Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

catweazle wrote: »
    I am finding the lack of fins a killer on the legs for the kickboard exercises but all for the greater good please god. It takes me ages to get across without them!

Theres always the option of gluing your toes together and going through weeks of stretching your feet with heavy weights to create a more natural flipper if it gets too much for you CW ;) stretch out on your board ... and when you think you're stretching - stretch again ... get your body up ... kick should be nice and shallow, fast and from the hip - chin should be on or slightly under the water and try not to pause when slightly lifting your head to breath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZ5-oatDg8&feature=PlayList&p=E47BF1CDA361D4E4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=71

Ive been doing sets of 100's on 2 mins kick recently so ... I know first hand how sore and how hard it can be still ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

interested wrote: »
    Ive been doing sets of 100's on 2 mins kick recently so ... I know first hand how sore and how hard it can be still ;)

I do sets of 100's as well off 2 mins but its freestyle..................Its just not fair, oh how I wish I swam as a kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

...............Its just not fair, oh how I wish I swam as a kid!

+1
    I gave out to my Parents recently about this! So many sports you can take up in your 30s or later and reach a decent level. Swimming seems to be one of those that you just had to do as a kid. Although Tunney's statement last year that no adult learner could do a sub 70sec 100m still really grinds me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I swam a bit as a kid. Did the before school in the morning thing for a couple of years and all that lark. I stopped for 15 years and I'm terrible in the water now. So I wouldn't beat yourself/your parents up over it. You need to start young and keep it up.

I have two nieces over in the States - 9 year old little twin whippets both swimming 1.08's for 100 metres. The father likes his triathlons so he is hoping to start them on some junior ones this year, oh to swim like that at any age!

Although the training must be so difficult to keep up, so many people I know dropped out in their late teens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I think those that didnt swim when younger have a steeper learning curve / swim fitness curve sometimes .. but imho its down to the time (and quality) being put in. Balancing work/life/training isnt always easy for most - but if people relatively new to swimming are only swimming for 1 hour a week or similar then their rate of progress will be reflected.

Im pretty sure there are alot of very good masters swimmers that took to the sport later in life that would be capable of a sub 70 100m but then they're unlikely to be dividing their weekly training time amongst swim/bike and running.

Mac - many thanks for hosting this in your log ;)

"Although the training must be so difficult to keep up, so many people I know dropped out in their late teens"

Big problem for the sport in this country is that up until very recently there was zero flexibility when attempting to train and attend 3rd level education. I tried combining 20+ hours a week training for a couple of years of college here and it pretty much just destroyed me. I never quite managed to attain an ability to listen whilst sleeping at lectures. Full or even half scholariships in the US arent easy to come by and then they want returns on their investments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

interested wrote: »
    Mac - many thanks for hosting this in your log ;)

No worries at all. It's good to get a bit of discussion going on in here - ratherthan all numbers for a change.

All this talk of swimming 100s in 70 sec is making me very tired, I think I may go dream about doing 100s in 70, cause that's the only place I'll be doing them.

Thanks for the link to the flutter kicks, - My kicking is sooo bad - I must remember to not kick with a straight leg and "snap through the ends of the toes".

dare2be wrote: »
    Mac

I'm staying in the Catalonia Port hotel in the Ciutat Vella district of the city. Think its approx 1.5 mile to start/finish line. 2 nights stay cost me €194...

Cheers - My missus is not heading over so I am thinking of booking a Hostal (Spanish type B&B). ~ 50euro/night
    Some great running going on Mac, just posting in here to make it easier to follow your log.

Goodstuff, Will Elegant Sandbox. Any Drogheda head is very welcome around these parts. Sure it's my home town.
    It was a tainted swim victory for me last year as I had to bring deadlines and rules into play making me feel like someone from the Royal & Ancient, so you can hold the higher moral ground on that one.

Going with Interested's swim plans for this year so cutting back on my usual daily easy 1000-1200s and going for threeish quality sessions a week.

I am finding the lack of fins a killer on the legs for the kickboard exercises but all for the greater good please god. It takes me ages to get across without them!

Not at all, you were the victor fair and square. I laughed when I saw your post saying that it was too late for any posts after midnight. I didn't expect the rule to be so vigorously applied! You don't make up the rules - its that MCOS I blame - I never thought he was so strict:p.

I have looked at interested swim plans but have not got round to looking at them in detail and applying them - but I intend to. Actually, I'm going to print them off in work tomorrow.

And so back to the numbers.

Thurs 06 Jan PM
    Run 8.4km

The Plan has it a s arest day and then a 5 miler on Fri followed by an 8 Miler Sat and a 14 Miler Sun, giving 43miles for the week. But, due to the HM next Sat I have moved next Sundays 20 miler to this week, but want to get it done on Sat so that I have an extra day to play with next week. So the end of this week will be:
    Thurs 5 Mi - done
    Fri 8Mi w/ 8x100m
    Sat 20Mi
    Sun rest

So today was 8.4km (5.2m) Done in 39:33, 4:43/km, 7:35/ml, HR 161av-75%, 174mx-83%. I started too quick and kept going at that. Should have done it handier. The av HR is bang in Z3 nowhereland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just catching up here Mac. You're in flying fettle. Fair play to you. Sub 3 is a bit soft - try sub 2:50 :D

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Just catching up here Mac. You're in flying fettle. Fair play to you. Sub 3 is a bit soft - try sub 2:50 :D

Harde f'ckin har!:D Who do you think I am Abhainn or Krusty - no way José!

Fri 07 Jan PM
    Run 12.9km

The Plan was for "8Mi w/8x100m" and that I did.
    All in 1:04:11, 4:59/km, 8:01/ml, HR 154av-70%, 169mx-80%.

I bought a tube of 'Voltarol' earlier in the day as the achilles are at me a little, so hoping all remains ok.

