Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

much better since this week thanks, so I should be in good shape on the start line at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Fri 18 Feb PM
    Run 9.8km

Headed out a little quick and could feel the tendon above the left ankle and the achilles tendon so reigned it in and it settled down a bit. Not out of the woods yet by any means. This is a bit annoying but what can I do.

9.8km (6.1ml) in 46:21, 4:44/km, 7:37/ml, HR 153av-69%, 172mx-82%.

One good thing is the Kayano 17s are great, finding them very comfortable and will do my LSR in them on Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Macanri wrote: »
    Fri 18 Feb PM
    Run 9.8km

Headed out a little quick and could feel the tendon above the left ankle and the achilles tendon so reigned it in and it settled down a bit. Not out of the woods yet by any means. This is a bit annoying but what can I do.

9.8km (6.1ml) in 46:21, 4:44/km, 7:37/ml, HR 153av-69%, 172mx-82%.

One good thing is the Kayano 17s are great, finding them very comfortable and will do my LSR in them on Sun.

Is there much difference between the 17s and 16s. I found the 16's good for stability but they are a heavy shoe. Be careful to rest up with Barca so close, all the hard work is done now.

Is there much difference between the 17s and 16s. I found the 16's good for stability but they are a heavy shoe. Be careful to rest up with Barca so close, all the hard work is done now.

Never had the 16s. Had the 15s and still run in them 1000km + in them. Found the 15s absolutely great and am sorry now that I didn't pick up another pair when I could have. I found them light enough to be honest. The K17s don't seem to be as heavy as the 2150s. All I know is Asics, so I can't compare them with much, the stability shoes are pretty much the same weight. I have a pair of Brooks Racers which are light and I love running short races in them.

Yea, in taper now so have time to give the foot a bit of rest. Plan for Sun is '16Mi' but I intend to go out on a loop where I can shorten that if necessary, and will probably cap it at 14 or 15miles.

See you in Spain, mon amigo:)

The top of the foot was sore again on Fri night and on Sat after the run on Fri so I decided to rest it and not do any running over the weekend. All I could think about was missing my LSR of 15 or 16 miles. Bummer.

Mon 21 Feb PM
    Run easy 9.4km

It was time for a tester this evening, so I did a nice easy 9.4km loop. All went well enough, slight pain in the left 'ankle tendon/shinsplint' but not too bad.
    Done in 47:51, 5:05/km, 8:11/ml, HR 151av-67%

I think I will try a LSR of 14mile tomorrow and then if all goes well, I will do the 2mile race at MP on Wed. Rest on Thurs and do a 10mile LSR on Sat. We'll see how it goes.

I am still eating too much sh*te. That has to stop now!

So last weeks totals:
    Swim: 2500m
    Run: 20.7km (12.9mls) - 10.9, 9.8km

hmmmmmm......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hope the run goes okay for you. You cant be eating too much **** if your down below 70kg now. Wouldnt worry about what you ve missed, you were going cosily along for sub 3 and are still well under it. If you need a few more days take it just get to the line without pain. Have you had a physio/sports therapist look at it?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hope the run goes okay for you. You cant be eating too much **** if your down below 70kg now. Wouldnt worry about what you ve missed, you were going cosily along for sub 3 and are still well under it. If you need a few more days take it just get to the line without pain. Have you had a physio/sports therapist look at it?

Cheers KB, Yea, weighed myself on Sat morn at 72kg. WIth all the running before this it was easy enough to loose a bit of weight. But all last week when I was not running and still eating sugary foods, I was saying to myself - no don't be eating all that sh!te - just never listened!

The aim is to get to the start in as little pain as possible. I went to see a physio beside work yesterday and she said its not a stress fracture, but more likely transferred pain from muscle fatigue. She has no problem with me running as long as I take it handy. I am going to get a rub with christebs contact on Mon evening next too.

I'll play it all by ear for the next few days. As long as I can get a few runs in I should be ok fitnesswise. Headwreckin' all the same!

You're getting some nice cycles in. Have you bit the bullet on buying a new set of wheels yet?

Ah thats reassuring i was getting worried for you there, would hate to not see you get the sub 3. Eh wish i could afford to, spent alot of money lately and have to keep money for whatever happens with work but i hope to get one come the summer.

