Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jaysus, the amount of dossing I have to do to catch up withe the weekend's boardsie activity is going to get me in trouble, but the visit to this log was worth some of that. Great stuff Mac 2 races at the weekend and generally solid results. Well done on the PB, I think you and I are in similar territory with the 10k. Sure we will get the sub38 on fresh legs :D Cheers for the reports too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great time Macanri - and congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

ronanmac wrote: »
    That was some weekend, Macanri! Congrats on the PB. Some great racing, especially on tired legs... Derek Davis must have been in particularily inspiring form :)

Cheers Ronan, yea a busy, but good weekend had. I would be usually interested in what Derek Davis says as he speaks well, but I was too focused on getting through the crowd towards the front!
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Great stuff Macanri... What a weekend... Surely u going to have to start a sneeky 12 week marathon training programme soon and break that 3 hr duck... Its has to b done man!!!!.. u know it makes sense...

Cheers Liam, hmmm .. I hadn't even contemplated what that 10k time would equate to via McMillans running calcualtor - looked there now - 38:41 10k = 3:01:32 for the marathon.
    You're a bad bad man!:D
    Well done Mac, for someone who raced the day before you looked remarkably fresh coming up the hill at Dominic St towards the end, great running. You are right about that wind along the ramparts as i often run up that way and the wind zaps the energy out of you.

Sorry for not seeing you at the top of the hill - I was in pain. It was great to have the Samba band at the top of the hill to give a beat to run up the hill to.
    Jaysus, the amount of dossing I have to do to catch up withe the weekend's boardsie activity is going to get me in trouble, but the visit to this log was worth some of that. Great stuff Mac 2 races at the weekend and generally solid results. Well done on the PB, I think you and I are in similar territory with the 10k. Sure we will get the sub38 on fresh legs :D Cheers for the reports too

Thanks man.
    Don't talk to me about the dossing (I'm forever trying to get a minute or 2 to scan the logs - the feckin training logs are busier than they ever where last year).

Yea similar enough paces (on the shorter stuff;)) Wish I had your marathon legs:o.

Yea, have to get a nice flat 5km and 10km course and give them a lash on fresher legs before the year is out. Last 5km is from early 2010 - 19:23pb, I reckon I could make good inroads into that time.

Re your marathon in Limerick - you were on for a great time, but you defo made the right decision by knocking it on the head and saving your joints/hip flexor. It was a mechanical issue which caused the DNF, not a endurance, muscle issue, if you know what I mean.
    Have you been to the physio with it since?

All the best with the rest of your IM training. You have put down some great training and plenty of quality sessions. All the training will see you in great shape come race day.

Week Totals 25th April - 01st May
    Swim 3700m - 2900, 750 race & 50 WU
    Bike 63.8km - 43, 20.8 race
    Run 28.9km (18mls) - 10.5, 5.3 race, 1.5WU, 10 race, 1.6WU.

April Month Totals:
    Swim 21,800m
    Bike 395.2km
    Run 98.9km

Jan to Apr Comparison:

2010 Totals:
    Swim 45,700m (17th)
    Bike 739.8km (17th)
    Run 346.9km (20th) OA 54pts

2011 Totals:
    Swim 66,700m (13th)
    Bike 426.5km (27th)
    Run 794.4km (3rd) OA 43pts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Busy weekend there Mac. COngrats on the 10k PB. Sub 38 would be a piece of pi$$ on fresh legs

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Busy weekend there Mac. COngrats on the 10k PB. Sub 38 would be a piece of pi$$ on fresh legs

Cheers p, Yea would think I could challenge a sub 37 on fresh legs (and a flat course). Don't think either would be a piece of p!ss. Painful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Macanri wrote: »
    Cheers p, Yea would think I could challenge a sub 37 on fresh legs (and a flat course). Don't think either would be a piece of p!ss. Painful stuff.

LOL...very true. Embrace the pain! :cool:

Bank Hol Mon, 02 May PM
    Recovery Run 6.5km

I had left the car up in my mother in laws, some 1.5km away from the house so jogged up in around about loop after we got the kids to bed.

