Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Macanri wrote: »

I later found my shorts in the ironing basket on Thurs evening, after heading back to the Westwood to see if they were in there lost and found!

I hope you went Andy Grey on Mrs Mac for that faux pax :D

Its an early night for you, you are another night owl like me!

Good luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

catweazle wrote: »
    I hope you went Andy Grey on Mrs Mac for that faux pax :D

Its an early night for you, you are another night owl like me!

Good luck tomorrow!

No fault of Mrs Mac's to be fair. I was taking things of the rads to put in the ironing basket and hanging on my towel and swim shorts at the same time, and put the shorts in the ironing basket in my rush!

Cheers for the race wishes, CW.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

LOL I have a very similar post to that swimming incident back at the start of my log, I ended up not kicking off the wall at all and I'd be getting headbutts from the lads kicking off behind me. I keep meaning to get a 2nd pair of trunks, I've even had a voucher for em for months :rolleyes:

Good luck in the 5 mile today. The Waterford run will have been good practice if the wind stays like that. Seems pretty calm out there today though so fingers crossed for ya it stays like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well Mac hope today went well for you and you joined the sub 30 club :)

:D:D

Sun 30 Jan PM
    Raheny 5 Mile Road Race
    Tot incl WU/CD 10.1km

Well I don't to make this as long winded as normal.

Was hoping for sub 30. Had a good breakfast of porridge and banana, egg and toast. Then later headed down to registration with the 2 young Macs in their wagon: http://hereandthere.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/RadioFlyerWagon.jpg where I met alanfoley for a quick chin wag.

When I got up to the registration I met interested and 'nephead'. I took of the tracksuit into the GAA club and did a quick WU and stretch. I made my way towards the front and was about 9 back where I saw christeb at the far side of the same line.

I don't know what I came through the first mile in but had a feeling I was going a little quicker than sub6 pace, and that was confirmed as I rounded the corner onto the Howth Road in ~5:0x, which is about 100/200m from the 1 mile mark. I kept the pace more or less and came through 2 miles in 11:34 (just 10secs slower than my recent 2 mile race time), then came through 3 in 17:24 (10secs quicker than my 3 mile PB, nice). I knew then that if I could handle the hill I was on for well under 30. Soon onto the Coast Rd and then onto the hill up Windmill Rd. It wasn't too bad at all and I held the effort and didn't drop pace too much. the hill was then over and I started to increase the pace and effort slightly as I turned into St. Anne's. I held this sustained effort and then when I got to the green I pushed again, then when I got onto the 2nd last and last straight I went hell for leather and burned off anyone attempting taking me and caught up a and just passed the final target of the race.

I went to get my tracksuit and give the lads a hand to hand out the goodie bags, where I met Mr Drak.

The clock was reading 29:00 and me abotu 10meters from the line, so I thought I would be about 29:05 or so. Provisional results have me at 29:02 and 77th out of the 1600 odd. Happy f*cking out, man, happy out.

Mcmillan had me down for 30:12, off my 3mile and HM times. SO I stuck it to him today. But the fecker is giving an awful scary 2:50:xx marathon time off that 5 mile time. I'll stick to sub 3 this time round! I have no doubts how tough sub 3 will be!

So hopefully if all is in order tomorrow, I will be heading for a tough 17m run tomorrow evening/night.

Edit: Pace for race: 5:48/ml (3:37/km), HR ~182av-87%, 187mx-91%
    I wore the nasal strip and it worked a treat. I also wore my Brooks Racers - love them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great time Mac, i would kill to be able to run that fast over the shorter distances.

Damn, you are like some running machine at the mo Mac! Very well done, up there with the best of em now!

Great time Mac, i would kill to be able to run that fast over the shorter distances.
    77th out of the 1600 odd.

Hmmm... Will Elegant Sandbox, there are one or two or say 76 you could do a job on....1st place here I come. I promise you will run that fast over the distance if you do so, I promise!:p
    Damn, you are like some running machine at the mo Mac! Very well done, up there with the best of em now!
    Cheers man. Don't know about being up there with the best of them. The best in this particular race were some 5mins quicker over the distance... which is just savage running altogether.

