Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Sun 15 Aug 12:20
    Bike 57.2km

Spin up to the parents N of Drogheda. Mrs M & the kids then met up with me and we went to their cousins 4th birthday party, then onto bro in laws and back to Mam & Dads. A busy day.
    57.2km in 1:45, 32.7kph av, HR 156av (~71%), 176mx (~84%).

Weekly Totals
    Swim 7750 (2650, 2600, 2500)
    Bike 110.9 (53.7, 57.2)
    Run 26.8 (9.7, 17.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im not sure if tomorrow will suit me as i may have to attend a funeral unfortunately (no one close fortunately). I'll know tomorrow morning. I was at North Wall on Saturday and it was savage! Best weather ive ever had there. We'll need to keep close enough to the high tide time for North Wall. An hour or two either side should be ok but anything beyond that and it might be too shallow (ive been caught out a few times there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yo Mac - if you're not doing tomorrow then you should join me for the Boards TT in Howth. Turn right at Sutton X and it's just up at the graveyard - 1900.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Im not sure if tomorrow will suit me as i may have to attend a funeral unfortunately (no one close fortunately). I'll know tomorrow morning. I was at North Wall on Saturday and it was savage! Best weather ive ever had there. We'll need to keep close enough to the high tide time for North Wall. An hour or two either side should be ok but anything beyond that and it might be too shallow (ive been caught out a few times there!)

Ok. We could say wed evening then at around 8pm. or slightly before. how does that suit you guys?

christeb wrote: »
    Yo Mac - if you're not doing tomorrow then you should join me for the Boards TT in Howth. Turn right at Sutton X and it's just up at the graveyard - 1900.

Cheers for the offer christeb. I am dropping the bike in for a service tomorrow, so will be out on the MTB tomorrow. Don't think I'ld fit in with that at a TT! All the best for it - will be interested to see how you fair out. Is kennyb3 doing it or is he on holidays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Wednesday suits me fine. Any time too so whatever suits ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Macanri wrote: »
    Ok. We could say wed evening then at around 8pm. or slightly before. how does that suit you guys?
    Yea thats grand with me aswell.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Wednesday suits me fine. Any time too so whatever suits ye
    nomadic wrote: »
    Yea thats grand with me aswell.

Ok so, we'll say 8 on Wed. I'll give ye a text during the day. Looking forward to my 2nd OW training session this year:o!

Mon 16 Aug 21:15
    Recovery Run 6.2km

A quick short run on what was going to be a rest day. Sorry to see the dark evenings closing in.
    31:43, 5:07/km (8:14/ml), HR 151av (~68%), 158mx (~73%).

Tues 17 Aug 20:00
    Bike MTB 32.3km

The bike is in for a service (picking it up tomorrow Fri - seems a bit long but they are always busy in there!). So went out on the MTB, around by Malahide, Santry. Was happy with the avg speed of 31kph as it shows a bit of an improvement on the av speed from the last few times I was out on the MTB - End of April. On the plus side of being out on the MTB was that the saddle is less sore and the road feels smoother. The position is vastly different to the racer though and am now wondering am I set up right on the racer at all!!

Wed 18 Aug 20:00
    OW Swim 2000m
    Run 9.2km

Its always good to have company for training sessions and I was glad for the company of nomadic and Bambatta for the OW swim at the N Bull Wall yesterday evening. The conditions were choppy, but as I said on nomadics log, its good training. I kept up with the lads for the first 500m against the ebb and then settled down a bit (seeing as I'm in taper:)). You know its choppy when as you sight forward you can see people not just in front of you but also below you!!! Glad to have got another OW training swim in as I haven't done near enough. I can't seem to swim straight in the OW at all! I was slightly behind the lads for the finish so I'ld say i was more like 38 or 39 mins for the 1970m. We added in another 30m for good measure and fairness - them GPS watches are a great job.

nomadic headed on, and Bambatta joined me for a steady 9.2km run, (steady for me - I have the feelng it was more recovery pce for him!). Done in 41:42 i think, 4:32/km (7:17/ml), HR 164av (~77%), 173mx (~82%).

