Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Macanri wrote: »
    Wed 25 Aug 19:45
    Run 15.4km

I had written ~20km in the plan for today, but half way through I was thinking that the run milage for the week was going to be considerably higher than the preceeding weeks and not wanting to tempt an injury I decided to do 15.4km. That's the great thing about the loop I run - I can turn off at any stage to make the run anything from ~4km to ~20km or more! My body was probably telling me about the hill repeats from the preceeding night.

Done in 1:13:25, 4:46/km (7:40/ml), HR 152av(~69%), 160mx(~74%)

Thurs 26 Aug 06:30
    10th Coached Swim Session
    2200 NAC LC

After the warm up we had to do an 800m TT to se how we are progressing. I had thought it was going to be a 1500m TT, I wasn't complaining.

WU 50FS, 50bkst, 2 x 50 side kicks alt every 3 strokes
    800m TT in 13:20 (PB, 1:40/100m)
    100FS,
    3 x 100 (1:50, 48, 44) 20sec RT
    400 FS easy
    3 x 100 (1:48, 50, 45) 20sec RT.
    CD 100FS

Delighted with the TT. I went out quick and tried to hold it for the 800 and it worked. There was a breast stroker in the lane with me when I was doing the TT so I had to swim around him every second length too!

Thurs 21:30
    Bike 29.4km/Run 4.2km Brick

The little lad had slept during the day and didn't settle down to sleep til after 9, so I ended up going out in the dark for this one.
    2 x Howth Head (via graveyard then via church) 29.4km, av29.5kph, mx59.2kph, HR 149(67%)av, 178(86%)mx. Then off the bike and fairly sharpish out the door for a moonlit brick, run 4.2km in 16:18, 3:53/km (6:15/ml), HR167(78%)av, 174mx(83%).

Fri 27 Aug
    Thank God for Rest Days

Sat 28 Aug 05:45
    Bike 83km Wicklow Enniskerry Area

Thanks to nomadic I had a route to work to without any research needed. I tried to remember the route but unfortunately took a few wrong turns getting to the first hill but with a bit of stopping and looking at the map I eventually made my way over to the first climb. There were a fair few tough climbs during this cycle so that's good training for Kenmare. I was well wrecked come the end of it. I had to cut the last part of the loop short or I knew I'ld never be back before 9:30. Ended up getting in the door at 9:10 and threw a few km of a run in just to get the feeling - no issues. I took the water bottle off my MTB so I had two bottles on the bike - I found it quite akward to take the bottle out of the back cage which was mounted on the upright. I had 4:1 High 5 in one and a nuun tab in the other. I also took an energy bar, a banana and a gel during it. No issues, but I will just put water in one bottle and a nuun in the other for Kenamre as I have enough in the bars and the gels.

So 83km, av26.3kph!, mx71.2kph!!, HR av149(67%), mx178(86%). Then a 2.5km run in 9:50, 3:56/km (6:20/ml), HR 160av(74%), 168mx(79%).

Sun 29 Aug 19:50
    LSR? 24.3km

This run went very well. I was going at a good pace without over exerting myself so I kept with it. Started to tire slightly towards the end but that's to be expected after a toughish week and the longest run for me in I don't know how many months (probably sometime around DCM09 - must check the diary later). Better still the whole run was done with no water or gels, and I didn't feel the need for them during it.

24.3km in 1:46:50, 4:24/km (7:04/ml), HR 160av(74%), 171mx(81%).
    Happy with the average HR figure and looking at the numbers I went through the 1/2 marathon at 92:36. Due to how well I felt I reckon theres a good marathon time there with the correct training. Anyway, thats for another day!

nice bit of training and many congrats on the swim p.b - nice to see progress from your point of view Id imagine. You picked the right day for a spin in wicklow. I was there on sunday morning and it felt more like november.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Wow that's a great improvement in your swimming. Savage time for the TT. I think Bjorn will be hearing from me fairly soon.
    Thats a great week of training.

I think I might go for an OW dip on Friday evening if you've any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice PB there. Well done with that. Nice to see the "return on investment" :cool:

Thanks also for the PM. Been swamped since with work so didn't get a chance to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

interested wrote: »
    nice bit of training and many congrats on the swim p.b - nice to see progress from your point of view Id imagine. You picked the right day for a spin in wicklow. I was there on sunday morning and it felt more like november.