35:03, 5:24/km, 8:41/ml; HR 147/155

Tues 03 May PM
    Bike 44.4km

The plan was to take it handy enough, but I also decided to take in a loop of Howth Head via the school side. The hill took me 10:45. Then I headed round a usual enough bike route via Malahide and the old N1.

The flashing light ont he front of the bike must have been sending out a Morse Code for "Please drive out in front of me". 'cause the amount of feckin luodders that drove out in front of me was unfeckinreal.

After getting home I unclipped the left foot while coming in the drive, but was slowing too much so put the foot back on the pedal to go forward some more when the shoe unintentionally clicked back onto the pedal. The bike stopped and "Oh Sh!t" - I knew I was going over; but I was on the lawn so no harm done. I'm sure it gave any of the neighbours who may have seen it a bit of a giggle all the same.

44.4km, 1:28:32, 30.1kph av, 59.3mx, av Cad 95; HR 156/181.

Wed 04 May LTime
    Run 10.5km Fartlek

I had planned an AM swim but when I got up as I was heading out the door at 6:00 I heard young Mac wake up "its morning time". That was the end of the swim and I was on nappy changing and porridge making duties.

I had planned to do a lunchtime run so that went ahead. I have no GPS so its harder to know distances ran and pace involved, so the plan was to go along the canal and after a warm up keep lashing out 3mins on and 2 mins off, leaving about a km at the end for a CD.

So it went like so:
    5:00 WU then
    7 x (3:00 at pace, 2:00 recovery)
    The HR at the end of the 7 x 3min on was 180, 185, 186, 190, 187, 186, 186, so consistent enough.

Now for the science. The whole run took 46:50; HR 173/190. If I was running the recovery and WU, CD at av 5:15/km pace then I would have ran:
    4.9km in 25:50, at easy pace and the
    7 x 3:00 = 21:00 covered a distance of 5.6km; so 3:45/km, 6:02/ml.

That all depends on what the easy pace was - which I'm only guessing at, so not very scientific!

May the 4th be with you!

Thurs 05 May AM
    Group Swim 2200m

I gave blood last night, so had planned to take it easy during the group swim.

The alarm went; and I went back to sleep. I woke 20mins later and headed to the pool knowing I was going to be a bit late. I missed 200m of the WU. The WU should have been 100FS, 50 side kick, 50 other side kick, 100 BkSt all with fins.

WU 100 FS w/ fins
    8x50 w/ fins (as 25 hard, 25 easy)
    3 x 400 w/ 10 sec RT (didn't time them as didn't want to be pushing myself)
    4 x 50 (as 25 hard, 25 easy)
    200 kick w/ fins (side kick, 3 strokes, other side kick)
    100 easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was thinking of you.....after i hopefully just scored the pair of equipe wheels myself ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/mavic-ksyrium-elite-clincher-rear-wheel/586220

http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/mavic-ksyrium-es-clincher-wheelset-campagnolo/586183

Not sure of your gear set up

Thanks for that link CW. Just put €220 down on those equipe - I'm collecting them in the morning. Great stuff - thanks:D:p:rolleyes:

Still haven't got my finger out and bought a set!

Weekly Totals

Having given blood on Wed evening I went ahead against their advice and did the swim session on Thurs morning, and later in the day the cold grew on me. Its nearly gone now. I might do an easy run tomorrow evening. I'll wait and see. It feels like it could go down into the chest fairly handy, so I'll play it by ear.

Swim 2200m
    Bike 44.4km
    Run 17km - 6.5, 10.5

Step back week! or Set back week!

• Advertisement

Mon 09 May PM
    Run 9.4km

Headed out to see how I'ld get on. Plan was to take it handy, but it actually felt quite laboured, the head wind along the coast didn't help it feel easy.

45:52, 4:53/km, 7:51/ml, HR 157/171.

Tues 10 May PM
    Bike 55.1km

This consisted of the same route as this day last week - with an extra loop of Howth Head. The hill took 10:09 first time round; and I squeezed in in 9:59 2nd time round.

