Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Mac, this was coming for sure. Sub 85, you surely couldn't have dreamt a better result. Well done and well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

84:15? :eek: Sandbagger supremo, super going!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

^^84:15^^
    super stuff Macanri!
    The weather in Wexford today was pure awful, Waterford couldn't have been any better. That's unreal running in that wind. You must be looking forward to a really good result in Barcelona off the back of that.
    Any 10 milers planned between now and Barcelona?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Thanks all for the good wishes, and the congrats.
    DustyBin wrote: »
    ^^84:15^^
    super stuff Macanri!
    The weather in Wexford today was pure awful, Waterford couldn't have been any better. That's unreal running in that wind. You must be looking forward to a really good result in Barcelona off the back of that.
    Any 10 milers planned between now and Barcelona?

Good man dusty, cheers. Well I couldn't let you down on your predictions for me.;). If only I had the same confidence in myself.
    No 10milers planned as yet. There are 2 more races scheduled in the plan - 8-15k and an 8-10k.
    The next race will be the Raheny 5 (8-15k slot) and I hope to break the 30min marker.
    I am looking for a 10k for the weekend of 19th/20th Feb.

Where to start? Well Dusty Bin had left the pace bands on the log for an 85 min and a 83 min HM time. I really didn’t think I would be capable of a sub 85 min time. I didn’t get a chance to print out a pace band - but I wasn’t overly concerned as the mental arithmetic done on a run can keep me busy for up on half a mile. What I did do was on Fri night I wrote down 3 times: 85 mins, 87mins, and 90mins. Against each of these I wrote down the average pace in miles, the 5 mile, halfway and 10 mile splits. I referenced this again before the race.
    So basically my expectations where that I could achieve a sub 87 min, would be delighted with sub 86min and thought sub 85mins would be a dream time.
    I got to bed earlish on Friday night and woke at 7:00 after 8 hrs sleep. ~8hrs was also had on Thurs night. I had a big bowl of porridge with grapes and a coffee and toast. The new road down to Waterford is great and I arrived after ~2hrs drive. I registered and then had a banana around 10:30. The rain was still pelting down and the wind still howling. I went in to get changed into the gear around 11. I have been having a few shoe issues lately - The Brooks Adrenalin have caused problems around my ankle area, the new 2150s I got in the sales as a result have not ‘felt’ right in the 60 odd km that I have ran in them. So I decided to do the race in my trusty 1000kms old Keyano 15s, which I have been doing most of my LSRs in. I also wore my Lild socks which I find better than any 100mls socks, a trusty old tech T and my Adidas DCM09 shorts (the only shorts I have with a pocket in them - for the 1 gel I had planned to take).
    I did a lap of the running track to warm up (what a great surface) first time running on that type of surface - felt great - like the stuff in a kids playground! The man on the loud speaker gave updates on the minutes left before the start every 5 mins or so and at 11:45 I jogged on down towards Woodies and the start line. I chatted to those around me sheltering from the wind at the side of Woodies as we waited for the call to the line. The rain had died down at this stage. I positioned myself towards the front couple of rows and asked a bloke what time he had planned - 85mins the reply, I told him I was thinking of 86/87.