Cheers interested. Yea, as I said I started out fast and just held on for dear life. It shows that I don't push myself enough during the training sessions in the pool though! Yea the spin on Sat morning was nice. It was an early start so I felt the cold first but it didn't take long to warm up. The sun was out early though and some of the views were class. The last climb was up into the clouds where the mist was hanging around and the sheep were looking at me strangely .. more like the lost cyclist, rather than the lost sheep!
    nomadic wrote: »
    Wow that's a great improvement in your swimming. Savage time for the TT. I think Bjorn will be hearing from me fairly soon.
    Thats a great week of training.

I think I might go for an OW dip on Friday evening if you've any interest.

Yea would be on for an OW swim for sure. Might do a short run after it.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice PB there. Well done with that. Nice to see the "return on investment" :cool:

Thanks also for the PM. Been swamped since with work so didn't get a chance to reply.
    No worries re the reply.
    Yea, a nice return on the investment. As I wrote when I decided to do another set of sessions with Bjorn, it costs me €8 for a morning swim, so for the extra 2 yo yos I get a good session in a group. And push myself a little harder than I do when in the pool on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Jaysus Mac I'm delighted to see your terrific form. It is a credit to you and all the hard work you've been putting in. It's mad to see the how much you have improved, some may think that there must be a short cut to success but those of us in the know.....well we know the truth :) well done and keep it up.

• Advertisement

Mon 30 Aug 06:30
    Swim LC 2500m

WU 2 x 100
    500 in 10:08
    10 x 100 off 2:15 (1:54, 59 55 55 55 55 57 55 58 55)
    500in 10:20
    3 x 100 CD

Mon 19:45
    Bike 65km

2 times over Howth Head, once via the church then once via the graveyard the back down the black path and up the Malahide road and looped around by Santry, Malahide and Portmarnock. The muscles were tired and I could feel the calf straining on the achilles and the hamstrings straining on the ITB. Need to watch that!
    av30.9kph, mx58.9kph, HR 151av(68%), 227mx??+100%

As an aside, The spin over around Wicklow last Sat had a few steep decents with hairpin bends in it so it was good to those in training for Kenmare which I believe has a few steep hairpin decents. Need to make sure the brakes are A1!

Tues 31 Aug 17:20
    Run 15.4km

This had been down as an 18km tempo sort of run, but the legs were not having that, so that was it. It was a tough run and compaing the exact same run for HR and pace from last Wed shows that:
    Wed 25th: 1:13:25, 4:46/km (7:40/ml), HR 152av(~69%), 160mx(~74%)

Today: 1:11:30, 4:39/km (7:28/ml), HR 159av(74%), 166mx(78%), it was warmer to day though, and I had less sleep last night.

Month of August Totals:
    Swim 29,200m
    Bike 569.4km
    Run 169.8km

Wed 01 Sept 06:40
    Swim LC 2200

WU 100
    500 in 9:53
    5 x 200 of 4:15 (3:54 53 51 55 53)
    500 in 10:16
    CD 100
    Nothing new here.

21:00 Brick Bike 39km/Run 4.2km

3 x hills of Howth, graveyard side, church side then graveyard side and around by Malahide and home. av29.1kph, mx61.4kph, HR 152av(69%) 179mx(86%). The quads were very tired from all these hill sessions on the bike. Decided since Thurs was due to be a rest day that I would do short brick. Run 4.2km in 17:37, 4:12/km (6:45/ml), HR 156av(71%) 165mx(77%).

Thurs 02 Sept Rest

Fri 03 Sept OW Swim 1800m and
    Run 9.2km

Met up with nomadic who was swimming well (ie quicker than me:D). There was a bit of a chop - more caused by a wee wind swell blowing the wind waves towards the shore. So we headed towards the shore first and it went by fairly quick. Then we turned around before we got caught up in some fising line and headed out to see as far as the statue. We had said we'ld stop at the changing hut and regroup. I found it very tough swimming against these and was glad to hear nomadic had found it tough too - had he said it was easy or OK I was heading home!!:p. So we continued towards the statue and turned then for home.

We headed for a nice easy 9.2km run in about 45mins (forgot to stop the watch - to busy talking), 4:53/km (7:52/ml), HR 150av(67%) 161mx(75%).

