Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Macanri wrote: »
    Cheers lad, Are you nearly there injurywise? How much longer before you reckon you'll get back on your feet?

Hoping to get back for the Duathlon on 4th May, then have the Mt Leinster 140k on the bike on 14th. No major running planned for the rest of the year, just DCM pacing if they want me. A few duathlons and cycles this Summer, we better get some good weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Its a 25m pool im afraid. Quite warm too with the amount that do be in there!

Training going well and North Tipp is the weekend of a training week so hoping to well enough. Podium would be a step too far i think though as i know some of the stronger guys and know that they are supposedly going better this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

christeb wrote: »
    Hoping to get back for the Duathlon on 4th May, then have the Mt Leinster 140k on the bike on 14th. No major running planned for the rest of the year, just DCM pacing if they want me. A few duathlons and cycles this Summer, we better get some good weather!

Very good, A bit surprised you're turning towards the bike - not knocking it - just surprised. KennyB3 eat your heart out. :D You will obviously still be tipping away with the running seen as you'll be doing a few duathlons too. Great stuff - sure we'll get you into the pool yet, and drag you kicking and screaming over to the dark side:p.
    Yea, hopefully the weather stays good for the summer - shaping up nicely so far.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Its a 25m pool im afraid. Quite warm too with the amount that do be in there!

Training going well and North Tipp is the weekend of a training week so hoping to well enough. Podium would be a step too far i think though as i know some of the stronger guys and know that they are supposedly going better this year too.

25m, yea I had a feeling it would be.

Good to hear the trainings going well. I see you're in wave 6, ya speed demon ya. My target may just well be to cross the line before you :o, considering I'll be in wave 5 and may have about 15 or 20mins headstart.

Mon 11 Apr PM
    Bike 43.5km

A handy spin 28.7kph av, 47.7mx, 95 avCAD, HR 154av.

Wed 13 Apr AM
    Swim LC 2600m

WU 2 x 100,
    5 x 200 (did the 1st off 4:30, too much, so rest off 4:15) (3:52, 47, 44, 45, 37)
    2 x 100
    50 kick
    50 Pull & Touch
    5 x 100 off 2:00 (1:47, 50, 48, 52, 52) Tough
    CD 4 x 100, 100 Pull & Touch, 100

Wed PM
    Raheny 1 Mile Race
    Total with WU 7.2km

The last race of the WInter League, and if I finished ahead of the other contenders in Division 2 then I was on for topping the division. I knew them all to see, except PC, so I asked around and eventually found out what he looked like. I met up with El D again, who had a great race too, and I pointed him out to ElD too.
    I was running behind R. for about half it and then passed by him. I stuck a few yards off a Raheny vest (not in Div 2 as far as I knew), then about 100m before turning the corner for the last 400m or so I picked up the pace and passed him. Came accross the line in 5:15, 18th/54 runners. 3:16/km pace. HR 183av, 191mx. The av would be about right as it would take a few hundred m to get up, but the last few races the HR hit 196, so maybe I had more to give.

I headed back to the club house for the usual coffee and biscuit, and them presented the plagues to 1 2 & 3 in each division. They even had made up a podium :).

Thurs 14 Apr AM
    Group Swim 2700m LC

El D arrived to join the group - running slightly late and joining in the WU :)

2 x 100 early,
    WU 100FS, 100BkSt, 50LArm, 50 RArm, 100FS - all w/ fins
    800 No Walls
    4 x 100 descending (2:00, 1:59, 53, 44)
    400 No Walls
    8 x 50 (2 x 50ea, 50md, 50hd, 50vhd)
    50 kick, 50 Pull & Touch

I was fairly wrecked at the end having pushed a bit on the 800 as El D was behind me. At the end I said that to him, and he said he was taking it steady and concentrating on a long stroke. :eek:

Thurs LTime
    Run Tempo 11.9km

Headed out at lunchtime for a run along the canal. There was no soft muck so got back with clean runners. The tempo sections were not timed, I just ran to HR, so 3.6km @ ~181av, and 2km @ ~179av.

Tot in 51:55, 4:22/km, 7:01/ml, HR 169av, 182mx.

Fri 15 Apr AM
    Bike Commute 27km to work

Took it steady enough on the way in. 29.8kph av, 53.3mx, 97 av CAD. HR 154/170

Fri PM Bike Commute Home

TT it home. 26.7km, 34.1kph av, 52.7mx, 100av CAD, HR 162/176.
    Came through 20km in about 34mins (35.3kph av), the traffic in town held me up.

