Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

pgibbo wrote: »
    Well done at the weekend. Sounds like one hell of a swim. Fair play. Very impressive bike & run times.

You on easy street for a few weeks now or what's the plan?

I plan to keep up the training but reducing the no of sessions per week. I hope to do a few road races, 5k, 10k, and the Raheny races to see if I can set some new PBs on the running. Also considering doing a half marathon soon. I am having a bit of an anticlimax at the minute. I don't really know what my plans are!

You had a good day out in Loughrea too.
    christeb wrote: »
    The word textbook springs to mind when looking over your training and racing this year. Glad to see our odd Howth spin done you some good on the bike section too :)
    Cheers man, yea the spins over Howth stood to me for sure. I did a fair few hill repeats over the few weeks leading into the HIM. Give us a shout if you're going biking or running and I'll join you if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great result, excellent training and thoroughly comprehensive race report! I've been away from this thread for a while :( but see you've been busy in the meantime! Makes me want to try a triathlon.... kind of....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Mac and great report. The swim sounded crazy, fair play to you for sticking in there. Only for it a sub 5 was easily on he cards. Your run off the bike makes my fresh half mar (1hr33min) look silly now!

You put in some serious training this year dude so well done, now rest and eat well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Very well done, cracking stuff once again. Shame about the tough swim but that makes the bike and run times all the more impressive.

I smell a sub 3 in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Macrani thats a cracking run off the bike. You just got stronger and stronger. Well done on a great result. I've no doubt you could take a serious bite out of the full whack ;) Excellent season dude, you put some work in and more importantly really smart work and the results show. Chapeau!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Great stuff in Kenmare Macanri, that was a cracking run

Thanks lads.
    Killerz wrote: »
    Great result, excellent training and thoroughly comprehensive race report! I've been away from this thread for a while :( but see you've been busy in the meantime! Makes me want to try a triathlon.... kind of....
    I would highly recommend trying a tri. I decided to give them a go after DCM 09 and my knees were killing me from the high mileage. I think the swim is what stops most people from trying them. But once you get a set of lessons and spend time in the water then you will come on with the swimming no end and wonder what all the fuss was about! Give it a go, I'm sure you'ld love it too!
    Well done Mac and great report. The swim sounded crazy, fair play to you for sticking in there. Only for it a sub 5 was easily on he cards. Your run off the bike makes my fresh half mar (1hr33min) look silly now!

You put in some serious training this year dude so well done, now rest and eat well!
    Cheers El D, there is nothing silly about a 1:33 HM whatsoever. Anyway, I'ld can't recall you running a half this year, so if that's from last year I'ld say you'ld dip under 1:30 now.
    I seem to be doing nothing but eating since:o - and all sorts of crap too:(.
    nomadic wrote: »
    Very well done, cracking stuff once again. Shame about the tough swim but that makes the bike and run times all the more impressive.

I smell a sub 3 in the spring.
    Cheers nomadic, if you're doing any training over these parts give me a shout and I'll try and join you.
    Macrani thats a cracking run off the bike. You just got stronger and stronger. Well done on a great result. I've no doubt you could take a serious bite out of the full whack ;) Excellent season dude, you put some work in and more importantly really smart work and the results show. Chapeau!
    Thanks MCOS, I don't know how the work was smart! I just copied all you fast lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Just catching up on last weekend. Great endurance there lad.

26/11/09 "I hope to do a few beginner level triathlons next year" . I think you chalked that one down alright

Week Totals for WEnd 12.09.10
    Swim: 4600m - (4 x 200), 1900, 1900
    Bike: 125.7km - 42.7, 83
    Run: 33.6km - 11.5, 21.1, 1WU.

Mon 13 Sept
    Swim 750m

In the pool with the kids and got a few lengths done.
    It was a 21m pool so rounded down to 750m. 60m was done as breast stroke with my 2 yr old son on my back with his arms around my neck and he loved it. So when the 4yr old saw this she wanted a go. I did 40m with her. Great fun had.