Tues 22 Feb PM
    LSR 22.4km (13.9mls)

Headed out hoping for the best. The ankle 'shin splint' and the top of the foot were noticeable for the first few km, but were OK after that. I had a few other niggles, but the R hip was fine. So thank God the run went well overall.

This was my postponed LSR of 16mls which should have been done last Sun, but this close to the race I decided that it would be better cut slightly short, plus I have 10 miles planned for this Sat.

All in 1:50:19, 4:56/km, 7:56/ml, HR 156av-71%, 166mx-78%.

Wed 23 Feb PM
    Raheny Winter League 2mile

Short jog to the club house, 1 mile WU with christeb and then around the 1 mile course twice hoping to finish on my predicted time of 13:40, in and around PMP. Came through the first mile in 6:26 so reined it in for the next mile finishing in 13:28.

Thurs 24 Feb AM
    Group Swim LC 3200m

I was early and did 4 x 100

The set was then anounced as 30 x 100m !!!
    1st 10 off 2:00, 2nd 10 off 1:55, 3rd 10 off 1:50
    1st 10 came in around 1:50 - 55,
    2nd 10 started off coming in around 1:50, but got a belt on the head and that threw me for a few, and I was struggling to make the RTs at the end.
    I only had time to do 8 of the 3rd 10, and was fairly shagged at this stage, coming in around 1:50 - 57.

I thought I heard him say that next week was a 2000m TT. If so I will be taking it handy as there is no way I'm busting a gut just days before Barca.

No running planned 'til tomorrow Sat, where I plan to meet up with christeb for a handy 10 miles. I think I will wear my marathon gear for it, as I have not ran in it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good swimming Mac but yeah a 2km TT would kill your energy for a hop off a Marathon. Plenty of time to do that mad stuff AFTER you firmly plant your feet into the boards sub3 club :D

• Advertisement

Sat 26 Feb Midday
    LSR 16.1km (10Miles)

Got kitted out in my marathon gear, Raheny tech T and Shorts, Lidl socks and K17s. I also wore the gel belt with 3 gels in it. As I started out through the estate, only seconds from the door, a car full of girls shouted out something about my legs at me, I don't know was it "..white legs mister" or "..nice legs mister". More than likely the former:D.

I stopped a few times in the first 2 or 3 kms to loosen, tighten and loosen agin the left shoe. It still needs to be loosened ever so slightly. All went well with the run. The top of the foot was the only niggle had, but with just a few easy runs between now and next Sunday I think all should be Ok on the day. The gel belt was annoying me slightly bouncing up and down. I may change to a different pair of shorts on the day.

I checked the marathon website to see what gels they give out during the marathon, but they don't appear to give any out. At the stations they give water, powerade, oranges, nuts, sponges, but no mention of gels. I had planned on carrying three and picking the rest up along the route. I was planning on taking one at, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24. or 5, 10, 15, 20 and 24. So I may have to carry an extra few more than originally planned.

Weekly totals:
    Swim: 3200
    Run: 54.9km (34.1mls) - 9.4, 22.4, 7, 16.1km

The 22.4km was due to not doing a LSR the previous week.

I am modifying next weeks plan from:
    Mon Rest, Tues 6 Mi, Wed 7Mi w/2Mi Pace, Thurs Rest, Fri 5Mi w/ 6x100, Sat 4Mi, to
    Mon 5Mi, Tues Rest, Wed 5 or 6Mi w/2Mi Pace, Thurs Rest, Fri Rest (travel), Sat Breakfast Run ~4km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well dude, catching up now. Glad that that niggle seems to have sorted itself out (i hope) nothing worse than that in the back of your mind. The very best of luck with Barca, looking forward to the report.....go get what you deserve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well dude, catching up now. Glad that that niggle seems to have sorted itself out (i hope) nothing worse than that in the back of your mind. The very best of luck with Barca, looking forward to the report.....go get what you deserve ;)

+1 on that. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck in Barcelona, Macanri. There seems to be a fine contingent of Boardsies to keep you company! Hope it goes well for you.

Best of luck to ya Mick! sub 3 will be no bother to ya

Thanks lads. Yea the niggle seems to have gone away, Thank God.

Just packing the bag now - yeehaa.

Can't feckin' wait. Re the sub 3 - well I have nothing to lose. I will bust my balls to try and get it, thats for sure!