Sun 17 Apr AM
    Bike/Run Brick

A Sprint distance brick.
    Bike 24.5km, 32.4kph av, 44.1mx, 99 avCAD, HR 164/177
    Run 4.13km, 15:51, 3:50/km, 6:10/ml, HR 174/183.

Nice to be hitting sub 4 min ks off the short bike.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 5300m - 2600, 2700
    Bike 121.7km - 43.5, 27, 26.7, 24.5(brick)
    Run 23.2km - 7.2km (incl 1 mile Race), 11.9km, 4.1km(brick)
    7 Sessions.

Mon 18 Apr PM
    Long Bike 73.1km

All you IM don't be laughing at 73km as a long bike. :)

The plan was to head out and find some roads I haven't been on before, keeping the HR below 155 and hoping to go over the half century in distance.

I ended up heading out the N side of the airport, onto the road for Naul, into Naul, onto Balbriggan and back the old N1. Heading from Naul to Balbriggan it was about 9pm so was getting dark, and I had some dark spots on the old N1 to contend with. An enjoyable soin all the same.

73.1km, 2:20:44, 31.2kph av, 67.1mx (coming down the hill into Naul village - didn't risk staying on the tri bars, just in case I needed to break suddenly). 95av CAD, HR 154/173.

By the end I had sore feet, a sore back, sore legs and a sore a... What sort of a sadist invented the modern racing bike???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

For someone who is only back on the bike your flying along.

For someone who is only back on the bike your flying along.

Cheers JB. Yea, fairly happy with the bike at present. Although I think I probably should be giving myself more base miles, I can't help pushing it on the bike sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Yea fecking hell your motoring!

nomadic wrote: »
    Yea fecking hell your motoring!

Cheers, but I have been on flat enough land; any hills could only really be considered rollers. Wheras, you are hitting 31 or 32 kph on a cycle which includes a couple of trips up hills like Strawberry beds, Knockmarron Lane etc. - Animal stuff.

For me, I think N Tipp sprint is fairly flat, so I have not worried too much about hills for now. I will do a few Howth loops after N Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Mac,

On the sore feet thing. Is it on the outside part of under the foot or where exactly?

I never suffered with foot pain before but after the crash the new shoes (which were fine before) left my right foot sore on the first few rides back. Weird i thought.

Anyway seen as i ve only been lobbing along gently i had a play around, and found that if i opened the straps fully and rode with my foot lose the pain went after 5mins or so. So plenty of messing later i discovered i can go to within about one notch of where i did before and be fine. I ll prob get back to even tighter after a couple of months riding.

So id guess the shoes are too tight on you.

I thought id give you the big boring explanation as there is more chance you ll believe it rather than if i just said - ah your shoes are too tight.

Maybe next time your out try gradually losening the strap and see if you get to a stage where you ve no pain

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Mac,

On the sore feet thing. Is it on the outside part of under the foot or where exactly?

I never suffered with foot pain before but after the crash the new shoes (which were fine before) left my right foot sore on the first few rides back. Weird i thought.

Anyway seen as i ve only been lobbing along gently i had a play around, and found that if i opened the straps fully and rode with my foot lose the pain went after 5mins or so. So plenty of messing later i discovered i can go to within about one notch of where i did before and be fine. I ll prob get back to even tighter after a couple of months riding.

So id guess the shoes are too tight on you.

I thought id give you the big boring explanation as there is more chance you ll believe it rather than if i just said - ah your shoes are too tight.

Maybe next time your out try gradually losening the strap and see if you get to a stage where you ve no pain

Thanks for the tip KB3, I appreciate the detailed explaination. Yes, that is exactly where - on the mid length of my under foot, on the outer part (so under the middle part of the bones running from my little toe to my ankle/heel). I will try loosening them off a bit next time and see how that is, and as you say keep loosening them off to see if eventually the feet aren't as sore.
    Obviously the longer I'm out on the bike the sorer it is.
    I must put the post up on the cycling forum with the make of pedals and shoes. etc.

Thank, again.

Wed 20 Apr AM
    Swim 2500m LC

Again, no real plan, just throwing a few sets together
    WU 2x100,
    500 in 9:47,
    5x200 off 4:15 (3:42 - 47),
    5x100 off 2:15 (1:50s),
    2x100CD

Wed PM
    LSR 15.1km

All done in 1:12:15, 4:47/km, 7:42/ml, HR 162/182 - I threw in a short bit of speed - 1.9km in 7:35, 4:00/km, 6:25/ml.

