Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey Mac how's things? How is the chest and training for Waterford Half? Not going well for me to be honest, just finding it hard to get motivated, enjoying the down time and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey El D, sorry to hear the trainings not going the best. I know what you mean re the motivation. It felt like I came off the wagon there for a while. The chest was at me for a while, but it's a bit better the last day or two. Went for 10k run on Sat evening and was wheezing a bit , then seemed to be dosed with a runny nose on Sun, was much better yesterday and did a handy 8km. So this evening I'm going to get the Luas from work in towards town, and run from town about 10k to home.

I have been doing the swim with Bjorn once a week but plan to try and get swimming twice a week for a while.

Re the chest and doing the work on the floor, I was using a cheapo dust mask, but I got a better face mask and it's much better, not breathing in all the dust etc, so much better.

So only getting into it this week really. I have to draft a plan, but have a rough idea of what I'll do. 4 or 5 runs a week:
    1 tempo with PHMP runs building from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 to 8
    1 interval
    1 LSR
    and an odd recovery run.

Hoping to do the RNLI 10k in Marley in Nov and still have to sign up for the half, but don't think theres any mad rush in that it will stay open right up to the Thurs before it.
    The weeks are flying by though all the same.

Get out there man, and get running! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Hey Mac how's things? How is the chest and training for Waterford Half? Not going well for me to be honest, just finding it hard to get motivated, enjoying the down time and all that.
    I pretty much took a month off after budapest so I was raring when I got back into it last week. Maybe a week or 2 of nothing will help.

Looks like there's a few boards tri heads doing waterford. I signed up last night.

Yea I didn't exactly do nothing but it was close to it. So I wasn't too concerned not getting out the last while but I feel I have to get going now and start a bit of structured training for the half M.
    Yea plenty of Boards heads doing it - looking forward to putting a few more faces to names.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

We might all be at a similar standard too for a nice group jog and sprint at the end! I've been running at snail pace for the last couple of weeks so no idea what pace I can hold. Hopefully if I head off for a 1:30 I can hold onto it :o Guaranteed pb for me though, 1:53 is my only straight half time :D

• Advertisement

nomadic wrote: »
    I pretty much took a month off after budapest so I was raring when I got back into it last week. Maybe a week or 2 of nothing will help.

Looks like there's a few boards tri heads doing waterford. I signed up last night.

I did nothing last week except a kick around after school with the other teachers on the Thurs, was planning on a return to some form of training this week but after reading this post I've decided to do nothing this week too! So I should be raring to go for the final 8 weeks of the year and a good shot at sub 90min in Waterford.

PS great to see so many boardies going!

We might all be at a similar standard too for a nice group jog and sprint at the end! I've been running at snail pace for the last couple of weeks so no idea what pace I can hold. Hopefully if I head off for a 1:30 I can hold onto it :o Guaranteed pb for me though, 1:53 is my only straight half time :D
    I did nothing last week except a kick around after school with the other teachers on the Thurs, was planning on a return to some form of training this week but after reading this post I've decided to do nothing this week too! So I should be raring to go for the final 8 weeks of the year and a good shot at sub 90min in Waterford.

PS great to see so many boardies going!

Defo! It's great to see plenty of heads from here going. Re the nice group jog and sprint at the end - thats just mad - I was thinking along very similar lines on the run home this evening. I was thinking about the whole lot of us pacing each other til about 4 or 5 km out then someone making a break for it and others trying to stick with the breaker, and wondering when I'ld make my move and how the hell I'ld keep in front!!! LOL
    It'll be some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I'm hoping for sub 1.30 aswell. I think you'll be a bit quicker than that though Macanri.

nomadic wrote: »
    I'm hoping for sub 1.30 aswell. I think you'll be a bit quicker than that though Macanri.

No problem to you. I'm sure you will get good training in for it. In relation to my own time I will have to see how the training goes between now and then, but if it goes well I'ld be hoping to get as close to 1:25 as possible.

All last week consisted of was 1 swim, and 1 run

Thurs 14 Oct 06:30
    Swim LC 4th Group Session 2000m

2 (50FS, 50bkst, 50FS, 50brst),
    700 FS
    Pullbouy: 5 x (50cthup, 50fist, 50doggy), 50 Bk Scull,
    100 FS CD

The '50 Bk Scull' was interesting. It consisted of lying on your back with the pullbouy betweeen the legs and then putting your hands down by the side and sculling with your hands. So I was going nowhere fast and the legs kept sinking underneath me.

