Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Howya MCOS, yea I'ld say it's not that accurate. But you can enter users onto it, and enter in height, gender and age. I don't know. But I'ld say that if I keep using the same scales then the readings will be relative to that scales, but may be different to another scales, so it will still give some indication. It also has an athlete mode. When placed in this mode it gave the same weight but it gave a BF of 8.7% and body water of 60ish% ??? Don't understand that at all!

The legs have had that just been excercised feeling you get after a hard session or after doing nothing for a while. I think fitness is very fickle in that you can loose it very quickly. Anyway plan for the weekend is repeat the same run tonight, swim sat and maybe short bike later and then increase run distance (slightly) on Sun. Then will increase slightly again next week and get some form of a plan together for the 6 weeks leading to my first sprint tri in Portlaoise on April 10th. What was I thinking signing up to one so early. Don't think I'll be breaking any records, but it will be a learning experience.

Fri 19 Feb. 20:00
    Run 5.3km

It felt tougher this evening as the legs were still tired from Wed night. Did 10min walk to warm up. Into the house to stretch. Then 10min run - 2.1km (4:46/km, HR 175avg), 5 min walk, 15min run - 3.2km (4:41/km, HR 181avg) and 5 min walk and in the door to stretch. Did 30 pushups, 20 crunches and 20 squats. Have to do some core work also.
    The achilles was niggling during the second run, ****. But don't feel it now. Still a bit coughy but I think the exercise helps to clear the chest a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Good to see you back in action Macanri
    You seem to be taking it handy enough getting back intol the full swing of things (which is good)
    Listen to your body and you'll be back tearing up Raheny with christeb again in no length
    Very impressive speed out of you when you're on form!

Cheers Dusty,
    Yea easing my self back into the running as instructed by the physio. Last thing I want is to be held up again, at least the rest was early in the year. Looking forward to a few sessions again with christeb, but I have to get a few runs in on my own to work up the distance first. In relation to the speed there's plenty around these parts can go alot faster.
    My cycling and swimming need work, there's no speed there - yet:rolleyes:. I'm on a Dawes mountain bike, but I don't plan to go to the expense of changing it until I have one or two tris under the belt.
    I have been in the water on and off for most of my life, but never got any lessons. So I really have a lot to learn and a lot of bad habits to iron out. I will plug away at it. The swimming lessons have helped and I need to get time in the water now. Heading to the pool this evening for a session.

You have some run distance done and you seem to be coming along nice and steady at the swimming.

I might see you at one of the early tris. I had planned to do the Naas duathlon tomorrow but it would be too much at this stage. Defo doing the next one and will see about the Phoneix Park one next Sun.

The plan for this evening changed as Mrs Macanris uncle was home from america and didn't get time to go to the pool, so went for the cycle this evening instead was going to go shorter but felt ok and added another few kms. Lucky enough as it only started to rain/sleet half way through the cycle and has got alot heavier since.

Sat 20 Feb. 20:00

Cycle: 18km 00:42:32 Avg 25.4km/h. HR 166avg 183max.

Run planned for midday tomorrow and swim at 20:00, all going well.

Just looked outside the front door and there's about half an inch of snow. How's that for timing!

• Advertisement

A good day's training had. Went for a run midday stepped it up to 20min run after my walk and stretches. Then 5 min walk break and another 20 min run. The legs were fairly tired during it. This week has given them some shock after a nice long rest for them.
    Sun 21 Feb 12:30, Run 8km 4.1km 20mins 4:53/km HR 169avg 177max, 3.9km 19:18mins 4:57/km HR 172avg 177max.

So after we got the kids to bed I headed to the pool. Well chuffed with the session. 75 WU, then did 3 sets of 5 x 50m (~20sec rec). Waited for my HR to go down under 130 between sets, which took about 2 mins. All the 50m were done in 1:04 to 1:09, so fairly consistent, not fast but consistent. I concentrated on keeping my feet pointed and kicking more than normal, my fingers closed, a long stroke, leaving my leading hand out until the recovery arm was near complete. All of this seemed to help me swim more smoothly. Some of the lengths I started to trash a bit and then I just concentrated again and swam smoother again. I finished with 75m CD. Half way through the first CD length I decided to close my fists to see what that was like. Ok for the first few strokes and then I found I had no real support for turning to take a breath. Feckin hell I took on water to beat the band. Was not easy. So am well pleased with the session. 5 x 50 off say 1:30 = 7:30 x 3 = 22:30 + 4 = 26:30. So if I did the tri like that I would complete it in 26:30, hmmm. Needs work.
    Sun 21 Feb 20:00, Swim 900m

I have been toying with the idea of heading to the NAC some mornings before work over the next few weeks (work is close to NAC). This would free up time for bike and run in the evenings and weekends.