Sat 04 Sept 07:30
    Bike 59km

Meant to take it handy but pushed it a bit more than I should have around a flat enough route, no Howth today! av32.2kph, mx47.7kph, HR 142av(62%) 178mx(86%).

Sun 05 Sept Rest

Plan for the rest of the week:
    Mon short swim, shortish bike
    Tues rest
    Wed run
    Thurs and Fri rest

Weekly Totals
    Swim 6500m - 2500, 2200, 1800OW
    Bike 163km - 65, 39, 59
    Run 24.6km - 15.4, 9.2km

Mon 06 Sept 14:30
    Bike 42.7km

Headed out towards Ballyheige, Causeway, Tralee Rd to Ardfert and back to Banna. Some good road surfaces, some not so good, some slight uphills but more down.
    av31.9kph, mx51.8kph, HR 145av(64%) 175mx(83%). The bike legs are still tired, no more bikes planned until the big day!

20:00 Swim 1900m
    20m pool

WU 2 x 100m
    1520 straight in 29:20 (1:56/100m)
    CD 2 x 100

The 1500 was steady enough and not too much of an effort. I am praying that the OW conditions on Sat will be as calm as the 20m pool!! Part way through the 1500 a woman started breaststroke in the lane beside me. She was going well and I was barely swimming faster than her. Some pace for a breast stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

All the best for saturday, your well prepared so enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck this weekend, while we seem to be in an eternal battle for swim distance your swimming speed is far faster, 13.20 for 800m is great swimming. A testament to Bjorn and some determination from yourself.

I will have to look at some coached sessions next year, while my swim stamina is good i am too one paced.

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Good luck this weekend, while we seem to be in an eternal battle for swim distance your swimming speed is far faster, 13.20 for 800m is great swimming. A testament to Bjorn and some determination from yourself.

I will have to look at some coached sessions next year, while my swim stamina is good i am too one paced.

:DYea CW, all I seem to be doing on the swim table is cutting and pasting my name in and around your name! Good swimming dude.

They are not really a coached session per se. Basically we show up, Bjorn tells us what to do and we do it. Not knocking it - I have found them really good.

Well done in Lough Key - it sounds like it was very scenic. I was there a few times with the scouts when I was younger and had great times there.

All the best this weekend. You're in flying form. Enjoy it. Last race of the season I assume? What's the pan for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck Mac on Saturday, I really hope it goes to plan for you. Hard to believe the season is almost over! So give it everything you got dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Enjoy your break and enjoy the race, dont forget a nice long race report:)

Thanks for the good wishes lads, much appreciated. Re the race report - well I don't think I've written a short one yet! One things for sure - it won't be as long as the race!!!

Wed 8.9.10 :)
    Run 11.5km

A nice slightly more than easy paced run around a loop near Banna. Threw in 4 x 45 sec sprints in for good measure. The HR for the first peaked at 180, then 182 and 180, my aim for the last was to push harder and get the HR above the 182. Last one peaked at 183. :)

O/A 11.5km in 52:32, 4:34/km (7:21/ml), HR 155av(71%) 183mx(89%).

Mrs M is just back from 'Pirate Petes' with the two little sailors! Heading to the beach after the dinner to make the most of the good weather when we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good luck with the race...really need to sign up for this next year!

So here is my nice long race report (to keep kb3 happy :))

I wrote it in 'Word' before the results came out and have just edited it so hopefully it's not disjointed. Grab a cup of coffee or something:

The Macanri family arrived in to Kenmare for registration on Fri evening, having left Dingle Oceanworld Aquarium where the kids were impressed with the touch pool, the sharks and the big turtle, but seemed even more impressed with the ultra violet light turning their whites luminous. At registration I noted that they had changed the swim route and had a look at the new route seen as I wasn’t able to stick around for the race briefing at 9. The goody bag was pretty good. Instead of the normal t-shirt we got a CTC Lost Sheep fleece, and also a couple of water bottles, a zym tab, Turkish delight, some Kenotic recovery drink and a pretty cool head sweat band with a strip that diverts the sweat from your forehead to the edges of your face to avoid sweat in the eyes. Will try it out on a training run. And also a nice silicone “The Lost Sheep Triathlon” swim hat – which I will wear with pride now - especially after that swim! After losing the 2 year old for a split second (only to find him in the ladies toilet) we headed back for Banna, and the kids were asleep by the time we got there. Mrs M was actually interested in the distances of the swim, bike and run I was going to be doing in the morning, for once – maybe she’s hinting that I should do an IM. :cool:. I don’t think so!