Sat 16th Oct 20:25
    Run 10.3km

The usual loop, in 52:48, 5:08/km, 8:15/ml. The HR way too high for that pace 167av(78%) 175mx(83%). Was still a bit wheezy but not too bad.

• Advertisement

Mon 18 Oct 20:00
    Easy Run 8.4km

Done in 42:17, 5:02/km (8:06/ml), HR 159av(74%) 171mx(81%)

Tues 19 Oct 17:30
    Pace Run 12.2km

A paced run - not sure what pace, but just ran quick. Looking at Hal H programmes, a tempo run is built up slowly to a max speed lasting for only a few minutes, so this was not a tempo. 52:49, 4:20/km (6:58/ml), HR 181av(87%) 188mx(92%). This run felt good, but HR was a bit too high I feel. I ran from one of the Luas stops on the far side of Heuston St to home, through town. I was concious of the fumes that I would envitably be breathing in - oh to be back in the sticks!

Wed 20 Oct 06:30
    Swim LC 2750m

WU 100m
    500 in 10:44
    5 x 100 off 2:15 (1:59, 56, 57, 56, 58)
    500 in 10:50
    5 x 100 off 2:15 (1:55 - 59)
    500 in 11:30
    CD 150m

Nothing to write home about, but just maintaining a bit of swim fitness.

Fri 22 Oct 06:30
    Swim LC 1800m

I missed the group swim session on Thurs morning, I didn't even hear the alarm! The result of too many late nights. So I decided to do a similar drill session to the previous week.
    Edited to insert the drills:
    2 (50FS,50bkst,50FS,50brst),
    Fins (4x50 side kick alt, 2x50 kick w float),
    2x50 kick w float,
    Pullbouy: 5x(50cthup, 50fist, 50doggy), 50 Pull,
    2x100 FS CD

Fri 20:00
    PHMP Run 10.3km total

I have adopted the Hal Higdon plan for the next feww weeks to get me to the half marathon in Waterford in pb shape. So I was dreading this session as I was basing the pace off a desired time of 85 mins (so PHMP of 4:02/km or 6:29/ml). It was only later I was reading one of Tergats posts on pacing and noticed that I should be running these of curent pace. Ok, I'll know better for this week. The plan was for WU, then 6.5km in about 26:15, then CD.

The rude awakening:
    Did 2km WU in 10:45 (5:23/km, 8:39/ml), then
    6.5km in 26:45 (4:07/km, 6:37/ml)
    CD 1.8km in 9:05 (5:03/km, 8:07/ml)

The HR for the whole thing was 183av(89%), 195mx(97%).
    The HR for most of the Paced run was ~192 (95%). I was feckin shagged at the end of it - no way would I have lasted another 2 or 3 km, never mind another 14.6km! So I have a lot of work to do between now and then.

Sun 24 Oct 20:00
    LSR 17.2km

The plan asked for 90mins.
    1:26:30, 5:02/km (8:06/ml), HR 159av(73%) 168mx(79%).
    Glad to have the HR back around normal.

Weekly Totals:
    Swim 4550m (2750, 1800)
    Run 48.1km (29.9ml) -(8.4, 12.2, 10.3, 17.2km)

Mon 25 Oct 20:00
    Recovery Run 8.4k

Plan asked for 3m rec run with strength.
    The strength included working on the floor all day Sat!
    Did a handy 8.4km in 44:41, 5:19/km (8:34/ml), HR 150av(67%) 158mx(72%). Glad to keep the av HR at that.

Tues involved donating 1 pint of Macanri blood! Felt faint after it and had to lie on the trolley for a few minutes, I was one of the last to donate so they wouldn't let me up even when I felt better as they didn't want to risk me keeling over and causing them a later night than necessary.

Had planned a swim this morning but they advised no exercise for 24hr.

Wed 27 Oct 20:00
    Raheny 2 mile Race.