Macanri wrote: »
    I am modifying next weeks plan from:
    Mon Rest, Tues 6 Mi, Wed 7Mi w/2Mi Pace, Thurs Rest, Fri 5Mi w/ 6x100, Sat 4Mi, to
    Mon 5Mi, Tues Rest, Wed 5 or 6Mi w/2Mi Pace, Thurs Rest, Fri Rest (travel), Sat Breakfast Run ~4km.

So far so good, the plan has been followed.. long may it continue:D

Mon 28 Feb PM
    Easy Run 8.4km (5.2mls)

A nice handy run around part of the Raheny 5 course. I wore the Kayano 15s for this, I don't know what it is about them, but they are a great shoe. I was very nearly thinking of running the marathon in them but they have too many Kms in them at 1200+.

45:55, 5:25/km, 8:43/ml, HR 145av64%, 159mx-73%.

Wed 02 March AM
    8.4km Easy w 2miles @ PMP

I was getting a massage on Wed evening in the local club so it was either try and squeeze this in at lunch, which was never going to happen as I needed to tie up alot of loose ends before the long weekend break.

A nice crisp frosty morning, which was apt for my last run on Irish soil pre Barca, but the 2mls at PMP were tougher than I would have liked. And as I ran I was getting different niggles to the last run on Mon - the body acts strangely altogether during the taper, for sure.

39:56 OA, HR for the easy was ~ 157av-72%
    HR for the PMP was ~176av-84%. The PMP was done in 13:40, so 6:50/ml.

Thurs 03 Mar AM
    Swim 2400m

In early for 2 x 100 Then a WU of
    200 FS, 200 Choice.
    It was a 800m TT, so I said I would do it without pushing hard.
    800 done in 14:31 (1:49/100)
    Fins for 200 side kick alt every 50, 200 side kick alt every 3 kicks, 200 side kick alt every 3 kicks and 3 strokes.
    4 x 100 easy CD. The others did kick drills but I wasn't having any of that thanks!

So that's me plenty of mile run, a good few km swum, and not even a wheel revolution on the bike. That will change in about 2 weeks time, coinciding nicely with a change to summertime time and nice long evenings:D

Thanks again for the good wishes for the marathon.
    I have printed out the pace band for a 3hr target and will start off defo no faster than PMP, then see how it goes after 20 miles. Then it will be a matter of digging deep!

I tabulated my weekly milage and my LSR for the last no of weeks out of interest:

Took out the table as it was not working right - I will post it again another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Best of luck for Sunday! The work is done, I reckon you'll go a couple under 3.

The weekend gone was always going to be a special weekend as I had never went abroad to run a race before, never mind the fact that the race was a marathon. And it was great to meet up with a few more Boardsies and to catch up with those I had met before.

After checking in to the hotel on Friday afternoon I went to the expo to collect my bib. I thought the expo was quite similar to Dublin’s expo which I experienced in 2009. They also had a tri section though, which added a different edge to it. I went round the stands fairly quickly, aiming to pick up an inexpensive pair of compression socks if I could. I managed to find some for €25, so was happy enough with that. A few of us met up for something to eat on Fri night, so it ended up a little later than I had intended, but I got about 8 hrs sleep, so it wasn’t too bad.

Having spoken to Briandrunner during the meal about the hills involved with the breakfast run I was beginning to change my mind and I was thinking about not bothering to do it. After waking on Sat and with time to make it to the run, I had a rushed breakfast and made it to the start of the breakfast run just as the last of the runners went out of sight by the corner of the expo building. I picked up a number and took a short-cut up the steps and waited until the front runners arrived. I was watching out for cunavalos who I had arranged to meet, but didn’t see him so hoped in with Meno and Sarsfieldsrock for the rest of it. I was surprised to feel as tired as I did at the end of it and hoped that the sun wouldn’t be as powerful during the marathon.

Race Day
    I had an alright sleep on Sat night and was awake before 6. The hotel had obliged to let me use their kitchen microwave to make my porridge; fair play to them for that. I also had a banana and a wheaten croissant. I then had a Zym and water as I felt this would prevent any cramps during the race, as I had used this strategy for a lot of the tris last year and it generally worked a treat.