55.1km, 01:50, 29.9kph av, 58.6mx, av Cad 97; HR 160/184.

Wed 11 May AM
    Swim 2000m LC

I didn't know what to do so decided on 1 of interested's solo swim sessions - the first 3k+ one.

200 WU
    5 x 100 off 2:00 (came in ~1:47 - 1:52)
    5 x 100 off 2:10 (in ~ 1:55)
    5 x 100 off 2:20 (in ~ 1:55) Hams and quads were cramping bad especially kicking off the wall
    1 x 100 off 2:30 Cramped up BIG style.
    Out on to the pool deck to stretch in bewilderment - that was it session over - got back in and did
    2 x 100 CD - still cramping

That will teach me to stretch well after the bike next time out. The reason I didn't stretch was I was talking to a mate on the phone, when I came in off the bike and then decided to hit the shower.

Wed 11 May Ltime
    Run 10.5km

As a result of the legs not feeling great after the cramps I ditched the planned intervals and did a steady 10.5km along the tow path of the Royal Canal.
    49:05 for 10.5km, 4:41/km, 7:31/ml, HR 161/168.

Thurs 12 May AM
    Group Swim LC 2300m

the legs felt tired walking towards the NAC so was hoping I wouldn't cramp up again as I didn't get much of a stretch in after the lunchtime run yesterday.

WU 50LArm, 50RArm, 100FS, 200KickwFins.
    3x200 FS w/ Fins descending (3:50,:26,:03),
    6x100FS w Fins (1:30, 28, 27, 23, 24, 24),
    4x50 w/ Fins (45, 47, 50, 50),
    200scull, 100FS,
    CD 100BkSt, 50BrSt, 50DoggyPad

Rest day tomorrow - were going down to a hotel in Monaghan for the weekend and meeting up with all my family - ma, da, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands and kids - 25 people in all - it will be some craic!

I didn't know what to do so decided on 1 of interested's solo swim sessions - the first 3k+ one.

200 WU
    5 x 100 off 2:00 (came in ~1:47 - 1:52)
    5 x 100 off 2:10 (in ~ 1:55)
    5 x 100 off 2:20 (in ~ 1:55) Hams and quads were cramping bad especially kicking off the wall
    1 x 100 off 2:30 Cramped up BIG style.
    Out on to the pool deck to stretch in bewilderment - that was it session over - got back in and did
    2 x 100 CD - still cramping

I have you nicely caught here, did that one myself today - off 5 second shorter times and you are quicker than me. You need to stop lying about your pb's to Interested. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Are the howth times from the howth celtic football pitch to the irsih times shop or from where to where do you time it? I'd have had you down as faster but maybe it was blowy up there, as the wind makes a huge difference.

Did you get the wheels?

Interested if you happen to be reading this - please look away now;).
    catweazle wrote: »
    I have you nicely caught here, did that one myself today - off 5 second shorter times and you are quicker than me. You need to stop lying about your pb's to Interested. ;)

aha ha, you fecker ya, ya have me well sussed - rumbled:D

Now let me explain your honour... I arrived to the pool not knowing what session to do & I had the swim notes from interested sessions printed out and in the car with me. But as you know he has nominal times in there of 1:40 PB for 100m so I said I'ld go with that. (my PB is 1:33).

Anyway, I was fairly wrecked from the start after the 2 hill repeats and no stretching the previous evening. I was thinking to my self as I struggled to get in under 2:00 and have a few seconds to spare "Thank f*ck I didn't have to go off whatever 1:33 would have had me at" - A tough session.

I'll have to update the PBs and see if I can do another solo session again.

BTW, your swimming seems to be coming on well. How do you feel you're getting on with the swimming yourself?

Not too bad, being honest I looked at the times it churned out to me today, which were the same as yours. I haven't timed myself in ages on the 100m so I thought the 1.42 in there was soft so I just bumped it to 1.35 to see what I got on the excel sheet.

The first set off 1.55 was tough but the rest weren't too bad. What these long distance swim sessions seem to be doing is improving my cruising speed. Swimming at sub 2 minute pace has become much more comfortable.