So, thanks again for the company lads. i will try to get another OW in over the next few weeks.

Thurs 19 Aug 06:30
    9th Swim Session LC 2200m

Arrived early and did 2 x 100m then into it:
    2 x (50FS, 50Kick, 50pull, 50choice),
    6x75 (w Fins, 10sec RT, then Scull&Sprint start),
    350m w fins, sight thrice every 50,
    4x50 pull bouy (25doggy, 25sprint),
    200m Bk St,
    4x100 (every 2nd 50as 50Doggy, 50CthUp, 50Side Kick Alt, 50Choice

Well I didn't exactly have a moment of madness, but that damn thread waving places going for The Lost Sheep had me asking Mrs M if she wouldn't mind I did it at the end of our holiday in Kerry the first week of September. She finally agreed and I got a place for the HIM event. I had checked out the site and the course details so knew what I was getting myself in for.

So thats it. Never imagined I'ld be signing up for a HIM when I started out on the tri malarkey! I wonder should I think about changing the gear set up on my racer - I haven't a clue about the gearing.

So the plan for the next 3 weeks after Carlingford this Sat will be:
    Week 1: plenty of hill climbing on the bike over Howth, a few longish runs, and continue the morning swims.
    Week 2: First half much the same and then short sharp sessions.
    Week 3: Holiday week so have promised to do very little, so a few lengths of the pool, a short bike and a short run. Then 11th Sept will be The Lost Sheep, which is now starting at 7am, so transition will prob close around 6:15, which means I will have to leave Banna around 4:30!! Insane.:eek:

I have reviewed nomadics and Abhainns logs of the few weeks leading up to their HIM in Swinford - if I get within 15mins or so of their times I'll be well happy.

• Advertisement

This was due to be my last tri of the season and my second standard distance. The plan was to try and beat the 2:21:xx time from the Lough Neagh SD tri. It is now not my last as I have got a spare place for The Lost Sheep. I was fairly sure that I would beat the PB - if the swim was in calm water and the bike was as flat as I tought it was (it wasn't - more later).

So another tri for the home county, and as it was at 12 bells and about 1hr from Dublin I had a relaxed enough morning, getting the kids fed and watered and letting Mrs M have a well deserved lie in.

When I got up there I registered, and noticed that the water looked nice and calm, a small bit of wind ripples, but really looked inviting, great. I chatted to a few as I got things sorted and as I set up transition I met my mates sister who fell off the bike in Lough Neagh, shes ok now and has a bit of a scar on her shoulder. She finished 5th in her AG.

Swim
    The course was a triangular 750m course where you had to exit the water up the slipway and run around a set of cones and back into the water. The water felt a bit cold, but I knew that that wouldn't last long. There were plenty of hills/mountains rolling down to the water in the distance (the scenry up there is great) so I picked the side of one of the hills to site off (remembering MCOS, El Ds and interesteds words on the 'Cleavage' for Valentia - ta lads). The start happened fairly swiftly and this time I started in the middle of the line up about 3 back from the front so was in the mix up to the first bouy, which seemed to take a bit of time to get to. Everyone was civil enough so no dramas here DG. I had sighted every 1st or 2nd breath so was sighting good for a change. So on to the next bouy and as I was heading for it I was thinking it was going to be a bit of a mental battle to have to get out of the water and do it all again, so I preparred myself for that. So we reached the slipway and I continued swimming while others were walking until my hands were touching concrete. Around the cones and the lad infront of me falls off the edge of the submerged slipway as he was making his way for the 2nd lap. So I knew there was going to be a drop, and that was that I was swimming again. I tried draft off a lad for a while, but he was going a bit left. I didn't stay on course as well for the 2nd lap but it wasn't bad it was more of a long curve between bouys, than a zigzag or a straight line. So I tried to keep long strokes and only thought about trying to roll more between the 1st and 2nd bouys on this last lap:rolleyes: oh to be a more natural swimmer where I wouldn't have to think of all these things and just swim. Arrived up the slipway and read 28:xx on the watch, and chip time across the mat before transition was 28:45 for a 79th pos out of ~215. (1:55/100m).

