, 49.4kph mx, HR 136(~58%)/171(~81%)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi Macrani just catching up on logs now. Really well done on your first OD Tri and a fabulous result to boot! Everything was solid, 27 swim, 69 bike but the second half of the run was sub40 pace, something I'm struggling to get to :rolleyes: Put it this way, it was your first stint at the distance and you got within about 10 mins of Bambaata who is consistently top 10 and has 2 Tri wins under his belt. You are liftin' :D

Cheers MCOS, Yea well happy with the race - it all went well for me on the day. But don't be comparing me to Bambatta, he is in a different league to me, and sure I'm an auld fella!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done Mac. Savage going and a prize to boot. You must be well chuffed! Congrats :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Surperb. Wow. Well done Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi M, only got a chance to give the report a proper read now. fantastic stuff - you are really getting the rewards for such consistent training week in week out. great run time off the bike, you seem to have paced everything just about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great result! You are making this tri lark sound pi$$ easy:)

Thanks for the comments lads.

So the rest of the week so far has gone like so:

Tues Rest

Wed 04 Aug 07:00
    Swim LC 2000m

Turned the alarm off and woke again at 06:30 or so. I was anoyed about that. I knew I was only getting 2 sessions in this week so I decided to go to the pool and stay til 7:45 which would make me late for work. No harm done!

WU 200m FS
    10 x 100 off 2:15 (in 1:49 to 1:57)
    700m straight - time??
    2 x 50m CD

Wed 20:30
    Crash the Bike

Decided to do about 45km or so starting with a run up and over Howth by the graveyard.
    All was going to plan and I was heading down the hill towards the village. This bloke in a car (with wife and teenage kids in tow) slowed down when he saw a bus coming up the other side of the road just before the bend at the bottom of the hill in the village. Anyway, it was narrow enough but still he could have made it by, but instead he came to a complete stop. I had been slowing down and then I pulled the brakes hrd when he stopped. The brakes locked up and the bike did a little skid and went into the back of the car, I fell to the ground as I was clipped in still. No real damage to me Thank God, a cut knuckle, side of knee (a bit sore), and a cut ankle, thats it, not bad at all. He gets out of the car and I restrain myself and am fairly cordial, just asking him why he needed to stop. So he examines the back of his car and says there is a dint in it that wasn't there before (looks like it could have been the tri bar). He then notices the indicator light is broken, as I take the bit of embedded glass out of the end of the tribar. So, he says "this is gonna cost a bit to fix". I says "I have only a fiver on me"!!!. He says "I better call the Gaurds". So after about 45mins standing about in the cold (meanwhile he puts on the jacket he pulls from the car) the Gaurds arrive. They reckon it's my fault as my 'vehicle' crashe dinto te back of his. Unless he cut across my path. Looking back on it, he did pull into the left to be further away from the bus, which didn't leave me with much room to go anywhere but into the back of him. Anyway the guard was unsure and has gone to check out the law with his superintendent.

I didn't finish the 45km as I had no lights on the bike and was a wee bit peeved about the whole thing. Th bike is grand lucky enough, but I notice a small noise out of the back hub which I haven't noticed before. Seems fine though.

So 19.3km, av 29.6kph, mx 53.5kph. No HRM

Thurs 05 Aug 06:30
    7th Swim Session NAC, 2400m

WU 8 x 50FS Group,
    800 str descend,
    2 x 400 FS with Pullbouy (descend each 400),
    100 bk st,
    100 sprint in 1:37 (PB),
    2 x 100 CD

A very enjoyable session, felt it in the arms though.

Thurs 21:15
    Run 13.8km

I went out to the Mount Carmel hospital via public transport to see my sister and bro-in-law who had their first baby (a boy, 8lb 6oz) on Mon last. She is looking great for what she went through and the baby is a real buster. I ran home through town after that. I think they both thought I was a little touched!