I covered the first mile, which was not wind affected, fairly quickly in 6:15, with the HR around 177 (The target HR being about 178/179). I eased up slightly both consciously and due to the wind now in our faces. There were two other runners just in front so I huddled in behind them for the next mile and came through 2 miles in 13:00 at HR 180. I was glad to see that 3miles arrived at 19:30 and I was feeling pretty relaxed with the pace still huddled in our little group, my HR having settled back around 177. The 85min bloke was always just about 30m ahead. But over the next mile we swallowed him up with another few, so by mile 4 we were a group of 8 or 9 making our way through the wind. We went through mile 5 in about 32:30 which I knew was 85min pace. I still felt good and knew that I could keep this pace up ‘til at least mile 10. I was happy to be running so well and still feeling comfortable-ish. The muscles were holding up but the joints were not as good. Over the previous mile or so my right achilles was letting itself be heard, but this dissipated over the next mile or so. The group really helped to cut through the wind. After a while I decided it was my turn to help up front. After another while we turned off the main road and up a short sharp hill, after which the 6 mile mark arrived and then the halfway mark. We passed through 1/2way in about 42:30, so bang on pace. There was a steward here who told us that we were all within the top 30. After this it was just a matter of keeping this pace until 10 miles and seeing how I felt after that. At this point I was still leading the group with another bloke, but the group seemed to be breaking up slightly as we crossed from one side of the road to the other to gain some form of shelter from the bushes. The main road came into view after another while and we all knew that this meant we were about to be turning for home. When we did turn around it was like someone flicked a switch and just turned off the wind. I couldn’t really feel the wind on my back, but immediately it was a lot less effort. I thanked the group for their work and complemented them on their running. I heard the 85min man tell his mate that we were now running at 6:08/ml pace and to ease up. I kept going , easing only slightly and soon enough there were 2 of our group a bit ahead and the rest were all somewhere behind me. It was every man to himself now and I just concentrated on keeping the same perceived effort and letting the pace look after itself. I took the gel around this stage and passed mile 8 and 9 slightly below 85min pace and the HR hovering around 175/176. My left achilles was at me now but it didn’t last long. The rain had been barely noticable had got heavier around the ½ way mark, but it didn't matter to me then. There was no change in position on this homeward stretch and I was delighted to pass through the 10mile mark in under 65 mins. I thought I could do the last 3.1miles in about 19mins and knew then I was well on for a sub85min finish. After the hour mark my watch doesn’t count seconds anymore so I didn’t bother looking at the time after this as it wouldn’t really be telling me a whole lot. I reeled in 1 and then another lad over miles 11 and 12 and 1 lad passed me. My right knee gave me a bit of trouble and was quite sore over miles 11 and 12 but was soon forgotten about. It was great to see the 12 mile marker and know that I could keep going to the finish, although it had been an effort for the last few miles. I had said before that I would use nasal strips for races. Well I had them with me but forgot to put one on, and I paid for this as over the latter miles as I breathed deep and quick for air through my nose my nostrils kept closing in on themselves, so I had to breathe through my mouth, and at times I pressed my nostrils open with my hand to get a few good breaths. Lesson learned - nasal strips for all races from here on in. Eventually we reached the entrance into the RSC and we came to a near stop as we rounded the tree and came down off the slippy grass and the kerb and back onto the tarmac. We entered into the track and I had caught up with another lad and ran with him. He picked up the pace and I tried to keep with him, but couldn’t. There was another lad in front and we both passed him but he kicked hard and tied across the line with the other lad. 3 seconds later I crossed the line, well happy with myself knowing I was after going sub 85. I didn’t know what time I had done though as I didn't see the clock

Final Result: 1:24:14. 4:00/km, 6:26/ml. HR O/A 176av-84%, 187mx-91%. Pos 22nd/690

After the race I was chatting to a few and then I noticed one of the 1:30 pacers coughing his lung up. I knew that could only be one man, Village Runner. Then he introduced me to Sosa. I met Brianderunner and Menoscemo too. Nice to meet you all.

Looking at the Micmillan running calculator which was still stuck on the 17:34 3 mile time from a few weeks ago, and it predicts a 1:24:14 time for a HM from that. Accurate or what. It also comes up with a 2:57:40 marathon time from both of those. Well we’ll see. The marathon will be a different beast altogether.

Another long winded race report.

