Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Fri 01 July LTime
    Easy Run 4.5km w/ 5x60m Strides

HR catching up with the legs!

A nice handy run in the sun along the canal, with some strides thrown in to liven the legs up for Saturdays TriAthlone exertions. I just did about 60m for each of the strides, and at the end of each one my HR was from 160 to 163, but a few second after I slowed up the HR would jump up to 170 or 175, still feeling the effort even though the legs had finished the strides a few seconds before!
    So, all done in 23:23 (11:30 for the out, 11:53 for the back), 5:12/km, 8:22/ml, HR 151/175

Sat 02 July 15:00
    TriAthlone Standard Distance

1500/37.2/10.5 – 2:16:39 PB?; O/A 39th/378, AG 11th/104

For my own info, I had my usual pre race breakfast of porridge and banana, boiled egg, tea and toast around 10. Then had a coffee before I hit the road. And on the way down I had a cold pasta mix at ~midday. I arrived into Athlone about 12:45 after dropping of the hitch hiker who I picked up near Celbridge (who was very quiet – feckin' serial killer quiet!). Anyway, I parked up in a quiet cul de sac west of the army barracks, got the bike and transition bag and headed for transition and registration. Met up with jackyback for a quick chat and he was over his stomach problems and was looking forward to tackling the swim and bike as a training session. We were in the same wave so we arranged to meet before the off, as I headed to get my gear and he headed for the race briefing. On the way out of the barracks to get the gear I met Gavin Noble who was going the same way, so I had a bit of a natter with him - no airs of grace about him, fairly down to earth. I wished him luck for the race and he did likewise – cool. I hoped some of his speed rubbed off on me!

I decided to do the race without the HRM for once, and I was determined to give it my all and see how I got on. I was wearing the Activ Multisport club gear too, so wanted to represent them well.

Swim 25:19 (1:41/100m); AG 30th/104

Met up with JB and jogged up towards the swim start. I decided to try putting the race belt on under the wetsuit as per discussions here during the week. But as I took down the wetsuit to go for a leak on the way to the start I ‘nearly’ tore one edge off the race bib (thankfully it stayed on the 2 clips ‘til the end – but one to watch for next time). I met Paul from the Drogheda Scout group just before getting into the water. As I went to put on my old goggles the right-hand strap came away from the frame and the clip fell in the water – cue a quiet panic! As it was going through my head to just tie it on, Paul came out with the same line. So I tied three quick knots in it and it stayed intact for the whole swim, thank God - I had visions of trying to complete the swim without goggles. Then as I started to swim out to the start line I noticed that I still had my wedding ring on. It is not very tight and I always take it off when I am in the water – be it OW or in the pool. So I had to think about that for the swim and kept 'thumbing' at it throughout the swim – at least it made sure I kept my fingers together during the stroke!
    The swim course was changed to the alternate route (1200m downstream / 300m upstream). This was due to the current caused by the rain earlier in the week, but although there was a flow, it wasn’t any worse than when I did the sprint here last year.

So we lined up for the countdown; 3-2 and I was moving (no point hanging around). I was up the front of my little group and level with another group about 10m to my left. I swam hard for a few seconds and then settled a bit. I was moving well and a few people caught up. I then realised that I probably should have went to the race briefing as I didn’t know what side of the buoys to be aiming for or what part of the bridge to swim under. I didn’t let it get to me and decided to follow the lead group. It was uneventful for a good while until I got a dig on the side of the head and the goggle came off one eye but sucked back on again without me having to touch it and didn’t let any water in – sweet. To have a good race day you need a lot of things to line up, and luck is one of those things which lined up well for me on Saturday. About 3 or 400m before the turnaround I caught a pair of feet which were swimming at my pace and I had to work to stay on them. I made sure I kept on them as I knew if I could do that then I would get an easier swim on the upstream section once we turned the buoy. I stayed on his feet for 200m or so and caught another pair of similar paced feet. So I stayed on these until about 50m out from the finish. The sunny weather made for a very enjoyable swim and I was very happy with the way it went. The actual swimming time is probably 30 to 60 secs quicker due to the run to the mat.

T1 1:36; AG 2nd/104

The run into and out of both T1 and T2 in Athlone is quite long and I think that this year the timing mats were moved closer to the transition area because transition times seem to be about a minute quicker generally this year. I ran up to T1 at a good clip and only started to take the wetsuit off when I got closer to the bike area. Suit off, lid on and clipped, glasses on and I was away. Not having to clip on the race belt is definitely quicker; just turn it round from front to back. One of the elastics had come off the shoes on the bike, so I had to think how I would tackle that as I ran for the mount line.