During the first lap I got that flippin pain in me head again and it remained with me during the bike, and for the first few k of the run. Have to do something about that! I asked Mrs M about it - "just don't do them":rolleyes:

T1 Went very well no dramas, 00:54, which I am more than happy with.

Bike
    The bike started good with a good LoF and out on to a flattish road with a very good surface overall. From the first turnaround to the 2nd turnaround is where the sneaky hilly drags came from with a good westerly wind. (I had mapped my ride on an old route so got the elevation profile wrong). this stretch really took me by surprise and I was a bit despondant as I could see the dodgy computer giving 22kph as the current speed - o dear whats wrong with my legs - not realising that it was such a drag. Anyway after the turnaround it was mostly downhill with the wind on my back, and for the first time I was really flying - hitting 50kph for good sections of it. So back to the top of the road near transition and turnaround for lap 2. I was more ready for the hills this time round and handled them alot better. On the way back towards transition I copped another old secondary school buddy, who I noticed back in April on results pages and photos when I started the tris, but as yet hadn't met him (Colm).

As an aside - I collected the bike from the service yesterday and I was talking to them about my set up. He recokned I was a bit 'stretched' on it so he told me to move the saddle forward. I found this position to be quite good today and seemed to get a little more power or spun better from it. Last night I also adjusted the cleats on the shoes to have my feet more where I think I'ld like them and that worked a treat, for the first time in a few weeks they were totally not sore coming off the bike - great stuff, happy days.

Time for the bike 1:05:29, 36.7kph avg. Now I have a feeling that the bike was a few k short! Feck that.

T2 Again went well. 00:39.

Run
    Started great - my legs were flying, no brick feeling really at all. Then on the road out, about 2 km or so when I started to push on for the sub 40 goal I started to cramp in my left hamstring, so eased back and it dissipated a bit. Then shortly after it came again and I had to stop this time - up with the hands down touch the toes and hold. 30 secs or so wasted spent. On again and had to be cautious so was unable to push as hard as I wanted, damned tired muscles. (I need to drink more water the day before the Lost Sheep and maybe a Zym too) So was reigning people in before that and also after that, but more slowly. I then saw the school buddy, Colm on his return leg and said hello. After the turnaround I started to up the pace again and was able to hold it until about 2k out when the same cramp came back again to annoy me, so eased again and got to the transition area and had a weakish sprint finish against myself to the finish line.
    41:01 for the run, 4:06/km (6:36/ml).

O/A Time 2:16:50, result! PB. 34th O/A and 7th in AG.

I met Colm at the finish and had a good chat, he finished 2:12, 20th OA and 4th in AG. I waited around for the BBQ and was glad I did - delishious, as my daughter would say. I also met Kevin who I had a sprint finish with in Blackrock Super Sprint (he won it), and Adrian who I had a sprint finish with in Athlone (I won it). I came in ahead of the 2 of them today :). Seriously though it's great to meet people from other races and that is surely the case at the tris as there are not as many doing them, so you keep bumping into the same heads. I also met a lad called Peter from Dundalk. I had met him before on a night out in Dundalk last Christmas and was talking to him then telling him I was going to do the tris this year, mad. He is a good cyclist by all accounts and finishes in the top places normally. he was sick today so a 2:12 was all he could manage having had to stop on the bike to go to the loo! enough said.

So another super day. the weather was generally good a few showers on the end of the bike. The atmosphere was great and the people very friendly. Another great run race from the Setanta Tri Club, just get the distances bang on please.

Sun 22 Aug 13:00
    Recovery Run

A tough enough run, 9.7km being far enough on tired legs. I listened to the Marathon talk podcasts that beepbeep linked too. A good show, listened to the one about IM marathons and the interview with Chrissie Wellington on her Kona IM, enjoyed it. 48:55, 5:02/km (8:07/ml), HRM playing up but about 145av (~64%), 148mx (~66%).

