Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey Mac, any pics of your first win??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Thanks for the posts lads. I'm getting very little time for Boards at the minute. I was all upto date over the weekend - now I'm days and hundreds of posts behind!:rolleyes:
    O great report and great win! So few of us will ever actually know what that feels like, to break the tape, to be number one. Special stuff Mac and after the winter you put in you deserve in more than anyone! Like MCOS I think I will have to re-focus my training next winter....mmmm maybe swimming ;)

To win....just once..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ver0lMNMgw

Cheers dude. Well I can't see myself winning many really competitive races - maybe the odd charity one.:D I'm sure there are a fair few on these Boards who have won races on their day - I can think of a few.
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Well done Mac, Brill win. Give up the biking and swimming and you never know where it could lead !!!
    Haha, thanks man. Sure isn't it great cross training!:p
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hi Mac,

Just catching up. Great to get a win and good to see you back on the bike again. Re the foot pain - never had it myself so cant advise really but what better excuse to buy a new pair of shoes! or have you tried a second set? Maybe you arent getting enough support.

Maybe ask in the cycling forum, give details of the shoes, pedal type and degree of float and someone might help you out.

Good idea, I will do when I get a chance. Re, buying a new pair of shoes - - - - just because you have spent all your Christmas money on bike bling doesn't mean we all have to. LOL.:D. Seriously, yea it's defo worth trying out a different pair. But the shoes I have, I would consider to have a fairly stiff sole.
    Hey Mac, any pics of your first win??
    Call me paranoid, but I don't like posting pics of myself on the interweb! Why? I have no idea!:o But if you want to see one go to the Development Perspectives facebook wall and you can't miss me - I'm the one in the Raheny gear.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great run - great report. So soon after Barca as well. Impressive - enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats on the win. Delighted for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

just read your great barca repoprt Macanri. Great to meet you after 3:08 is a great time - you will get sub 3 the next time. You definitely have the speed over shorter distances. Just work on the Mrs first to have another shot soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

YEAH check you out - top of the podium!! Sweet win Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Super performance Macanri so soon after Barca....Ur one quick dude!!!!

Thanks Lads.

Wed 23 Mar PM
    Run 12.4km

I decided on a progression run:
    2.9km in 14:14, 4:54/k, 7:54/m, HR~155av
    3.15km in 14:46, 4:41, 7:33, HR~166av
    2.75km in 12:40, 4:36, 7:25, HR~175av
    3.15km in 12:55, 4:06, 6:36, HR~183av
    0.45km in 2:23, 5:18, 8:31, HR dropped from 183 to 160.

O/A 12.4km in 56:58, 4:36/km, 7:24/ml, HR 172av, 186mx

A good run, but I was wondering if since I am doing base on the bike should I be doing base on my run too? Or does it matter if you mix it up?

Thurs 24 Mar AM
    Group Swim LC 2000m

2x100
    WU 50FS, 50BkSt, 50FS, 50OneArm
    6 x [200 off 4:15, +50 easy]
    100 CD

Had to hop out early as I was heading to the midlands for a meeting. Should have been 7 x on the main set. The 400s came in on 3:47, 43, 37, 34, 44, 37 - Happy enough with that.

Sat 26 Mar AM
    Swim 1300m (20m pool)

I brought the wee one for her swimming lesson and did a few 200s during her lesson. I had spoken to her on the way about not holding on to the side of the pool or the ropes. After her lesson she proudly told me that she didn't hold on. That's the girl.

2 x 100WU
    5 x 200 off 4:00
    100 CD

200s done in around 3:25 to 3:40. The arms were feeeling it though.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 5650m - 2350, 2000, 1300
    Bike 33km
    Run 12.4km

I had made a promise with Mrs M that I would not run a marathon for a number of years (without specifying the no. of years). I intend to stick to that promise. We also had a chat about me reducing the amount of hours spent training for the tris, in comparison to last years training volume. Since then I have been thinking about not doing a HIM this year. We got some news on Thurs which will impact on the volume of training for the foreseeable future. So I will be playing it by ear for the next few weeks at least.

Hey Mac, I hope the news is good news. I know all about the promises too and really you have to stick to them (although I recently wiggled my way out of one - successfully ;)) I love the OD and especially SP (still my fav distance) so there is a lot of really good races out there to keep you going anyway.

Anyway hope all is well and I will be in Raheny Weds night for the first day light winter league race so see you if you are there dude.

Cheers El D. Hopefully will see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Macanri did anyone ever tell you, you look like that farmer outa fair city:D:D:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Macanri did anyone ever tell you, you look like that farmer outa fair city:D:D:D

I had to think who the farmer in Fair City was - I have it sussed now. But eh, No, but there's always a first!