• Advertisement

Sun 16 Jan AM
    Long Recovery Run 15.1km

Yesterday evening the right hip and knee were fairly sore, especially going up and down stairs, so I was wndering if I would manage a run at all today. The plan calls for a 17miler the day after the first 8-15k race. So I ran a 21.1km race - not in the plan. I decided to head out and see how I felt. After 7km I knew it wasn't on and I'ld be better finishing off as a long recovery run rather than trying to complete the 17miles and doing more damage. A bit disappointed with that but fell I made the right decision.

I suppose it's a sign of what is to come the day after the marathon. My legs seem to be able to do short and fast, or long and slow, but they don't tolerate long and fast too well. After DCM09 my knees were knackered and I couldn't run for a month after (which is why I decided to try my hand at the tris last year). I have been taking Glucosamine for about 9 months or so now and feel this helps alot.

I have a rest day tomorrow, so am glad of that. Tues is 6miles with 6x100m, then Wed is 12m w/ 7 Mi at PMP, so I should be good for that by then, hopefully.

Today 15.1km in 1:20:17, 5:19/km, 8:33/ml, HR 154av-70%, 173mx-82%.

Weekly Totals:
    Swim: 1400m
    Run: 78.3km (48.7mls) - 17.8, 13.0, 10.3, 21.1+1, 15.1km

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great running yesterday. You'll breeze it in Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats Mac. Savage running in very tough conditions. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Some serious running there, Macanri. I can imagine that the feeling of coming down onto the main road, with the wind at your back heading into Waterford, was a great feeling. Congrats on the fantastic time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Great report Macanri, congrats again on the time.
    You seem to be following a broadly similar plan to what I used for the Cork marathon last year, just take it easy over the next few days and use your foam roller A LOT. Maybe get in to see a physio early this week as well.
    Last year my plan called for an 8k - 15k race - I ran the Kildare Half marathon with Ronanmac, next day I had something similar like your 17 miler planned. I went out and ran 30k over a hilly course.
    I had lots and lots of miles done, but was not doing any foam roller exercises and ended up doing little or no running for the next few weeks due to an overuse injury. Just be careful to take care of yourself better than I did.

The MySport 10k is on the 13th Feb in Enniscorthy if it suits? Last year instead of the final 10k race I ran the Kilcock sprint triathlon instead, made for a nice relaxing change to all the running I had been doing up to that. Fingal tri club appear to be hosting a duathlon on the 19th Feb - maybe give it some thought?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Do you use normal nasal strips or is there specific ones you use? I had the same issues in the last few miles of the Waterford Half and could not get deep breaths in quick enough due to the nostrils closing up. Might try the strips and see if it helps.

Thanks lads.
    ronanmac wrote: »
    Some serious running there, Macanri. I can imagine that the feeling of coming down onto the main road, with the wind at your back heading into Waterford, was a great feeling. Congrats on the fantastic time.
    It was a very strange feeling as it had beeen battering us for the previous 6 miles or so. I suppose it felt like when someone holds your hands down by your sides and you try and raise them with all your might. Then when your hands are released, an dyou don't apply a force anymore, they feel light as afeather and raise up of their own accord! :D
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Great report Macanri, congrats again on the time.
    You seem to be following a broadly similar plan to what I used for the Cork marathon last year, just take it easy over the next few days and use your foam roller A LOT. Maybe get in to see a physio early this week as well.
    Last year my plan called for an 8k - 15k race - I ran the Kildare Half marathon with Ronanmac, next day I had something similar like your 17 miler planned. I went out and ran 30k over a hilly course.
    I had lots and lots of miles done, but was not doing any foam roller exercises and ended up doing little or no running for the next few weeks due to an overuse injury. Just be careful to take care of yourself better than I did.

The MySport 10k is on the 13th Feb in Enniscorthy if it suits? Last year instead of the final 10k race I ran the Kilcock sprint triathlon instead, made for a nice relaxing change to all the running I had been doing up to that. Fingal tri club appear to be hosting a duathlon on the 19th Feb - maybe give it some thought?