I hope the achilles is a little better for you, mind it anyhow.

Mon 31 Jan AM
    Swim LC 2700m

I arranged to meet 'nephead' in the pool this morning. He is training for another IM, so the session was 500 WU and 5x400 with 45sec RT.

WU 5 x 100
    5 x 400 off 4:15, (in ~3:40, 37, 38, 27, 28)
    CD 100, 50 and 50 bk kick and scull.

I led out the 1st, 3rd and 5th 400. I found it easier on the 2nd and 4th as I was drafting a bit. The last 400 I was tired and this is when I normally find the water 'heavier/thicker', so I was really able to 'feel' the catch and pull phases and it felt good but the time was similar to the rest. A good session.

Met interested before hand, who must have thought I was following him, having met him yesterday also! Dumb ass me forgot his first name and mumbled out an 'alright dave' - a real trigger from fools n horses from me. The brain provided me with the correct name then and I apologised! Feckin' Mon mornings, where would you be without them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Met interested before hand, who must have thought I was following him, having met him yesterday also! Dumb ass me forgot his first name and mumbled out an 'alright dave' - a real trigger from fools n horses from me. The brain provided me with the correct name then and I apologised! Feckin' Mon mornings, where would you be without them! :)

After sleeping without for my normal swim and the weekends exertions you could have called me b0ll1x and I would have still been sleep walking this morning as I headed for the pool ;)

Congrats again on your run, savage stuff ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Mac, 1 word Recovery ????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Mcmillan had me down for 30:12, off my 3mile and HM times. SO I stuck it to him today. But the fecker is giving an awful scary 2:50:xx marathon time off that 5 mile time. I'll stick to sub 3 this time round! I have no doubts how tough sub 3 will be!

So hopefully if all is in order tomorrow, I will be heading for a tough 17m run tomorrow evening/night.

Excellent running in the 5m Mac. You're in a rich vein of form. Kudos :cool:

As for 2:50:xx - I told you so! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Nice running!

Was it the NAC this morning? Must have just missed you if so.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Mac, 1 word Recovery ????

Cheers Mr.D, but I consider the swimming to be a recovery for my running to be honest - it's non impact, I have a poor kick so the legs don't feel it too bad and it's mostly upper body work for me. The plan calls for a LSR after each race - to mimic running the latter stages of the marathon on tired legs I presume. Today is a no running day for me. Swim this evening. Don't get me started about the bike;)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Excellent running in the 5m Mac. You're in a rich vein of form. Kudos :cool:

As for 2:50:xx - I told you so! ;)

Cheers pg. 2:50 LOL, sub 3 will be plenty tough enough for me, thank you. But, yea I feel the running is going very well at the minute, thank God.
    nomadic wrote: »
    Nice running!

Was it the NAC this morning? Must have just missed you if so.

Cheers mate. Yea the NAC yesterday. 6:30 to 7:30, we were in the 2nd lane from the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Cheers mate. Yea the NAC yesterday. 6:30 to 7:30, we were in the 2nd lane from the door.
    I was in the first lane with the brest stroker, 6 - 7. He seemed to scare a lot of people into the second lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Mick well done on the 5mile you are really belting out the results now. I reckon pgibbo is right, low 2:50s is doable but I reckon on the day, cruising the first half in 1:28 then a tasty negative split for a 2.54-55 is my bet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

A great run in Raheny, Macanri, a fantastic time! You'll smash (Richard Keys reference not intended :eek:) 3 hours with that running (with 2:50 in your nostrils!)

Cheers lads, now enough of this 2:50 talk, are yous well on the head at all. Feck sake, sub 3 is going to be tough enough. I will probably be fine up to 20 miles, but it's what happens after that will decide the final time. And that won't be known until Sun 06th March.