It has also given me some routine, I spent all last year just pottering around doing what I felt like and I didn't come on pace wise at all

The hard 4 x 100 in session 4 has now been updated to off 1.45 - that will tell a lot seeing as my current pb for 400 is 7.21 :rolleyes:

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Are the howth times from the howth celtic football pitch to the irsih times shop or from where to where do you time it? I'd have had you down as faster but maybe it was blowy up there, as the wind makes a huge difference.

Did you get the wheels?

KennyB3, I was sorry to see you're thread locked up and your final post, but I kinda know where you're coming from. All the best with your recovery and come back. I thought you were easing back into nicely. I mknow what you mean though about the logs been a double edged sword if your injured or out of action - they can be hard to take then.

Don't forget to give me a shout if you are going for any spins or runs in the future. And I hope you will stick around and provide some good advice to us wannabes.

Re the Howth hill times that I have posted above - funny, I was wondering where you were taking your start and finish from when I was out last week. The hill is tackled from the school side heading up the hill with the graveyard on the RHS. The start is just at the drop kerb at the entrance to the football pitches and the finish is adjacent to the public lighting pole which is opposite the junction on the RHS (never noticed an "Irish Times Shop" - must open my eyes next time I'm up). I hope to do it faster as time goes on:). IIRC you were doing the hill in close to 9 mins - good going! Do you use the same start/finish? It was a little windy but not too bad.

Re the wheels: I went to buy them on the bikepalst website but they don't ship to Ireland - I think they're a German website? So didn't get them yet. I'm very slow to make decisions sometimes, especially if I'm not in any panic. ie, I can motor along on the existing wheels for now - maybe I need to go for a cycle across a road full of potholes and wreck the ones I have - that'ld get me moving on buying new ones!

PS I'll be anxiously awaiting the start of your new tri log when you eventually learn to swim;)

Take care man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Pretty sure i asked this before but never came across it, can one of you link me to Interested swim sets.

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Not too bad, being honest I looked at the times it churned out to me today, which were the same as yours. I haven't timed myself in ages on the 100m so I thought the 1.42 in there was soft so I just bumped it to 1.35 to see what I got on the excel sheet.

The first set off 1.55 was tough but the rest weren't too bad. What these long distance swim sessions seem to be doing is improving my cruising speed. Swimming at sub 2 minute pace has become much more comfortable.

It has also given me some routine, I spent all last year just pottering around doing what I felt like and I didn't come on pace wise at all

The hard 4 x 100 in session 4 has now been updated to off 1.45 - that will tell a lot seeing as my current pb for 400 is 7.21 :rolleyes:

Great going - as I said your swimming well.

The swimming is a funny old thing though. I have a 100m PB of 1:33, yet my 200m PB done the day after the 100PB, is 3:33. You would think that if I could do 1:33 for 100 that 200 should at least be done sub3:20? My 400PB is 7:12, so not too out of whack from the 200 time, but again seems to be way off my 100 time. What does this mean - is it that I have sh!te swim endurance?
    Anyway, we'll just keep plugging away in the water.
    But yea the planned sessions, whether done on your own or in a group are far better than arriving wondering what will I do today?, ah sure I'll do 400 and then maybe 5 100s and then maybe 1000, - sure you're half finished before you have focussed on anything!

Anyway, keep up the good work - your flying it.

Pretty sure i asked this before but never came across it, can one of you link me to Interested swim sets.

Ill look for them now - back in a tick!

Took some digging but here you go: http://www.3dtri.com/index.php?q=node/2252

That's another pint you owe me! :)

You may owe interested one also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

KennyB3, I was sorry to see you're thread locked up and your final post, but I kinda know where you're coming from. All the best with your recovery and come back. I thought you were easing back into nicely. I mknow what you mean though about the logs been a double edged sword if your injured or out of action - they can be hard to take then.

Don't forget to give me a shout if you are going for any spins or runs in the future. And I hope you will stick around and provide some good advice to us wannabes.

