Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Sun PM
    Recovery Run 4.1km

Headed out on a nice evening for a recovery run.

23:19, 5:41/km, 9:09/ml, HR 144/152.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Nice one, Macanri, what was your previous 5k PB? Laughing at the "run faster, Daddy." If only that was all it took!

ronanmac wrote: »
    Nice one, Macanri, what was your previous 5k PB? Laughing at the "run faster, Daddy." If only that was all it took!

Yea, must remember to run faster next time:cool:.

Previous PB was 19:23 from 'The Jingle Bells 5km' in Dec 2009.

Week Totals

Swim 4600m (2200, 2400)
    Bike 113.9km (60, 27+26.9)
    Run 26.1km (11.2, 4.8Brick, 5Race + 1, 4.1)

Mon 20 June AM
    Swim LC 2400m

2nd Set, 2nd Session
    WU 2x100,
    12x50 off 1:05 (~55),
    10x100 (25Kick, 25LArm, 25 Rarm, 25FS),
    8x50 off 1:00 (~60),
    CD 2x100

Tough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey Mac,

Well done on the 5k PB! Great stuff, you seemed to keep pushing yourself throughout the race, I suppose thats how PB's are done.

Re: intervals on the bike

Personally I do two types:

(a) TT efforts starting at 3 x 5km building to 3 x 8km and then 4 x 5km building to 4 x 8km (I will be starting these Sat July 2nd) I will incorporate these into my long cycles (70-110km)

(b) Shorter intervals (MAX efforts) After a good 45 min warm up - 6 x 45sec MAX 1:15 spinning building to 8 x 45 MAX; Then 6 x 50sec MAX 1:10 spinning building to 8 x 50sec MAX.

So, for me, come July I will be doing 3 bike sessions

1) Long bike with TT efforts
    2) 1:30 - 2hrs Hill session
    3) The shorter intervals

This is just what I do/will do, I stand to be corrected/critically analyzed on this. The one thing I am certain of is - keep things simple, I believe in simplicity, hope this helps dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Macanri wrote: »
    Yea, must remember to run faster next time:cool:.

Previous PB was 19:23 from 'The Jingle Bells 5km' in Dec 2009.

That's some readjustment of a PB, well done.
    I remember us bringing the kids to a duathlon earlier this year, and the eldest, aged two, shouting at me as I came out of T2. Half a mile up the road, I could still hear him roaring "Daddy", really indignant that I didn't bother to stop for the chat :)

@ El D. Yea that's a great help thanks. I must try some of them.
    ronanmac wrote: »
    That's some readjustment of a PB, well done.
    I remember us bringing the kids to a duathlon earlier this year, and the eldest, aged two, shouting at me as I came out of T2. Half a mile up the road, I could still hear him roaring "Daddy", really indignant that I didn't bother to stop for the chat :)

Firstly, it seems from the thread in the events section that there is a bit of an issue with the timing. It seems that the timesposted are between 13 to 16 mins faster than actually recorded by peoples watches.!? Which is a pain in the a... Anyway, I remember asking the lad that came in ahead of me what he did - 18:15 he reckoned, and I was 10 secs after him according to the results, so it's an 18:25 at least.

So the old 5km PB was from the end of my first year running, so I have alot more miles in the legs; that and the fac that the Jingle Bells finished up a bitch of a hill in the Phoenix Park!

LOL re young ronanmac; the kids are a scream, the stuff they come out with.

Mon PM
    Bike 70.6km

The rain was coming down bit but it looked like it might clear up as the evening went on, or at least that was what I was wishfully thinking. Got geared up and put on the Nike 'running rain jacket' - really glad I did. The first 3km was absolute cat, but after the 5km warm up I was motoring along and wet by that stage and forgot about the weather, kind of.

Headed out the Malahide Road, over to Santry, via back of airport, Naul, Ballyboughal, N1, Home. I stayed in the wee ring for the whole thing, despite the urge to flick it onto the big cog on the easy sections where I was spinning out. The energy levels were surprisingly good (up to the 2hr mark at least) and for some reason the water in the bottle tasted better than water. Maybe the salmon and pasta that I had before going out on the bike was salty and had me more thirsty than normal. Anyway, a good session in horrible weather. July and August better be sunny!