Mon 31 Jan PM
    LSR 27.5km (17.1mls)

The plan "17Mi"

Got the wee lad to bed for just after 7 so was able to decide on the route and get out the door for 7:40, nice one. I like to do my runs in one loop, but as the loop I have been using for this distance would be on completely dark roads for a section or two, I decided to do 2 other loops, the first was 17.2km which would bring me back to the house, and then a 10.3km loop. I left a carton of Amigo apple juice on the wall, courtsey of Raheny 5 goody bag.

The pace felt good for the HR, and whenever I took my mind of the run and the HR my pace increased along with the HR. I was trying to keep it below Z3 (~160 for me). The legs started to get tired and feel it mid way through the last loop, but all in all this was a great run, and very enjoyable. A lovely evening for it, nice and mild for a change. There was a bit if a breeze blowing down the coast road on the second loop and I couldn't help but think of Waterford HM - I must be scarred from it! I pushed on for the last 2.3km and was glad to have something left to finish it strongly. I'm happy with the slightly higher pace compared to other LSRs in a similar HR.
    The rain didn't start until about 10mins after I got in the door.

I wore the 2150s and they are grand now since loosening the laces a few weeks back. They are becoming the choice shoe for Barcelona, unless I get the finger out pronto and order the Keyanos. I had a slight 'tightness' in my achilles and the right hip began to stiffen / get soreish towards the end, but thankfully, no knee issues. All in all minor enough niggles, and nothing to worry about for now.

Done in 2:09:48, 4:43/km, 7:36/ml, HR 157av-72%, 169mx-80%. O/A
    last 2.3km in 9:45, 4:14/km or 6:49/ml, = MP.

Weekly Totals:
    have included Mons LSR as it should have been part of the week.
    Swim: 5700m - 2100, 2400, 1200m
    Run: 72km (44.7mls) - 12.9, 17.4, 4.1, 10.1, 27.5kms

Monthly Totals:
    Swim: 16,600m
    Run: 350.7kms (218mls)

Cheers lads, now enough of this 2:50 talk, are yous well on the head at all. Feck sake, sub 3 is going to be tough enough. I will probably be fine up to 20 miles, but it's what happens after that will decide the final time. And that won't be known until Sun 06th March.

Eh, very quite here since the above^^

I didn't mean to scare ye!!:D

Tues 01 Feb PM
    Swim Masters Session LC 2500m

The shoulders were feeling it after the first section (8x50 Catch up) and Mon mornings session was obviously still in my arms. The rest after that was just a case of not been left behind. I know I was making the times with a few secs to rest but the lead guy was just waiting for a few seconds before he went off again. so each section was a constant swim more or less.

WU 2x100,
    8x50 Cup off 1:15,
    2[200 on 3:50, 4x50 on 1:00],
    2[150 on 2:45, 4x50 on 1:00],
    100 on 2:00, 2x50 on 1:00,
    6x50 (2x50med, 2x50hd, 2x50 25vhd 25easy)

Wed 02 Feb PM
    Run 15.5km (9.6m)

I met up with christeb for this one, so it was nice to do a session with company. The man was bouncing along at the start but unfortunately his calf played up on him towards the end and he struggled home. Hope it heals up quickly for him.
    The plan said "9Mi w/ 5x1000m"

I did 15.5km with the 5x1000m all around 6:00 to 6:30/ml pace.
    O/A in 1:10:07, 4:31/km, 7:17/ml, HR 163av-76%, 180mx-87%.

Thurs 03 Feb AM
    Group Swim LC 2500m

2[50pull, 50bkst,50FS],
    5[4x100 - ea,md,hd,vh all off 2:15] (vh - 1:40, 39, 37PB, 40, 40).
    100bkbouyscull,
    100FS

One of the lads had fins on for the main set and was swimming behind me. His task was to keep on my feet, my task was to lose him. Some of the first few I did so, but the last ones I was thinking I had lost him but with about 15m to go he always got a touch on my toes - dang - but it made me work. Glad to get another sec off my PB for 100m.