Re the Howth hill times that I have posted above - funny, I was wondering where you were taking your start and finish from when I was out last week. The hill is tackled from the school side heading up the hill with the graveyard on the RHS. The start is just at the drop kerb at the entrance to the football pitches and the finish is adjacent to the public lighting pole which is opposite the junction on the RHS (never noticed an "Irish Times Shop" - must open my eyes next time I'm up). I hope to do it faster as time goes on:). IIRC you were doing the hill in close to 9 mins - good going! Do you use the same start/finish? It was a little windy but not too bad.

Re the wheels: I went to buy them on the bikepalst website but they don't ship to Ireland - I think they're a German website? So didn't get them yet. I'm very slow to make decisions sometimes, especially if I'm not in any panic. ie, I can motor along on the existing wheels for now - maybe I need to go for a cycle across a road full of potholes and wreck the ones I have - that'ld get me moving on buying new ones!

PS I'll be anxiously awaiting the start of your new tri log when you eventually learn to swim;)

Take care man.
    Hi Mick,

Thanks was building back up alright but the back is spasming so a break might do it some good, although i went for an hour last night but that was more at touring pace to clear the head.

I ll give you a shout on a spin at some stage alright, running might be for after the cycling season.

Yeah use the same start - at the howth FC entrance there is a small white line that comes out on the road about a foot and again at the top the white wall on the right is actually the back of a shop (Irish Times shop - good for a cornetto reward if you PB). I stop the clock just as i hit that wall. PB is 8.58 but id prob not even make it up right now:pac: Only reason i said i reckoned you d be faster is i remember you putting me under serious pressure going up last year, i was panting like a dog at the top. Your only back on the bike a while so no doubt as you build endurance and strength you ll be flying up. Its sick to think alot of lads can do that close to 7 mins.

On the wheels maybe drop them a mail, just i know a lad from the cycling forum was going to get them and nearly sure he did, but maybe he had same problem. they are great value. If i was buying again it would be those.

You ll have to keep annoying me on the swimming:D

Talk to ya soon dude, and yeah i ll still be rambling away in all the good logs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thanks for that Mick. It looks very impressive and its a pity i did not come across it sooner as it will add great structure to the swim training, well whats left of it.

Thanks for that Mick. It looks very impressive and its a pity i did not come across it sooner as it will add great structure to the swim training, well whats left of it.

Yea there's a bit of work put into them alright - credit where credit's due. To my shame I have only got my finger out and started using them this week:o.

Sure won't they serve you well next year for Roth:D;), or is it Austria you're doing then?:pac:

Thurs 12 May PM
    Bike 21km

Got out for a quick spin before Mrs Mac went for her walk.
    21km along the black path and back. Headwind on the way out tailwind on the way back - all done on the small front cog. On the way back up the Howth Road towards Raheny I caugth up with one of the Raheny lads who was running in the cycle lane. I pulled up beside him and chatted til I met the turn off for the house. He was running well, having done 11.5mls up to that point. He swears on 100 miles per week.

28.3kph av, 39.2mx, 100 av Cad, HR 150/164.

Sat 14 May PM
    Run 6.4km

Went for a handy run with the future bro-in-law. Done in 34:08, 5:20/km, 8:35/ml, HR 153/165.

Got a couple of hundred metres done in the pool (16.5m length) over the weekend - 600m+.

Week Totals
    Swim 4900m - (2000, 2300, 600)
    Bike 76.1km - (55.1, 21)
    Run 26.3km - (9.4, 10.5, 6.4)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey Mac, catching up here tonight I am! Well done on the North Tipp and the 10k PB the very next day! I hope you are enjoying the training dude. I see you are putting in some hill work on the bike, I must go to Howth some day and tackle that famous hill!

So I was wondering, when will you be setting your next A race?

How are you finding the Thurs swim session? Are you making any other club sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Also will you be having a crack at the mike this Weds in Santry?

• Advertisement

Mon 16 May PM
    LSR 15.4km

A bit of a headwind along the coast and a bit of a 'race' with about 6 or 7 young lads on MTBs, both of which drove the HR up a bit. Uneventful apart from that and an enjoyable run. 1:15:08, 4:54/km, 7:53/ml, HR 161/186.

Advertisement