Bike (37.2km?) 01:05:02; AG 25th/104
    (Bike computer: 01:06:10, 37.5km (would include the run out and in), 33.9kph av, 47.7mx, av Cad 102)

I decided to do a half arsed leap of faith and got the feet on to the shoes. I got a good momentum going before I tried to slip in my feet. I really have to do something about getting the feet into the shoes on the bike cause as per usual I was getting them stuck, and fumbling, and trying to reef them into the shoes – desperate bad. I took a normal High5 gel after 1 or 2 km. The bike I suppose was uneventful enough; but I worked my ass off. I was passed by a few on blinged out bikes and I passed a few as well (incl MTBs probably from the first wave). I didn’t notice any real drafting going on and later heard of people getting pulled over for drafting. I noticed the marshal woman from last year standing at a junction on the bike course jumping up and down and shouting and waving her flag. I was delighted she was on the bike course as she wrecked me head on the 2 laps of the run last year and I was glad I wouldn’t have to pass her 4 times on the run course later (someone in the triAthlone organisation has sense!). It was tough enough going in places on the way out with slight gradients and a small breeze coming cross to head-on. But I knew it was going to be fun on the way back. And it was, I was motoring well back, and passed a few more, but the legs were letting me know what I was putting them through. On the way out (~15km or so) I got the strangest feeling in the muscles on the very outside of my hips/thighs (as if there was a very moveable and malleable weight in a pocket attached to both sides of my trisuit) – very strange. I was thinking oh no, me two ITBs are going to pop! Only lasted for a few kms though? Anyway, I took another gel just before the turnaround (a powerbar this time – which was very gloopy, so washed it down with water). I ran out of water about 10km from home and was glad I had left the High5 Isogel til last (again lady luck shone, as I had just randomly taken them). I took that last gel just before the end of the bike. I was delighted to be back in the town and took the feet out of the shoes and dismounted just on the line at a great pace; and legged it towards transition.

T2 1:23; AG 5th/104

Again flew into transition. The hill on the way in is tough though. Racked the bike, helmet and glasses off, runners straight on and away, turning the belt as I go.

Run (10.5km?) 43:21 (4:08/km, 6:39/ml); AG 3rd/104

I was running well straight away and kept at a constant enough pace which I thought I could sustain for the distance. I got great shouts from Martina from the Thurs swim group, and El D who were in the crowd and gave him a high five on the 2nd lap. There was a great crowd in the town and that is something special. As usual I enjoyed the run but I found it tough enough. Looking back I probably could have (and probably should have) gone a bit harder to shave another 30 – 60 secs off the time. At both ‘ends’ of the run course you have to do a 180 degree turn, and I found this drop in pace and then pushing back to the pace frustrating. In general the run course is a bit of a disaster, especially having to do the lap 4 times for the standard distance. There are sections where the runners are running two ways on the same stretch, divided just by an ankle-high barrier. And due to the amount on the course from each of the distances and from different waves it is just choc-a-bloc. The whole thing is like the start of a running race - weaving in and out around people getting an elbow in your arm here and there where you misjudge the gaps. It was a passing fest for me. A handful passed me and they were fairly moving. During the 2nd lap a 50ish year old woman from the crowd walked straight out in front of me and I was lucky to avoid a collision; I let a roar when I had passed “Ah c’mon, for f*ck sakes” (and then was immediately sorry I had said that):o. There is a short sharp hill on the course about 100m long or so, and each time I came to it I eased up it slightly to keep the legs fresher for the rest of the lap; and each time counting down how many more times I had to run up it. The laps went quick enough and I saw Jackyback making his way round, and he gave me a shout. He looked to be taking it handy enough – wise decision from him so close to his A goal. On the 3rd lap I had to think long and hard for a few minutes to figure out was this my last lap or did I have another one? (Later I discovered that one of the lads from the Drogheda Tri club had made this error and was disqualified as a result of only running 3 laps – tough going – it is a very easy mistake to make, particularly because the lap doesn’t actually start immediately after transition, but starts when you first pass the finish line – so you have to run the part from transition to the finish line area 5 times – confused? – try figuring it out while you’re trying to run a race!) On the last lap having crested the hill I pushed the pace on another gear, and after another km or so I was sprinting up the finishing chute, passing a lad who went to attack at my sprint, but knew better;) and eased back from his attack as I kept sprinting for the line. I knew I was close to the PB and was very happy with how I swam, biked, and ran.