Good advice there DB, cheers. I am following the P&D plan, 18week, 55ml, which I got from RQ. A foam roller - HTFU:p. No I don' have one. Will do some stretches this evening though. Yea I just knew attempting the LSR was going to do me more bad than good. I am still tender today.

Cheers for the heads up on the MySport 10km, defo worth a look at. It would be less than 2 hrs from Dub. Depending on the time it may suit.
    Do you use normal nasal strips or is there specific ones you use? I had the same issues in the last few miles of the Waterford Half and could not get deep breaths in quick enough due to the nostrils closing up. Might try the strips and see if it helps.

I have never actually used them yet. But yes I just bought normal ones. The clear ones are dearer than the plaster coloured ones. I got the plaster coloured ones:o. If it solves the issue from now on then I couldn't care if they were pink with yellow spots. Seriously though it's a cat feeling not getting the effective breaths in.

Great report Mac and I'd like to echo DustyBin's advice. You already have the sub 3 in the bag so no need to over do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Macanri wrote: »
    Weekly Totals:
    Swim: 1400m
    Run: 78.3km (48.7mls) - 17.8, 13.0, 10.3, 21.1+1, 15.1km

is your bike broken or something:D

cunavalos wrote: »
    is your bike broken or something:D

LOL :o:o:o

The road to my first triathlon of 2011 is paved with good intentions.

Tues 18 Jan
    Run 8.4km w/ 5x100m

The plan called for "6Mi w/6x100m". But not having enough time at lunch and not wanting to do too much on tender joints I decided to cut it slightly short at 8.4km (5.2mls). All done in 42:18, 5:02/km, 8:06/ml, HR O/A 156av-71%, 175mx-84%.

Tues PM
    Masters Swim LC 2300m

Thanks to nomadics post on El Ds log I rocked on down to the Westwood (10mins drive so very handy) to join in with the NAC Masters group. I did 3 x 100m as a warm up while waiting for the coach. Needless to say I was in the slow lane. There were about 6 of us in it compared to twice that in the fast lane!

3x100 WU,
    6x50 fists off 1:20,
    4x200 on 4:00,
    100 2arm bkst recovery,
    5x100 2nd stroke off 2:20,
    6x50 off 1:00 - 3,5,7,3,5,7 breaths

The clock on the top end of the pool was broken which meant the rest times were harder to judge. the "2nd stroke" meant that you were not allowed to do FS, but had to choose another stroke. My breast stroke was so bad that after about 75m the coach told me to do the 100s as 1 length 2nd stroke and 1 length FS!
    The 200s were akin to draft training as we all seemed to b on top of each other and the 3 in front of me let me pass them at the wall during the course of the 4x200s.

I don't really understand the difference between "off" and "on".
    eg 5 x 100 "off" 2:15, would mean to me that I swim the 100 in anything under the 2:15 and once 2:15 comes around I'm "off" on the next 100.
    4x200 "on" 4:00, would mean to me that I swim the 200 aiming to come in "on" 4:00 and then start the next 200 after the set rest time.

The coach never set a rest time?!?

Wed 19 Jan Pm
    PMP Run 19.5km w/ 11.3km at PMP

The plan called for "12Mi w/ 7Mi pace".
    After the swim on Tues night my nose was running off me. If I get the same in the mornings it usually last for an hour or two, but on Tues night I had a runny nose and was sneezing all night (well til about 2am). As a result I couldn't get to sleep and I was fairly wrecked on Wed.

I think the HR for the PMP was so high as a result of this and not eating anything since lunchtime. Another reminder to eat a light tea before these big evening runs and have a proper dinner at lunchtime!

So 4km easy, then 11.3km in 46:40, Pace: 4:08/km, 6:39/ml, HR for the PMP section was 180av-87%, 193mx-96%. I felt very good at the start of the run and thought the whole thing was going to be a doddle. NOT. The pace is oo fast at that and I was hoping for 6:45 to 6:50/ml.