I met up with Liam123 whilst relieving myself against a wall just before I headed for the sub3 pen. When I entered the pen it was less than half empty and nearly everyone in it looked like a serious runner. Trying not to feel intimidated I joined the train of runners jogging the perimeter of the pen as a warm up. After a few stretches and a few more trips to the ‘wall of relief’, the pen had filled up and we were waiting for the off. I said a quick hello to the two only English speakers I could see around me. The 3 hr pacers were about 15m ahead of me in the pen.

Before long we were shuffling towards the timing mat and on our way around the streets of Barcelona. I had the Raheny tech Tshirt on and had 6 gels (3 iso and 3 reg) in a belt. The pace band had 4:15 for the 1st km and I went through in 4:09. The pacers were a good 100m ahead but I wasn’t worried about that as I had my pace band and was sure I would catch up with them over the next few k. 8:20 was the 2km time (8:31 planned) and I was trying to hold myself back but was getting caught up a bit too much with those around me. It was around here that I passed the 3:15 pacer, whatever he was doing? The watch at 3km was 12:34 or so (should have been 12:47). I made myself slow down then and came through the 5km mark bang on pace.

The next 5km went by fairly quick; I had taken an Isogel at 6km and went through 10km almost a min up on the planned 42:39, in 41:50. I wasn’t too concerned that I had gone a little quicker than I should have. After this I was hitting each km about 1 min quicker than I should have been, so essentially I was now running at pace. The pacers were still about 100m or more ahead. After the 10km mark I wanted to go for a pee but I didn’t want to stop so at the next water station I took a bottle and when it was empty I carried it with me, planning on using it on the go. I never really got an opportunity to, and I ended up throwing the empty bottle away after the 15k mark. After that the urge left and it didn’t return ‘til after the finish. The 10 to 20km section went by fairly quickly too, but even at this stage of the race I was beginning to feeling the pace (which is in stark contrast to DCM09 where I was fresh as a daisy and felt great up to and beyond the half way point). I was fairly oblivious to all around me; until we turned a corner and one of the runners behind me clipped my leg and knocked me well off stride. Luckily, I didn’t fall. Before I knew it I had let out a yell – he apologised and I acknowledged it and dismissed the incident. I had meant to take the next Isogel at 12km but only remembered to take it when I was at the 13k marker. I passed 15km in 1:03:13 (pace band had 1:03:59) and 20k in 1:24:30 (1:25:19). Just before the half way mark there was a ‘contraflow’ section and I got a shout from christeb and shortly after from cunavalos, and it couldn’t have come at a better time as I was starting to struggle. A normal gel was had just before the 20km water station. I had decided that I wouldn’t take on any of the powerade as I had not tried it in training.

I was happy that some of the course was sheltered from the sun by buildings and the like, and it provided an opportunity to run in the shade and avoid the extra heat from the sun. After the half way mark I got my first shouts of “Come on Ireland” or “go on Raheny” from people in the crowd and that was great, and I returned their encouragement with a smile or a thumbs up.

Another normal gel was had just before the next water station after the 25km mark. I came through 25km in 1:45:43 (still that minute up on the planned 1:46:38). At this stage the pacers were within 10 or 20m of me. Any small drag now was a struggle and I was trying to hold the pace ‘til at least 33km and see what happened after that. Then, as I passed by the 28km marker my calves started to twang with the onset of cramp, so I knew I couldn’t go on at the same pace or it was going to overcome me. I decided to run at as fast a pace as I could while just keeping the cramp at bay. Up to 28km I was still around that minute up on planned pace. I had decided that Powerade would hopefully sort the cramps out and that if so I would then push on back to PMP. 30km couldn’t arrive soon enough to get the Powerade on board, and I passed 30km in 2:07:40, just 18secs quicker than the planned 2:07:58. A few minutes after the Powerade was taken the sense of cramps abated and I tried to push back to PMP but the legs were not responding no matter how hard I tried. I took another Isogel at 32km; and at every water station from then on I was going for Powerade instead of the water to make sure the cramps didn’t come back, which they didn’t. I knew I had slowed considerably but there was no way I could get back up to pace. I could see the minutes slipping by now and at 35km the watch read 2:30:51 (it should have been reading 2:29:18). By 37km I was struggling big time and I was contemplating taking a walking break, but I wouldn’t let myself do that, and I kept the momentum going as best I could. Now when the kids held out there hand for a high five I obliged them, whereas before this I was concentrating more on the run. Every couple of kms as the markers arrived slower and slower, I could see the watch registering another min slower than planned. I took another regular gel just before the next aid station at 37.5km, for all the good it was going to do me then! I came through 40km in 2:56:28, some 6 mins slower than planned (2:50:38). The pace was well and truly knocked out of me at that stage and somewhere around this point Racoon Queen gave me a big shout of encouragement and I could see in her eyes the disappointment for me. I had done my best and was happy to be still running, and ran on to the end wishing the 41km and 42km markers would arrive quicker. 12mins and 18secs after the 40km marker I crossed the line with a wry smile and a small thumbs up. I was happy with the time as I had run to the best of my ability on the day, but it was way off where I thought it was going to be.

