Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great race and great report Mick. I did not realise you had stayed so late in the pub you mad b@*tard:)
    Enjoy the rest.

I had planned to leave a little earlier than I did, but every time I went to leave Meno had another beer lined up - We were drinking 'Damm' at that stage.

Nice meeting you over the weekend - even if you are only a Drogheda blow-in!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fair play for grinding it out and excellent race report. Maybe your not suited to the longer distance, i'm the same. I have pretty much the same slowdown rate as you from 5 miles through the half up to the marathon.

Dyou think you'll still be running those times when you're 64? :D

Well done Mick on what I presume was a PB. As I said Weds night, the only person you have to answer to at the end of the day is yourself. You ran your best and never gave up, even when you knew your target was gone. As you said on the day you couldn't have given any more. Yes, big respect to the sub 3'ers but equally big respect to those who have the balls to go out there and die on their feet and not on their knees trying.

You will make your target some day of this I have no doubt and it will be all the sweeter. I've had two failed attempts of note but I've since gone back and completely blew them out of the water, two words Complete Satisfaction.

Here is a link that always helps me, Rocky my old friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E7p3OArf6s

Cheers El D. I will have to wait til I get home before I can play that vid.
    As a matter of interest, what was the 2 events you didn't hit your target, but later smashed?

Edited: Forgot to answer your initial question:
    Yea it was a good PB of 21mins.
    DCM09 3:29:45
    Barca11 3:08:46

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Macanri wrote: »
    Cheers El D. I will have to wait til I get home before I can play that vid.
    As a matter of interest, what was the 2 events you didn't hit your target, but later smashed?

DC Half Mar 09 - Target 1:35, Actual 1:45
    Larne Half Mar 10 - 1:32

HOFW 09 - Target 2:55, Actual 3:09
    HOTW 10 - 2:30

liamo123 wrote: »
    Just the echo the above posts Mick... Great report and nice to meet u before and after the race..... Where would u c it...15,000 people pottering around and the two Boardies meet for the 1st time while watering the local plants :D...

Sub 3 will come in the near future..Ur times for the shorter distances are so much faster than mine so stick with it and ul get there soon....

Good to meet you too man. I know one way to improve your times over the shorter distances... but it would involve serious effort on your part and a new set of lungs!

Great performance from you in the marathon. Super running, well done.
    Cracking report Mick and real kudos for that effort! I feel gutted for you that the super training you did didn't pan out on the day as you had hoped but you still ran brave and clearly dug deep. Yourself and Brianderunner have now put scared the crap out of me putting myself out there for a sub3 attempt later this year but I've no doubt its only a matter of time before you do it :) Well done on your Marathon and enjoy the cycling for a change. With a few bordsies doing the North Tipp Sprint now I feel like I'm missing out :rolleyes:

Cheers dude. Yea looking forward to NTipp, and looking forward to getting out on the bike too.
    Yea the marathon is a beast of a distance once you're chasing a time.
    As Meno suggested below, If the clock was wound back a week I would defo take 1 and maybe even 2 Zym tablet (or equivalent) with me on the run.
    I have no doubts with the right training you will be able to go sub3. Your running has been great so far this year, so if you build on that after the IM then you should be good to go. Surely your IM training will benefit your following marathon training in terms of endurance.
    I read in your log you have a marathon planned in April as part of the IM training. Which one are you doing?
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Super report Mac and well done again on a gutsy performace (and also the legendary drinking :p).
    I wouldn't worry too much about the second 5k, looking at most reports, it was everyone's fastest 5k and it was substantially downhill. I'd say the heat got you in the end, maybe carry an extra zym tablet with you in future and take it just after half way?

As for training, I'd say the more long Slow runs (20 miles+) you do the better, but keep most of them very slow so that they don't take too much out of you.

Cheers Meno. Good advice for sure.
    I'ld say it will be a while before I run many more 20 milers.
    Fair play for grinding it out and excellent race report. Maybe your not suited to the longer distance, i'm the same. I have pretty much the same slowdown rate as you from 5 miles through the half up to the marathon.

Cheers Brian, I don't know really. It's very hard to pin point what prevented me getting there, probably a combination of factors. Another day maybe!
    I don't know will I be running those times, but I'll surely be singing those lines!!:D Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great read Mac. Sub 3 will be all the sweeter and you'll appreciate it even more when you get it. Based on the times you've run of late, there's no doubt that you have a sub 3 in you. Keep the faith. Also, don't worry about touching 40 for it either. A friend of mine was 40 before they finally cracked sub 3.