Race Day:

I woke at 4:15 for the porridge. No probs eating porridge at any hour. Had some honey, strawberries, and grapes in it, followed by two slices of brown toast and a strong coffee. On the road for 4:50ish and rolled into Kenmare about 6, dizzy from the twists and turns encountered on the road from Killarney to Kenmare. I parked up and put the wheel on the bike and pumped them with the aid of a head torch from the lad in the car next to me. Down to transition and set it up in the dark. Met Albert (one of the group from Bjorn’s swim sessions). I didn’t see him anywhere on the course so not sure where he finished. I now see from the results that he DNF. He went through T1 but has no time for the bike. I have no number for him so I hope that he is ok and nothing serious happened.
    When I had transition set up I rang interested and met up with him to say hello and have a quick chat. I met him again soon after the finish and we had a good chat while waiting for the most painful massage ever!

Swim:

Back to the car to get changed and was tight for time so ended up jogging the 1km to the swim start. Took of the trainers and left them on a wall to collect later as I had forgotten the plastic bag supplied to put them in. I met another lad from the NAC who had been training for IM Nice earlier in the year. I was in the water and swimming the 200 odd metres to the swim start before I knew it. The surface condition was good with very little chop. I met interested in the water just before the start (so knew I was in the wrong place), and didn’t meet him again for a good few hours! The swim started very soon after that and we were off. I was swimming and sighting well and was happy with the way things were going. The revised swim course started at the pier and went directly to a bouy (positioned to avoid rocks) then on under the bridge, and away for a good distance towards the 2nd bouy, 90 deg turn and onto bouy no 3 about 300m away, then 90 deg again and onto bouy no 4 about 450m away, at which was another 90deg turn and then a short swim to the exit. Now, when I arrived at bouy no 1, I honestly thought that a boat had hooked onto it and was dragging it towards the bridge. The flow of the water past it meant that it was not sitting vertically, but was leaning over as it was pushed by the flow. I soon realised that it was actually stationery and the flow was very strong. This flow made the swim to the bridge very laborious (I reckon it took me about 15 or 20 mins to swim the 2 or 300m from this buoy to the bridge). The reason for the strong flow was that the bridge acts as a kind of bottle neck for the water in the harbour/sound and once the water starts moving with the tide it starts to flow. So it was heading for the sea as we were heading against it for the sound beyond. (I was speaking to some organisers after it and they said it was a bit of a disaster as the tide had turned before the start. She was saying that as they were on the bridge looking down it was as if most (not all) of the swimmers were in a big endless pool!) Eventually I got under the bridge and into the sound and noticed then the cold river water mixing with the warmer sea water. There were sections where I was swimming through large enough patches of seaweed and sticks, but I found it nice to be swimming in the fresh water and could even smell the woodiness of it! It was still a struggle to get to the 2nd bouy, but not even a fraction as difficult as the bridge section. After turning the 2nd buoy, from then on it was plain sailing and I was motoring along - apart from getting a slight cramp in my left calf which went after a while and then got a cramp in the right calf which was a little more difficult to shift. I got a few small drafts now and again, but nothing major - I seem to veer off subconsciously to avoid the person I’m drafting off! Now I knew my predicted 35 or 40 min swim was out the window, but I couldn’t believe it when I clambered up onto the bank and staggered past the clock and it read 1:00:xx!!! WTF, WTF, WTF.
    After the race someone told me of a person who was swimming under the bridge section for 45mins and was getting nowhere. He was removed from the water! What a bummer. Looking at the results there are about 20 odd people out of the 300 entrants DNF the swim section!
    Interested had a good swim, surprisingly enough :), but swam into those rocks and cut his foot, yet despite this he was still out of the water in 2nd position after some elite chap called Brian Keane;). Great to meet you interested.

Swim time: 01:01:00 (3:13/100m) F’ck, when it’s put like that it looks bad! Pos: 128th

T1: 03:12, 165th. Well before I got the results and the transition time I had thought that it went OK. I put on socks and then put the shoes directly on my feet as a result as I figured it would be a struggle to place the feet in on the bike. I was considering putting on a long sleeve cycling top but took it off when I had it half on. So race belt on, lid on, sunnies on, put a banana down the top of the trisuit, and away. I probably should have done this a bit quicker.