Felt great, but pushed over parts and was sweating like mad. The bag on the back has caused abit of friction burn on the back. 0.5km WU and did the 13.8km in 59 mins on the nose. 4:17/km (6:53/ml), HRM was playing up reading 86 in places, LOL, but reckon from glancing at it when it was working that it was 169 av (~80%), 178 mx (~85%).

Rest day today, Friday. And Pulse Sprint Tri in the morning, in which I plan to give it absolute socks, no holding back whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Guy in the car sounds like a prick, hopefully nothing more comes of it... good luck tomorrow, it was a great race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hope sprint went ok for you after than incident. Bad form out of him, you were on a bike

Cheers lads. What goes around comes around. Both for me and him. Probably pay back for some sh!t I have done too!! The Guards still have to get back to me, so we'll see what happens!

Re the sprint, bad swim for me, ok bike and run, 1:14:15. 41st O/A. Heading out for a recovery bike (can't run for a day or two now! foot injury). Report to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Hit me up with a text if you want to cycle tomorrow night, I'm just in from my LSR and would prefer the cycle tomorrow

christeb wrote: »
    Hit me up with a text if you want to cycle tomorrow night, I'm just in from my LSR and would prefer the cycle tomorrow

Nice hill climbing session yesterday evening. Cheers.

This tri was always going to be a good day out for me no matter what the time or the conditions as it was going to be done in my home county, just a stones throw from where my father was reared, and on a beach that I had come to many times as a child, pot of stew and all in tow!! Well, it was a very well run event and I had a great day overall.

So I arrived down to transition nice and early (~9:00, for race start of 11:00) and parked up, headed over for registration and met Bryan (mate from last week - he’s a member of Pulse). I also met another lad from our school (Anthony) who was doing his first tri. Bryan wasn’t staying around due to family circumstances, but I had a great auld chat with Anthony. He was full of questions relating to the transition and the whole tri affair. So I gave him any tips I could think of and helped him set up his transition. On the way into transition they were checking everyone’s brakes and helmets, which was a first, but proper order really. I met a few others from Clogherhead area and at the race briefing I met a bloke who I had been chatting to a few times in the NAC, who was then training for IM Nice. He did it in around 12hrs, IIRC.

I don’t have splits as when I went to get the slip of paper from the van at the end of the race I was informed that my chip wasn’t working and that he had to manually record my finish time.

Swim

The swim course was 3 sides of a rectangle, so it started about 3 or 400 m south of transition. The tide had turned and was starting to recede so they were anxious to get the first wave in to the water. On walking down towards the start people were going into the water to acclimatise so I did the same. There were a lot of rocks in this section and I ended up standing on one with full force which hurt the arch of my foot. I didn’t think it was to bad at the time but it resurfaced with a vengeance on the run. (I don’t know whether I should write the next bit, but sure what the hell). I had a call of nature on the way to the start so I didn’t want that affecting me so I went in the wetsuit in the water, (no 1 obviously - I’ve read that thread!). It was a beach start so on the count of three we were off and running through the water into knee height, where I started to dolphin dive to get going and after a while I was swimming. I had decided again to go out wide, which I did. Now I was a bit too wide and I managed to get back in closer at the first buoy. Having turned the buoy, there was a fair northerly wind, which created a bit of a choppy wave and also the tide seemed to be pushing against us. I found the next stretch very difficult in those conditions, which wasn’t helped by my p!ss poor sighting. It was very bad sighting , I’ld say I was about 20 or 30m away from the main bunch! I ended up taking a fair few mouthfuls of water and breast stroked for split seconds twice or three times to get my bearings. I need more OW swims, simple as. After what felt like an absolute age I turned the buoy and was dolphin diving up to the beach before I knew it. I glanced at the watch which read 18:xx. I had started it early so I’ld say an 18min swim - 2:24/100m. :(

T1 Went fairly well. The usual short struggle to get the wetsuit legs over the heel.

Bike

The bike went fairly well for me. I nearly lost it shortly after the start rounding a left hand bend which was bendier than I thought it was; luckily I managed to keep it on the road without going into the grass verge. The surface was not great in spots but overall was ok ish. There were a few little drags but no real serious hills. On turning at the last crossroad the north wind hit us and it was a struggle for the next few km up to transition. I passed a few more here. I had been passed by a couple also during the bike course.