Now how do you like your cabbage - dark green or light green?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Macanri wrote: »
    I had to think who the farmer in Fair City was - I have it sussed now. But eh, No, but there's always a first!

Now how do you like your cabbage - dark green or light green?:p
    Im a meat man:D

Wed 30 Mar PM
    Run Raheny 2 Mile Race

There was only one plan for this - race it!
    I was thinking I would be happy with sub 11:30, my PB for this course being 11:14. Did a WU with 1 of the lads and a few of the lassies form the club. Then met El D and had a natter, and did a couple of strides with him. He was sporting his Saucony racers, I was kitted out in full club gear and had my Brooks racers on the ready.

Away we went and I was in 5th going a little too quick. After the first bend I was passed by 2 lads, so now running in 7th. As I came towards the end of the first lap I could hear the marshals encouraging us and knew that R. was not to far behind. Came through the mile in 5:31, and not feeling too bad, so I thought I was on for the PB. Held the pace well (or so I thought) I was staying ahead of R. who was a bit behind giving that I couldn't hear him breath, but could hear his feet. The on the last straight I could hear the marshals shout on JF. I picked it up for the last 2 or 300m and came in on 11:18, just 4 secs shy of my PB... Happy days, a good run.

So 2miles in 11:18, 3:32/km, 5:39/ml, HR 190av, 196mx.

Did a lap CD with El D and then back to the clubhouse for a short while before I jogged home. Great to get out. The calves were feeling it more or less straight after the race, so did a good stretch at home.

Thurs 31 Mar AM
    Group Swim LC 2000m

Race Simulation Session:

WU 100, 50LArm, 50RArm, 100 BkSt.
    4x50 OWStart (25hard, 25easy),
    2[2x100easy, 3x75med, 4x50hrd],
    100FS w/ fast legs,
    3x50 BkSt, BrSt, FS.

Due to the 75s we had to stop in middle of pool for some of main set where we sculled for 10 or 15 secs before we were off again. Tough enough.

As a comparison for the first 3 months of this year and last year:

2010 Totals:
    Swim 28,450m (17th)
    Bike 405.2km (16th)
    Run 178km (20th) OA 53pts

2011 Totals:
    Swim 44,900m (13th)
    Bike 33.0km (not a typo) :( (30th)
    Run 695.5km (not a typo) :) (3rd) OA 46pts

Sat 02 Apr AM
    Swim 1100m (20m pool)

I brought the wee one for her swimming lesson again so got a small swim in. Only had a 25 min window this time as we were a wee bit late.

100WU
    9 x 100 off 2:00
    100 CD

Don't know what the times were, a nice swim though.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 3100m - 2000, 1100
    Bike 0km
    Run 8.6km incl 2 mile race.

A low milage week.

Monthly Totals - March
    Swim 13100m
    Bike 33km
    Run 96km

Mon 04 Apr PM
    Bike 31.3km, Run 1km

Headed out on the bike when I got the chance. I did the same route as 2 weeks ago - a 2 loop ride. I had intended to take it handy, but failed at that. There was a headwind along the coast so I pushed on through it with my HR up in the low 170s - too high. On a plus side, I stayed down in the tri bars for 90% of it. Can't seem to be able to take it handy on the bike. I find I'm spinning away and then I move up a gear and spin some more, then up another gear, and before long my HRs up, and the glasses are steaming up! A good ride though. The av HR of 167 is much higher than 2 weeks ago (av155HR), for the same av of 28.4km/hr. hmmm. Well it was more windy tonight. The feet were a little sore, but not as bad as last time. 31.3km, av28.4km/h, mx44.5km/h, HR 167/181.
    I decided I would do a loop of the estate when I came in, which is the first brick of the year :). Legs felt grand, but the breathing was a bit heavy. 1km in 3:48, or 6:07/ml. HR 168av/175mx.

I think the odometer stayed functioning for most of it tonight so the 33km from last time should read 31.3km. So will just add 29.6km to the SBR table for todays bike. Which would mean that the av km from 2 weeks ago was actually, 26.8kph, so that's the higher HR sorted! Enough rambling:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Any idea what tri's you ll do this year?

Give that bike some more loving!

I have booked a table for two for me and the bike! :)

Have signed up to North Tipp Sprint (30 April). HAd looked at doing a few more of the NS races, but now I'm thinking of picking races closer to home.

Will defo do Pulse Clogherhead sprint (NS this year), and Carlingford OD and Lough Neagh OD, as these were all great localish races last year - and it will give me a bench mark as to how far behind I am this year!