So all in all it was a good speed session, but not much advantage in training to run the marathon at a certain pace and HR. The last PMP section I did of 12Mi on Sun 02 Jan the av HR for the PMP section was 173. So I was way above that for just 7 miles. Anyway!

Thurs 20 Jan AM
    Group Swim (LC) 2000m

WU 2x(100FS, 100Kick w/ Fins),
    2x100 @ 60% (then note time for last 100 = 2:05),
    10x100 reducing 2 sec from 2:05 - (1:58,56,52,49,48, 44,41,40,41,40),
    100 easy bkst,
    2x100 kick (last 100 w/ fins),
    CD 100 FS easy

This was a good session for me and I felt good through out. I was a little whacked at the end of the 10x100 naturally enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

10x100 reducing 2 sec from 2:05 - (1:58,56,52,49,48, 44,41,40,41,40),

Very impressive swimming, looks like you lost very little swim fitness being able to hold those times

Cheers CW, yea was fairly surprised. I have been swimming at least once a week which has really helped hold the bit of swim fitness. I really like to get in the pool too as a change from all the running.

catweazle wrote: »
    Very impressive swimming, looks like you lost very little swim fitness being able to hold those times

+1 to that, thats great stuff Mac. How is the cycling going?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Still flying Mick. Cant wait to see how you get on in Barca.

• Advertisement

+1 to that, thats great stuff Mac. How is the cycling going?

I just have to get the finger out and fix the puncture on the front wheel - a 10min job. I really should sort it out and maybe take it out for an easy spin on my recovery or rest days.
    So, to answer your question - disaterous really!
    I know you are probably hinting that I should try and get some biking done. I appreciate it. But its plain for anyone reading this log at the minute to see that it is currently a duathlon type log of swim and run. I must turn it back into a triathlon log one of these days:rolleyes:

I just have to get the finger out and fix the puncture on the front wheel - a 10min job. I really should sort it out and maybe take it out for an easy spin on my recovery or rest days.
    So, to answer your question - disaterous really!
    I know you are probably hinting that I should try and get some biking done. I appreciate it. But its plain for anyone reading this log at the minute to see that it is currently a duathlon type log of swim and run. I must turn it back into a triathlon log one of these days:rolleyes:

Ah no, not hinting at that at all, you've a marathon in 5/6 weeks so that's the priority! Just haven't noticed much re cycling in ur log n a while. But you r right, short spins in the granny gear aregreat for recovery and loosening up tight/sore muscles.

Ok, got the wrong end of the stick, no harm done.

But yea, its been a very long while since there has been any cyling logged in here - 11th Sept to be precise! - excluding a commute into town for beers before Christmas.

See you on Wed in Raheny.

Fri 21 Jan PM
    Med Long Run 19.5km

The plan "12 Mi".
    Actual 19.5km or 12.1mls
    A handy enough pace and all went well, done in 1:35:23, 4:53/km (7:52/ml), HR 156av-71%, 165mx-77%.

Sat 22 Jan AM
    Rec Run 6.2km

Plan "5Mi"
    Actual 6.2km or 3.9mls
    Was a little tight for time as had to be home as Mrs M was meeting a friend for coffee. As it was a recovery run I decided to do less distance slowly than the planned distance faster.
    Done in 32:55, 5;19/km, 8:32/ml, HR 156av-71%, 164mx-77%
    Had to stop off in the shop to pick up milk and spuds for the dinner. Tough trying to jog the last half km lugging a shopping bag weighing about 5kg.

Sun 23 Jan AM
    LSR 33.3km (20.7ml)

No points for guessing the planned distance - "20 Mi"
    I ran the same route via Pmarnock, Malahide and Clontarf, but in reverse, which was a little more entertaining.
    All done in 2:40:16, 4:49/km, 7:44/ml, HR 157av-72%, 173mx-82%.