I had done a few lengths during the previous week when in the pool with the kids. 800m in total.

Tues 14 Sept
    Rec Run 9.4km

Nice handy paced run around a usual route. Aim was to take it very handy. I was running handy and in the first km the HRM had jumped from 14o ish to 168, without any extra effort, so a bit of a blip there. It was fairly windy on the grass along the coast in Clontarf.
    9.4km in 48:14, 5:08/km (8:15/ml), HR 149av(67%), 168mx(79%).

I haven't done anything yesterday ir today. I have been preparing the suspended timber floor in the sitting room for insulating and laying a new floor. Have added work around a poorly installed fireplace hearth to sort out now before I go on with it. This is going to take some of my time for a bit I reckon. I havebeen eating like mad and feel lazy not training. Have to do something tomorrow. I miss the swimming!

I have had a head cold from Wed to Fri. What a great time to get it as I had very little real need for training this week. Felt alright yesterday so I decided to go for a run. Had thought about 17km but decided to cut this short fairly soon into the run. So did 13.4km with 3.3km of tempo which ended up being run into a very stiff wind along the Clontarf seafront. So the pace ain't that much quicker than the rest.

5.1km in 26:00, 5:06/km (8:12/ml), HR 153ish (69%)
    3.3km in 15:30, 4:42/km (7:33/ml), HR 173ish (82%)
    5km in 27:30, 5:30/km (8:51/ml), HR 153ish.
    OA 13.4km in 68:30, 5:07/km (8:14/ml), HR 158av(73%) 178mx(86%).

Been tipping away at the DIY on the floor. A bit done - alot more to do. Still need to decide what type of timber we're going to go for. Welcome to my DIY log:)

Week Totals:
    Swim 750m
    Bike 0km
    Run 22.8km - 9.4, 13.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dont go with Asian Walnut anyways, mrs c has my head fried with her high heels and disregard for soft wood when she has a few drinks down. The oak in the other room is proving much more resistant to her heels though

Sound, Mrs M likes the colour of the walnuts, but the Oak is also nice and the oak is also half the price. Hmmmm.

On the DIY floor fornt, I bought a Canadian walnut this morning going cheap(ish) as it was the last of a batch. Hope I worked out the area right! I brought two pieces home for Mrs M to have alook at. She was hmmming and hawing about the colour. Eye roll.

On the training front I have been taking it nice and easy - as in I hadn't done anything since last running on Sat last. I decided to head to the pool on Wed morning but when the alarm went I hit the off button and that was that. So I headed to the NAC this morning for 6. Bjorn has started another set of sessions beginning this morning so on a whim I decided to join for another set. I had to head at 7 to buy the floor so didn't get to finish the set.

Thurs 23rd Sept 'to Arthur' 06:10
    Swim 1600m NAC

Before 6:30 on my own I did:
    100 WU
    500 in 10:30
    400 in 9:30 :(

Then with Bjorns group it was all kicks:
    2 x (50 FS, 50 BkSt, 50 side kick)
    2 x (50 side kick LHS, 50 kick RHS)
    2 x 50 side kick alt every 5 kicks

Dude you mentioned a few posts back about doing some Raheny races, just wondering which one you were refering to? I know of the Raheny 5miler in Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

hope you dont mind me jumping in here mac, El_D there are loads of races from late oct run by raheny from a mile to 3 miles, usually one a week but with a gap for xmas. Do a search on the events forum, christeb usually posts them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Dude you mentioned a few posts back about doing some Raheny races, just wondering which one you were refering to? I know of the Raheny 5miler in Jan/Feb.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    hope you dont mind me jumping in here mac, El_D there are loads of races from late oct run by raheny from a mile to 3 miles, usually one a week but with a gap for xmas. Do a search on the events forum, christeb usually posts them up.