Thurs PM
    Run 9.4km

I read on KC's log about him running very very slowly for a recovery run and it was akin to getting a massage, so I thought I'ld give it a go.

The 9.4km were run in 55:48 which is a super easy pace of 5:56/km or 9:33/ml. The legs did feel nice after it and the following day - until after the Friday night run! HR 136av-59%, 146mx-65%.

Fri 04 Feb PM
    Run 19.5km (12.1m)

The plan was "12Mi".

Mrs M had to go to her ma's after the kids went to sleep so it was late heading out on this one. I was out the door just before 10pm, so after running for 1:36:06, it was after 11:30pm before I got in. So during this I was questioning my sanity! I was a little aprehensive running by groups of lads, but the roads were clearer of traffic than the regular evening runs. It was very gusty so parts were tougher than normal. I don't know who I'll be voting for in the Gen Election, but it might just come down to who can put a poster on a lamppost without it blowing off within 15mins!!! The wind cought one of them unknown to me and lashed it off the pole - frightened the feckin life out of me!!:o Luckily, the heavy rain had finished by the time I headed out.

O/A pace 4:58/km, 7:58/ml, HR 156av-71%, 165mx-77%.

Sat 05 Feb AM
    Run 9.4km Easy

The legs were tired for this rec run. Done in 47:59, 5:06/km, 8:13/ml, HR 149av-67%, 156mx-71%. Raining for this one.

Sun 06 Feb PM
    PMP Run 26.7km w/22.5km

The plan "17Mi w/14Mi". This was the run I have been dreading since the start of the plan. The wind and rain through parts didn't help, but I slogged on and got it done. The legs were tired from 5 or 6 miles in but sure the training is geared towards running the last section on tired legs. So that was well simulated today, I found it tough enough going to be honest. I have been staying up too late and eating too much crap lately so I intend to remedy that.

First 3km in around 17:30 with a pit stop for the bathroom. Then the 22.5km in 1:34:57, 4:13/km, 6:47/ml, HR for the PMP section was 170av-81%, 177mx-85%.

Weekly Totals:
    Swim 7700m - 2700, 2500, 2500
    Run 81.4km (50.6mi) - 15.5, 9.4, 19.5, 9.4, 27.6km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good weeks training Mac.

Good stuff Mac, tough weather for it at the moment.....give me the snow/ice any day! When does the taper begin? Are you doing the Raheny 3 miler on Weds night?

Yea the weather was catmelodion the last few days. I'ld still prefer it to the snow and ice - at least you can still get the fast sessions in in the wind and rain - even if the paces get a bit fecked up.

Yea doind the 'race' but I have ran all the hard races that I am going to do before Barca. I will be there but again it will be run at a HMP or MP. Probably MP, just to reinforce the 'feel' for it in the auld noggin.

Yea the weather was catmelodion the last few days. I'ld still prefer it to the snow and ice - at least you can still get the fast sessions in in the wind and rain - even if the paces get a bit fecked up.

Yea doind the 'race' but I have ran all the hard races that I am going to do before Barca. I will be there but again it will be run at a HMP or MP. Probably MP, just to reinforce the 'feel' for it in the auld noggin.

Planing to run at 6:30/mile pace if that helps with pacing. See you there.

Mon 07 Feb

The plan was for rest and thats what was done.

Tues 08 Feb PM
    Run 8.4km w/ 5x100m

The plan was for 5Mi w/ 6x100. As I ran out of road I just did the 5x100m.
    A nice run in 43:34, 5:11/km, 8:21/ml, HR 153av-69%, 173mx-82%.