I met a ball of people before and after it, so got sidetracked getting home, and didn’t arrive in the door til after 21:30. I met up with JBack and Abhainn after the race and headed back to transition with them.

I have to say it was a very well organised race with great marshalling by triAthlone. And fair play to the army for the use of the barracks and putting up the pontoon for the swim entry/exit. There’s a good area for the finish line, where people head into the square. But I think the layout of the run course could and should be changed to 2 accurately measured 5km laps, as it’s just too crowded.

On the way through the town later I was cycling along and cycled up beside Gavin Noble and said a quick hello again. It was only later that I was thinking that I should have wished him well in his Olympic preparations!

I need to study the course better for the next ones I do as I was left wondering what I should be doing.

I can’t understand why events can’t make sure that the 3 distances are correct. It’s not feckin rocket science, and at least then you can compare like with like and only consider the difficulties of each course; choppy water, hilly or windy bike and run, etc.

My previous standard distance PB of 2:16:50 was set in Carlingford which I think had a bike course of around 37km too. Next up for me is Lough Neagh standard distance and is more accurately measured AFAIK, (I did 2:21:xx last year) so I will be trying to better that on 30th July. I need to get a bit more sleep and also cut down on the crap food intake – I am 74kg now and would like to get down to71 or 72kg before then. Another rambling report - but sure there you go!

Sun 03 July PM
    Recovery Run 4.1km

A very easy run on very tired legs. 4.1km in 23:53, 5:50/km, 9:22/ml, HR 135/146 – an all time low running HRavg.

Weekly Milage
    Swim 5600m - 2100 OW, 2000, 1500Race
    Bike 103.6km - 24.6, 39, 37 Race and 3km Warm up/commute
    Run 31.5km - 11.9, 4.5, 10.5 Race, 0.5 WU, 4.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I had to laugh at the look on your face when the goggle strap broke....priceless. Good racing Mac and you were fairly nailing both the bike and the run when i seen you. I might join Activ for the Tri Suit alone as it really stands out:)
    Good to catch up with you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I might join Activ for the Tri Suit alone as it really stands out:)

it's a bit like a pair of flash football boots though. You really need to have a certain level of talent to be able to carry it off or people will just laugh at you.

disclaimer - I aren't saying neither of you have the required level of talent... me on the other hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done in Athlone Mac. Super racing. :cool:

How's the body after it? Hope the legs are fine. The incident on the bike with the ITBs sounds like a weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done Mac in Athlone :) I was making my way from Dublin to Galway for a 30th (came home very late Sat night from Spain) I found out the race was in the afternoon so I stopped in for a look. Very jealous of everybody - would have loved to be racing, the atmosphere there is like nowhere else. Myself and Linda had a great laugh when I saw you first and gave you some support - you nearly broke your neck looking back to see who it was....I was sorry then I did it as you could have easily tripped up on a very crowed run.

Well done again - GO Activ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Serious result - nice day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great meeting you Mick. You are some man for the speel alright
    Fantastic result, fair play

I had to laugh at the look on your face when the goggle strap broke....priceless. Good racing Mac and you were fairly nailing both the bike and the run when i seen you. I might join Activ for the Tri Suit alone as it really stands out:)
    Good to catch up with you again.

LMAO when I read that - yea I suppose my face kind of dropped. Thanks for helping me look around the water for the clip anyway, before I decided to tie the strap on.
    it's a bit like a pair of flash football boots though. You really need to have a certain level of talent to be able to carry it off or people will just laugh at you.

disclaimer - I aren't saying neither of you have the required level of talent... me on the other hand :D

Ah I wouldn't worry about the colour of the suit. Good luck for your tri in Monaghan BTW, I know you're approaching it as a training day, but all the best anyway.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Well done in Athlone Mac. Super racing. :cool:

How's the body after it? Hope the legs are fine. The incident on the bike with the ITBs sounds like a weird one.

Yea, Don't know what the ITB thing was. The legs were still a little tender yesterday, but they wern't to bad today, thanks.

What's the next race for you?
    Well done Mac in Athlone :) I was making my way from Dublin to Galway for a 30th (came home very late Sat night from Spain) I found out the race was in the afternoon so I stopped in for a look. Very jealous of everybody - would have loved to be racing, the atmosphere there is like nowhere else. Myself and Linda had a great laugh when I saw you first and gave you some support - you nearly broke your neck looking back to see who it was....I was sorry then I did it as you could have easily tripped up on a very crowed run.