Thurs 21 Apr AM
    Group Swim 2500m LC

WU 100FS, 100LSideKick, 100RSideKick, 100BkSt.
    4x50 hard (50 fast legs, 50 fast arms X 2),
    800 PullB, (didn't time it)
    4x50 hard (fast lgs, arms x2),
    800 PullB (in 15:30),
    100FS CD.

Thurs LTime
    Run 8.3km

The plan was to do a fartlek or tempo but the legs were tired so just took it handy. 8.3km in 42:24, 5:07/km, 8:13/ml, HR 156/182
    Again, I threw in a short sharp section of 0.8km in 3:00, 3:45/km, 6:02/ml (HR180ish)

Easter Sat 23 Apr AM
    Swim 1500m 20m Pool

Brought the youngwaneen for her lesson, and did a quick set in the 30 mins
    7 x 200m off 4:00 (all in on 3:30 give or take 2secs)
    100 CD

Sat PM
    Run 12.4km

Aim was to run steady just below Z2.
    Done in 56:11, 4:32/km, 7:17/ml, HR 159/169 - grand job. 2 Pints of Guinness later.

Easter Sunday 24 Apr PM
    Bike 68.3km

We were up in my folks house so I cycled back to Raheny. The first few kms are all down Tullyesker Hill, so the avg speed was high initially. I felt very sleepy after the dinner and was not really looking forward to it, but once I was in Drogheda I was grand, Julianstown and Balbriggan rolled in before I knew it and instead of heading on the 'boneshaker' old N1 road between Balbriggan and Blakes Cross I detoured via Skerries and Rush. This added a few extra kms, but also added a nice coastal scene (and a slight headwind).

33.2kph av, 58kph mx, 95 av Cad, HR 156/173.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 6500m - 2500, 2500, 1500
    Bike 141.4km - 73.1, 68.3
    Run 35.8km - 15.1, 8.3, 12.4
    8 sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Wed 20 Apr AM
    Swim 2500m LC

Again, no real plan, just throwing a few sets together
    WU 2x100,
    500 in 9:47,
    5x200 off 4:15 (3:42 - 47),
    5x100 off 2:15 (1:50s),
    2x100CD

Wed PM
    LSR 15.1km

All done in 1:12:15, 4:47/km, 7:42/ml, HR 162/182 - I threw in a short bit of speed - 1.9km in 7:35, 4:00/km, 6:25/ml.

Thurs 21 Apr AM
    Group Swim 2500m LC

WU 100FS, 100LSideKick, 100RSideKick, 100BkSt.
    4x50 hard (50 fast legs, 50 fast arms X 2),
    800 PullB, (didn't time it)
    4x50 hard (fast lgs, arms x2),
    800 PullB (in 15:30),
    100FS CD.

Thurs LTime
    Run 8.3km

The plan was to do a fartlek or tempo but the legs were tired so just took it handy. 8.3km in 42:24, 5:07/km, 8:13/ml, HR 156/182
    Again, I threw in a short sharp section of 0.8km in 3:00, 3:45/km, 6:02/ml (HR180ish)

Easter Sat 23 Apr AM
    Swim 1500m 20m Pool

Brought the youngwaneen for her lesson, and did a quick set in the 30 mins
    7 x 200m off 4:00 (all in on 3:30 give or take 2secs)
    100 CD

Sat PM
    Run 12.4km

Aim was to run steady just below Z2.
    Done in 56:11, 4:32/km, 7:17/ml, HR 159/169 - grand job. 2 Pints of Guinness later.

Easter Sunday 24 Apr PM
    Bike 68.3km

We were up in my folks house so I cycled back to Raheny. The first few kms are all down Tullyesker Hill, so the avg speed was high initially. I felt very sleepy after the dinner and was not really looking forward to it, but once I was in Drogheda I was grand, Julianstown and Balbriggan rolled in before I knew it and instead of heading on the 'boneshaker' old N1 road between Balbriggan and Blakes Cross I detoured via Skerries and Rush. This added a few extra kms, but also added a nice coastal scene (and a slight headwind).

33.2kph av, 58kph mx, 95 av Cad, HR 156/173.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 6500m - 2500, 2500, 1500
    Bike 141.4km - 73.1, 68.3
    Run 35.8km - 15.1, 8.3, 12.4
    8 sessions.

jaysus - and you are doing this becuase its supposed to be less troublesome than marathon training? :) I dont think so buddy......