Tues PM
    Master Swim Session LC 2500m

I did 2x100m as a WU before the coach detailed the sets:
    8x50 2nd Stroke off 1:15,
    4x50easy, 200 on 3:30,
    3x50easy, 150 on 2:45,
    2x50easy, 100 on 1:45,
    4x50 on 1:05, 200easy on 4:00,
    3x50 on 1:05, 150easy in 3:00,
    2x50 on 1:05, 100 easy on 2:00,
    100 CD

Had to keep changing back to FS for the '8x50 2nd stroke' as I was getting left behind. After that it was not too bad, although I had a bit of a niggle in my right shoulder. But it was gone by Thurs mornings swim. There was no drafting this week and not as much of a constant swim so got to take a breather of ~3 or 4 secs before most sets. I told the coach that I probably wouldn't be back as I feel that it suits me better to get the swims done in the morning so that it leaves evenings more free to do other sessions or to just rest.

Wed 09 Feb PM
    Run and Race, 17.5km total

Headed down for the Raheny race series where I met up with El D. We were planning the same pace of 6:30/ml so we ran together, after he slowed down after racing off like a greyhoung chasing a hare.;). Mile 1 was way too quick at 6:10, so I slowed to what I thought was target pace, came through mile 2 in 12:50, so a 6:40 mile there. Then continued around and came through the line in 19:15, just behind El D, the smelly fecker!!;):p.

I did a mile CD with El D and another new clubmate (JohnyF) who is also doing Barca. He was behind me in the first mile and was wondering why I slowed down when I passed the mile mark. I headed on on one of my loops to bring the total run to 17.5km or 10.9mls in old money, which I hope satisfied Mr. P&D who were looking for "10Mi w/ 4x1200m".

Thurs 10 Feb AM
    Group Swim LC 2800m

Mr P&D mustn't know I do a paid group swim session on a Thursday as they called for rest. I think cross training is allowed, so that'll do.

I was early and did 3x100, before the boss called for:
    WU 100FS, 50LArm, 50RArm, 100BkSt w/ Fins,
    4x[400@1500pace, 4x25 OW Start Sprint],
    CD 100FS, 50BkSt, 50BrSt, 100FS

I wasn't going all out but it was a good session none the less. I love practising the OW swim starts. I only got to do 3 of the '4x25 OW' as The others had finished. Ah well.

Fri 11 Feb PM
    Run 16.4km

P&D said "10 Mi". But this one was for Mr Mac so instead of trying to keep it easyish I let the pace and HR go slightly and ran on listening to some 80s music on Today FM (which wasn't that great to be honest, some good tunes, but some bad ones too).
    All done in 1:15:29, 4:36/km, 7:25/ml, HR 161av-75%, 174mx-83%.

For the first couple of miles I felt the recurring niggle in the tendon around the ankle area, but it subsided before long. I wore the 2150s for this run and had a nice blister forming under the RHS of my Left arch at the end of the run. Par for the course, but I blame the socks more than the shoes. The socks are Lidls 2nd offering (which I find pretty crappy). There first offering of running socks (of which I have 2 pairs) I find brilliant, and I wear them for races and training runs. The 2 offerings even look very different!

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new pair of Kayano 17s (Elvery's sale) on Fri. I have now got 4 newish pairs of runners and 2 older ones!!! Feckin hell. So I gave them a trial this evening. They feel good so will do some more runs in them next week, with a view to running next weeks LSR of 16 miles in them. If all is well at the end of that then they will be on a pair of feet on a plane on the 04th March.

Sat 12 Feb PM
    Run 9.3km tot

Plan "4Mi". I was ready to go out the door when I was asked to go to the chemist, so I had a 0.9km WU before heading out on my 8.4km loop. I could have swore the plan asked for 5miles, but sure how and ever.
    8.4km in 43:13, 5:08/km, 8:17/ml, HR 142av-62%, 152mx-68%.

I thought the rain was going to get this far before I got out, but I escaped the shower once again!

Mrs Mac is in severe pain with her back after sleeping akwardly on it last night, so I may not get out to do the 20 miler until tomorrow night when the kids get off to sleep.

I need to et to bed earlier. I have been staying up until 12 ish every night this week and up around 6:40, so it's taken its toll a bit, and I feel tired.
    The scales read 69.8kg this morning which is a bit below my normal 71 to 72kg. I will try and stay off too much crap and will be well happy arriving to the start line in Barcalona under 70kg.