El D - you're worse than me for Rocky. Thanks for the link! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done mate. Dont know how i didnt see you at the end, you musta got outa the finish like flynn:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Maybe your not suited to the longer distance, i'm the same. I have pretty much the same slowdown rate as you from 5 miles through the half up to the marathon.

In your case Brian, proper training would help ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

pgibbo wrote: »
    A friend of mine was 40 before they finally cracked sub 3.

l:

yup, me too. the older you get the tougher you get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

You may not have made sub 3 but that is still a cracking result. While I am not at your level I have the same fade pattern in the last five miles so I am interested in your approach to fixing it. I am going to be closer to 50 by the time of my next marathon .... But I atoll dream of PBs ....and maybe a sub3 one day.

• Advertisement

nomadic wrote: »
    Do you think you had sub 3 in you and things just didn't go right somewhere along the line? Would you do anything different training wise next time out?

You really seemed to get the training spot on and only had the little niggle a few weeks ago. I'm surprised that you didn't get it and reckon you just had an off day. I'd say the sun or something had an effect as you seemed to be feeling the pace early on.

Did I think I had sub3 in me. Yes up until I hurt my foot (excuses excuses) I really felt I was going to get the sub3. After hurting the foot on the last 20 miler, just 3 weeks from the race I took a week off more or less, I ran twice, about 6 miles each time. When i was getting back into it I felt I had lost a little of the fitness; maybe it was mind games, but I was definetly running the same paces at a little higher and a little higher HR (~5 beats higher).

Would I do anything different training wise? Yes, I would try a few more 20 mile runs. I would also try to do mre PMP sessions. And lastly, I would consider doing the midweek medium long run, once every 2 weeks rather than once a week; But of course doing the LSR every week. Why? I feel that the high milage training doesn't agree with my joints. ie I start to get niggles. Perhaps if I dropped the midweek Medium SR then the niggles might stay away a bit better.

This is all a bit hypotetical now, but it's good to get the thoughts down none the less. It may benefit me in the future, or benefit someone else in the short term.

Did I have an off day? I don't really think I did, I don't know! meh.:o Yes, I was feeling the pace a lot earlier than I would have liked. Is that an indication that the PMP was too pacey for me? I don't know. Wouldn't it be great if we could have all the answers to all the questions.:cool:

Thinking a bit more.. maybe there is a lot to be said for running a good long base period at HR < Z3. Towards the end of this base block the pace should increase for the same HR, up to a point. Then throwing in some speed work for a few weeks and launching into a marathon plan with PMP sessions each week. Maybe, I'm just thinking too much :)

Thanks again. How is work going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cheers dude. Yea looking forward to NTipp, and looking forward to getting out on the bike too.
    Yea the marathon is a beast of a distance once you're chasing a time.
    As Meno suggested below, If the clock was wound back a week I would defo take 1 and maybe even 2 Zym tablet (or equivalent) with me on the run.
    I have no doubts with the right training you will be able to go sub3. Your running has been great so far this year, so if you build on that after the IM then you should be good to go. Surely your IM training will benefit your following marathon training in terms of endurance.
    I read in your log you have a marathon planned in April as part of the IM training. Which one are you doing?

Well the IM Marathon will be in the heat so I'll have to think about zyms or something too. Its Connemara in a few weeks. Missed a couple of LSRs but I'm only doing it at zone 2 pace. The half there in 2007 was my first ever road race and I undestimated the distance and walked a couple of miles with cramp. Then in 2008 I did the Marathon and again walked for miles as I was ill and went out too fast. Real novice mistakes. So to get the monkey of Conn off my back I just want to run from start to finish with no issues :o

Well the IM Marathon will be in the heat so I'll have to think about zyms or something too. Its Connemara in a few weeks. Missed a couple of LSRs but I'm only doing it at zone 2 pace. The half there in 2007 was my first ever road race and I undestimated the distance and walked a couple of miles with cramp. Then in 2008 I did the Marathon and again walked for miles as I was ill and went out too fast. Real novice mistakes. So to get the monkey of Conn off my back I just want to run from start to finish with no issues :o

Ah yes Conn, I had forgotten it was on then.
    Definitely consider bringing 'salt tablets' with you out on the run in Roth. Anything that can keep the cramps at bay will be gold dust to you.
    As I said you are doing great running and great paces off Z2 HR. I'ld say that poor monkey is going to get the shock of his life.:D No bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Did I think I had sub3 in me. Yes up until I hurt my foot (excuses excuses) I really felt I was going to get the sub3. After hurting the foot on the last 20 miler, just 3 weeks from the race I took a week off more or less, I ran twice, about 6 miles each time. When i was getting back into it I felt I had lost a little of the fitness; maybe it was mind games, but I was definetly running the same paces at a little higher and a little higher HR (~5 beats higher).