T2 I got my feet out of the shoes and did my dismount into a run as usual. But I forgot that my spot was so close to the dismount line and I was looking all around in front of me for my bike spot, and then copped on to look at the numbers, which I did and discovered that I was about 20 places to far up. So that delayed the T2 by a few seconds. Then I had the usual crampy calves as I bent down to put on my runners. 1 quick stretch on 1 leg and I was away.

Run

As soon as I started running I was hit with the pain in the arch of my right foot, from where I had stood on the rock earlier. I glanced at my watch when I crossed the timing mat and it read 56:xx. So I knew that my planned for 1:10 time was gone, but I continued on and assessed how my foot was feeling. It didn’t seem like I was going to do any real damage from running on it so I continued, trying not to think about the pain but aware of it in case it did cause a long term injury. Anyway, I picked off the few people fairly soon, including one or two who had passed me on the bike. Then it was a matter of picking of another 1 or 2 slowly as I ran up the gentle incline on the out and back course. The incline turned into more of a climb as we neared the turnaround, where I took on some welcome and much needed water. Running down the hill felt good and I passed 1 or 2 more. There was a few a good bit ahead of me with about 1.5km to go but I never caught up with them enough to challenge them with a sprint finish. So about 400m or so from the end I really upped the pace and when I turned the corner (as the bloke on the PA called out my name, as he did for each competitor (nice touch) I sprinted the last 100m or so across the finish line. I was happy to see that the time read 1:14:xx.

Had some sandwiches and coffee then while chatting to the IM from the NAC and a workmate who is a local to Clogherhead. We went over to the massage tent before any queue had formed and I had a lovely massage except for where she nearly reduced me to tears when she worked on the arch of my foot. They were also selling crepes so i had to buy one or two seen as they were for charity, nom nom.

Final time was 1:14:15 which was good enough for 41st O/A out of a field of 300+. The age groups were 20 - 29, 30 - 39 etc, so I finished well down on the AG.

The run was not 5km (more like 4.6 or 4.7km). As my chip was broke I only had a finish time and no splits, but from my watch times the numbers are approx. as so:
    Swim 18:00 (2:24/100m), T1 1:30, Bike 35:45 (33.6kph av), T2 1:00, Run 18:00 for 4.6km (3:55/km or 6:18/ml).

I was planning on a better swim so that I could PB on my last sprint of the year, but sure that’s the way the cookie crumbles! A great day was had, and as I drove into Drogheda on the back road from Clogherhead I was reminded of the numerous times my brothers and I cycled out this road on a summers evening, with the fishing rods taped to the bar of the bikes, to head to the pier to catch some mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Nice report Mac. Top 13% man is a great result! I know that "just stod on a rock on the arch of my foot feeling" - not nice, doubt there's a triathlete that doesn't know it! Well done again dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yeah I got badly caught on my only sea swim of the year as well, crawled to a 18.xx swim as well and the distance was short too, it definitely takes a bit of getting used to

Sun 08 Aug 19:30
    Bike 30.5km

Recovery session around by the airport on the bike as I couldn't run due to foot injury.
    58:40, 31.2kph av, HR 143 (~62%) / 213 (+100%???) HRM on the blink? I hope so!!

Weekly Totals
    Swim 5150m (2000, 2400, 750)
    Bike 161.9km (92, 19.3, 20, 30.5)
    Run 19.6km (13.8, 5 +WU)
    1 Race: Pulse logherhead Sprint Tri

Mon 09 Aug 06:30
    Swim LC 2650m

WU 2 x 100,
    10 x 100 off 2:15 (1:49 - 55),
    5 x 250 off 5:30 (4:45 - 4:56),
    CD 2 x 100

19:45 Bike 53.7km

Met up with the hill climbing machine that is christeb, and headed up around Hoth Head x 2 via the church. Both times I was over taken by the fecker on his new bike.:D It was a good session. We parted ways then and I went round by Malahide and the airport and Santry for home.