Well done again - GO Activ! ;)

LMAO again. I didn't realise I was rubbernecking to see who it was. I knew I recognised the voice, but just couldn't place it. No worries, as I wouldn't have looked round if I thought I was going to trip over someone.
    It was a great buzz from the crowd on the run alright.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Great meeting you Mick. You are some man for the speel alright
    Fantastic result, fair play

I had to read that twice - I thought it read 'speed'. But, yea you're right - I do talk some sh!te. :D

Mon 04 July AM
    Swim 2600m

Did the 2nd Set 3rd Session. (should have done the 4th as I did the 3rd last week)
    The legs were a bit wrecked so it was a struggle at times. I was in a lane on my own; and halfway through the 200s another bloke got in the same lane. We met at the end of the pool and I could not believe it when it turned out to be no other than Gavin Noble - how feckin mad is that! So I said a quick hello again and finished out the 200s - he was taking it easy apparently. Anyway when I had finished I finally got to wish him well for the Olympics!

WU 1 x 200,
    6x50 Side Kick (did 50L, 50R then alternated the rest as L Kick, stroke, R Kick etc)
    6x200 off 4:00 (in 3:47, 52, ~55 - then increased the 'off' to 4:15)
    2x100 Drill (25 LArm, 25RArm, 25Kick, 25Swim)
    2x100 easy - I was wrecked
    6x50 off 1:00 (in 50 to 55sec - then increased to 1:10)
    2x100 CD

A bit of a junk session to be fair!

Mon PM
    Bike 38.8km

I approached this as an easy/recovery bike, but I seemed to be turning over well and assisted by the wind more than I was been hindered, it was mostly easy as suggested by the lower HR.
    31kph av, 46.7mx, Cadence sensor never kicked in at the start for some reason - second time that has happened! HR 146/165.

Tues 05 July PM
    Run Race Series 2ml
    10.4km Total

I had planned to do the first lap in about 5:40 to 45, and then try and negative split the second in 5:35 to 40, for an 11:25 to 30 finish.

I met up with christeb and foleyalan (and his bro shels4ever - who was spectating - nice to meet you) and we did a warm up mile. We discussed each others plans for the race as we stood or stretched.

We lined up and I was out in front, and was then soon passed by the 2 young bucks. foley alan was increasing the gap and christeb was running a good pace and looked relaxed. I sat just off him and felt good for the first lap. I passed him just before the last bend of the first lap and came through mile 1 in 5:41 - grand. We turned the corner then and onto the first straight of the triangular course, and Johny behind us who was using us a s pacers shouted out "keep it steady". Christeb passed me along here and started to bridge th ~30m gap to foleyalan. (there were a few others around us but I was not paying attention to them). Onto the 2nd straight and christeb is only 10m or so off foleyalan and I'm 2 or 3m off christeb and feeling the pace and working to stay with him. As christeb passed alan he increased the pace a bit so I pushed it on another bit to stay with c. We rounded the last corner for the home straight and c was about 3m ahead. I decided to make a go for it half way up the finishing straight and then the race began. christeb started to push, I increased the pace more - the legs were going 90. It was the hardest I have gone in a sprint finish and I was happy to get across the line just before christeb. As I said at the start of this series, these lads are going to give me a good run for my money, well, christeb absolutely ran the legs clean off me. Tough going. Thankfully he is on a weeks holidays and won't be around next week! :)
    I crossed the line in 11:19, just 5 secs off my PB for this course. christeb finished with a 4 sec PB. It was a perfect evening for the race - dry, cloudy and not too cold or too warm.

Comparison:
    Date Time Splits Pos HR
    21 June 11:35 5:38, 5:57 11th 185/194
    28 June 11:49 6:01, 5:48 13th 182/192 Pace 5:55/ml, 3:40/km.
    05 July 11:19 5:41, 5:38 5th 186/196 Pace 5:39.5/ml, 3:31/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nice one mac, been a good week for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done there Mac, you were going like a train for the last 50m...

Well done on the 2 miler Mac, you are beginning to step it up now which is good to see.

Wed 06 July
    Rest

I had debated whether to go to the pool in the morning time and then debated about doing something in the evening - I took a rest day the body was/is tired.

Thurs 07 July AM
    Group Swim LC 2900m

WU 400 FS (sighting through every second 50)
    800 kick w/ fins (50 no splash, 50 big splash)
    8 x [150 FS Build (10 sec RT) , 2 x 25 Sprint (5 sec RT)] w/ fins
    CD 100

Half way through the session my toes were starting to feel sore from the fins. I got a nice blister on one of my toes as a result.