The plan asked for 6 x 400 @ 5k pace, So doing the 2miles (8x400 back to back) was a good alternative.
    I had hoped to do what I could considering I had donated last night, so was hoping for under 12mins.
    I noticed that there were not many of the fast guys as they probably are recovering from the DCM. So I thought on my way to the course that I had a good chance of winning it! To win just once, eh. There were about 25 or 30 in total, 75% of those were women! There were a few strong looking runners, both male anf female, so I knew I would have my work cut out to finish in the top 3 or so.
    And away we went and I was leading it in the first straight until just before the turn on to the tarmac, when one of the other blokes passed me, he had great form and was a new face to these races. I held my own after that and came throught the first mile in 5:50, so I tried to hold that pace for the 2nd lap, but faded slightly and came in in 2nd place in 11:57. (My pb for this course is 11:15). So it was near but no cigar. The 1st lad came in in 11:17, I think! So happy with a good speed session.
    Did 2.7km WU and CD, and headed back to the club house for coffee and buscuits and a bit of a chat. One of the club runners is running about a year and ran 3:03 in DCM!
    Avg pace for the 2ml race was 5:59/ml (3:43/km), HR 194av(97%) and 100%max at 200bpm!

Plan for the next few days is Swim tomorrow morning, cycle home leaving the car in work, then run in the 17 or 18km on Fri morning and drive home.
    A short rec run on Sat evening and a paced run on Sun.

Well done Mac on the two miler! Tough race I'm sure but you did great to finish 2nd. I plan on doing 1/2 of these over the winter but I have to loose the 6kg I've put on since end of Sept. Was reading Kennyb's log too and his last entry made me realise that I need to get the finger out for a sub 90 min attempt in Waterford. You need to be running 4:15 km's, 6 months ago I would have been confident but right now.....:( still 6/7 weeks to put together some decent form and the motivation of wanting to end the year on a high should help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Macanri wrote: »
    ....cycle home leaving the car in work, then run in the 17 or 18km on Fri morning and drive home....

Now thats a novel way to get 2 sessions in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

saw your result on the Shamrocks site, nice running. I was doing a few intervals on the seafront myself, I'd say it was tough on the course with that wind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good man Mick, i thought about going down last week to try steal a win after i seen the first weeks results but couldnt make it. Unlucky, you ll prob run your man close next week when the chest infection is fully gone.

Well done Mac on the two miler! Tough race I'm sure but you did great to finish 2nd. I plan on doing 1/2 of these over the winter but I have to loose the 6kg I've put on since end of Sept. Was reading Kennyb's log too and his last entry made me realise that I need to get the finger out for a sub 90 min attempt in Waterford. You need to be running 4:15 km's, 6 months ago I would have been confident but right now.....:( still 6/7 weeks to put together some decent form and the motivation of wanting to end the year on a high should help!

Cheers El D. The next race is Wed week the 10th Nov - so none next Wed.
    Yea kennyb is flying it, fair play to him. There'll be plenty of heads to pace off on the day.
    As you say - you still have 6 or 7 weeks training before it so you have time - plus you have ran fast before, so with training you'll do so again.
    Now thats a novel way to get 2 sessions in :)
    Where there's a will there's a way:) Well done on the pacing, by the way. Enjoy what's left of your rest week.
    christeb wrote: »
    saw your result on the Shamrocks site, nice running. I was doing a few intervals on the seafront myself, I'd say it was tough on the course with that wind
    Cheers dude. Yea was tough in the wind but as I said all the fast runners were missing so I don't think I'll be getting a placing as easy as that again. Well done on the pacing too. Did that woman ever meet her camera man? :p
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good man Mick, i thought about going down last week to try steal a win after i seen the first weeks results but couldnt make it. Unlucky, you ll prob run your man close next week when the chest infection is fully gone.
    Didn't see the last weeks results, but thinking about it they were obviously tapering then.
    The wheezy chest is gone now thank God. Since I got that mask the dust ain't bothering me. This floor is taking a while though! Although I have started to do the hall now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Macanri wrote: »
    Did that woman ever meet her camera man? :p
    We'll be waiting a bit longer for the first ART Boardsie wedding !

christeb wrote: »
    We'll be waiting a bit longer for the first ART Boardsie wedding !

The second you mean---Hunnymonster & Zuppylurk!

Thurs 28 Oct 06:30
    Swim LC 6th Group Session 1500m

2 (50FS,50bkst streamlined,50pullbouy),
    8 x 50 Kick hands in front and stroke when need to breathe,
    4 x 50 Side kicks (3breaths and Alt)
    4 x 50 Back scull w PullB,
    4 x 50 PullB - count strokes (45, 46, 43, 43),
    2 x 100 FS CD

A good session but I thought we did more than this? The kick seems to be getting slightly better.