Would I do anything different training wise? Yes, I would try a few more 20 mile runs. I would also try to do mre PMP sessions. And lastly, I would consider doing the midweek medium long run, once every 2 weeks rather than once a week; But of course doing the LSR every week. Why? I feel that the high milage training doesn't agree with my joints. ie I start to get niggles. Perhaps if I dropped the midweek Medium SR then the niggles might stay away a bit better.

This is all a bit hypotetical now, but it's good to get the thoughts down none the less. It may benefit me in the future, or benefit someone else in the short term.

Did I have an off day? I don't really think I did, I don't know! meh.:o Yes, I was feeling the pace a lot earlier than I would have liked. Is that an indication that the PMP was too pacey for me? I don't know. Wouldn't it be great if we could have all the answers to all the questions.:cool:

Thinking a bit more.. maybe there is a lot to be said for running a good long base period at HR < Z3. Towards the end of this base block the pace should increase for the same HR, up to a point. Then throwing in some speed work for a few weeks and launching into a marathon plan with PMP sessions each week. Maybe, I'm just thinking too much :)

Thanks again. How is work going for you?

It would be great indeed if we had all the answers. Dam you McMillan, tell us how.

Work is going really well. I haven't had a full day off in about 10 weeks but its good.

Weekly Totals for Week 28 Feb to 06 March

Forgot to put this in - Better late than never.

Swim 2400m
    Run 62.3kms (38.7mls) -8.4, 8.4, 3 & 42.2kmRace

Sun 13 March PM
    Swim 300m

We brought the kids and their wee cousin swimming and I did a few lengths for the craic.

PM Run 4.1km

Having not being able to run more than one step for about 4 weeks after DCM09, I decided I’ld try a run this evening just to see how I faired out. I know I am supposed to be on 2 weeks rest but there was no training thought behind this - it was just purely out of curiosity.
    Done in 21:41, 5:17/km, 8:31/ml, HR 158/166

I have had a stomach pain (like a cramp) since Sat, but am still able to eat; but it causes the stomach to be uncomfortable, so it wasn't conducive to a nice run. Apart from that the calves were a bit tight (hardly surprising as I did no stretching directly after the marathon or during the week). The HR was a bit higher than I’ld have liked.

I again managed to get a run in by dodging the rain – there was a shower just as I was about to head out, but I saw on Met Eireann’s rainfall radar that it was going to pass very shortly, which it did. I waited til it passed and then headed out for a dry run:). Then it started to rain again within an hour of getting in the door. Hah!

Did a good stretch after it.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 300m
    Run 4.1km
    :pac:

We headed down to a hotel in Wicklow from Thurs morning (St Patrick's Day) until yesterday evening (Sat). We brought the wee ones to see the parade in Bray, and then brought them on a few of the rides - happy out. They had an 18m pool in the hotel, so got an odd length or two in when in the pool with the kids - some of these were a type of breast stroke with either one or the two of them on my back, some were not. I did a small swim set on Thurs evening, after the dinner and before having a 2 or 3 pints of the Black Stuff.

So,

Thurs 17th St. Patrick's Day
    Swim 1650m

~200m with the kids.

PM:
    WU 90m (5lengths).
    5 x 198m (11lengths) all under 4:00
    CD 4 x 90m + 36m just to make up the distance.

Fri 18th March PM
    Run 6km

I wanted to get something done before the race on Sunday, to waken the legs up again. I threw in 5 x 100m strides for this purpose.

All done in 27:43, 4:37/km, 7:26/ml.

I had no HRM for this as I left the sports bag sitting on the upstairs hall at home. Mrs M had a good auld snigger at that fact when we arrived at the hotel. But luckily I had brought both my swim shorts and a pair of 'board' shorts and I had packed my Brooks Adrenaline which I use as a casual shoe. So, adding in used T Shirt I was geared to go - and looking like a real jogger!

I had intended to take the 2 weeks off but I suppose since I did the swim session and the run it has meant that my rest was 1 and half weeks - plenty!