70.6km, ~2:16, 30.9kph av, 54.7mx, av Cad 99, HR 158/182.

The 182HR was at the top of a hill having tried a few of KB3s hill sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice PB there Mac. You fairly kicked the old one in to touch! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice run Macrani, way to go and smash a PB. You have another sub3 attempt pencilled in yet?

Nice run Macrani, way to go and smash a PB. You have another sub3 attempt pencilled in yet?

Cheers lads, I think I'm going to have to call it an 18:30 time, due to an issue with peoples watches recording a slower time.

I haven't thought about another sub3 attempt yet. I have to give herself more time before I drop that on her!

I see you're now in taper mode and already your hurting your back and starting to get niggles - All taper madness stuff as I'm sure you are aware. Just take it handy and don't go doing too much of your DIY jobs. The taper is for resting up, not adding different activities, even if their not related to tri!

Tues 21 June PM
    RUN Race Lord Mayor Series 2ml
    11.9km tot

I have a PB for 2miles of 11:14 (I think), so was thinking I would get around in around 11:20 - What was I thinking :rolls eyes:
    Met foleyalan, and christeb and did a warm up with them and a few others. The race kicked off and I was in about 7th and running too fast and on my toes. A few passed me, then a few more (foleyalan being one of these) so I was now around 12th or 13th. Came through 1 mile in 5:38 and started to take the foot of the gas a bit on the first side of the triangular course to give myself a small breather, and 'Johny' then passed me here. On to the second side of the triangle, and I picked it up again relling Johny back in and then foleyalan before the turn for the homestraight. Started to up the pace again and passed 1 more? Then I heard one of our Marshals shouting out "Go on Brian" - feck where did he come from. So I really put the foot down to stay ahead of Mr. Christeb, which I just about did:)
    Crossed the line missing a lung in 11:35 for 11th place. I can see christeb and foleyalan giving me a good run for my money as these continue through the summer. (What feckin summer - it was raining during it!). 2 lads who I bet on Sun finished just ahead of me. I was happy enough with the time considering I raced on Sun and did the 70km bike the evening previous evening.

11:35 for 2miles, 5:47.5/ml, 3:36/km, HR 185/194

Wed 22 June AM
    Swim 2400m LC

Did 2nd Set, 3rd Session.

WU 1x200,
    4x50 Kick w/ board,
    6x200 off 4:25 (~3:55),
    4x100 (As 25LArm, 25 Rarm, 25Kick, 25FS),
    6x50 off 1:00 (~60),
    CD 1x100

Swim mojo out the window a bit! Nice to go green on the swim all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Still sandbaggin' I see ;)

Hopefully we'll both get closer to 11 by the end of Aug, see you on Saturday for some more pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Then I heard one of our Marshals shouting out "Go on Brian" - feck where did he come from. So I really put the foot down to stay ahead of Mr. Christeb, which I just about did:)

Nothing worse when you have plans of taking the guy in front of you only for the crowd to let him know you're coming :D

christeb wrote: »
    Still sandbaggin' I see ;)

Hopefully we'll both get closer to 11 by the end of Aug, see you on Saturday for some more pain...

Sandbagging? I'll have to google that!
    Yea hopefully we can get as close to 11 as possible. Sub 11 would be an absolute dream! I will be racing on Sat, but the following Tues I may take it handier as I will have TriAthlone the following Sat which I want to give a good lash at - I have more Boardsies to try and beat there too! :)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Nothing worse when you have plans of taking the guy in front of you only for the crowd to let him know you're coming :D

Yea, but luckily for me, I was the one they were alerting to his ever approaching presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Good stuff on the 2 miler dude, 11:35 - thats bang on my own PB, I might do one of these during the summer just to see where I am since I set that. Well done on reaching swim green too man.

You must pick out a graded track meet too over the summer, 1,500 and 3,000 tonight in Santry.

Good stuff on the 2 miler dude, 11:35 - thats bang on my own PB, I might do one of these during the summer just to see where I am since I set that. Well done on reaching swim green too man.

You must pick out a graded track meet too over the summer, 1,500 and 3,000 tonight in Santry.