What one are you doing yourself? ;)

How's the road rash healing up? And hows your back now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I have booked a table for two for me and the bike! :)

Good man. make sure to lube it up first!
    Have signed up to North Tipp Sprint (30 April). HAd looked at doing a few more of the NS races, but now I'm thinking of picking races closer to home.

Will defo do Pulse Clogherhead sprint (NS this year), and Carlingford OD and Lough Neagh OD, as these were all great localish races last year - and it will give me a bench mark as to how far behind I am this year!

Ahead im sure you meant above. your running is miles ahead and if you do a few spins and get down with the bike im sure you ll be flying. I wont even pretend to know about the swimming
    What one are you doing yourself? ;)

Yeah about that .... i might have to find a team for a relay or put on some armbands for the swim!
    How's the road rash healing up? And hows your back now?

Road rash is grand, nearly all scabby so happy days.

The physio bet the s'hite out of me and my back but seen as she is a bit tasty i just thought of it as S & M.

Tender today but hoping it will pay off tomorrow.

More torture thursday night.

With a bit of luck i ll be throwing my leg over early next week (the bike that is)

Yeah about that .... i might have to find a team for a relay or put on some armbands for the swim!

It's never to late to learn. I reckon you'ld be good for a late season sprint distance.

Road rash is grand, nearly all scabby so happy days.

The physio bet the s'hite out of me and my back but seen as she is a bit tasty i just thought of it as S & M.

Tender today but hoping it will pay off tomorrow.

More torture thursday night.

With a bit of luck i ll be throwing my leg over early next week (the bike that is)

LOL.

• Advertisement

Wed 06 Apr AM
    Swim 2500m LC

The plan was to do a few easy lengths and throw a 400, 200 and 100 TT in the mix. I met up with the lads and they were doing 18 x 100s, with paddles, fins and what not, so I decided to stick to my plan.

WU 4x100,
    400 in 7:12 (1:48/100) PB,
    2x100easy,
    200 in 3:40 (1:50/100),
    2x100ea,
    100 in 1:33 PB:),
    1000 (in 100s and 200)

So 2 PBs in the pool on one morning. Happy with that.
    Don't know what it is about the 200s but I never seem to be able to get the times down on them. Don't know whether I go out too fast and fade or go out too easy and can't make it up. Probably the former. But I did them right Thurs morning. Funny that I did the 400 in 1:48/100 and the 200 in 1:50/100.
    When I look at the 400 time of 7:12, I can't understand how I was able to swim an 800 TT in 13:20 last year (1:40/100). I have a feeling I must have counted the lengths wrong, 700 in 13:20 is 1:54/100.?

Wed PM
    9.2km Run Brian Holland Cup Raheny

This was a 2.76mile race around Raheny. It's a handicap race where anyone can win regardless of their position. The race was taking in the exact path of my recovery loop - but in reverse.

WU 2.2km

The race was tough from the start and R who I finished ahead of last week was running with W and they were about 10m ahead. I was happy enough to stay that distance wawy from them and just keep the gap from opening up anymore than that. christeb was around the course on his yellow fixie space mobile, giving encouragement to all the runners.

Around the 1.8mile point where the race turns up the Howth Road I was under a bit of pressure, christeb encouraged me to take R on the hill, which I did over a few hundred metres, I could not get W. I was feeling it big time when christeb was urging me on again. (in truth though, at that stage I felt like telling him to F off:D:o) No offence man - I was in pain!! I never did catch W, but was happy to cross the line under 16mins in 15:58. 11th position.

This race was about the 50th running of it, and tonight the course record was broken by a few seconds by a super runner from the club, only a young lad - one to watch for sure. He may yet run for Ireland, I kid you not.

In the club house later I met a girl from near Drogheda who is a club member, and who knows friends of mine who were also running in the recent 'TourdBoyne' - a small world.

2.76km in 15:58, 5:47/ml, 3:36/km, HR 185av/196mx.

Thurs 07 Apr AM
    Group Swim LC 2700m

I was a little early so did 3 x 100. Then
    WU 200 PBouy-touch, 100BkSt, 100FS.
    5x200 desc (3:55, 47, 37, 35, 33PB),
    18 x 50 (25 sprint, 25ea),
    100 Pbouy-touch (I was cramping on the kicks so stuck the Pbouy between the legs!)

Not sure what my 200 PB was before this, but I have now got it to 3:33 (1:46.5/100). Surely that's up for another few seconds off - you would think I should be able to do 2 back to back sub 1:46s? Its a strange one.