I also, got about 300m done in the pool avoiding parents and children, as the only laned part was in use for swimming lessons. Great sigthing practice!

Race report for TourdBoyne 10.3km race to follow. - Grab a cup of scald!

Hard to get time for everything: Better late than never.

tourdBoyne Race Report

The race was at 3pm and I had a bowl of porridge with grapes, and an egg and toast at about 11:30.
    The evening before the race I decided to map the route out on map my ride to see what the elevation was going to be like. Oh Sh!t, a section for about 300m was giving a 4% climb, and this section was within a longer hill of about 2km. Also, the map was giving me a distance of 5.15km rather than the 5.3km stated on the website.
    My planned time was hard to gauge as I felt the marathon may still be in the legs a bit. Considering the hills I thought sub 40 would be a respectable time.

It was only over the last week leading up to it that I had thought that I may be in with a chance of placing and maybe even winning it, but I had been told that there were also going to be a few club runners from Drogheda and Dunleer racing it too. So maybe a placing would be good running in the end.

I dropped Mrs M and the kids off in their cousins in Drogheda, and arrived out to Townley Hall at about 14:20. They had got the use of an old country house and grounds to use as a race base. It was very well laid out. This was their first time running the race, and I have to hand it to them; it was as well organised as many a race I have been at. They had obviously put in a lot of prep work and it was showing on the day. They were well assisted by a good number of Gaurds and patrol cars, and a rake of Civil Defence volunteers. They had organised parking in the field, a pizza van and burger stand in the courtyard, tea, coffee and sandwiches set out with tables and chairs in the “hall”. Cadbury’s Spots & Stripes campaign were keeping the kids entertained with sack races, 3 legged races, treasure hunts etc., the local radio station ‘LMFM’ was pumping out the tunes, - and the sun was shining.

At the registration in the hall I met ‘Glen’ the chip man who I had met several times last year. I had a good bit of banter with him, and he accused me of being a ‘pot grabber’. I assured him that my primary reason for entering the race was in support of Development Perspectives’ great work in educating people on third world issues!
    I went and got changed into my Raheny singlet, and was wearing my Brooks Racers. I did a few minutes of a jog and added in a stride or two. Then did some dynamic stretching and I was good to go. We had to walk up an avenue out to the north end of the estate and onto the Tullyallen Road. There looked to be about 70 or 80 people in all running/walking it. We were called to the start mats and I positioned myself on the front row. I asked the bloke next to me what time he was aiming for – 45mins. 5,4,3,2, 1 Go. And himself and another were away like the clappers. I started quick too as a result but reined it back almost immediately, and within a minute I was about 5m off their backs, in third position. After the first turn there was a bitch of a short sharp hill. ‘OK, don’t go mad, just ease up it or you’ll be fecked for the rest of the race.’ This I did and I was passed by 4. After this 50m we turned again, onto the long drag, and I passed the lads that had led it out, so there were 4 in front now. There was a slight wind here and I was happy enough to just tuck in behind these 4. The first 2 lads seemed to be handling the hills better than the rest of us and were stretching ahead slightly. After a while I passed the back 2 and was about 10 or 15m behind the first 2 lads. I was happy enough there and continued to run up the hill in medium to high gear. My HR was in the high 180s – where it stayed for most, if not all, of the race. They continued to increase the gap over the hills and down the 2 steep descents where you had to literally just move the legs as fast as possible to get down it. Running downhill is not my forte that’s for sure. Shortly then we turned back on to the Tullyallen Road and were covering the last km of the first lap back to the timing mats.
    It was going to be about 2km along the Tullyallen Road from one turn to the other, and it was fairly flat, so I decided to be back up with the lads by the time we turned the first turn again and up the steep short hill. The plan was to then sit with them no matter what until we got back to the flat finishing section. So I upped the pace just slightly and after a couple of hundred metres I had reeled in and passed the 2nd placed lad. I slowly but surely gained on the first bloke, and I felt good and was running within myself more or less, so I decided that when I did catch up with the lead guy that I would continue on past him at the same pace and see what he responded with. He was in the lead crossing the timing mats and I crossed just after him in about 19:40ish. I passed him with about 300m to go before we came to the first turn again. He kept with me for about 150m and then started to drop back a bit. I could hear him, but there was no way I was going to look back (because then he’ld know I was worried). This time round I pushed a bit going up the hill, and then turned the next corner and continued working away as best I could up the next long drag. I was hurting now, but at least I couldn’t hear him behind me now, so was happy with that; but I still wasn’t looking behind in case he was too close. After about another km, at the next bend in the hill I took a quick look over my shoulder and he was about 100 or 150m behind – feckin’ nice one, I could now take the foot of the gas to let the HR settle down from the 190 back to the high 180s. I was still hurting but this was worth it, I was feckin’ in the lead, hah. The next Civil Defence people I met I asked them for water – they had none. Then a few minutes later a bloke came up behind me on a bike and said “how are you getting’ on?”. He frightened the feckin sh!te out of me and I let a “F*ck sake” out of me, and explained to him that I thought he was the other lad! He offered me water which I gladly accepted, and thanked him for it, and he was away again. Every half km or so now I was looking back over my shoulder to see if yourman was gaining any ground – he wasn’t really as far as I could tell. So I plugged away knowing that I was going to be over the top of the hill and half way down the other side before he got over the top of the hill and onto the downhill section. When I turned back onto the Tullyallen Road for the finishing stretch he was well behind. I got another sup of water here form one of the Civil Defence girls. I kept the pace up now as I was nearly there and was back on the flat. Once you get over a little crest in the road you can see the finish mats and the small crowd about 400 or 500m ahead. I looked back and he was nowhere near me, it was in the bag.