After the run I decided to try nomadics low fat supermilk, nutella and banana recovery drink. Verdict - tasty stuff.

Weekly Totals
    Swim (5700m): 2000, 2200, 1500
    Bike (72.3km): 32.3, 40
    Run (35.8km): 6.2, 9.2, 10, 9.7 +WU
    1 Race: Carlingford Tri

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done on the excellent PB MAc, you had some race! Great splits all round , you must have been thrilled really. Good sign to see such a good run time, meant you finished strong and paced yourself perfectly :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

great result up north and congrats on the p.b.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You're in great form all season, fair play to ya

Well done on the excellent PB MAc, you had some race! Great splits all round , you must have been thrilled really. Good sign to see such a good run time, meant you finished strong and paced yourself perfectly :cool:
    Yea, was well happy withthe result. Re the pacing, I suppose I don't really go mad on the swim which helps conserve a bit of energy for the bike and run. The bike course finishes with 5 or 8 km mostly downhill or flat so I had a good chance to spin towards the end of the bike.
    Glad to see you getting back on form, as the others have said, ease back into it. The end of the season has come around very quick! Unreal.
    interested wrote: »
    great result up north and congrats on the p.b.
    Cheers, Carlingford is in Co. Louth (An Lú abu) :). I think you were beside me in lane 5 in the pool this morning, I was in lane 4. If not it must have been some other torpedo!!
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    You're in great form all season, fair play to ya
    Cheers man, the training has gone very well since the achilles injury and chest infection at the very start of the year. I will be doing at least 3 loops of Howth Head tomorrow evening if your at a loose end and want some pain!!
    Good to hear you came out of that 'crash' ok, I'ld say it fairly shook you alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Cheers, Carlingford is in Co. Louth (An Lú abu) :). I think you were beside me in lane 5 in the pool this morning, I was in lane 4. If not it must have been some other torpedo!!

Its still north of Dublin ;)

Yeah, I managed to get along for a splash this morning. It'll get busier there soon with the clubs coming back but something very nice about a near empty pool of any description. I was between sets and I thought I heard 'lets get this over with' from someone close by - it could have been you or the guy sharing the lane but I was starting a set of IM and had similar thoughts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

2:16 is a cracking result well done Mac! 41 off the bike is excellent and you showed strong in all 3! A good winter for you and I can see good things happening next year :) Focus on cycling up hills for the next 2 weeks. I reckon you will be fine for the swim and run. Maybe a couple of 2.5 -3hr hilly bikes with 20min run off. Then taper for a week, sleep loads and bias your diet over to slow release carbs

Cheers man, the training has gone very well since the achilles injury and chest infection at the very start of the year. I will be doing at least 3 loops of Howth Head tomorrow evening if your at a loose end and want some pain!!
    Good to hear you came out of that 'crash' ok, I'ld say it fairly shook you alright.

I'll have to let you know with work etc but if i can make it i will as i need a good push after coming back from holidays. What time you thinking? Just i dont have a decent set of lights for the bike yet and the evenings are starting to get shorter.

Ah man i honestly thought i was f'cuked, thankfully he copped me at the last second and swerved. I could see and my bike in bits 10m away had he hit me full on.

interested wrote: »
    Its still north of Dublin ;)

Yeah, I managed to get along for a splash this morning. It'll get busier there soon with the clubs coming back but something very nice about a near empty pool of any description. I was between sets and I thought I heard 'lets get this over with' from someone close by - it could have been you or the guy sharing the lane but I was starting a set of IM and had similar thoughts ;)

Yea, after 7am it was practically empty - just one lane over the far side being used - it was like swimming in Lough Neagh:p
    I wasn't talking out loud -at least I don't think so. Although yes I was thinking the same!
    2:16 is a cracking result well done Mac! 41 off the bike is excellent and you showed strong in all 3! A good winter for you and I can see good things happening next year :) Focus on cycling up hills for the next 2 weeks. I reckon you will be fine for the swim and run. Maybe a couple of 2.5 -3hr hilly bikes with 20min run off. Then taper for a week, sleep loads and bias your diet over to slow release carbs