Great stuff. Dont know how you do it....

Tues 26 Apr PM
    Bike 43km

A busy weekend ahead - N Tipp Sprint on Sat morning and the Boyne 10km on Sun evening, followed by pints in Drogheda for my bro-in-laws 40th BDay.

Tried to take it handy as a result but pushed a bit too in places.
    31kph av, 46.2kph mx, 93av Cad, HR 155/172.

Looking at getting a new set of wheels for the bike (thanks for the help with that KB3) Looking like a set of Mavic Krysiums Elite or Equipe. Going to try get them 2nd hand, but if not KB has posted a link to a fairly decent price on them. I am going to invest in a new saddle as well - the one I have is causing a bit of pain and numbness! I was thinking of getting one of the ones with a hole in the middle as I think that might help with the numbness.

Wed 27 Apr LTime
    Run 10.5km

A nice run along the canal in the sun. I took the top off after a while and the sun with the little breeze was just great.
    O/A 10.5km in 51:10, 4:52/km, 7:51/ml, HR 156/178
    Added a bit of speed for 0.9km in 3:15, 3:37/km, 5:49/ml, HR~176av

Thurs 28 Apr AM
    Group Swim 2900m

WU 50FS, 50BkSt, 50BrSt, 50 Choice
    3 x 800 w/ fins descending (done in 14:04, 13:37 and 13:03)
    4 x 50m Kick (on front and back with fins)
    100 CD

Didn't order the wheels yet! Indecision eat your heart out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Tues 26 Apr PM
    Bike 43km

A busy weekend ahead - N Tipp Sprint on Sat morning and the Boyne 10km on Sun evening, followed by pints in Drogheda for my bro-in-laws 40th BDay.

Tried to take it handy as a result but pushed a bit too in places.
    31kph av, 46.2kph mx, 93av Cad, HR 155/172.

Looking at getting a new set of wheels for the bike (thanks for the help with that KB3) Looking like a set of Mavic Krysiums Elite or Equipe. Going to try get them 2nd hand, but if not KB has posted a link to a fairly decent price on them. I am going to invest in a new saddle as well - the one I have is causing a bit of pain and numbness! I was thinking of getting one of the ones with a hole in the middle as I think that might help with the numbness.

Best of luck at the weekend. Man, you love your races.

I have the Elites on my bike and am very happy with them. A mate got the Equipes a couple of weeks back and is very happy with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Gimme a shout if you see me in nenagh. I'll be the fat guy in a black tri suit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck for the weekend, can't wait for all the race reports.

Firstly buy the wheels and report back as i am looking at similiar:) Secondly i will be on marshall duties at the 10k on Sunday so will keep an eye out for you and scream at you if you are not going fast enough;)
    If you are sticking about for a pint after the race i will be in McPhails along with everyone else by the looks of it....happy racing this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck tomorrow Mac. I'll see you down there. Might also see if i can make it over to the 10k to cheer you on. Am going home to the folks Saturday night and will be in Drogheda Sunday night for my brotehrs 21st so might swing a visit to that if i can on the way there.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Gimme a shout if you see me in nenagh. I'll be the fat guy in a black tri suit :)
    I'll send you a PM with my mob no. All the best for your race, but sure I'll see you tomorrow hopefully.
    Firstly buy the wheels and report back as i am looking at similiar:) Secondly i will be on marshall duties at the 10k on Sunday so will keep an eye out for you and scream at you if you are not going fast enough;)
    If you are sticking about for a pint after the race i will be in McPhails along with everyone else by the looks of it....happy racing this weekend.

Will get round to the wheel buying - eventually:o
    Good stuff, make sure you give me a big shout. I'll be in the Raheny gear.
    Sound, I will try and get over to McPhails for a pint with you before meeting the bro in law.

@ Woodle, Thanks. You're going well I see - intervals every week, great stuff - I have to start into them next week.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Mac. I'll see you down there. Might also see if i can make it over to the 10k to cheer you on. Am going home to the folks Saturday night and will be in Drogheda Sunday night for my brotehrs 21st so might swing a visit to that if i can on the way there.
    Cheers man - and likewise, I'm sure you will be lamping around that course. If you can get over for the 10km that will be cool - I might get to meet for a pint too - I hope someone adds in a coupl of extra hours to Sunday evening, it's looking like I'll need them!