This went fairly well, I took it nice and handy at about 5:00km pace and with a nice low HR of ~150 for the first 10km, then picked it up just slightly and was running ~HR 155, Then 4km from home I picked it up to possibly 4:30 to 4:40/km pace and HR~170. So was glad to finish strong, considering I was out in Drogheda at my bros engagement party last night - 4 pints of stout had, in bed at 1:45 and up at 7:00. but I am a morning person which helps on a morning run. Am shattered this evening though. Whether it was wise or not, I didn't take any water or gels during the run, although I had a fiver ad a gel in my back pocket!

The joints were not too bad during the run, some slight pain in the right hip. But, since then the right knee is a little sore going up the strairs when all my weight is put on it from bent to straight as I climd the stairs.

I discovered that the 2150s were too tight the last time I had ran in them so I loosened them off for the PMP 12mls last Tues night and that went well. I ran the recovery miles yesterday morning in them too, so I decided to give them a go on the LSR today - all good. I think though the are slighly more clunky than the K15s and am thinking of buying a new pair of K17s for the marathon - thats a decision I need to make soon though, so I can break them in proper. But, I would then have 6 pairs of runners on the go, although some are now just used as house wear.

The run today went well, but the legs were tired. It will be no easy feat trying to run 26.2mls @ c. 6:50/ml pace, but at least I should be well rested after tapering down.

Just 6 weeks to go now til Barca, and the weekends will look like this:
    W/E
    30.01 Raheny 5ml, and follow it with a 17mile run on Mon night -*uck.
    06.02 17mi w/ 14 @ PMP
    13.02 20mi
    20.02 10km race followed by 16mi on the Sun
    27.02 12mi
    06.02 Barcelona Marathon

I am going to look at the 3 taper weeks with a view to reducing the milage slightly as I think this may suit me - I'll see.

Weekly Totals:

Swim: 4300m - 2300, 2000
    Run: 86.9km (54.0mls) - 8.4, 19.5, 19.5, 6.2, 33.3km

Meant to post this ages ago, but I joined up with the local well know running club a few weeks back after the last 3mile race.
    I will not make many training sessions but I look forward to running a few races in the Raheny colours and am glad to be a part of the local running community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

yOUR GOING WELL. I reckon you can take 2 min of your time last sat. It was a tough day for runners racing it. Sorry I didnt get to talk to you more but leaning over a fence wasnt the place(worse chest infection i have ever got):D. You have the speed for hte marathon now its to get the endurance.
    Probaly will do Enniscorthy myself on 13th feb. Need 16 more hard days to get in half decent knick

yOUR GOING WELL. I reckon you can take 2 min of your time last sat. It was a tough day for runners racing it. Sorry I didnt get to talk to you more but leaning over a fence wasnt the place(worse chest infection i have ever got):D. You have the speed for hte marathon now its to get the endurance.
    Probaly will do Enniscorthy myself on 13th feb. Need 16 more hard days to get in half decent knick

Cheers man, It will be a while I'ld say before I will/can tackle another HM, but yea with as good atraining I would be hopeful to shave a wee bit more off that time. that said I am well happy with the time.

Well it was good to meet you all the same.

Not much time left to get much more endurance, but hopefully the last few LSR will get me there.

Don't know what to do re the 10km race. I have been chopping and changing the plan from the start but it means juggling things around, so I think I may leave it well enough alone after the Raheny 5. If I can't find a 10k on the Sat I will just do my own wee race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Myself and Johnny might join you for that 17m on Mon apres the 5. It'll be a nasty one, but it'll all get easier after that - I hope!
    Are you hoping for a sub 30 on Sunday? You must be after recent training etc.

Nice going yesterday and see you on Weds.

christeb wrote: »
    Myself and Johnny might join you for that 17m on Mon apres the 5. It'll be a nasty one, but it'll all get easier after that - I hope!
    Are you hoping for a sub 30 on Sunday? You must be after recent training etc.