My mates who were organising it copped the colours and knew it was me. They were roaring their heads off – “Go on M...” With about 250m to go I put the welly down and sprinted for the line “Go on M…, you’re flying”. I glanced at the watch and it was reading 39:50, and knew I wouldn’t squeeze under 40mins, but I charged on regardless and crossed the line, just as I changed my grimace to a smile and lifted the hands in victory.

Nice to win one.

The lads were all handshakes and congrats and it was some buzz. I checked the time with Glen and it was 40:01. So, 6:15/ml or 3:53/km and HR of 187av and 191mx.

I headed back to the hall after I had clapped for the next 10 or 12 runners as they crossed the line.

I had to ring Mrs M and explain to her that I was going to be a bit later than planned (having promised to be straight back) as they were giving a prize to the first 3. I got a great prize of a year’s free membership in the Aura gym in either Drogheda, Trim or Navan; Aura being one of the main sponsors. Unfortunately, it would be a bit far to travel, so will see if they can offer an alternative, and if not I will give it to one of the family who will make use of it.
    Had a great time and it was great to catch up with heads that I hadn’t seen in a long time, some of whom were also running it to support the charity. A good day out had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

SWEET!! Nice report too, congrats on your win Mac. Between reading yours and Nomadics reports now I'm half tempted to focus on only running or cycling next winter :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done, that will do nicely after the marathon, is that your first win in anything like this. Did you do an acceptance speech :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats dude. What's it like on the top step? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fantastic stuff, Macanri... Congratulations! That winning feeling must be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Super stuff Mac, raging i could not get down to support it as i had to go to a birthday party. Well done on the win!!

SWEET!! Nice report too, congrats on your win Mac. Between reading yours and Nomadics reports now I'm half tempted to focus on only running or cycling next winter :cool:

Cheers man. Well happy with the win. I had to push myself to get it so it didn't come easy - which I'm glad of; as if it felt easy, I'ld feel like I cheated!
    I wouldn't go planning anything drastic yet - I still have to race my first tri of the year - now that will be a whole different ballgame.
    I know nomadic has been focusing on cycling, but at least he has still managed to keep some form of running and swimming going.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Well done, that will do nicely after the marathon, is that your first win in anything like this. Did you do an acceptance speech :o
    Cheers CW. Ehh, No speech. :p Yea first time to win a race. Had came 2nd in a Raheny Fit4Life League 2 mile race.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Congrats dude. What's it like on the top step? :cool:
    Cheers, I may enjoy the view from the 'top step' - I don't expect to be there long!
    ronanmac wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff, Macanri... Congratulations! That winning feeling must be great!

Yea it was great to cross the line first ahead of the rest of the field.
    Super stuff Mac, raging i could not get down to support it as i had to go to a birthday party. Well done on the win!!
    Cheers man. I knew when I read on your log that you were planning on doing the Sportsman Duathlon that you weren't going to be around. But there's always next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

O great report and great win! So few of us will ever actually know what that feels like, to break the tape, to be number one. Special stuff Mac and after the winter you put in you deserve in more than anyone! Like MCOS I think I will have to re-focus my training next winter....mmmm maybe swimming ;)

To win....just once..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ver0lMNMgw

Weekly Totals W/End 20 Feb
    Swim 1950 - 200, 1450, 300
    Run 17km - 6, 10.3k race + WU.