W/ending 21.02.10
    Swim: 1550m (2 sessions)
    Cycle: 18km/11.2miles (1 sess)
    Run: 17.3km/10.8miles (3 sess)

Feels great to be back training thank God.

Had a rest day Mon after training the previous 3 days in a row, being sensible lazy as I'm getting back into it. Weight on Mon morn at 7am:
    22.02 73.5kg, BF 20.5%, BW 54.3%, MM 40.0%, BMI 24.9 comparing to last week:
    16.02 73.6kg, BF 21.2%, BW 53.7%, MM 39.6%, BMI 24.9 Not much change. Not really looking for change, just logging it for the craic.

Tues 23 Feb 20:00
    Swim Lesson No. 6 of 10
    900m
    We did 75m WU and then 2 sets of Pyrimads from 25m to 100m and back to 25m. 25m CD. Approx 20 - 30 sec rec between each step and about 3 min rest between each pyr. I kicked better on the first set than on the second.

No plan made yet for the following weeks but rest of this week should look something like: Wed run, Thurs bike, Fri am swim, pm run, Sat bike, Sun am run, pm swim. We will see!

Wed 24 Feb 20:00
    Run 8.6km(5.3miles) Raheny Winter Series Rd 6
    No watch, no HRM
    Warm up, some stretches, 2m race (training run - 11:57 my last time here, picked a time of 14 mins, 1st mile 6:20 so slowed down and came in in 13:50), cool down run and stretches.
    Home in time to have shower and then my folks called round after been to the cinema in the big smoke.!

Thurs 25 Feb. 22:00:eek:

Cycle: 19.6km
    00:43:58 Avg 26.7km/h. HR 166avg 182max.
    Came home to discover that Mrs M's yoga class has changed from 7:30 to 8:30, so had to wait 'til she got back before I could head out. Found it tough enough on the legs and the calves were cramping up a few times especially when I'ld push down on the pedals during accelleration. Counted my cadence over 10secs a few times round 9ranged from (12 to 16 in 10 secs, so 72 to 96). Got to bed at 23:30 ish and up at 5:45 this morning to go to the NAC.

Fri 26 Feb. 06:20
    Swim (NAC 50m pool!!) 1200m

So arrived at the NAC, spectacular building. A bit overwhelmed/intimidated by the length of the pool. Did 100m FC WU. 3 sets of 6 x 50m all FC (coming in on 1:02 to 1:10) taking more rec than I really should have ranging from 25 secs to 1 min!! Then CD of 200m - 1 FC length in 55sec, 1 BrS length, 1 FC length in 55sec again, and finished with 1 BkS length.

Into the changing rooms to discover that I had forgotten my towel due to thinking more about getting out of the house earlier without waking the kids (Mrs. M said if I woke them I wouldn't be going again!) Had everything else ready from the night before. Had water in my ear all morning, I just couldn't shake it out. Seems to be gone now, must have evaporated?

Run planned for tonight. I will have to do up a plan for the next couple of weeks over the weekend. I'm going to take Thurs evenings off from now on (and I can watch Lost).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Whats the story with the NAC Macanri, I am up in dublin a good bit for work with time to kill (doss). Never swam in a 50m pool, is it open to the public all the time??

• Advertisement

Yea open to the public all the time AFAIK. It changes from 25m to 50m pool at different times and is different prices at peak and off peak times. I will post more detail later. Going for a run now!

Ok so CW, back from the run. Mon - Fri 6am-9:30am 50m €8; after 9:30 it changes to 25m. Mon, Wed and Fri 3-4pm 50m €8, 4-7pm 50m €14. Tues & Thurs remains at 25m 'til close at 10pm. Mon & Wed 7:30-10pm 25m €8. Fri 7-10pm 50m €8. Sat & Sun 8-10am 50m €8, 10:30-3:30 25m €14, 4-6pm 50m €14 and 6-8pm 50m €8. I quoted just the adult prices.

That info was on a leaflet I picked up this morning. I will try and scan it at work and paste it here.

Fri 26 Feb. 20:00
    Run 10.4km (6.5mls)

A tough run this evening. Still following the physios plan so did 5min run to warm up. Into the house to stretch. Then 22:20run - 4.6km (4:51/km, HR 169avg 176max), 2 min walk, 23:35min run - 4.8km (4:55/km, HR 174avg 180max) and in the door to stretch. Very little sense of anything from the Achilles.

