Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Mon 25 July PM
    OW Swim 2400m / Bike 30km Brick

Saw on the club website that the Mon evening swimmers were going to be heading to malahide for their session instead of hitting the pool. As I had planned to do an OW swim anyway I tagged along. I met up with a few heads I hadn't met before, courdeloin being one of these - nice to meet you.
    Bjorn set up 2 'bouys' made of life rings, weighted down, 200m apart. I swam around a bit and then over and back from one bouy to the other before we started.
    The session was:
    400 easy WU
    3 x 400 descending easy, med, hard in groups trying to draft.
    2 x 200 sprints

Really enjoyed the session. And then into the bike gear and headed around what turned out to be a 30km loop. 55:32, 32.4kph av, 45.8mx, 102av Cad, no HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It was a good swim session yesterday. Didn't feel like I'd swam that far but felt it a little in the shoulders this morning!

Fair play for doing the cycle afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice OW swim session. Pity none of the clubs in the West do any structured OW swims like that. :(

How you fixed for this weekend?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice OW swim session. Pity none of the clubs in the West do any structured OW swims like that. :(

How you fixed for this weekend?

It was a very simple set up really. He had a conoe and went out on that to set up the bouys and he sat on that as he told us what to do!

I think I'm pretty good for the weekend, thanks P. I still have that niggle in my back which is not stopping me from training, but can be annoying. Apart from that I just need to take it handier than last night and try and get more sleep!

When's your next outing?

I think the Tri Clubs in Galway either don't have the inclination or the swim coaches to organise this type of session.

Best of luck at the weekend.

Next up for me is Galway. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

I like the sound of that OW swim Mac. Does it cost anything extra or is it for those who have already paid Monday night fees?

Also - did you get a race brief yet for Saturday? Looks like we will have perfect weather-if a little hot.

Hey El D,
    Race briefing here: http://www.loughneaghtri.com/RaceEntry/RaceBriefing2011.pdf
    See you on the day.

Tues 26 July PM
    Run Race Series 2ml
    Tot 8.7km

The plan was to just go at 6:10 pace for each lap, which is the hoped for pace of the bike for this weekend. Working it out here again, seems I fecked that calc up. Sub 40min 10km is 6:26/ml. Ok so, at least it will feel a bit easier! hopefully!
    Ran the first mile in 6:10 and crossed the line in 12:28.

Weekly Comparison:
    Date Time Splits Pos HR avPace
    21 Jun 11:35 5:38, 5:57 11th 185/194, 5:47.5/ml,
    28 Jun 11:49 6:01, 5:48 13th 182/192, 5:55/ml, 3:40/km.
    05 July 11:19 5:41, 5:38 5th 186/196, 5:39.5/ml, 3:31/km
    12 July 11:24 5:31, 5:53 9th 187/192, 5:42/ml, 3:33/km
    19 July 11:12 PB 5:38, 5:34 13th 176/192, 5:36/ml, 3:29/km
    26 July 12:28 6:10, 6:18 29th 174/182, 6:14/ml, 3:52/km

Wed 27 July
    Bike 11.1km

Just out with a few elastic bands to practice the leap of faith and getting the feet into the tri shoes a bit easier/quicker. The first 2 were a bit of a disaster. On the second attempt the insole bunched in both shoes, so I took them out and put them in my pocket. Then the 3rd attempt went better. The 4th attempt was better again.

The best thing I learned was the cause for the foot pain that I get (ocassionally now). When I took out the insoles I discovered that the shoes have an 'arch support' on both the outside and inside of the foot. As opposed to my runners which have an arch support on the inside mid sole but are flat on the outside midsole. So the raised arch on the outside midsole of the tri shoes is the cause of the pain on the outside of both my feet. Eureka! I will be shopping for a more suitable tri shoe in the very near future!

Stats: 11.1km, 21.9kph av, 39.4mx, av CAD 90.

Thurs 28 July AM
    Group Swim 2500m

I was at the pool early and did 400m on my own. Then
    WU 100FS, 100 BkSt, 6 x 50 w/ fins (50Larm, 50Rarm)
    8x50 (as 25FS, 25 FS but with the legs crossed) sink city! The legs could not stay horiz
    800 FS desc
    8x50 FS fast legs - a killer on the legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Just catching up on this log, some great stuff Macanri. That Howth cycle session is impressive. I've an eye on next year already and some great info in here.

Best of luck in the tri on sat.

Delighted you worked out what was wrong on the bike with your foot-on wards and upwards now! Looking forward to tomorrow dude, see you there!

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Just catching up on this log, some great stuff Macanri. That Howth cycle session is impressive. I've an eye on next year already and some great info in here.

Best of luck in the tri on sat.

Cheers nerraw1111. yea the Howth hills are a good session. I did them last year. I should probably have done / do more, but its better that none.
    Delighted you worked out what was wrong on the bike with your foot-on wards and upwards now! Looking forward to tomorrow dude, see you there!