So O/A 53.7km at 30.8kph av, 61.5kph max, HR 153 (~69%) / 226 (+100??) HR was at 188 going up the first section of hill on the first lap.

Tues 10 Aug
    Rest day, spent the evening hoovering and washing floors. :rolleyes:

Wed 11 Aug 06:30
    Swim LC 2600

It's funny that when I take a rest day I start to feel niggles I hadn't been aware of earlier. eg felt sore in left knee and left ankle yesterday going up and down stairs. then I woke up during the night and my shoulder seemed sore. I was thinking of ditching this mornings swim, but I was glad I didn't as it was a good session.

WU 3 x 100,
    500 in 9:47,
    5 x 200 off 4:15 (3:47, 41, 44, 46, 44),
    500 in 9:53,
    CD 3 x 100

Heading out for a run now to see how the arch is doing, seems fine, I will know in about 15 mins!

20:45 Run 9.7km

Arch tender for the first few k but not noticable thereafter, good stuff, toughish run.
    41:44, 4:18/km (6:55/ml), HR 165 (~77%) / 174 (~82%).

• Advertisement

Thurs 12 Aug
    Swim 2500m 8th Coached Session

I got there early so did 2 x 100m easy.
    WU 3 x (50 FS, 50 Choice, 50 Kick (w Fins)) + 50 Choice
    15 x 100 @ just above race pace. (Our group choose 27:30 as race time = 1:50 race pace. SO come in faster than 1:50, and off at 2:05 each time.) Actual were 1:44 -:48.
    CD 3 x 100

the 15 100s were tough enough going.

We had relations calling in the evening so the planned bike was gone. I felt tired anyway and decided to give this mornings swim a miss. Nothing this evening or until tomorrow evening as Mrs M is going away for a night with her cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Thats great swimming. You're really coming on in the pool.
    I might go for a dip at the bull wall some evening next week if your interested? High tide seems to be in the evenings next week which will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id also be on for that evening Bull Wall dip if ye are heading to it!

Great Stuff. Mon Tue or Wed suits me - around 8ish - kids to bed first!

Yea, any day suits me. High tides are 4, 5.15 and 6.30 on mon, tue and wed so wednesday is probably better but I'm easy.

Sound, We'll see what suits Bambatta too so. If anyone else wants to join us give us a shout.

A question: I have looked at the predicted tide times here:
    http://pocketsizetides.com/node/2
    (I'll have to check have I linked to that right.)
    So my reading of it is that high tides are 17:09, 18:16 and 19:31 from Mon - Wed? This table agrees with the times on the Irish Times website tides for today of a high at 14:36 today.
    Where are you getting your times from? OK I think I know. I bet you have taken them from easy tide and not applied the daylight saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cheers mloc,

Yea I've heard of these before thru the surfing forum. They sound like right nasty little b*stards. Just don't walk around within 1 to 2 hrs of low tide. The less walking around the sand you do the better.

Macanri wrote: »
    Where are you getting your times from? OK I think I know. I bet you have taken them from easy tide and not applied the daylight saving?
    yup

• Advertisement

Re the OW swim, I think Tues would suit me best as I am racing Carlingford Oly on Sat. How does that suit you guys. I'll try get there before 8.

Sat 14 Aug 17:45
    Run 17.1km

Was tired starting out but got going after a few km. The HR was up in the mid 160s fairly soon, probably due to heat and tiredness, and the fact that I wasn't finding it exactly easy. I recorded my time as 53:10 at 11.4km ,and then picked it up from there.
    11.4km in 53:10, 4:40/km (7:30/ml) HR ~165 av (77%)
    5.7km in 23:10, 4:04/km (6:32/ml) HR ~175 av (84%)
    O/A 17.1km in 1:16:20, 4:28/km (7:11/ml) HR 165av (77%), 177mx (85%)

Advertisement