Thinking about plan for next few weeks. Thinking of doing 6 days a week with 1 double day = 7 sessions. So 2 disciplines twice and 1 three times. The 3 will be the swim sessions for now. Now, where's them tables....

Sat 27 Feb. 17:30

Cycle: 33km
    01:11:20 Avg 27.8km/h. HR 164avg 177max.
    Happy enough with that cycle, planned to take it handy but was feeling good so I tried to keep the cadence highish and used the big front gear more. My target is to hit 30km/hr on the mountain bike over the next while. No cramps today thank God.

Sun 28 Feb. 12:30
    Run 10.7km (6.7mls)

So the last part of the physios plan was to run about 35 - 40mins straight. Went well enough, could feel the achilles very slightly towards the end, but nothing much really. So after the warm up I did 9.7km in 43:30, 4:30/km or 7:15/mile HR 168avg 177max.

Weighed my self Sat morn:
    16.02 73.6kg, BF 21.2%, BW 53.7%, MM 39.6%, BMI 24.9
    22.02 73.5kg, BF 20.5%, BW 54.3%, MM 40.0%, BMI 24.9
    27.02 72.1kg, BF 19.6%, BW 55.1%, MM 40.5%, BMI 24.4

Sun 28 Feb. 20:00
    Swim 1000m - 25m pool

Wanted to see how far I could swim in one go and also time it:
    Did 100m WU then did 225m (9 lengths) in 05:57. As soon as I finished the 9 lenghts I knew I could have done 10 so I really should have tried a bit harder, but at the end of the 9 I was feeling like I couldn't do another! After that did a few more FC lengths, then a few BkSt and one butterfly, a few brst stroke and then some more Fc lengths in 50m stints to finish.

Sat down yesterday and came up with a plan for the next 6 weeks which will lead me up to Try Laois.
    Mon (Double) am: Swim, pm: Cycle
    Tues: Swim (lessons for the next 4 weeks)
    Wed: Run (Tempo or Intervals)
    Thurs: Rest Day
    Fri: Swim
    Sat: Cycle
    Sun: Run

Have to add in some core work somewhere too.

W/ending 28.02.10
    Swim: 3100m (3 sessions)
    Cycle: 52.6km/32.7miles (2 sess)
    Run: 29.7km/18.5miles (3 sess)

Mon 1 Mar. 06:20
    Swim 1500m (NAC 50m pool)

Did 100m FC WU. 3 sets of 6 x 50m all FC (coming in on 1:00 to 1:10) off 1:30, one or two were off more (2:00) tut tut. Then did 10 x 50m at my leisure.

Mon 1 Mar 20:00
    Cycle 27.4km
    01:04:00 Avg 25.7km/h. HR 150avg 173max. Took it easy enough.

Tues 02 Mar 20:00
    Swim Lesson No. 7 of 10

600m We had the same instructor last night as the first lesson. I find her better on technique. FC first - I have to concentrate on stretching out my stroke, she was happy enough with my kicking, (I thought I didn't kick enough?)
    Then into back stroke and she showed us how to turn off the wall.
    Then breast stroke. First time that I was able to do the correct stroke. I had a lot of bad habits from my own method of BrSt. I was actually able to glide a bit.
    Then she had us doing a bit of feet first and head first schulling. So an enjoyable session had.

Wed 3 Mar 20:30
    Run 6 x 400m intervals

I discovered a grit surfaced running track about a mile from the house while on Google maps a while back, so decided to head up there for my intervals. The track was dark enough but about half was lit by street lights. I did 1 lap slow to see if there were any holes or any obstructions. Each lap was followed by a lap slow as a recovery. The laps were 74, 72, 73, 75, 75 and 73, so from 4:50 to 5:02/mile pace. HR for the laps ~175ish avg, high 180s max.

Total run 8.6km (5.3mls). Happy with the times. I had tought on the way up that knowing I can run a 6min mile that I would be happy with anything under 90secs, so when I saw the watch after the fist lap I was surprised but satisfied.

Rest day tomorrow and a chance to see what's the next twist in the tale of Lost! I'ld say the legs will know all about it in the morning, I can feel the muscles starting to murrmer now, ready to scream tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Going well Mac i see! Good job on those 400m! Any races on this weekend?

Thanks El D, happy enough the way things are going at the minute. You're going well yourself. I have no comprehension how some of you guys can swim so fast. I'm just happy enough at the minute to be swimming the distance.
    No races this week end. Apart from running around after our two wee ones.
    Signed up for the Naas Duathlon series next Sun. Only discovered today (due to advertisements) that it's Mothers Day that day. Sh1t.