Yea come down and give one or two a go - they are all 2 miles and there on every Tues evening until end of August.

Yea, I must get along to one of them track meets.

I hope you went easy with that roller this morning!

Wed 22 June PM
    Bike 33.5km

Did a bit of DIY before Mrs Mac came back from her walk, then hit the road for an hour.
    Went via Portmarnock, Malahide, N1 & Santry.
    31.6kph av, 45.6mx, 99av Cad, HR 156/170

Thurs 23 June AM
    Group Swim 2400m LC

Rolled over for one more minute when the alarm went. Woke 25 mins later!. Rushed to the pool and just missed the WU of 400m (200 FS, 100BrSt, 100BkSt)

Did my own WU of 200m
    5 x 400 w/ Fins (15sec RT)
    CD 100 FS Legs, BrSt Arms, 100FS

The aim for the 400s was to be 1sec quicker on each
    6:50, 6:55, 6:45, 6:55, 6:38

Fri 24 June PM
    Bike(33.8km) / Run(6.2km) Brick

Having told MCOS to HTFU on the HotW Race thread, I was waiting for the wind and rain to die down a bit so I could SIU myself. Headed out when the worst of the rain was near gone, but it was still wet and flippin cold, with a nice headwind along the coast for a finish on the bike - lovely.

33.8km, 1:10, 28.8km av, 54.3mx, av Cad??, HR 168/179.
    In to the house to change in to dry clothes and socks. ~4 mins. The toes were numb which was a new one for the run. 6.2km in 25:50, 4:10/km, 6:42/ml, HR 172/178.

Sat 25 June
    Rest Day
    But did a wee commute in and out of town on the MTB 20.1km.

Sun 26 June AM
    LSR / With a fast finish 15.4km

A warm day and I met Brainderunner on his bike heading for the Clontarf carpark to meet the Boardsies for their meet and train group - I think he was running late - He hadn't a clue who I was :)

O/A 15.4km in 1:12:40, 4:43/km, 7:36/ml, HR 161/179
    The Tempo bit was 2.6km in 11:10, 4:18/km, 6:55/ml, HR~176.

Weekly Milage

Swim 7200m (2400, 2400, 2400)
    Bike 158km (70.6, 33.5, 33.8Brick, 20.1)
    Run 33.5km (11.9 (incl 2ml race), 6.2Brick, 15.4)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A warm day and I met Brainderunner on his bike heading for the Clontarf carpark to meet the Boardsies for their meet and train group - I think he was running late - He hadn't a clue who I was :)

Never! :eek:

Mon 27 June PM
    OW Swim/Bike Brick

Headed for the N Bull Wall, and was met with lovely conditions - the tide was about 1/2 hour from being fully in, there was a slight SW breeze and only the smallest of chop. Really enjoyed the OW swim. I must head down some morning next week when its High Tide instead of going to the pool. Swam from the mens changing area up to the start of the bridge. I was taking it handy enough and moving well although I thought that this direction was going to be the more difficult as it was against the direction of the wind which made it look from the surface that the water was moving against me. But when I got to the bridge (~20mins) and stood up I could feel the currrent bring all the water from the sea in under the bridge. If I floated I'ld have ended up in Raheny! I had a quick chat with a man fishing and headed back against the flow. It was tougher on the way back, and I had to exert a bit more effort, but I was still moving not too bad, and got back to the changing area about 22 or 23 mins later. All in all 2100m in about 43 mins (2:03/100m) (measured the distance with the bike later as I swam parellel to the shore). The HR for the swim was 147/170.

A very slow transition getting the bike out, the wheel on and getting into my gear and then locking everything else up; so the brick effect was near gone at that stage - but the bike still had the old quads shouting at me. Did 24.6km loop around by the coast, Malahide Road, Belmayne cemetry, Coast road back to the N Bull Wall. 32.1kph av, 44mx, Av Cad 101, HR 162av/230mx??? (rogue reading obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What wave are you starting in on Saturday? I am in wave 2.

What wave are you starting in on Saturday? I am in wave 2.

Good stuff. Yea I'm in the same wave. Starting at 15:10. Race no 259. I will text you on the way down. I plan to be there between 13:00 and 13:30. Transition and reg close at 14:00.