Thurs PM
    Bike 38.9km / Run 8.4km Brick

I added 4 x 3min all out with a 2 min recovery on the bike for a bit of intensity. I did them early and was fairly spent on any small incline after that. 38.9km in 1:11, 32.3kph av, 52.5mx, 99 av Cad, HR 159/184.
    The transition took about 5 mins.
    I was moving welll and covered the first 2.5km in 9:50ish, which was propably a bit to pushed. A/O 8.4km in 33:53, 4:02/km, 6:30/ml, HR 174/181. Funny that I achieved a higher HR on the bike!

Fri 08 July AM
    Swim 2700m 25m Pool

The main pool was closed to us plebs as they were set up for a gala. So we swam in the diving pool with the floor raised.
    2nd Set, 4th Session:
    WU 1 x 200 FS
    2 [4x50 off 1:05 straight into 200 FS active recovery] (50s in 48 to 55)
    2 [4x100 off 2:05 + 200FS recovery] (100s in 1:47 to 55)
    4x75 (w/ middle 25m fast)
    CD 1 x 200FS

Enjoyed this session.

Fri 08 July PM
    Run 12.4km

Done in 1:02:39, 5:03/km, 8:08/ml, HR 160/168. This was tougher than it should have been.

Sat Rest

I took yesterday as a rest day as there was a fair bit on.
    Having seen one of her friends cycling; the wee one had been asking me all week to take the stabilisers off her bike and teach her to go on 2 wheels. I put her off til the weekend. So on Sat we got the spanner out and whipped them off. I brought her out to the footpath and she got on OK. Then later in the evening I had her out in the back garden, and she can now go for 10 or 15m once she gets a push start. She was chuffed with herself - as was I.

A few weeks ago I was messing on the bed with the young lad. I was sitting on the bed and I turned my arm around to grab his leg and drag him towards me. In doing so I twisted my back and pulled something in it. i had hoped it would be cleared up by now. It is not sore or bad enough to stop me doing any training but it can get quite uncomfortable at times. But it is sore when lying or turning over in the bed. I'm wondering should I go to a chiroprctor or a physio with it? If a physio, then I could get a 'shinsplint' type problem that I have been having looked at too; I've had it for the last week or 2, in the inner part of my left shin! Feckin' annoying!

Sun 10 July PM
    Bike 42.6km

Would have liked to go longer but tight for time. 1:19, 32.1kph av, 50.6mx, 101 av Cad, HR 146/171.

Week Totals
    Swim 8200m (2600, 2900, 2700) 3 hrs
    Bike 120.3km (38.8, 38.9, 42.6) 3:45
    Run 31.2km (10.4, 8.4, 12.4) 2:30 9hrs 15min Tot

Mon 11 July AM
    Swim 2100m LC

2nd Set 5 Session:

WU 200,
    8x50 Kick,
    8x50 Catch up off 1:15,
    8x100 off 2:05 (1:50 - 55),
    CD 200, 100.

Normally I can do about 2500m in the hour, but once any amount of kicks are added to the set the metres swam declines.
    I wasn't watching the clock for the catch up drills and was just taking about 15 sec RT.

Mon PM
    Brick
    OW Swim 1500m / Bike 31.6km

Having checked out easy tide I decided I'ld get an OW swim in and then hit the bike. It meant cutting the bike short, but I flogged myself on the bike.

I decided to head to Portmarnock for a change. When I got there I met Keith Duffy getting out of the water with some chick and another big wide shouldered guy who I assume was his personal trainer. I asked they where they had swam and they showed me a 1500m route (from the steps to the tower). I asked KEith had he any tris planned since Skerries.
    He said "yea, I'm doing the IM".
    - Cool, which one?
    "What, there is only one IM"
    - What, there's more than one IM
    "There's only 1 in Ireland this year - Galway"
    - Oh the half IM
    "Yea the IM 70.3"
    :rolleyes: Well, good luck with that.

It was a nice swim with just a wee bit of swell, which was not breaking waves. The current seemed against me in both directions. I stopped now and again to make sure I was right. So 1500m in about 30ish minutes.
    Transition took an age, getting kitted out the wheel on the bike, everything locked up.
    Then went round by Malahide, Clontarf, and back via Sutton. Pushed it, but the quads were in bits.
    31.6km, 33.3kph av, 47.4mx, 104 av Cad, HR ? (it was reading low for a good while - the strap wasn't sitting right, I think)

Macanri wrote: »
    Mon PM
    Brick
    OW Swim 1500m / Bike 31.6km

Having checked out easy tide I decided I'ld get an OW swim in and then hit the bike. It meant cutting the bike short, but I flogged myself on the bike.