Nice going yesterday and see you on Weds.

Would love the company on the 17 mile - sound job. It will be about 19:30 to 20:00 before I get out the door most likely.

Defo going for the sub 30. The plan will be to start out at 5:55 or so and try hold it for the last 1 or 2 miles.

See you Weds.

• Advertisement

Tues 25 Jan
    Run 12.9km Easy

A handy 8Mi as per the plan. But I didn't do the 5x600m as I had planned to do the 2mile race on Wed.
    1:02, 4:49/km, 7:44/ml, HR 159av-73%, 166mx-78%.

Concerningly, I had the niggle in my right knee, but this hasn't been at me since, DG.

Tues PM
    Swim Masters LC 2100m

WU 2x100,
    8x50 off 1:15 (strong arm in fist),
    2x[3x100 on 2:00, 1x100 2nd stroke],
    5x100 2nd stroke on 2:30,
    4x50 on 1:00

Well, I learnt that off and on mean the same thing?
    As usual my 2nd stroke leaves me trailing behind, be it bkst or brst, so I compensated by swimming FS.

Wed 26 Jan PM
    Run 2mile Race w/ a few more thrown in

The Plan was for 11 Miles, so I did 1 or so before and a handful more after.

The plan for the race was to not race... I decided to try my pace for this Sunday, 6min/mile. I went through the first mile in 6:02, and finished in 12:05. So, not too bad. HR for the 'race' 182av88%, 187mx91%.

Did 2 miles CD with a clubmate, Christeb and El D. Then, I headed around my 9.4km loop, which brought the km for the evening up to 17.4km or 10.8miles.

The last 8.2km were recorded at 40:48, 4:59/km, 8:00/ml, HR 154av-70%, 164mx-77%. Part of this was done heading along the coast road where a section of the Raheny 5 will be ran, and the wind was full on in the face. I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that on Sun.

Thurs 27 Jan AM
    Group Swim 2400m

I couldn't find my swimming trunks so I decided to bring my underarmour shorts and a pair of running shorts with me. I put the UA shorts on. After the first 3 or 400m I had to get out and tie a string from my fin bag around them to keep them up as the water kept pulling them down (a bit) when pushing off the wall. The lads and lassies had a good laugh at that!

WU 2x[50 FS, 50 Kick] w/ fins,
    2x[4x50 (e,m,h,vh), 400, 4x50 (e-vh)],
    2x200 sidekick alt every 5th kick w/ fins,
    CD 2x100.

I later found my shorts in the ironing basket on Thurs evening, after heading back to the Westwood to see if they were in there lost and found!

I fixed the puncture on the bike in the evening but I went out to the shed with coal this evening and it's flat again.:(

Sat 29 Jan AM
    Swim 1200m

I brought the young lassie to her swimming lesson this morning and asked if I could jump in the pool while she was doing her thing - no problem was the answer - good stuff! Its a 20m pool about 1200mm deep so times were good.

WU 200m
    5 x 200m off 4:00, in on 3:30.
    A few lengths and half lengths with miss Mac on my back as a CD.

Sat 29 Jan AM
    Run 4.1km

The plan said 4mi w/ 6x100m, but I felt that 4km would be more beneficial.

I did 4x100m as I ran out of flat black path before the Watermill Road hill, which I will be racing up in the afternoon, for the first time - and I can't feckin wait!

Done in 20:39, 5:02/km, 8:06/ml, HR 161av-75%, 189mx-total wrong as I noticed it reading 189 within the first 400m or so, and I was travelling at normal 150ish pace and effort.

I brought the wee lad round to the goody bag pack for the Raheny 5, he enjoyed himself playing with the fork truck and pretending it was a train, and was happy with his kinder bar, packet of crips and drink courtsey of the Raheny Shamrocks.

Gonna hit the hay now, and am very much looking forward to tomorrow. There is supposed to be little wind - always good for race day.

Advertisement