Sun 13 Feb PM
    LSR 31.8km (19.8mls)

As expected I had to wait til I got the kids off to leaba codalta before I got out, as Mrs M is having alot of trouble with her back (its getting better but still bad enough). I headed out on the last 20miler in the plan, with the intention of doing 32.8km (20.4mls). I decided to run the 17.1km loop twice with a bit taken of each loop. The pace was higher than normal LSR pace for the the first 20km or so, coming through 10miles in 73mins (7:18/ml pace). But after that the niggle that had been at me for the last few days/weeks kicked in with a vengance. It's like a shin splint above my inner ankle. I don't know how but this seemed to cause another problem on the top of my foot below the laces in the runners. So the last 10km of the run was done in pain and under mutterings of several four lettered F words.

The splint was not sore after the run but the top of the foot was and I iced it and put a compression bandage on it for the next day.

I didn't add on the little loop to bring the run from 31.8 to 32.8km. I probably should have called it a day when it started at me, as there was plenty of places I could have turned to shorten the run, but that didn't happen and I ran on!
    All done in 2:28:53, 4:41/km, 7:32/ml, HR 156av-71%, 165mx77%.

Thank God , the trial run this evening went fairly good, so looks like I'm near back on track. Gringo78 wrote a comment in tbb's log and I read it on Mon or Tues. It's a pity I didn't read it on Sunday evening before the run (well I couldn't have - he only wrote it on Mon!):
    Look after yourself over the next 3 weeks and you'll be fine. Not sure of your exact plans for the taper but listen to your legs now and change the plan on the day (training day, not marathon day) if you feel them not up to it. If you feel you must run fast on a particular day, do it in reps rather than lots of miles. Fatigue causes your running style to breakdown and that straggly running then causes injury. Get to the line injury free now. Run smart. Best of luck.

So this is my focus from here on in - get to the line as injury free as possible!

Weekly Totals:
    Swim 5300m - 2500, 2800
    Run 83.4km (51.8mls) - 8.4, 17.5, 16.4, 9.3, 31.8km

Wed 16 Feb PM
    Easy Run 10.9km

The plan for this week had to change due to the slight injury. It looked like so:
    Mon: Rest
    Tues: 8mi w/ 5x600m
    Wed: 5mi
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 4mi w/ 6x100m
    Sat: 8-10k race
    Sun: 16mi

I felt that the foot had mended sufficently and was up for a tester. The plan was to do the 4.6km loop nice and easy, and keep adding bits on if all was well. All was well enough. No pain at all on the top of the foot, but the 'ankle splint' was niglly for parts. Other niggles said hello too but they didn't stick around! I tought it wise to count my blessings and leave it at 10.9km for one day.

Done in 54:53, 5:01/km, 8:05/ml, HR 151av-68%, 161mx-75%.

I will probably rest it again tomorrow and see what to do with the plan on Fri.

Thankfully the foot injury isn't something too serious MAc, and what terrific advice from Gringo I must say.

Thankfully the foot injury isn't something too serious MAc, and what terrific advice from Gringo I must say.

Yea thankfully it seems ok. But when it happened I really thought it was game over.

Thurs 17 Feb AM
    Group Swim LC 2500m

Was early so did 100 before the session:
    WU 2x[50LArm, 50RArm] w/ Fins,
    2x100 hard, 200@80%, 300@70%, 400@60%, 300, 200, 2x100,
    200 kick w/ fins,
    CD 50BrSt, 50BkSt, 50BrSt, 50BkSt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

still going well Mac. There's a chap doing free Thai massages (text me if you want his #) down the club, he just finished some training course and needs bodies to practice on. Might freshen you up a bit pre-Barca

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    still going well Mac. There's a chap doing free Thai massages (text me if you want his #) down the club, he just finished some training course and needs bodies to practice on. Might freshen you up a bit pre-Barca

Cheers CB, I will do.
    How are you now? Has the calf cleared up?

Advertisement