Thurs 18:10
    Bike 20.3km

Home from work so I could run in on Fri morning.
    Tried to keep the HR down but didn't manage it.
    28.6 kph av, HR 150av-67%, 178mx-86%.

Fri 29 Oct 06:00
    LSR 18.8km

Was a nice morning, warmed up fairly quickly so was glad I decidd to just wear the tech t-shirt on top. Similar to what MCOS wrote on 'the best things about running in winter' thread, I was running down the middle of the road from Raheny to the Coast Road, moving in when a car approached. It started to rain after I passed Heuston Station but I didn't mind at that stage.
    Time 1:33:00, 4:57/km (7:58/ml), HR 165av-77%, 173mx-82%

Sat 30 Oct 16:10
    Rec Run 10.3km

49:22, 4:48/km, 7:43/ml, HR 164av-77%, 172mx-82%.
    A bit too quick and the HR a bit too high - putting the higher HR down to having given blood earlier in the week.

Sun 31 Oct 11:45
    PHMP Run 13.4km total

Second one of these and the plan asks for another mile on last weeks distance, so the PMHP bit was 8km. I don't have a GPS watch so use km markers and time to get a feel for pace. When I worked it out when I got back I have discovered it was the exact same pace as last weeks PHMP run. The effort was slightly less (only slightly) and the HR was 184 av compared to 192av last week, so all good.

2km in 11:00, 5:30/km, 8:51/ml, HR ~158av-72%
    8km in 32:52, 4:07/km, 6:37/ml, HR ~184av-89%
    3.4km in 17:00, 5:00/km, 8:03/ml, HR ~ ?? (turned off the watch at end of pace section).

Weekly Totals
    Swim 1500m
    Bike 20.3km
    Run 59.5km (37mls) - 8.4km, 8.6, 18.8, 10.3, 13.4km

That's the most running miles since the last week in August, when I was training for the HIM in Kenmare. Heading to Drogheda shortly to bring the kids round trick or treating with their little cousin!

• Advertisement

Mon 01 Nov
    Rec Run 10.4km

Have been called to jury duty in the criminal court this week so I brought the running gear in a rucksac and ran from there to Raheny. Handy enough, the legs felt a little tired, but not too bad.
    52:37, 5:04/km, 8:08/ml, HR 152av-69%, 160mx-74%.

Seen as I had time in the evening I headed to Amphibian king to get gait analysis done. I got it done in Elverys when I started out last Jan but have meant to get out to just reconfirm what Elverys had determined. As diagnosed by Elverys I quite clearly pronate to the inside, moreso on my left foot. So the Asics duomax where properly prescribed. I tried on about 3 or 4 different shoes, 2 asics, 1 mizuno and 1 brooks. Got the Brooks for a change - Adrenaline GTS 11. I also tried on two racing flats which have a bit of support, Mizuno Wave Elexicer 5 and Brooks Racers ST4. I liked the Brooks again, but they didn't have my size. Will defo get a pair in the future.

Tues 02 Nov
    Run Intervals, 5 x 800m @10k pace
    Total 10.8km

The plan asked for 4 x 800m @ 10km, but did 5 x 800 for good measure.
    I reckoned 10km pace was around 4min/km, so that equated to 3:13/800m.
    2.6km jog up to the old dirt track in 13mins or so - 5:00/km HR 149av-67%.
    Then into the 800m - the 5 were done in 2:58, 56, 51, 52, 54. (av 2:54/800m). Did 1 lap rec jog between each. Avg HR for the 800s and rec jogs was 175 (84%) and 190mx-93%.
    2.6km jog home in about the same 13 mins.

The intervals felt good - I was trying but not overly pushing the pace. This is the first time doing the intervals at a certain pace, before I just went up and ran hard, then tried to maintain that for the rest. The equivalent 10km pace works out at 5:48/ml or 3:37/km. Don't think I could run a 10km in that time (36mins, so obviously a little fast on the intervals, though how and ever, it felt good.

Plan for tomorrow is another rec run home from the court.

I have spoken to Mrs M about the Waterford half - no probs, but we have organised a trip on the Santa train instead of presents between all the cousins. Don't know when it is, so please God it's not the same day, as there will be no getting out of it!