You rang?! The Winter league should be starting up in October, as BK says a series of 1-3 miles on Weds (I think) nights over the winter. Good to keep the legs ticking over. I'll post them up in events when I find out more

You rang?! The Winter league should be starting up in October, as BK says a series of 1-3 miles on Weds (I think) nights over the winter. Good to keep the legs ticking over. I'll post them up in events when I find out more
    bloody hell that was fast i only put the bat sign up a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Macanri wrote: »
    On the DIY floor fornt, I bought a Canadian walnut this morning going cheap(ish) as it was the last of a batch.

Lay the two slabs on the floor and let Mrs M don the stillettos and walk up and down them to check for pockmarks. She may think you are nuts but she will secretly admire your due diligence.

Thanks dude's that's great! It may clash with my turboing.....although it would make for great winter brick sessions ;)

No bother whatsoever. It's all good.
    Yea was Wed nights last year. They are a great little work out. A good speed session and can be easier than doing spped work on your own.
    bloody hell that was fast i only put the bat sign up a few minutes ago
    LOL, I was just thinking - I didn't see the bat sign as I was busy at work yesterday, then you go and say it - mad!
    catweazle wrote: »
    Lay the two slabs on the floor and let Mrs M don the stillettos and walk up and down them to check for pockmarks. She may think you are nuts but she will secretly admire your due diligence.
    Cheers man, will do. ;) She may think I'm more nuts than she already does!
    Thanks dude's that's great! It may clash with my turboing.....although it would make for great winter brick sessions ;)
    May see you at one or two Raheny races so. They normally run about 7 or 8 of them. IIRC it was €5 a pop - or you could pay €20 for the whole lot. Great value.

• Advertisement

Sat 25 Sept 20:10
    Run 5.1km - 1000km milestone:)

I spent the afternoon ripping up the rest of the old timber from the floor. The dust has got into my chest and has made me wheezy, so the run was not as easy as it should have been.

As it was going to be a run where I crossed the 1000km mark for the year I decided to just run it whatever way I felt like. I turned the iPod to shuffle and was rocked around the loop to The Stone Roses, The Doors and Pink Floyd - just 5 songs all told. Well I ended up pushing it a bit and the HR was up as a result of that and the breathing difficulty.

OA 22:30 on the nose for 5.1km. 4:25/km (7:06/ml), HR 171/183.

Weekly Totals:
    Swim 1600
    Bike 0
    Run 5.1km

Mon 27 Sept 20:45
    Run 10.3km Steady

This is the way I wish I was feeling when I reached the 1000km target on Sat evening. As soon as I left the house I was bouncing down the road. I went a bit too quick for the first 2km and my HR was up mid 170s, so I reined it back and the HR eventually came back under 170. I feel that the fitness has left me slightly the last 2 weeks as I have been not doing any real training and I have been eating rings round me, both good and bad food. Anyway I felt the HR was higher than normal for the pace and effort. Maybe it's the remnants of the cold from last week.

10.3km in 48:10, 4:41/km (7:45/km), HR 166av(78%), 174mx(83%).

Thurs 30 Sept 06:30
    Swim Group Session NAC 1600

Had meant to go for a run either Tues or Wed night but was working late both nights so didn't bother.

This mornings swim was all drills:
    2 x (100 fist, 50 kick, 100 bkst, 50 kick),
    4 x 50 Single arm (alt each 50),
    4 x 50 glide,
    2 x (4 x 50FS - 3,5,7,9 breaths),
    4x50 lungbusters (only did 2 due to time),
    100 FS CD

The kicking is still desperate bad. I was happy enough that I could manage the breathing every 9th stroke on the last 50m of each. Bjorn reckoned that the secret to it is to relax, otherwise your tense and using oxygen. The lungbusters involved swimming 5 strokes FS then on every 5 diving and touching the pool floor. Aptly named!