Really looking forward to it.

Tues 28 June PM
    RUN Race Series 2ml
    11.9km Total

I missed the last one of these on Sat evening, which was ran as part of the Raheny Summer Festival, as I was at the festival with the family queing for bouncy castles, candy floss, the reptile village, balloons, games etc. It was a great set up, with lots for the kids.

Anyway, last night I had planned to run it but not race it. I had hoped to get in ahead of the 2 young lads though - 'christeb and foleyalan'. I went out at a nice pace just behind christeb, and foleyalan created a good gap ahead of us. I thought about going with him but decided to stay where I was. Came through mile 1 in a quicker than I had thought we were running - 6:01 - didn't feel that quick. I passed christeb then and kept at a slightly increased paced for the first side of the 2nd lap. Then picked it up just slightly more for the second side. I could see foley alan ahead possibly 100 to 200m away. I got round the last bend for the final straight (the final straight being about 500m long) and started to give it welly. I knew I wasn't going to get near foleyalan, but had a good snigger to myself as I watched him glancing back 4 or 5 times as he got closer to the line. :) I put on the big sprint finish with the legs turning over well for a finish of 11:49.

As a comparison:
    Date Time Splits Pos HR
    21 June 11:35 5:38, 5:57 11th 185/194
    28 June 11:49 6:01, 5:48 13th 182/192 Pace this week: 5:55/ml, 3:40/km.

So, for a fairly easy first lap and a 'progressive' 2nd lap (and a much easier feel to the whole race) I came within 14secs of last weeks time. Therefore, the plan for next week will be a 5:45, 5:40 respectively for lap 1 and 2. We'll see how it goes!

Plan for the rest of the week pre TriAthlone:
    Wed PM Easy Bike ~40km
    Thurs AM Group Swim
    Fri Lunchtime Easy Run.

Is Athlone your first Tri of the season Mac?

You're going well with your run obviously and your swim times are looking good and strong. You must be feeling good and planning a good fast one too. Enjoy and best of luck.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is Athlone your first Tri of the season Mac?

You're going well with your run obviously and your swim times are looking good and strong. You must be feeling good and planning a good fast one too. Enjoy and best of luck.

2nd for the season pg. I did the N Tipp Sprint earlier in the season.
    Yea happy enough with the way things are going so far. And yes, I am planning to go as fast as humanly possible as a Macanri can go!:D I won't be holding back!

Wed 29 June PM
    Bike 39km

I was faffing about the house after putting the young lad to bed as herself went for her walk after they were in bed. Then I remembered to replace the old schawlbe tyres with the new Ultremo R1s. Front one went grand and then Mrs M came back from her walk and was sitting at the kitchen table filling in a form while I tackled the rear tyre. Got all on eventually and started to pump it up. Pump, pump, pump, *BANG*. "Ah F*ck" says I. "I knew that was going to happen - the way you were pumping that" says she.
    I had to bite my tongue! :)

So got sorted then and headed for a handy enough spin. I was trying to keep the HR below 150.
    39km, 1:18, 30kph av, 49mx, 98 av Cad, HR 151/171.

Thurs 30 June AM
    Group Swim 2000m LC

I was hoping for an easy session - it wasn't to be!

WU 200 kick (lovely!), 100BrSt, 2 x 100 FS (hold each stroke for 2sec)
    2 x (4x50 OW swim start and sprint + 400FS)
    CD 100 BrSt arms FS kick, 2 x 100.

I was shagged at the end of each 4x50 and felt tired for the 400s as a result.
    I don't know what way to tackle the swim on Sat. Possibly stay 2 or 3 back or stay out near the edge. I will try a fast start and ease back a bit then.

Classic scenario with the tyre change! You did well to bite your tongue! :D

At least you can do that. One boardsie, who comments on your log, had to get his wife to show him how to change a tube not so long back! :D

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Classic scenario with the tyre change! You did well to bite your tongue! :D

At least you can do that. One boardsie, who comments on your log, had to get his wife to show him how to change a tube not so long back! :D

Yea it was a classic alright. I must have pinched the tube. I gave it a good check the second time round before pumping it up.

I have a good idea who your refering to! Sure there's always something to learn, for any of us.

Advertisement