After the finish I could feel the pain in my left foot but thankfully I had no pain from it during the run. The only issue I had during the race was a slightly niggle for a few km from my right hip, but nothing too concerning at all. I have been taking glucosamine and condrotin supplements for a good few months now (maybe even a year) and the difference between how the legs felt (the knees in particular) after running DCM09 and Barca11 is a world apart – absolutely no issues with my knees this time round, whereas after DCM09 I couldn’t run for a month after and was in major pain going up and down stairs. This time I had major DOMS on the Sun, Mon and Tues, but yesterday (Wed) I was getting back to normal and would have jogged around the Raheny 1 mile race had I been home from work in time. Today I feel like I could comfortably run a few miles, but I am going to take a well earned break now until March 20th when I will race the 10.6km of the “TourdBoyne”.

There was some craic had in the George Payne Irish Bar on Sunday afternoon. It’s a long time since I had so much drink, but the Coronas were going down far too easy. It was great to meet up with Mr & Mrs Woodle, Meno (aka “Daddy” – after all the organising and helping out he was doing for everyone over the weekend), Rainbow Kirby, Mrs & Mr Racheljev, Sarsfieldsrock, Racoon Queen, cunavalos, Jackyback, Briandrunner, Oisin, theboyblunder, Liam123, xavi olonso (spelling?), christeb and pmqcgc?. I hope I haven’t left anyone out after reaming you all off! Congrats to all of you on your own performances; there were some great runs from ye on the day. I was one of the last to leave the pub and as I walked back to the hotel I asked for directions to a takeaway and my compression socks disappeared from my back pocket (I had been wearing them at the start of the night, but had removed them and placed them in my back pocket). Thanks again to Woddle who kept ringing me on Mon morning to make sure I got up and got the taxi. Only for that I’ld surely have missed my flight and had a bad end to the trip – Cheers.

I didn’t want to over analyse the run, but looking back on my splits I can see that I ran the 5 to 10km section too quick at 4:09/km (6:40/ml) pace; and in general I ran the whole first half quicker than I should have. If I could do it again now, I would run the first half slower. I knew I had to do that, but I can’t figure out why I thought it OK to be running slightly above pace. I am also a bit miffed as to McMillan’s calculated marathon time from my recent races. Maybe I am not as suited to this distance, or maybe I needed to work more on my endurance.

The splits from the website (the end of which reads like a traincrash in slow motion!):

Dist (km) |5km Splits|5km Pace (/km ; /ml)|Cumm Time|Avg Pace Cumm (/km ; /ml)

0 - 5|21:20|4:16 ; 6:52|21:20|4:16 ; 6:52

5 - 10|20:43|4:09 ; 6:40|42:02|4:12 ; 6:46

10 - 15|21:11|4:14 ; 6:49|01:03:13|4:13 ; 6:47

15 - 20|21:17|4:15 ; 6:51|01:24:30|4:14 ; 6:48

20 - 25|21:14|4:15 ; 6:50|01:45:43|4:14 ; 6:48

25 - 30|21:57|4:23 ; 7:04|02:07:40|4:15 ; 6:51

30 - 35|23:12|4:38 ; 7:28|02:30:51|4:19 ; 6:56

35 - 40|25:38|5:08 ; 8:15|02:56:28|4:25 ; 7:06

40 - 42.2|12:18|5:35 ; 9:00|03:08:46|4:28 ; 7:12

Having tried and failed, I have renewed awe for those who have managed to run sub 3. It is something I will have to try for again, but as I have made a promise with Mrs M, I think I will be touching 40 before I have another lash at it. Also a double fair play to anyone who has done or is considering running a marathon at the end of an IM. I can't imagine the physical and mental strength required.