I decided to head to Portmarnock for a change. When I got there I met Keith Duffy getting out of the water with some chick and another big wide shouldered guy who I assume was his personal trainer. I asked they where they had swam and they showed me a 1500m route (from the steps to the tower). I asked KEith had he any tris planned since Skerries.
    He said "yea, I'm doing the IM".
    - Cool, which one?
    "What, there is only one IM"
    - What, there's more than one IM
    "There's only 1 in Ireland this year - Galway"
    - Oh the half IM
    "Yea the IM 70.3"
    :rolleyes: Well, good luck with that.

It was a nice swim with just a wee bit of swell, which was not breaking waves. The current seemed against me in both directions. I stopped now and again to make sure I was right. So 1500m in about 30ish minutes.
    Transition took an age, getting kitted out the wheel on the bike, everything locked up.
    Then went round by Malahide, Clontarf, and back via Sutton. Pushed it, but the quads were in bits.
    31.6km, 33.3kph av, 47.4mx, 104 av Cad, HR ? (it was reading low for a good while - the strap wasn't sitting right, I think)

God I'm sick of hearing that Duffy bang on about the IM he is doing. I read somewhere too that he said that he would do the full IM but you're not allowed unless you've a few HIM done first :rolleyes:

I hope to accompany you on some of these OW swims over the next few weeks. Good training Mac keep it up.

I hope to accompany you on some of these OW swims over the next few weeks. Good training Mac keep it up.

Sound job, I will have to look at the tide charts for next week and pencil one evening one in. It would be 19:45 or so before I'ld usually get there.

Tues 12 July PM
    Run Race Series 2ml
    11.9km Total

I arrived just in time to get the 1 mile WU done. I could feel the shin splint niggle at the start of the warm up but it was more or less gone by the end of the WU. Said a quick hello to Alan and we were called to the line. I wasn't really feeling as I was going to do great and was thinking an 11:30 would see me happy. I went out quick with the first 6 or 7 and I was feeling ok. I came through the mile in 5:31. A bit quick but I was thinking if I could do another one of them I'ld be very close to 11:00. Not on your nelly! Hard to hold on after going out that fast. I never looked behind but I knew Alan and JF wouldn't be too far behind. I was only after starting into the 2nd mile and was already thinking of the finish line - wishing the race over - not a great sign. BL was about 10m ahead of me from the first half mile and I had been hanging on to him as a pacemaker. He pushed on on the final straight and I upped it another bit but wasn't pushing to catch him. Crossed the line in 11:24.

Weekly Comparison:
    Date Time Splits Pos HR avPace
    21 Jun 11:35 5:38, 5:57 11th 185/194, 5:47.5/ml,
    28 Jun 11:49 6:01, 5:48 13th 182/192, 5:55/ml, 3:40/km.
    05 July 11:19 5:41, 5:38 5th 186/196, 5:39.5/ml, 3:31/km
    12 July 11:24 5:31, 5:53 9th 187/192, 5:42/ml, 3:33/km

This tells me I need to be hitting 5:38 to 5:40 for the first mile, then try and hold for a 5:35 or so. The av HR was higher I'ld say due to it been a bit warmer and working constantly, whereas the max HR is not as high because there was no final push this week. Roll on next Tues evening!

Wed 13 July PM
    Bike 39km Howth Head

Decided to get some hill training in seen as there will be a couple of hills to be tackled in Lough Neagh. Wasn't looking forward to the first one and it near broke me - up from the church side, then flying down with the calves crampming - trying not to think what might be the outcome if I happened to come off the bike - God forbid. Then turnaround and head up via the graveyard (didn't bother timing it - too wrecked), Then down again, head to Sutton cross and turnaround to tackle the hill from the church side again - alot easier to manage this time!
    O/A 39km in 1:20, 29.1kph av, 64.95mx :eek:, 94 av Cad, HR 161/186.

Thurs 14 july AM
    Group Swim LC 2700m

The legs weren't too bad for this. I got there early and did 300 on my own.
    WU 8 x 50 (as 50 easy, 50 med, 50 hard, 50 easy, x2)
    800 'round the bouy' - Done in a group, the first person to the top acting as a bouy - a bit of a disaster due to different paced swimmers.
    8 x 100 (as 100 easy to fast, 100 fast to easy, repeat) w/ fins
    4 x 50 w/ fins Sprints.
    CD 100 doggy, 50 br st, 50 bk st.

Thurs LTime
    Easy/Rec Run 9km

A lovely topless run by the canal. easy on the way out, recovery pace on the way back.
    4.5km in 21:15, 4:43/km, 7:36/ml, HR~159
    4.5km in 22:30, 5:00/km, 8:03/ml, HR~152
    HR O/A 154/165.