Bike:
    I started out fairly good on the bike and passed a handful in the first 500m or so. The start was a small climb and I spun up it. I had a good bike overall, and really felt the benefit of the hill repeats that I had done over Howth Head the previous weeks. I passed most people on the bike when I was climbing both the Healy and the Caha Pass. There was not much of a wind in general except for the last 15 km or so back towards Kenmare. I was glad of my decision to leave the extra top back in transition as the sun was shining for most of the morning, except for an odd small rain shower which was more than welcome. I have had a nice bit of trisuit tan as a result. I was a bit apprehensive of the bike route over the days before the race, but this turned out to be a little unfounded in the end. The descents were hair-raising, misjudging them even once and you were going to be heading for the finish in the back of an ambulance, for sure. (I wrote this before the results came out – I hope Albert is ok). The scenery on sections was absolutely breathtaking, only I was already out of breath! There were a few draft marshals on motorbikes but there could have been another few. During the bike my left hamstring threatened that it was going to cramp and I eased up a bit. I was worried that it would continue and that it would come back on the run. It didn’t. I took a gel after 5km or so and then an energy bar a few k before the Healy pass. Then had a banana around 40k, some of which came back up the same way. Then another gel at the start of the Caha pass. Half an energy bar around the 65km mark. I had planned to use one bottle with just water, and one of water with nuun. But I decided to go with nuun in both, the benefit of this was that when the first bottle was empty I could switch it with the other and leave it easier to access rather than reaching back for the bottle in the cage on the upright, which I found very awkward in training. At the water station I managed to unscrew the lid from the empty bottle and fill it on the go, which gave me the reassurance that I had enough water for the rest of the bike. I could feel the left Achilles pulling a bit on the bike and was slightly weary of this also, but the run didn’t cause it any bother thankfully.

Bike Split: 02:42:08, av30.7kph, mx70.8kph, Pos 55th.

T2: 01:52, 133th. Again thought it went OK. I was a bit surprised to see so few bikes on the rack beside me. I had the runners in a bag to keep them dry and I changed into a dry pair of socks. Took of the lid and shades and stuck a gel down the top of the trisuit, grabbed a small bottle of water and away I went.

Run:
    Straight away I was going well – the running legs were there, they were tired but they were there. But the run course had a lot of ups and downs, and these hills caused a pain in my quads which I have never got on a run before, (except maybe DCM – but that was more just pure cramp). After about 2k I saw a bloke up ahead on his return, he was lamping it and I called out “well done”. When he had passed I realised it was Brian Keane. Nice to say that I have raced against with an elite. The run was tough, but I just kept the legs moving and running with as good a form as I could. As usual the marshals were very encouraging. I expected to meet Albert on his return run at some point as I figured that he would have been off the bike before me, but as I said above he ended up with a DNF unfortunately. Around the 9 or 10k marker I saw interested on his return leg and wondered would I catch up with him before the finish. Eventually I got to the turnaround and rewarded myself with the gel just before the water station. I passed loads on the run, only 2 people passed me, at about 17 or 18km – a bloke and a girl. The bloke was gone before long, but I tried to up the pace to stay with the woman. I kept her within about 20m or so for a km or so, but she put more distance between us on the hills - she was going up them like they weren’t there. She continued to extend the distance until she was out of my view. Somewhere around 18k a girl in a group of 3 or 4 spectators encouraged me and said I was looking fresh - my response - "F'ck sakes - Fresh!" It got a laugh out of them as expected. There was a good crowd at the end cheering everyone home. The finish line appeared unexpectedly around the bend with about 50m to go. So I did a sprint finish against myself (again). The extra effort spent chasing the woman meant I had very little for a sprint finish. I was happy enough to see the clock reading 5:22:xx.

Run splits: 01:34:47, (1st half 47:50, 2nd half 46:58 – negative split, :)) 4:29.5min/km (7:14/ml), 35th.

Overall Result: 05:22:59, 49th O/A, 12th AG.