Delighted with the foot diagnostics myself - such a simple thing, and it took me til now to figure out/discover.

Yea see you tomorrow - there'll be a good club turn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck with Lough Neagh, macanri. Hope you manage to jump onto the bike without mishap (!), and that you get to nail that sub 40 run...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hope Lough Neagh is going/went well Mac! Hopefully ill get back up there next year as i really enjoyed last years

ronanmac wrote: »
    Best of luck with Lough Neagh, macanri. Hope you manage to jump onto the bike without mishap (!), and that you get to nail that sub 40 run...

Cheers ronan. A great day had - the bike mount went well enough. - but the 40 min run was a non-runner! See below.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Hope Lough Neagh is going/went well Mac! Hopefully ill get back up there next year as i really enjoyed last years
    Cheers Bambaata, c'mon man - you wrote that post at 14:50, don't tell me you expected me to be still on the course at that stage!:p
    Yea, it was another great race from Hi-Elbow. See you there next year so, God willing.

Another great race from the people of Hi-Elbow Tri Club. Great marshals and organisation. The race was part of the National Series so there was a strong field. Hats off to them and defo one for the calendar if anyone is mulling over it. I will be back again next year. Peter Jack was on the mic and was trying his best to be funny. He did say though, that we are priviliged to be able to be here competing in a race like this and that there are plenty who can't do so - true enough. He also said not to drink any of the water in the lake as it was the property of Cookstown Town Council! hardee har.

I had the normal race morning breakfast of porridge with honey, strawberries and grapes, boiled egg and toast, and coffee. Headed off and met Bjorn and El D on the road in their respective cars just before Armagh, so I pulled in between them and we went up in convoy. I had passed El D to get in between them and I knew he hadn’t a clue who I was so I stuck the club jersey out the window - he copped on quick and flashed the lights.

So we rolled in together and made our way for registration and transition. My aim for the day was to beat last years time. - 2:21:23, 28:02, 1:26, 1:09:54, 00:59, 41:03. Nutrition plan was Nuun & Water on the way in the car. A banana 45 mins or so out from the start. I also bought a packet of “Cramp Block” during the week and tried one on the way up in the car. They’re a little narrow tablet of powder (phosphate, magnesium etc etc). Then had one about 30mins before the off. I had placed 2 on the bike with 2 iso gels. Also on the bike was Nuun and water.

At the time of writing the results are still not online, but on the way out I got a peek at the computer and saw my result briefly. I will revise the stats later.

Swim: 26:xx
    The lake was like glass which was great. We headed out to the water and some had ventured out past the start line. They were called back but only came back to within about 10m from the start line. Before they all got back the hooter went. So, I’ld say nearly most, if not all, of the field got caught unawares on a surprise start. I was swimming well enough but I was fairly in the thick of it. There was people both sides of me. I didn’t get any digs but it was close contact and once or twice I had someone swim diagonally across my back. Everyone round me seemed to be swimming the same pace but the crowd settled down a bit for a while. Then on approaching the first buoy I was thinking “this is going to be some melee”. It wasn’t too bad and we were round and heading down the long straight some ~800m long. So the rest of the swim wasn’t too bad apart from a bit of rough and tumble rounding the few buoys (getting a slight dig in the head). I didn’t find feet really, but am happy with the swim. I got what is now a common enough pain in my head during the swim (don’t know if its from exertion or what? - only get it during these races) but it abated during the bike leg.

T1: Time?
    This went well enough - no dramas. I was surprised to see so many bikes already gone from transition.

Bike: 1:07:xx (39.1km?)
    Pass the mount line and half-leaped on. I waited til I got out onto the road and a bit of momentum before struggling with the shoes. A minor enough struggle for once, but a struggle all the same. The bike is a 4 lap course approx triangular in shape. I eased into the bike and wasn’t going great shakes for the first lap. Then at the start of the 2nd lap I saw a gel wrapper on the ground which reminded me to take my own one. (I had planned to take it at the start of lap 1). The 2nd lap went better and I had the short sharp hill sussed then - drop into small cog and no 5 on the back on approach. Gear down to 2 and round the corner - get off the saddle and pump while gearing up to 3 and then 4. Gear into 5 as we crest the hill - then sit down and hop it into the big cog and push down the fast hill gearing up to 6, 7 and 8. Didn’t hit 9. The last lap I left 6 or 7 carbon framed tri bikes for dust on this section, but most caught me later. I took 1 of the 'cramp block' tabs during lap 3. I thought with the slight congestion on the bike course (due to the laps) that it was hard to stay fully out of the draft zone also due to congestion going around corners and at the turnaround - but I did the best I could. There were a few pulled for draughting. I took the 2nd gel slightly late in a big gulp as I headed for transition and washed it down with a bit of water. I still had a drop of water mix in the bottle before getting off the bike, as I was slightly paranoid I’ld run out like I did in Athlone.
    I copped Bjorn twice on the bike laps - but didn't see El D at all. I also eyed Brian (old school mate) ahead on the bike.