Fri 15 July AM
    Swim 2800m LC

2nd Set, 5th Session
    WU 1 x 200
    4 x [50 kick, 100 pull]
    5 x [200 @ 80%, + 100 easy] 10 sec RT
    5 x 100 easy

200s were 4:00 (too slow), 3:45, 50, 50, 46.

• Advertisement

Fri 15 July PM
    Bike 75.9km

With today (Sat) being a rest day I wanted to get a bike in this week with a bit of distance. The wind was a strong enough SWesterly which caught me out a bit. It was another long cycle where I kind of ran out of steam half way through only to get a second wind about 10 minutes later and pushed on well enough after that towards home.

75.9km in ~2:25, 31.5kph av, 62.2kph mx (coming down from near Naul towards the coast (a great view over N Co. Dublin here), 97 av Cad, HR 156/182.

LSR planned for tomorrow evening.

Sun 17 July PM
    LSR 17.1km

Headed out about 3 hrs after the big Sun dinner in the mother in laws, and it was still in the stomach, so I had no choice but to take it handy enough. I caught up with an italian student and chatted for a few k before he turned for home. The HR up to then was ~146, so I picked it up just slightly for the rest of the run.

17.1km in 1:25:03, 4:58/km, 8:00/ml, HR 152/165.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 9100m (2100, 1500 OW, 2700, 2800) 3.5hrs
    Bike 146.5km (31.6, 39, 75.9) 4hrs45m
    Run 38km (11.9, 9, 17.1) ~3hrs Total ~11hrs15mins

Mon 18 July Am
    Swim 2400m

I went to the physio on Friday with my back and she worked on it but it has not improved. I have to go back to her on Friday. When I woke in the morning I was debating whether to go to the pool, and using it as an excuse.

2nd Set, 6th Session:
    WU 1 x 200
    8 x 50 off 1:05 (~53 - 56)
    4 x 400 off 8:05 (7:45 - 48)
    CD 1 x 200

After the first 400 I was finding them tough and was thinking about throwing in the towel, using the crowded lane as an excuse. I persevered and after the 2nd 400 there was only 2 left. Then the last 400 and it was 100 done, 200, done 300 done, 400 - thank f*ck!
    I was glad I got it done though.

Mon PM
    Bike 60.5km

Had planned to do about 40 or so but route selection was a bit haywire and I ended up with 60,5km. I got caught in the rain at the end, and there was a fair headwind which was compensated by tailwinds on other sections.
    32kph av, 51.2mx, 99 av Cad, HR 152/166

Tues 19 July PM
    Run Race Series 2ml
    Tot 11.9km

I wasn't feeling to bad or too good heading down to this but the plan was to do 5:35 to 5:40 for the first and hold 5:35 for the second. There was a good crowd out for it as it was connected with a Cystic Fibrosis fundraiser. The weather was good with dry conditions, cloud cover and a light breeze. I was concious of the upper back and the left foot before the race but that disappeared as I toed the line. Off we went and I was running with foleyalan concious not to go too fast. i asked him what pace we were running at -5:30. How acurate is that? -Fairly bang on. So I kept to the pace more or less. Went through mile 1 in 5:38, feeling fairly good and not feeling like I had toiled too much. The plan now was to hold the pace for the first straight of the 2nd lap (which thinking about it earlier in the week - this is where I seem to normally let the pace drop a bit after a fast first lap). I held the pace and turning onto the 2nd straight of the triangular course I kept it steady and started to pick it up a bit when halfway through this straight. Then on the final straight I increased the effort a bit more and was making ground on Ben ahead, but then a lad who I had passed on the last straight came by me and beat me to the line. I should have made more of an effort on the sprint finish. I was delighted to see the clock hitting 11:10 as I approached and then passed the line in 11:12 - a PB.
    I knew it was a while since I had run the previous PB of 11:14 and looking back on the log it was on the 20th July last year - a full 364 days ago! I didn't feel as exhausted as normal and think I could have bagged another second or 2 if I ran differently in sections, but overall I feel the way for me to run these is to go slightly more conservative on the first lap and try hold on and nail the finish.

The winner (a Raheny Shamrock's man) ran a course record in 9:13 - that is something else.