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck at the weekend. Man, you love your races.

I have the Elites on my bike and am very happy with them. A mate got the Equipes a couple of weeks back and is very happy with them so far.

Yea, have to run the 10k in Drogheda (my home town), I missed it last year. Plus my brother and sister are doing it too.

Thanks for the wheel advice.

North Tipp Sprint 30th April 2011

01:14:50

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get to bed earlier the last few weeks - this needs to change. I got about 6hrs on Thurs & Fri night. I met a mate for pints (3no.) on Thursday night as I had turned down his request for pints on the last few occasions so didn’t have the heart to turn him down again. Prob not the best prep - but I don’t think it did much harm to how the race went.

I got down to Nenagh for 8 and registered and set up transition. I met 2 lads from the Thurs morn swim group - Sean and Andy. And spotted Bambatta in transition so headed over for a chat. After the race briefing Andy told me he had got switched to an earlier wave, to get finished earlier, so I decided to do the same and get home to Mrs Mac and the wee macs earlier too. It ended up myself and Andy were in Wave 3. Before I got switched I went to a shop to get a banana and a coffee to tide me over until the wave I should have been in started. So having gotten switched I was hoping that the banana and coffee wouldn’t cause me problems during the swim or later on the course - thankfully it didn’t. There were some serious looking bikes racked up in transition. I want one! I did a short run and stretch before the off.

Swim
    I was in lane 4 which was anticlockwise which I prefer as I like to turn this way with my right hand on the wall. There were 6 in the lane (2 lads from Limerick Tri Club) and all were looking for above 14 mins, so I led the lane out as I was hoping for sub 14. I did 2 lengths as a warmup, and after a few minutes we were off. I swam well enough and was a good bit ahead of the next man. After 350m or 400m I caught up with the last man and gave him a few taps on the ankle to make sure he knew I was there. I took the time behind people when tapping there ankles and swimming slowly as a bit of a breather. But soon after the 2nd place lad had caught up with me and was slapping my feet. But when we turned passed the man at the wall by the time we got down to the end of the lane I was a few metres ahead of him again, so I held my front position. I should have tried swimming past people mid lane as I now see that the marshals had no problem with this. I’ll remember that for my next pool based tri. On some lengths I would just catch up with the next person when they had reached the wall and they turned ahead of me, which meant I had to wait behind them until the next wall before I got past. I got out of the water with the clock reading 13:37. I had hoped to get closer to 13, but being held up added on most of those extra seconds. The swim time is from crossing the mat outside which was 13:53. (84th position).
    13:37 for 750m (1:50/100)

T1
    There was along enough run in to the bike area and once at the bike I got the race belt, glasses and helmet all on quick enough and crossed the mat in 1:02

Bike
    Hopped on OK - no leap of faith, but a bit of a hop none the less. I have to practice getting my feet into the shoes as I must have been faffing about at that for over a minute. Once I got going I found it fairly tough. The legs were already groaning in pain and it was difficult to keep the pace over 25kph as there was a fair headwind and a few wee rollers on the way out. I was passed by 4 lads (the 2 boys from Limerick Tri Club were among them) over the outward leg and encouraged their good cycling. As soon as I went around the turn-around it was like someone handed me a new pair of legs and I was zipping along, given that it was more downhill now and I now had a tailwind too. Approaching the first roundabout before crossing the bridge over the motorway I was pelting along and just about managed to avoid hitting the kerb as I drifted towards it. I had hoped for a better bike time, but 37:58 is what it was. Interestingly my bike computer which I had set to zero in transition is giving a distance of 20.8km. (pos 105th).

T2
    Again was sharp enough here and got into the Brooks Racers with no difficulty - thank you mister Johnsons Baby Powder. (I didn’t bother with the lock laces and tried to put my foot into the left shoe when setting up transition earlier in the day and the insole bunched - the talc sorted that out). T2 01:20

Run
    I was running well from the start with just a slight jelly feel to the legs and I passed the first man in the first few hundred metres and had caught the next lad before the first turn. The first half of the run course was uphill which had me working hard in the heat and I was panting rather than my more normal deep breathing. The water station couldn’t come quick enough as I was finding it very difficult to swallow my spit which is really annoying during a run. Anyway I tried to keep the pace up and after passing another few I could see a lad in a black tri suit ahead of me. I was not making any ground on him but thought I would before the end. I never did and finished about 10 secs behind him. It was then when I crossed the line that I realised it was Andy - if I had have known that I think I would have tried that bit harder to catch him!
    20:38 for 5.27km, (20th pos) 3:55/km, 6:18/ml.