Thanks man. In relation to next year, God only knows what will happen - Mrs M thinks I have done and am doing too much!! So we'll have to play it by ear.
    Thanks for the advice, Yes hills are the order of the day. Slow release carbs can be found in ... For 10 marks please fill in the dots, thanks. I'm very lazy, sure I could prob google it.
    This is my plan for the next few weeks, what do people think? It consists of a week and a half of big sessions, then bringing it down from there:
    Mon 23
    AM Swim 1000str, 10 x 100 off 2:15, 1000str
    PM Run 16km steady
    Tues
    Bike - Hill repeats Howth Head
    Wed 25
    AM Swim - 500str, 5 x 200 off 4:15, 5 x 100 off 2:15, 500str
    PM Run - 20km steady
    Thurs 26
    AM Swim session with Bjorn - last one so will be a 30min TT. Hope for 1500m in the 30mins
    PM Bike/Run Brick - Hill Repeats and 9.4km run
    Fri REST
    Sat 28 Long Bike out towards Wicklow I think - hills (about 3:30 to 4:00) This will be a very early one, leaving house about 5:30 to be back for 9:30.
    Sun 29 LSR 25km
    Mon 30
    AM Swim - Some form of sets, don't know what to do here yet.
    PM Bike - Longish easy spin ~ 60km
    Tues 31
    Run ~18km with 8 or 9 at Race Pace (1:35 so 4:30/km (7:15/ml)
    Wed 01 Sept
    AM Swim - have to see what to do
    PM Bike - Hill Repeats
    Thurs REST
    Fri 03 Run - Easy ~ 13 or 16km
    Sat 04 Bike - 50km Steady/easy
    Sun - Holidays Travel to Kerry
    Holiday Week small swims, 1 to 1+1/2 hr bike, ~1hr steady run. No beers, maybe the very odd glass of red whine with Mrs M.

Opnions very much appreciated.
    I'll have to let you know with work etc but if i can make it i will as i need a good push after coming back from holidays. What time you thinking? Just i dont have a decent set of lights for the bike yet and the evenings are starting to get shorter.

Ah man i honestly thought i was f'cuked, thankfully he copped me at the last second and swerved. I could see and my bike in bits 10m away had he hit me full on.

The usual 8pm ish sort of time. I have lights but there just mediocre, the main think is I will be seen, (I depend on my good eye sight for what's lacking in my lights!)

• Advertisement

Sat 28 Long Bike out towards Wicklow I think - hills (about 3:30 to 4:00) This will be a very early one, leaving house about 5:30 to be back for 9:30.

What sort of route are you going to take out, i ve dying to get out to wicklow for ages but am always nervous about getting lost/stranded. Must bite the bullet some day, tho defo not at 5.30 in the morning. savage dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done at the weekend dude. Savage going.

What sort of route are you going to take out, i ve dying to get out to wicklow for ages but am always nervous about getting lost/stranded. Must bite the bullet some day, tho defo not at 5.30 in the morning. savage dedication.

You can't build me up like that and let me go -I tought you were about to say you were going to go for a spin with me this Sat!!:D

Don't really know what route to take yet - need to research it first. But mapmyride has a fair few on it so this wil be the starting point of my researching. When I know the route I will post it here.

As for dedication - its a matter of needs must. We are going to a 3yr olds birthday party later in the day. Mrs M not to impressed as she won't get her lie in now!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great result there Macanri. Great, great performance. As MCOS get in a few long bikes before Lost Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Cracking stuff once again. Well done!