Mon 21 Mar AM
    Swim 2350m LC

Arrived to the NAC and met some of the Naas lads doing an easy IM swim so jumped in the lane with them.

3 x 100m WU
    4 x 400, as [400 FS, 400w/fins]x2
    100 w/ paddle
    CD 350 (in 50s and 100s)

The 400 FS were coming in around 7:50, so not to hot, but I was a bit wasted from Sun. The lads had paddles and were using them for some lengths. I tried them for 100 for the craic to see what they were like - a good work out for the arms anyway, and I could see where the could be beneficial in helping to iron out any dead spots in the catch and pull phase. I noticed I wasn't finishing my pull fully.
    At the end of that 100, one of the lads suggested that I was looking up too much when breathing. He gave me some great tips/advice on improving that. He said to focus on looking at the wall so that I wasn't turning my head too much when breathing, because this was causing my shoulder to drop and slow me down and possibly causing me to 'snake' a bit in the water. He said ideally one eye should be in the water and one out - that's how little I should be turning to breath. He reckoned I should try it and give it time especially on my WU lengths. I tried it on the cool down lengths and it definately felt better. I will try to focus on this a bit for the next while, when in the water.

Mon PM
    BIKE 33km

At long last I took the bike out from hibernation and gave it a spin on the blacktop. I did 2 loops around my run route as it was under street light. The bike has weathered well over the winter and there were no squeeks or clinks out of it - it was if I only put it away last week, so that's good. I put some lube on the chain before I headed out. There is some difference between the time taken to get ready to go out for a run and the time needed to get out on the bike. I must have been 20 or 30 mins getting geared up, pumping the tyres, putting on the lights.

I had planned on taking it nice and handy and ease myself back into the cycling, and use it also as some form of recovery after the race on Sun. The first few kms were tough going enough. After that it wasn't too bad and I started to give it a bit of welly. I couldn't help it. The loop was along the coast by Clontarf and up the Malahide Road which has a bit of a rise and then over towards Kilbarrack and around again. I felt fairly good heading up the Malahide Road, so thats positive, as I thought I'ld be dying.
    The odometer is still playing up and only recorded 7km of the spin; pain in the arse. I didn't start my HRM either until about 7km in, so all my figures are approx. EDIT: I stayed down in the tri bars for a good bit of it ~75% or so. But I could feel it in the back on Tues evening as I reached in to the cot to put the young man to bed.

It was a nice evening to get back onto the bike as it was dry, mild and with virtually no wind. My arse was in bits at the end though. And the pain in the outside of my feet that I used to get after the cycles last year was back, and is more painfull than the saddle soreness. I'ld love to know what the cause of the foot pain is - Anybody got any contacts for someone who may know? Maybe I need to get a bike set up done!

I would have been happy with around 25 or 26kph for the spin, but my rough figures throw up an avg speed of 28.3kph. Not too bad, but I think I need to take my next few cycles a bit handier and build a bit of base before I go pushing on. The rough figures are 33km in 1hr10min, HR 155av, 173mx. Towards the end of last year a similar loop with a similar HR was being done at 31kph avg, so that's an indication of where I am and where I have to get to (or beyond).

It will be interesting to see what that bike does to my SBR Table standings - I don't understand the way it's working this year, not a straightforward as simple maths anymore:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mac, i assume you are using cleats/clip ons? It could be as simple as the cleats positioned too far back or forward on your shoe. I had a similiar pain when i started cycling and played about with the cleat position and hey presto the foot pain was gone.

Yea I was thinking of adjusting them again - maybe bringing the front of my foot more over the pedals. I don't know - I played around with them a fair bit last year and it improved a bit. I have the cleats on the shoes in the same position since the end of last year, in what I had thought was optimum for reduced soreness last year, but maybe I just got used to them and the pain?

It really is a bit of a mystery and a bit mind boggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done Mac, Brill win. Give up the biking and swimming and you never know where it could lead !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi Mac,

Just catching up. Great to get a win and good to see you back on the bike again. Re the foot pain - never had it myself so cant advise really but what better excuse to buy a new pair of shoes! or have you tried a second set? Maybe you arent getting enough support.

Maybe ask in the cycling forum, give details of the shoes, pedal type and degree of float and someone might help you out.

Advertisement