O/A 01:14:50, 51 out of 215, 24%. HR 173/191.

A really enjoyable day had, and there was a good spread of tea/coffee, sandwiches, cake, biscuits in the CBS hall after.

The legs are a little tired today so hopefully I can pull a pb out of the bag. PB currently from the last 10km raced April 10 GIR, 39:10. We'll see!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Interestingly my bike computer which I had set to zero in transition is giving a distance of 20.8km

The bike was a little long, I had 20.8 aswell on my PT. When I looked through the file afterwards the actual bike not including transition was 20.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice report and well done in Nenagh, Macanri....

Fair play to you - hope the 10k went well on Sunday?

Killerz

mloc123 wrote: »
    The bike was a little long, I had 20.8 aswell on my PT. When I looked through the file afterwards the actual bike not including transition was 20.4.

Thanks for that, good to know that my new computer is not on the blink/faulty!
    Killerz wrote: »
    Nice report and well done in Nenagh, Macanri....

Fair play to you - hope the 10k went well on Sunday?

Killerz

Cheers Kz, 10k went very well really, new PB - see below.

You had a good day out in Boston, sounds like a good experience. Nice to do a marathon for the kicks - and in a wig - you mad fecker, it must have been roasting!

Boyne 10km, 01st May 2011

38:41 PB

Having raced in the N Tipp Sprint the previous day the legs were a bit tired but I was determined to give it a good shot anyway. As the day progressed I was really looking forward to heading up to my home town for a run around the streets and roads very familiar to me. I had hoped to break the 39:10 PB set last year at the Great Ireland Run; and had the dream time set as a sub38.

I arrived in to Drogheda around 6 and waited in the car park just a few hundred metres from the line for my youngest sister to turn up. I didn’t notice her pulling in as I was chatting to an ex teacher who had given a lift to his 2 teenage boys who were also taking part in the 10k race. He mentioned that he had done a few marathons in his day (I had never realised this before). I asked which ones - Dublin x2, and I can’t remember the others. I asked him about his best time. He ran an ‘unadjusted’ 3:03 (ie there were no timing mats back then); essentially he is a sub3 marathon runner. Impressive stuff - and all those years ago all I thought he could do was teach English!

I got my bib no from my sister and she headed off to meet a friend. She was hoping to run a sub 1hr off little training. She ran a 1:07, but was satisfied with that.

I got kitted out in the club gear then and headed for St. Laurence’s St. and the start area. On the way out of the car park I met another few familiar faces and then at the start area I caught up with another Raheny Shamrock’s man. There would probabaly have been more Raheny Shamrocks around for this but the club had run the first relay from Malin to Mizen this weekend too. I then met an old school mate and did my warm up with him. Shortly after that I met a scout leader from my old scout troop; there was a group of about 20 scouts (venturers) doing it too. It was great to meet them and so many more before the start and with the whole pre race atmosphere I was sorry I was going to be heading back straight after the race as it was shaping up to be a great night on the town. I had also met another lad from Drogheda who I had met last year at some of the tris; he was sporting a new white ‘Drogheda Triathlon Club’ technical-t; himself and a few others have recently set the club up. I made my way down to the start line through the crowd, while Derek Davis blabbered on about something or other, and positioned myself in the 2nd row. Just before the start a Drogheda Independent photographer took a photo of my clubmate and me - which may be in next weeks paper. Also before the start was another Drog Tri Club t-shirt wearer, Paddy C - the lad who came in 3rd in the recently run Development Perspectives TourdBoyne 10.3km run. He was targetting 37.

The start was also the finish, and it started with a short downhill the last 100m or so of St. Laurence’s St, which meant we were going to be running up this for the finish. 10, 9 … 3, 2, 1 and we were off. It was a quick enough start due to the down hill, past ‘McPhails’ pub where I spent many a long evening; and 10 or 15 years ago, if it was a nice sunny evening like last night I would probably have been sitting out in the beer garden in the evening sun. We tore up West St. past St. Peter’s Church (with St. Oliver Plunkett’s head inside) and then I saw jackyback up ahead and gave him a shout as I passed. I hoped that I would be in the same position when I met him again around 500m from the finish (I was running in the top 10 at this stage). We continued on down Trinity street where I was passed by several runners, and as we entered Mell I noticed a few of my old neighbours outside their doors spectating. I then ran past my old home place which signalled the start of the first small hill up to Mell parish church and school and from there up the next hill to the top of Mell and out the old Slane Road. We were on country roads now and there were still groups of people outside a cluster of houses here and there along the route. It was along this stretch I was passed by Anthony C (an old work colleague) and I had a quick chat to see what his target was - he said sub 40. The road out to the Obelisk Bridge continued to undulate and wind its way on, and I weaved from one side of the road to the other trying to ensure that I ran the shortest possible route.