Fri 5 Mar 20:00
    Swim 1200m

100m WU, Then 10 x 100m with 30sec rest. 100m CD.
    I got the feeling that from speaking to the instructor the other night that I should be concentrating more on my stroke and less on my time. So I decided to ignore the watch (except for rest period) and concentrate on a long stroke. Fairly happy with the session considering I had not enough sleep the last two nights.

• Advertisement

Sat 6 Mar
    BRICK 17:00 Cycle 25km, Run 4.1km

Decided to do a brick in readiness for the duathlon next Sun. Cycle was 25km in 53mins, 28.3km/hr, HR 166avg 182max. Then put bike into shed, change shorts and out the door. Run 4.1km in 17:11 (4:11/km or 6:36/ml) HR 172avg 181max. Did 1km WU and 2km CD.

Was cramping on the end of the bike section, and then slightly at the start of the run, but it settled bown by keeping the strides shorter and then I stretched out and upped the pace. Got some Nuun tablets today and mixed that and took it before and during the cycle. I had heard that it was great for preventing cramps. Not the case for me today. I don't know what I can do to prevent cramps, any and all suggestions welcome.

LSR tomorrow.

Sun 7 Mar 11:00
    16.1km

LSR 1km WU, stretches then 16.1km in 01:16:20 4:44/km (7:38/ml) HR 165avg 180max. Decided to do kms 4 to 8 at a quicker pace than the rest. So kind of tempoish in the end.

W/ending 07.03.10
    Swim: 3300m (3 sessions)
    Cycle: 52.4km/32.5miles (2 sess)
    Run: 32.8km/20.4miles (3 sess) (incl 1 C/R Brick)

Mon 8 Mar 6:30
    Swim (NAC 50m) 1500m

No WU. Did 500m, 400, 300, 200 and 100m in sets of 100m not on time but with 30 to 45 secs rec (prob a bit too much rec).

Mon 8 Mar 20:15
    Cycle 38.4km (3 x 12.8km loop)

Tried to take it handyish, but didn't, 01:25:30, 26.9km/h, HR 156avg 178max.

Have to jiggle the plan for the end of the week due to duathlon on Sun, but want to keep the training up for the sprint tri on April 10.

Tues 09 Mar 20:00
    Swim Lesson No. 8 of 10
    700m We had the same instructor again as the first lesson. I did 150m WU on my own before the lesson started. FC first - Again concentrating on stretching out my stroke and kicking a little more and keeping my legs close together when kicking. Did a few lengths backstroke and then one back and one FC, then BrSt and finished with a few dives and fininshing the length. She timed one of the last of these. I came in on 19secs.
    I counted my strokes for the first couple of lengths during the WU and I was 31 strokes for the 25m!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Macanri wrote: »
    Have to jiggle the plan for the end of the week due to duathlon on Sun, but want to keep the training up for the sprint tri on April 10.

Doing the Naas one?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Doing the Naas one?

Yea mloc, going to do the Naas one. This will be my first of any sort of tri or duathlon (multi event) so really looking forward to it at the mo. Have you been to any of these? I'm looking for directions from the N7 to the parking spot and registration spot.

Wed 10 Mar 20:00
    Run Raheny Shamrock Winter League Round 7 - 1 mile

Did 3.9km WU. Then ran the race hoping for under 5:45 (if asked) secretly thinking about sub 5:30, Was fugging delighted to hear the bloke call out my time as 5:23 as I crossed the finish line. PB as it was my first 1 miler! I pushed the whole way round, but held back the push push until the final 100m or so, should have really push pushed from about 200 - 300m from the end as I felt I had a bit left in the tank. HR for the mile was 187avg, 191max. Did a good slow WD of 7.7km, timed 6km of this which was 31:30, 5:15/km or 8:23/mile, HR 162/171.

Going to swim in the morning and then rest (watch Lost and do the ironing (brownie points making up for doing the duathlon this Mothers Day!!)) tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Macanri wrote: »
    Yea mloc, going to do the Naas one. This will be my first of any sort of tri or duathlon (multi event) so really looking forward to it at the mo. Have you been to any of these? I'm looking for directions from the N7 to the parking spot and registration spot.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3535653

This is the route I would take, easy enough to follow. Parking wise, there is a huge car park out there so that should not be an issue... make your way into the stand for registration and transition... follow the crowds :d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

5:23, nice going, very nice!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats pretty quick, I must try one of those mile runs this year and see what I can get around in. Pity we lost sub5 or no beers log, he woukld have been stroking his chin reading that

Advertisement