I have dropped a few hints around Barcelona in March, so here's hoping!

Good session mac, what you realistically looking to run in waterford? I know you said as close to 1.25 but how close to you reckon you can get. I wouldnt say you ll be a million miles away, you ve got some good speed, any chance of a lend of some of it? Have you a recent half time?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good session mac, what you realistically looking to run in waterford? I know you said as close to 1.25 but how close to you reckon you can get. I wouldnt say you ll be a million miles away, you ve got some good speed, any chance of a lend of some of it? Have you a recent half time?

Cheers kb, yeh was happy with that session, and the best part was I felt like I had recovered from it within a few hours!
    Too soon to say for sure how close I can get, I have only really started training for this in the last 3 weeks - 5 or 6 to go so I'll see in another 3 weeks how I'm fixed.
    I don't need to lend you any spped, you are building it nicely yourself!
    Never ran a half per se. Went through half way in DCM in 1:38 odd, and ran just sub 1:35 after the swim, bike warm up in Kenmare:)

I'm planning on doing the RNLI 10k in Marley park at the end of the month also.

Wed 03 Nov
    Rec Run 10.4km

Wore the new Brooks for this, felt good, no issues. Done in 53:09, 5:07/km (8:13/ml), HR 155av-71%, 163mx-76%.

Thurs 04 Nov 06:30
    7th Group Swim Session
    1800m LC

2 (100FS, 50scull with Pb, 100FS, 50back scull w Pb),
    12 x 50 single arm alt. each 50 - with fins,
    300 kicks w Kboard & fins,
    2 x 50 kick no fins w Kboard,
    2 (100FS, 50scull with Pb, 100FS, 50back scull w Pb),
    2 x 100 FSlegs, BKst arms, Head above water - CD

The 2 x 50 kicks without the fins were an absolute disaster - maybe the kicking isn't coming on as well as I tought it was!

Tempo Run
    10.4km

The plan called for a 45 min tempo. A Tempo being described as 'a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10km race pace - 10-20 mins easy running, build to 20-30 mins in the middle and then 5-10 mins easy at end - holding the peak speed only for a min or two.'

So I decided to do the first 12mins easyish (sub 155 HR), next 12mins sub 170HR, next 6mins sub 180HR and then run 3mins sub 190HR, then run from there easyish. It went to plan with the HR peaking at 187 during the 3 mins.

As I don't have a GPS watch which gives me paces etc. I don't know what the paces were for each stage. Total time was 49:11, 4:44/km (7:37/ml), HR 169av-74%, 187mx-87%.

I noticed a slight pain in my left achilles to start and then a niggle in the bone above the left ankle, so glad to be taking tomorrow as a rest day. I soaked the legs in a bath of epsom salts after the run.

Look after the achilles, sounds exactly like a pain i had before the my sport 10k in feb with the bone thing. it was a real dull ache. Mine passed so hopefully yours will.

Perhaps consider moving the intervals to grass, as they are what always brings my achilles problems on.

Cheers man, its more a niggle than a dull pain. But I'll just have to watch it in the morning - pace run 6 miles @ 6:30min/ml :O

Know any grass tracks? I like doing them on the old dirt track as it's an exact distance and can compare different training sessions!

Sat 06 Nov 16:00
    Pace Run - 13.4km total

This whole week I have done slightly more than what the plan has asked for - today was no different. The plan said 5mls PHMP run. I stepped up the pace distance from the last 2 weeks (4mls and 5mls) and did the 6mls (actually 10km).

did the 2km WU in 10:10 and set into the 10km at the predetermined marker. The target pace was about 4:10/km and I was hitting the first few km markers in or around that, then onto to the grass section along the sea front in Clontarf where the muddy grass didn't help traction. After that (around 7km in) I just kept running at a pace whch I felt I could hold for the HM dstance. Finished the 10km pace section in 41:55. Then after staying at near that pace for the next few hundred metres I remembered to slow down and jogged the rest home. Just in thedoor in time to help get the kids out of the bath and dried up and ready for their dinner. Mrs M had made boiled ham, cabbage and spuds with white sauce, delicious.

Soaked the old legs in an epsom salt bath after the dinner before getting the kids up to bed.