This was a well run event by Cork Tri Club. There was plenty of fruit, water, gatorade and flap jacks at the finish. And also a massage for whoever was brave enough to go for one. I went for one and OMG the pain was on the brink of unbearable. I was grimacing and gritting my teeth the whole way through it. The legs were well sore yesterday, not since DCM09 have they been that sore. While waiting for the massage I met Adrian - who I had the sprint finish in Athlone with and had met again in Carlingford.
    I don’t think CTC will let the swim problem happen again, well hopefully not.
    I was waiting for the results to see the splits. I don’t see why they should take so long, I know the company was doing another tri the following day, but I still think that they could have them up on the web a bit quicker. Others can so they surely can too, no?

Unfortunately, I was unable to head out for pints on the night as we were staying in Banna, but it was good to meet up and have the craic with both new and familiar faces before and after the race.

After having gone through the prolonged pain in the half ironman, I raise my hat to anyone who has done (or is contemplating doing) an Ironman, it is a savage achievement.
    I have said it before - but thanks to all you fellow Boardsies for the advice, comments and info which you have given me throughout the year, it is much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to reading the race reports of the Budapest Boardsies when they get posted. Maybe there still hungover!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats a great time Macanri, if the swim was normal you would have been well under 5 hours. 1.34 half marathon is great going, you must have a great half marathon time in you

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Macanri wrote: »
    I clambered up onto the bank and staggered past the clock and it read xx:xx:xx!!! WTF, WTF, WTF.

:)

Think pretty much everyones race report from the day will include that line ;) Congrats on a great bike and run split - the swim was an anomaly since Ive never done one that was as difficult - so for a first outing at HIM distance you'd an absolutely savage result.

Great to meet up with you and glad the holiday went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great stuff Mac, great going in every area and thats some half marathon time to finish off having done 3 and half hours + before hand.

PS I said long, not a bloody novel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 kruger73

Well done Mac Mick on a superb performance. I was watching you start your run and gave you a shout. You looked to have the spring in your step and I'm not surprised with your very fast half marathon. Fair play man, well done.
    I also saw you finish and gave you a shout and clap, couldnt come over as was minding kids.
    I thought the finish area was terrible, very little atmosphere and very anti-climactic for the finishers.
    REason for my DNF was a broken spoke and consequent blow out and shredded rear tyre on the way down after the twisties on the healy pass.
    Stayed upright, but was well pi*ssed off after "surviving" the swim and was motoring well on the bike.
    Have no doubt you'd have smoked me on the run. Fair play man. Well done again. You've had a fantastic first season and have a great base of training and knowledge to build on for next year.
    Albert.

kruger73 wrote: »
    Well done Mac Mick on a superb performance. I was watching you start your run and gave you a shout. You looked to have the spring in your step and I'm not surprised with your very fast half marathon. Fair play man, well done.
    I also saw you finish and gave you a shout and clap, couldnt come over as was minding kids.
    I thought the finish area was terrible, very little atmosphere and very anti-climactic for the finishers.
    REason for my DNF was a broken spoke and consequent blow out and shredded rear tyre on the way down after the twisties on the healy pass.
    Stayed upright, but was well pi*ssed off after "surviving" the swim and was motoring well on the bike.
    Have no doubt you'd have smoked me on the run. Fair play man. Well done again. You've had a fantastic first season and have a great base of training and knowledge to build on for next year.
    Albert.

Good man Albert, never knew you were a Boardsie!:D

Ah sh!te, sorry to hear of the bike troubles - so you won't be borrowing that bike again, eh. I'ld say you were rightly p!ssed off alright. I remember passing a few people in the frist few kms who were fixing punctures or attending to their bike, and then another one or two out in the middle of the route walking with their bike in hand, and thinking I would hate that - didn't realise one of these guys was you. Sure there'll be other days eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Sounds like the swim is one to tell the grandkids...

Fantastic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Well done, Macanri, a HIM is a serious achievement, I shudder when I think of the distances involved, let alone a full IM :eek::eek::eek:. That's some run time on the back of the swim and bike! Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice report, nice placing. Crazy swim. Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Are you sure of the bike and run times? :p
    Lightning quick
    That's some year you're after having Macanri, fair play

Well done at the weekend. Sounds like one hell of a swim. Fair play. Very impressive bike & run times.

You on easy street for a few weeks now or what's the plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

jeeze, well done. good run after that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fantastic report. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

The word textbook springs to mind when looking over your training and racing this year. Glad to see our odd Howth spin done you some good on the bike section too :)

Advertisement