When he told us the next set was 18 x 50 we were not impressed, but it wasn't too bad in the end. I found the pull bouy touch good. you had to touch the top of the pull bouy near your bum, teaching us to finish out the stroke.

Fri 08 Apr PM
    Bike 37km

Last year when I got the bike I got a Cat Eye Computer (wireless with cadence), but it had been on the blink alot. They exchanged it for a 'Sigma' a fine piece of German engineering. I couldn't wait to get out on the bike this evening, and had a really enjoyable spin. The weather obviously helps. Did Raheny, Sutton X, Portm, Malahide, Estuary Rd (too many bumpy ramps), N1, Santry, Killester and home.

Took it slightly easier: HR 161av, 179mx, 30kph av, 40.9kph mx, av Cad 101. Good cadence as I was in the small ring for most of it. I stayed on the bars for 95% of it. Nice to get out around the country side - ish away from having to stop at traffic lights every couple of km.

Was contemplating a run off the bike, but didn't bother. I moved the cleats back so that they were closer to my mid foot, which helped the feet a little, but they were still fairly sore immediately after the bike.

I was checking the entry list for N Tipp Sprint. I see some of the competitors will be mloc and tunney! Guess I won't be coming first so:p.

Sun 10 Apr PM
    Run

On Sat I brought the 2 of the kids to the lesson, so was minding them, so no swim. Then in the afternoon I cut down a mid size Horsechestnut tree from the Mother-in-laws back garden. The arms were in a heap yesterday after that.

We had dinner in the m-i-l's yesterday and I had extra helpings of everything for the good work done. The dinner was around 17:30 so when I got the wee lad to bed and out for the run, the dinner in the stomach made for an unpleasant bloated feeling.
    All done in 1:02:17, 5:02/km, 8:08/ml, HR 159av/172mx. I pushed it for the last km. A nice evening for a run, a little warm, but nice.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 5200m - 2500, 2700m
    Bike 68.3km - 31.3, brick 37km
    Run 22.6km - 1km Brick, 9.2, 12.4km

2 of each, not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

more silverware for the big mac - well done on the League victory. 5:15 for the mile, solid going

+1 Well done Mac, just read on the Raheny website, solid throughout the winter, well deserved. Div 1 nextyear will be no bother to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Great running mac, sub 5 next year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I was checking the entry list for N Tipp Sprint. I see some of the competitors will be mloc and tunney! Guess I won't be coming first so:p.
    Ah you will beat those 2, its Bambaata that you might have trouble with :)
    Nice one winning the running league, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done last night Mac. Nice win there.

PS. Love the photo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats on the league win!!

As i said to you MCOS I can think of at least 6 or 7 other lads who will be hard to beat!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

its Bambaata that you might have trouble with :)

I have a feeling Bambaata might do quite well. Mac I presume you are in wave 6 or 7? I'm in 5 and I'd imagine you'll still be out of the water before me :o

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    more silverware for the big mac - well done on the League victory. 5:15 for the mile, solid going

Cheers lad, Are you nearly there injurywise? How much longer before you reckon you'll get back on your feet?
    +1 Well done Mac, just read on the Raheny website, solid throughout the winter, well deserved. Div 1 nextyear will be no bother to ya!

Cheers El D, Don't know about Div 1. 1st, 2nd & 3rd ran 4:57, 5:01 and 5:04 respectively, so would be a bit too quick for me. Anyway, I'll get this year over with first.;)
    foleyalan wrote: »
    Great running mac, sub 5 next year!!!
    I don't know, it would be fairly tough going to get in under 5.

I don't know about that, but I'll give it a lash.
    Just to clarify I won the 2nd div. The Premier div was won with a time of 4:24 for the mile.:eek:
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Well done last night Mac. Nice win there.

PS. Love the photo !
    Cheers man.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Congrats on the league win!!

As i said to you MCOS I can think of at least 6 or 7 other lads who will be hard to beat!! ;)
    Cheers Bambaata, I'll drop you a text on the day. How's training being going for you?
    mloc123 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Bambaata might do quite well. Mac I presume you are in wave 6 or 7? I'm in 5 and I'd imagine you'll still be out of the water before me :o
    I have no doubt Bam will do quite well - sure doesn't he always :)
    I'm in the same wave as yourself mloc, but on the other side of the pool. If I do get out of the water before you, I expect you'll be passing me shortly after on the bike. ButI'll be looking for you on the run:).
    I think I heard/read that the swim is in a 50m pool. Can you shed any light on that?
    I must drop you a PM before the day, and say hello.
    Looking forward to the first tri of the season, TI card arrived this evening.

Advertisement