2km in 10:10, 5:05/km (8:11/ml), HR 155av71%
    10km in 41:55, 4:11.5/km (6:45/ml), HR 182ish av -87%
    1.4km in 6:22, 4:33/km (7:19/ml), HR 160ish av-74%
    OA 13.4km in 58:27, 4:22/km (7:01/ml), HR 177av-85%, 185mx-90%.

The council were placing a rake of big 1T sand bags along the seafront in Clontarf in expectation of the flood - hope they don't get the weather they're expecting! Tomorrows long run calls for a 1:45 duration as a 3/1 (so the firs 3/4 at easy pace and the last 1/4 at near PHMP.

Sun 07 Nov 11:10
    3/1 LSR 21.9km (13.6mls)

The plan was a 3/1 LSR of 1:45. The 3/1 being comfortable pace for the first 3/4, then picking it up to near race pace for the last 1/4.

I was concerned that my HR was quite high for the 'comfortable' bit at ~160ish on avg. And I only seemed to be shuffling along. Then picked up the pace and that didn't feel too bad.
    16.43km in 1:23:30, 5:05/km (8:11/ml), HR ~160av(74%)
    5.47km in 22:13, 4:04/km (6:32/ml), HR ~177av(85%)
    O/A 21.9km in 1:45:43, 4:50/km (7:47/ml), HR 165av-77%, 180mx-87%.

Week Totals
    Swim 1800m
    Run 77.3km (48.0mls) - 10.4, 10.8, 10.4, 10.4, 13.4, 21.9kms

A real milestone for me in that this is the most I have ever completed in 1 weeks running. The legs feel it though so the plan for next week will be a slight step back. Mon & Tues ~3ml easy, Wed 2ml race in Raheny, Thurs ~5ml easy, Fri 6 or 7ml at pace, Sat plan to actually lay the new floor boards in the sitting room (the never ending story!), Sun ~24km/15ml LSR. So about 68km or so.

From a tri point of view I know that I am focusing too much on the running, especially since it is my strongest discipline, and that the winter time should be used for building base in the three disciplines. But I want to give both the HM, and if I get to do it - the Barcelona marathon, my best shot! Will I be sorry come early tri season next year? - probably.

Mon 08 Nov 06:30
    Swim 2200m LC

Hit the pool as I got to bed reasonably early for a change.
    WU 100
    5 x 200 off 4:30, in on around 4:15
    5 x 100 off 2:15, in on 1:51, 53, 57, 56, 56.
    CD 100

19:30 Rec Run
    5.1km

Well wrapped up for this run. Done in 27:56, 5:29/km (8:49/ml), HR 158av-73%, 171mx-82%. The max HR was probably achieved on the hill up the Watermill Rd.

• Advertisement

I decided, seen as I am a small step back week this week and the fact that I had done a recovery run on Mon and was going to race the 2 miles on Wed that there wasn't much benefit in doing the 5.1km slow run on Tues, so I painted the ceiling in the sitting room in advance of putting down the wodden floor this Sat - I don't want paint splashes on my new floor.

Wed 10 Nov 20:00
    2ml Race Raheny Fit4Life

The fast lads were not around for this again last night as the club members are away in Portugal this week. So Colm (winner from 2 weeks ago) came along and there didn't look to be much other competition so it was looking like another 1st and 2nd.
    On the off I led and he sat in behind me there wasn't as much wind on this first straight as usual and I was tipping along, slightly faster than I should have but was managing well enough. He passed me half way through the second straight around the 3/4mile mark. I arrived at the mile mark at 5:36 or so. So was fairly confident that I would get in under my target of 11:30. I must have eased of the peddle too much because I ended up finishing in 11:32, So a split of 5:36 and 5:56, a positive of 20secs - not great over two miles. He came in first in 11:02, with me 2nd and the first lady home came in 3rd in13:xx.

Thurs 11 Nov 06:30
    8th Group Swim Session
    2300m LC

100WU,
    200 (FS, BkSt, BrSt, FS),
    5 x 300 (100FS, Single arm, Kick) all w fins,
    4 x 50 doggy,
    4 x 50 fists,
    100FS CD

Thurs 19:45
    Rec Run 5.1km

A wild and windy night, but dry so I'll take that.
    5.1km in 26:51, 5:16/km (8:28/ml), HR 159av-74%, 171mx-82%.

Advertisement