I'm a big fan of this route. You can head straight out to enniskerry via the enniskerry road to miss the first bit of climbing if you want. Nice quiet roads and lovely scenery.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/-dublin/wicklow/850127482001274970

Abhainn wrote: »
    Great result there Macanri. Great, great performance. As MCOS get in a few long bikes before Lost Sheep

Cheers Abhainn. I had a look at your log to see what few weeks you put in before Swinford. You did a lot of running and crashed the bike - I think I'll stick to what nomadic did:D. Good luck with your marathon training, that's some time your chasing, unreal!
    nomadic wrote: »
    Cracking stuff once again. Well done!

I'm a big fan of this route. You can head straight out to enniskerry via the enniskerry road to miss the first bit of climbing if you want. Nice quiet roads and lovely scenery.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/-dublin/wicklow/850127482001274970

Dude, thanks a mill for that. I feel like a school kid cogging of the lad beside me. I have plagerised your 3 week sprior to Swinford and am drinking your Milk, Banana and Nutella recovery drink (MBN - I have nicked name d it the credit card recovery drink!) That drink couldn't bee good for you - it tastes too good! And now I will be following your wicklow hills route. Cheers man.

That you i spotted heading up howth around 7.45, orange lens and red/orange jacket? waved at you, was on the way down, only copped you at last second if it was you. Was on my way home at that stage. You lucky git you missed the rain!

That you i spotted heading up howth around 7.45, orange lens and red/orange jacket? waved at you, was on the way down, only copped you at last second if it was you. Was on my way home at that stage. You lucky git you missed the rain!

I was heading up by the church side for the first lap - would have been about 7:50ish. I don't think it was me. Yes I had the yellow lenses in the glasses but I was wearing my new short sleeved Francais des Jeux jersay (2009 ed) which is mostly white with a blue four leaf clover on it. I noded at most people I met so I don't think I saw you. No worries.
    I had a good tough session, really cheffed with it now. 1st lap - via church, 2nd via school/graveyard, 3rd via RHS of the church:eek:, 4th via the school/graveyard again.

Mon 23 Aug 06:20
    Swim LC 3200m

WU 100
    1000 in 21:10
    10 x 100 off 2:15 (in 1:50, 51, 52, 49, 53, 50, 51, 51, 53, 50)
    1000 in 21:00
    CD 100

Found the last 1000 tough, but thought back to the Chrissie Wellington interview - basically you have to overcome the tough sessions in training so you can overcome a tough section of a race!

Mon 20:00 Run 17.1km

Set off for a steady run but was feeling good so decided to push it a little. I met a friend after the first few km so stopped for about 10mins or so to chat. So the session was broke in three: pre meeting friend, main section and a cool down.

2.9km in 13:00, 4:29/km (7:13/ml), HR 165av (~77%)
    12.3km in 53:00, 4:19/km (6:56/ml), HR 174av (~83%)
    1.9km in 8:50, 4:39/km (7:29/ml), HR 153av (~69%)
    O/A 17.1km in 74:50, 4:22/km (7:02/ml) HR 169av (~80%), 181mx (~87%)

Tues 24 Aug 19:40
    Bike - Hill Repeats - 47km

I took a whey protein drink in the morning to help the legs before the evening. I haven't taken one in ages. I know they help, but I'm not mad on the taste of them. I will take another few over the next few days.

Howth Head beckoned. Headed up via the church first, then turned around at the bottom of the hill and climbed via the graveyard, turned again at Sutton Cross and went up via the church again but I decided that I would try something different and went right at the church (mapmyride gives 1 section of this at 8%), then turned again at the bottom of the hill and back up via the graveyard (4%). The reason I decided to do something different was driven by 1. curiousity, but more by 2. In Kenmare I will be cycling a route and hills I have never done before, so I wanted to do a hill I had never done before! I was gasping for breath when I got past the steep section. But it made the last hill repeat seem very manageable.