Weekly Comparison:
    Date Time Splits Pos HR avPace
    21 Jun 11:35 5:38, 5:57 11th 185/194, 5:47.5/ml,
    28 Jun 11:49 6:01, 5:48 13th 182/192, 5:55/ml, 3:40/km.
    05 July 11:19 5:41, 5:38 5th 186/196, 5:39.5/ml, 3:31/km
    12 July 11:24 5:31, 5:53 9th 187/192, 5:42/ml, 3:33/km
    19 July 11:12 PB 5:38, 5:34 13th 176/192, 5:36/ml, 3:29/km

Well happy with the PB. Next week I will be trying to run it in 12:20 (to get a feel for the target pace off the bike the following Sat 30th July in Lough Neagh). Then the week after the plan will be to do 5:35 for the first mile, then try and hold for a 5:35 or under.

Ah thats a great PB MAc, fair play on the pacing - spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Another PB Mac. Jaysus, your failrly knocking them out this year. Fair play.:cool:

Wed 20 July PM
    Bike 38.8km

Had planned on doing the hill repeats tonight, but convinced myself I'ld be better leaving them til Fri. There was a bit of drizzle and a headwind. 1:13:58, 31.5kph av, 49.6mx, 98 av Cad, HR 159/179.

Thurs 21 July AM
    Group Swim 1450m

I woke up before 6am, and knew I wasn't feeling right - I had caught the stomach bug which Mrs MAc had on Mon. I contemplated giving the session a miss but decided to see how it went in the end.
    Due to the swim competitions taking place we were turfed into the play pool - the lazy river is 120m around it. There was a very small 'flow' in it which we were swimming against. It's actually a pain in the ass trying to swim around in a circle.
    I missed the WU.
    4x120m kick descending
    2x[4x120m FS descending]

I ate feck all on Thurs so decided to knock the planned run on the head, although I had improved by then and had a bit to eat. I had planned on Wed to give the St. JAmes hospital 6km a go. Next year!

Fri 22 July PM
    Bike Hills 39.5km

All back to normal on Friday but decided not to do the AM swim as the NAC was going to be booked up, and I was lacking in energy having not eaten a whole lot on Thurs.

In the evening I headed for Howth and did the exact same session as the previous week, 1x Church, 1xGraveyard, 1xChurch.
    O/A 1:17:59, 30.4kph av, 63.4mx, 97 av Cad, HR 161/186.

Sat 23 July PM
    OW Swim 1550m

Since I didn't get a whole lot of swimming done this week I headed for Portmarnock to do an OW swim. I was thinking about heading in without the wetsuit seen as it was such a nice evening. I checked the water temp online 14deg C.
    I bit the bullet when I saw some other lad out there in his skin. So I headed in in my swim togs and a rash vest that I have for surfing. It was a major shock when I got in first - bloody cold. After catching my breath I set off. It wasn't too bad after I got going and there were nice warm spots a couple of times which was a pleasant surprise. I haeded up past the tower and then came back. All in all about 35mins or so. It was choppy enough so good practice for next Sat, if there is a breeze blowing on Lough Neagh. When I got out I was absolutely freezing. I near broke my back theeth from clamping my mouth with the cold and chattering away. After getting back home and having something to eat, my mouth was still blue. I won't be doing that again in a hurry!

Sun 24 July AM
    LSR 17.1km

Same route as last Sun. I think I need to vary my bike and run routes - they are 90% of the time on the same routes.

1:21:26, 4:46/km, 7:40/ml, HR 160/170, so high end of Z2.

Weekly Totals
    Swim 5400m (2400, 1450, OW1550) 2:30
    Bike 138.8km (60.5, 38.8, 39.5) 4:30
    Run 28km (11.9, 17.1) 2:20

I have to think about how I will train in my taper week next week before the Tri in Lough Neagh on Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I was contemplating togs tonight for the OW swim myself but decided against it as i am a wuss. The cycling seems to be going very well for you considering the lack of bike work earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Beeped ya just before I turned onto the Howth Rd on your LSR. No response, that's an excellent sign your head was 100% in the run (or else it was the iPod)!

• Advertisement

I was contemplating togs tonight for the OW swim myself but decided against it as i am a wuss. The cycling seems to be going very well for you considering the lack of bike work earlier in the year.

You were right to wear the wet suit!
    Yea, the bikes not going too bad. It could be alot better, but I am where I am now. I won't take such a big break from it at the end of the season this year.
    christeb wrote: »
    Beeped ya just before I turned onto the Howth Rd on your LSR. No response, that's an excellent sign your head was 100% in the run (or else it was the iPod)!

I 'thought' I heard someone beeping - I was still trying to get 'into' the run down round the Howth Rd. I was listening to Marathon Talk episode 4. Could also have been a sign that my head was 100% in the clouds;).
    See you Tues.

Advertisement