We passed over the Obelisk Bridge with the river Boyne below and I glanced at the watch as we passed the 5km mark; 18:3x. We were now running back towards Drogheda on a road close to the south bank of the river and the wind was noticeable here and there where the trees grew sparsely and let the wind through. I was tracking Anthony C and another lad who had passed me earlier and I was hoping to catch them before getting onto the ramparts which was directly on the edge of the river so that I could tuck in behind them and get some shelter from the wind which would be blowing up the natural wind tunnel created by the river. I didn’t manage to catch them before the rampart section. The ramparts had a covering of light gritty stone on it and this led to a loss of traction especially when toeing off; but thankfully I had experienced the same surface during my lunchtime runs along the canal and knew that if I ran along the edge where the grass was growing very lightly that this would overcome the loss of traction; and surely enough I was catching the 2 lads. It was tough going along the river bank as the wind was fairly strong. After another few hundred metres I passed Anthony C and the other bloke and I could nearly hear Anthony’s disappointment as I went by. I passed the 8km mark at 30:3x, so I had 7:2x to run the last 2km if I was to break the hoped for 38 min mark. There were people on the sidelines again now as we were approaching Drogheda; The closer to the finish line we got the greater the numbers and the more vocal the encouragement - the crowd were just brilliant altogether. We continued along the river bank and passed the 9km marker with the watch reading 34:4x. There was no way I was going to break 38mins now, especially since we had still 3 little drags to contend with, but I was surely on for breaking my PB of 39:10. The first of these wee drags came early in the last km where the ramparts comes up from the river bank. Then we crossed St. Dominic’s Bridge back on the Co. Louth side of the river and up the next hill past St. Dominic’s church. The samba band were pumping out the beats at the top of the hill and I concentrated on moving my feet to the music until I got up the hill. I gave them a thumbs up as I turned the corner at the top of the hill. OK, I was nearly there it was just a matter of running down West St again and up the hill of Laurence’s St; where I put my head down and pumped my arms and legs to get up the hill. I glanced at the watch just before crossing the line and it was reading 38:4x. Happy days. The roars from the crowd coming up the hill to the finish was absolutely brilliant.

I leaned across the railing on the side of the road until I caught my breath and then headed into the Laurences shopping centre where they handed out the t shirt and goody bag. There were also to people giving massages, and I was going to get one but I opted to go down stairs for some coffee and grub instead, before heading back up to Dublin for the bro in laws 40th party in Malahide.

There was a great atmosphere in the town before and after the race and I again met another load of heads in the shopping centre and was sorry that I had to head away at all. It would have been some night’s craic in McPhails, that’s for sure.

The results have been posted today and I finished in a time of 38:41, 3:52/km, 6:13/ml. 17th position out of a field of 900+. The HR for the race was 179av/184mx. I’m a bit surprised that the max wasn’t higher. But I suppose it shows that the limiter for the race was not the heart, but was actually the legs which were feeling the pain from early on in the race. There were 25 sub40s and 119 sub45s. The race was won in a time of 33:17 by Simon Ryan from Raheny Shamrock's.

This was a very well organised race and a credit to Drogheda & District AC. It was great to see such a good event in the home town. I will be back for more of the same next year, le cúnamh Dé. And sure I might even get a few intervals done before the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

That was some weekend, Macanri! Congrats on the PB. Some great racing, especially on tired legs... Derek Davis must have been in particularily inspiring form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great stuff Macanri... What a weekend... Surely u going to have to start a sneeky 12 week marathon training programme soon and break that 3 hr duck... Its has to b done man!!!!.. u know it makes sense...

• Advertisement

Well done Mac, for someone who raced the day before you looked remarkably fresh coming up the hill at Dominic St towards the end, great running. You are right about that wind along the ramparts as i often run up that way and the wind zaps the energy out of you.

Advertisement