Wed 25 Aug 06:30
    Swim 2700m LC

I debated whether to get out of the bed or not when the alarm went. Glad I did. The legs felt ok, considering last nights hills.
    WU 100m
    500m in 10:20
    5 x 200 off 4:15 (in 3:50, 55, 58, 55, 57)
    5 x 100 off 2:15 (in 1:51, 54, 55, 53, 52)
    500m in 10:15
    CD 100m

• Advertisement

Wed 25 Aug 19:45
    Run 15.4km

I had written ~20km in the plan for today, but half way through I was thinking that the run milage for the week was going to be considerably higher than the preceeding weeks and not wanting to tempt an injury I decided to do 15.4km. That's the great thing about the loop I run - I can turn off at any stage to make the run anything from ~4km to ~20km or more! My body was probably telling me about the hill repeats from the preceeding night.

Done in 1:13:25, 4:46/km (7:40/ml), HR 152av(~69%), 160mx(~74%)

Thurs 26 Aug 06:30
    10th Coached Swim Session
    2200 NAC LC

After the warm up we had to do an 800m TT to se how we are progressing. I had thought it was going to be a 1500m TT, I wasn't complaining.

WU 50FS, 50bkst, 2 x 50 side kicks alt every 3 strokes
    800m TT in 13:20 (PB, 1:40/100m)
    100FS,
    3 x 100 (1:50, 48, 44) 20sec RT
    400 FS easy
    3 x 100 (1:48, 50, 45) 20sec RT.
    CD 100FS

Delighted with the TT. I went out quick and tried to hold it for the 800 and it worked. There was a breast stroker in the lane with me when I was doing the TT so I had to swim around him every second length too!

Thurs 21:30
    Bike 29.4km/Run 4.2km Brick

The little lad had slept during the day and didn't settle down to sleep til after 9, so I ended up going out in the dark for this one.
    2 x Howth Head (via graveyard then via church) 29.4km, av29.5kph, mx59.2kph, HR 149(67%)av, 178(86%)mx. Then off the bike and fairly sharpish out the door for a moonlit brick, run 4.2km in 16:18, 3:53/km (6:15/ml), HR167(78%)av, 174mx(83%).

Fri 27 Aug
    Thank God for Rest Days

Sat 28 Aug 05:45
    Bike 83km Wicklow Enniskerry Area

Thanks to nomadic I had a route to work to without any research needed. I tried to remember the route but unfortunately took a few wrong turns getting to the first hill but with a bit of stopping and looking at the map I eventually made my way over to the first climb. There were a fair few tough climbs during this cycle so that's good training for Kenmare. I was well wrecked come the end of it. I had to cut the last part of the loop short or I knew I'ld never be back before 9:30. Ended up getting in the door at 9:10 and threw a few km of a run in just to get the feeling - no issues. I took the water bottle off my MTB so I had two bottles on the bike - I found it quite akward to take the bottle out of the back cage which was mounted on the upright. I had 4:1 High 5 in one and a nuun tab in the other. I also took an energy bar, a banana and a gel during it. No issues, but I will just put water in one bottle and a nuun in the other for Kenamre as I have enough in the bars and the gels.

So 83km, av26.3kph!, mx71.2kph!!, HR av149(67%), mx178(86%). Then a 2.5km run in 9:50, 3:56/km (6:20/ml), HR 160av(74%), 168mx(79%).

Sun 29 Aug 19:50
    LSR? 24.3km

This run went very well. I was going at a good pace without over exerting myself so I kept with it. Started to tire slightly towards the end but that's to be expected after a toughish week and the longest run for me in I don't know how many months (probably sometime around DCM09 - must check the diary later). Better still the whole run was done with no water or gels, and I didn't feel the need for them during it.

24.3km in 1:46:50, 4:24/km (7:04/ml), HR 160av(74%), 171mx(81%).
    Happy with the average HR figure and looking at the numbers I went through the 1/2 marathon at 92:36. Due to how well I felt I reckon theres a good marathon time there with the correct training. Anyway, thats for another day!

Week Totals:
    Swim: 8100m (3200, 2700, 2200)
    Bike: 159.4km (47, 29.4, 83)
    Run: 63.5km (17.1, 15.4, 4.2brick, 2.5brick, 24.3)

Advertisement