20:15 13.4m Run with 4.9km Tempo

Nice enough run. Took it nice and handy for the before and after the tempo.
    3.5km in 18:08, 5:11/k (8:20/ml), HR 150av(67%)
    4.9km in 19:44, 4:02/km (6:29/ml), HR 181av(87%)
    5km in 26:20, 5:16/k (8:28/ml), HR 156av(72%)

O/A 13.4km in 1:04:12, 4:48/km (7:07/ml), HR 163av(76%), 184mx(89%).

Enjoyed this morning, thanks. reckon we d knock out 15m without a sweat with no late night and pints. wouldnt be in a hurry to do that again before a long run.

+1. The 4 pints of Guinness I had last night caused it to be a bit tougher than it should have been. Great run, cheers man.

Fri 01 Oct 06:30
    Swim 2400m NAC

WU 100,
    500 in 10:30,
    5 x 200 off 4:30 (4:04, 01, 05, 09, 3:54),
    600 in 13:25,
    CD 200

Sat 02 Oct 11:15
    A "Brownian" Run 20.5km

I texted kennyb3 when I read he was planning on running around Malahide. It was good to catch up and get a run in with company. It made a welcome change to the same old running route! The distance was probably a bit more than what I would have done had I gone out on my LSR on my own, seen as I am only building the running miles up after laying low the last few weeks. Tired legs today.
    We met along the sea front in Portmarnock and ran to Malahide and into the castle grounds, where we proceeded to run the grounds in as haphazard a fashion as I have ever ran - running from one field to another, turning here there and everywhere! I enjoyed it all the same. It would make for an interesting Garmin connect plot. The pace was easy/steady but felt a bit tougher than it should have, but the 4 pints of vitamin G and the recent lower milage didn't help.

20.5km in 1:38:07, 4:47/km (7:42/ml), HR 156av(71%) 179mx(86%).

Weekly Totals
    Swim 4000m (1600, 2400)
    Run 44.2km (10.3, 13.4, 20.5)

I spent a few hours drilling holes through the dwarf wall supporting the floor as there were no air holes. I had a dust mask on but yesterday evening and today I have been wheezy. It feels like a slight chest infection so will take it handy for the next few days to see if it clears up a bit, bummer.

haphazard is what i do best. I just thought id give you a tour of the countryside. I see the DIY log is going strong - seriously tho hope you re feeling better tomorrow.

haphazard is what i do best. I just thought id give you a tour of the countryside. I see the DIY log is going strong - seriously tho hope you re feeling better tomorrow.

Cheers man. I'm red faced now:o. It sounds worse when read!
    I enjoyed the run - really I did!

Macanri wrote: »
    Cheers man. I'm red faced now:o. It sounds worse when read!
    I enjoyed the run - really I did!
    Ah sure im only laughing dont worry.

• Advertisement

I didn't do any training to let the chest clear up a bit but dcided to go for the swim on Thurs as it wasn't too bad. Then went for a run on Thurs evening with the view of building back into a run on Sat or Sun. But the chest is still not right so need ot give it another few days:(
    Not overly concerned just yet, but every week now is a week closer to the HM in Waterford so hope to get back on the wagon soon. If I do I intend to run the RNLI 10k in Marley. So here's hoping.

Thurs 07 Oct 06:30
    3rd Sim Group Session NAC 1700m

Drills again but glad to say it was more arm work than leg work, which suits me fine.
    WU 2 (50FS, 50bkst, 50brst, 50choice),
    8x50 Stroke, side kick for 3sec, stroke, side kick for 3sec,etc,
    4x50 scull with Pbouy between legs
    4x50 doggy w pbouy,
    4x50 fist w pullbouy,
    4x50 FS technique (slow to fast),
    2x50 2 arm bkst

Thurs 20:15
    Run 10.3km

done in 45:43, 4:26/km (7:08/ml), HR 169av(80%) 177mx(85%)
    Nice run, was pushing it a bit but it felt good.

Advertisement