On a positive, it was a very well organised race (excepting the poor pacing), and I would recommend it to anyone, but would add a word of caution on how people will fair out in the sun, after having trained for the marathon in the depths of winter.

Thanks all for your comments, advise, and good wishes to me on this log over the last year and more. It is very much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great report Macanri, while the failure to make your goals hurts for a while you eventually read back on your logs after a few months and instead of disappointment you think wryly to yourself I will get another chance one day.

Life isnt meant to be one achievement after another!

Its nice and early in the year so time to get on yer bike literally and be ready for tri season

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Great report Macanri, while the failure to make your goals hurts for a while you eventually read back on your logs after a few months and instead of disappointment you think wryly to yourself I will get another chance one day.

Life isnt meant to be one achievement after another!

Its nice and early in the year so time to get on yer bike literally and be ready for tri season

Cheers CW.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my time - the main reason being that I gave it my all when push came to shove. I didn't give up, I ran as best I could at that stage - So I can only be happy and satisfied with the time that I got.

Yes, the bike is due an early Easter - a Resurection of sorts. I have signed up for North Tipp Sprint, so that will be my first tri for the year.

I am enjoying the wee break from the training and know that in another week I will be rearing to go.

Now, I better 'wryly' get back to work:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great race and great report Mick. I did not realise you had stayed so late in the pub you mad b@*tard:)
    Enjoy the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great read Mac, well done, and a great time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Great stuff. I'm sure you'll be back better and quicker next time out. Fair play on keeping at it when you saw the target drifting off.

Do you think you had sub 3 in you and things just didn't go right somewhere along the line? Would you do anything different training wise next time out?

You really seemed to get the training spot on and only had the little niggle a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that you didn't get it and reckon you just had an off day. I'd say the sun or something had an effect as you seemed to be feeling the pace early on.

Enjoy the time off and rest Mick. Unlucky but you ll be back again, you defo have sub 3 in you, id echo nomadic's thoughts you had all th right training done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Mick on what I presume was a PB. As I said Weds night, the only person you have to answer to at the end of the day is yourself. You ran your best and never gave up, even when you knew your target was gone. As you said on the day you couldn't have given any more. Yes, big respect to the sub 3'ers but equally big respect to those who have the balls to go out there and die on their feet and not on their knees trying.

You will make your target some day of this I have no doubt and it will be all the sweeter. I've had two failed attempts of note but I've since gone back and completely blew them out of the water, two words Complete Satisfaction.

Here is a link that always helps me, Rocky my old friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E7p3OArf6s

Thanks Lads.
    nomadic wrote: »
    Great stuff. I'm sure you'll be back better and quicker next time out. Fair play on keeping at it when you saw the target drifting off.

Do you think you had sub 3 in you and things just didn't go right somewhere along the line? Would you do anything different training wise next time out?

You really seemed to get the training spot on and only had the little niggle a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that you didn't get it and reckon you just had an off day. I'd say the sun or something had an effect as you seemed to be feeling the pace early on.

Nomadic, they are all very good questions, and I have thought about them earlier. I don't have time to answer them right now, but I will later. It's very hard to put my finger on it as, to why I didn't hit the target. I'll get back to later. Cheers, Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Just the echo the above posts Mick... Great report and nice to meet u before and after the race..... Where would u c it...15,000 people pottering around and the two Boardies meet for the 1st time while watering the local plants :D...

Sub 3 will come in the near future..Ur times for the shorter distances are so much faster than mine so stick with it and ul get there soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cracking report Mick and real kudos for that effort! I feel gutted for you that the super training you did didn't pan out on the day as you had hoped but you still ran brave and clearly dug deep. Yourself and Brianderunner have now put scared the crap out of me putting myself out there for a sub3 attempt later this year but I've no doubt its only a matter of time before you do it :) Well done on your Marathon and enjoy the cycling for a change. With a few bordsies doing the North Tipp Sprint now I feel like I'm missing out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Super report Mac and well done again on a gutsy performace (and also the legendary drinking :p).
    I wouldn't worry too much about the second 5k, looking at most reports, it was everyone's fastest 5k and it was substantially downhill. I'd say the heat got you in the end, maybe carry an extra zym tablet with you in future and take it just after half way?

As for training, I'd say the more long Slow runs (20 miles+) you do the better, but keep most of them very slow so that they don't take too much out of you.

Advertisement