Sat 08 Jan PM
    LSR 32.4km (20.1mls)

I adjusted the LSR in the plan this week to do the 20miler this week rather than next, as after the HM I will be doing the prescribed 17 miles which follows a "8 - 15k race" in the plan.

32.4km in 2:41:33, 5:00/km, 8:02/ml, HR 156av-71%, 167mx-79%.

There was a fair wind and it was on my back for the first 5km and although my HR was ~154, my pace was up as I bounced along in the wind. I was wondering would I pay for that later. I did. I found the last 5 or 8 km fairly tough going. I had a good breakfast but a very small lunch as I didn't want to feel bloated on the run. I didn't take any water during the run, but took one H5 isogel around the 14km mark. By the end I was starving, and downed a bunch of grapes, 2 mandrin oranges, a handful of brazil nuts and a couple of glasses of water as soon as I got in the door.

I did the last 20.7mile run (33.3km) IN 2:40:47 at 158avHR, and finished the last few km strong. The difference with todays run probably has a lot to do with working all week and not getting enough sleep during the week. I need to address that over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Solid long run.

Last weeks totals were:

Swim: 2500m
    Run: 78.5km (48.8mls) - 12.4, 12.4, 8.4, 12.9, 32.4km

Mon 10 Jan PM
    Run 17.8km

I said I would get the Mid week medium slow run out of the way early.
    Done in 1:29:01, Bang on 5:00/km, 8:05/ml, HR 153av-69%, 165mx-77%.

Tues 11 Jan PM
    Run 13.0km w/ 5 x 600m

Plan "8Mi w/ 5x600m".
    8.1ml in 1:00:58, 4:41/km, 7:32/ml, HR O/A 160av-74%, 183mx-89%.

The Hr for the easy parts was~155, and it was up on 179 - 183 on finishing each of the 600s.

In other news (not to make anyone sick or anything) I got a couple of grand back from Mr Taxman. :) Most of which will come of the mortgage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Excellent news dude, good to hear some good news!!

You are set up for a great race now on Sat man. All the work done and then some. Take it easy for the next few days and then let rip on Sat, really looking forward to your report. Good luck.

What time are you targeting for the Waterford Half?

Hey JB, Hoping to get close to 86mins - 4:05/km or 6:33/ml - written like that it looks more difficult. I was thinking more like sub 6:40/ml pace. That would be 87:20.

The weather is not looking favourable - high winds and rain. I'll give it a shot anyway.
    Are you doing it yourself?, what time if so?

Macanri wrote: »
    Hey JB, Hoping to get close to 86mins - 4:05/km or 6:33/ml - written like that it looks more difficult. I was thinking more like sub 6:40/ml pace. That would be 87:20.

The weather is not looking favourable - high winds and rain. I'll give it a shot anyway.
    Are you doing it yourself?, what time if so?

Yeah planning to anyway, i think my half pb is about a 1.41 so i would be happy to take a few minutes off something around the 1.37 mark and holding 7.25 pace would be a result for me.

Not at the lofty heights of sub 7 min miles just yet:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You have really put the work in for it Macrani, best of luck at the weekend. I'm sure you will go 86/87 at the very least or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Mr Mac - sand bagger supremo!!
    We saw this before your first Olympic distance last year and you went and smashed the 2:30 mark that day - remember?
    C'mon Macanri, you can say what you like on the log before the race, but you better be going out there with at least sub 85 mins in your head and on your wrist. If you haven't got a pace band print one out now, I've taken the initiative and attached a choice of 2 to this post for you ;)

Best of luck between now and then and on the day too

No pressure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck this weekend Mac. I hope you get the reward for the hard training. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Yep best of luck dude! You ll have a flyer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck mac, hope all that training pays off.

Thanks for the good wishes folks. No pressure eh!
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Mr Mac - sand bagger supremo!!
    We saw this before your first Olympic distance last year and you went and smashed the 2:30 mark that day - remember?
    C'mon Macanri, you can say what you like on the log before the race, but you better be going out there with at least sub 85 mins in your head and on your wrist. If you haven't got a pace band print one out now, I've taken the initiative and attached a choice of 2 to this post for you ;)

Best of luck between now and then and on the day too

No pressure :)

LMAO when I read this a few days ago. Cheers man. Never did get a chance to print off those pace bands though;).

Wed 12 Jan PM
    Raheny Winter League 3 mile Race - Total 10.3km

I met up with El D for the first time before the race. Nice to meet you man.
    I told Christeb as soon as I met him I wasn't racing it. I'm glad now that I didn't.
    It was a real nice run, I decided to do the miles around the HM pace. Went through the first mile in 6:35 and I think the 2nd arrived at 13:30 total time. After that I decided to let it rip for the last 2/3 mile. Finished with a sprint finish with some lad - not really fair as my legs were fresh and I left him for dead.

HR 175av-84%, 201mx-new100% figure.

Thurs 13.01 AM
    Group Swim (LC) 1400m

I was late so missed the WU which was 4x50,

Then 2x200 CUp, (others did 2 x 200 single arm with fins) But I didn't have any fins,
    6x(50 kick, 50 swim, 50 CUp),
    2x50 Doggy Paddle.

The kick was very tough as usual.

I am planning on heading to the NAC Masters Swim session in the Westwood on Tues night next. I will have to squeeze the Tues run in during lunch though or do the run and head straight to the pool.

Not particularly looking forward to running in the wind tomorrow but sure it might be better tomorrow. At least with the southerly wind it will be on our back for the return. I will have to remember to find some people to share the work with for the outward leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Good luck today Macanri. Your training should see you come home with a good time, even if the weather conspires against you!

Let the gales be at your back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Great stuff especially in that weather. Nice one!

Advertisement