T2: time?
    It should be quick enough. It felt fairly seamless, except for heading for the barriers toward the front when the run out was at the back - just lost a few seconds here!

Run: 45:xx
    Not a happy camper with how the run went for me. Straight off before I even left transition I could feel my stomach at me - it was a bad cramp. (ironic, given I had just invested in Cramp Block - although that is for your muscles rather than your stomach). The pain was stopping me gaining any pace. I got out on to the 4 lap course and soon saw El D coming the other way completing which must have been his 1st lap - "he’s going well". I knew he’ld have a strong swim and bike. I plodded along and soon El D passed me, and offered some encouragement. He was going well.
    I continued like this til the 1st turnaround and got some water. I decided to take it to see if it helped dilute the gel and get rid of this cramp. It helped a bit and I plodded on to start lap 2. I got some more water at the turnaround again and I was getting better now. By the start of lap 3 it was near gone and I straightened up and lenghtned the stride. After a while I started to run proper and I was going well. The last part of the 3rd lap and the full 4th lap were a lot better and I was a lot happier with the pace. I had seen 'Brian' and knew I was gaining on him, but didn't get too close to him in the end. I also gave Bjorn a few shouts when I saw him. Had I not had an issue and ran the same time as last year (41mins) then I could have finished with a 2:17:xx. But that was not to be.

Finish time: 2:21:58,

I’m still unsure what caused the stomach issues but over the last 2 days I have been getting heart burn, which I feel may have been a contributing factor.

El D had a cracker of a race but I’ll let him fill in the details on his race. Bjorn went well and came in 5th - but I suspect he will not be too happy with that and believe from rumour that his run was tough for him. Fair play to him I say!

In other news on Friday I put a €50 deposit down on a new steed. A Felt B14 (Dura Ace group set) carbon frame TT bike. I have entered the dark side! - Anybody got a set of deep carbon wheels going cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was laughing, did I see you show some interest in a Ceepo bike on adverts, I was half tempted to stick in a bid as I knew that guy had gone to ground and I wouldnt be held to it

I love triathlon shopping - last I remember you were in the market for a good set of wheels - now you are still in the market for a good set of wheels but with a TT bike in tow as well :D

Well done on the race today, great bike but a poor run by your standards, although I would bite your hand off for a 45 minute run

Ha cheers man, yea I had posted a few questions on a couple of TT bikes in adverts - I saw a comment from griffin100 too.
    I love tri shopping too - but I hate handing over the dough!
    The race - I have plenty of would have, could have, should have. But feck it. It just didn't go to plan.

Enjoy the holidays. You had a great day out in Swinford. That was some swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Macanri wrote: »

I’m still unsure what caused the stomach issues

You were told not to drink the water hardee har :D
    Well done mac, I don't know where you get the energy from.

Just saw Fran, looking great with 6 miles left. Nice cool breeze blowing now. He is in 'the pain cave' he says though. Com on JB!

Phone dying now so last report :(

Ha! My GF's bro I meant!!!

Just saw Fran, looking great with 6 miles left. Nice cool breeze blowing now. He is in 'the pain cave' he says though. Com on JB!

Phone dying now so last report :(

Ha! My GF's bro I meant!!!

• Advertisement

Sun 31 July PM
    Rec Run 4.1km

Nice and handy. 23:31, 5:44/km, 9:14/ml, HR 138/148.

Mon 01 Aug AM
    LSR 19.4km

The legs weren't liking this at the start, but the head soon told them they were doing it whether they liked it or not - it was good after that. Tired now though. I don't know how I will race tomorrow now though - we'll see.

19.5km in 1:32:09, 4:44/km, 7:36/ml, HR 158/170.

Weekly Totals I'm including todays LSR in last weeks milage as thats where it should have been! Total 8hrs 30mins

Swim 6400m (2400 OW, 2500, 1500OW Race) 2:30
    Bike 81.1km (30, 11.1, 39.1 Race + CD) 2:30
    Run 43.3km (8.7, 10 Race + WU, 4.1, 19.5) 3:30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sorry to hear of the run issues. You would have certainly beat last years time if didn't arise.
    Nice bike:)

Bad luck on the run Mac. Good swim and bike though. Do you think you over cooked the bike or was it purely GI issues?

Well wear on the new TT bike! :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Bad luck on the run Mac. Good swim and bike though. Do you think you over cooked the bike or was it purely GI issues?

Well wear on the new TT bike! :cool:

Cheers P.
    I thought about the same question during that first lap on the run. And, I can safely say that it was not as a result off pushing too hard on the bike. It was a severe enough pain in the stomach - when I tried to run faster the pain got worse - I couldn't hack the pain, so I reduced the pace. I had hoped before the race that I would be embracing the pain in the legs, but in the end I was tasked with embracing the pain in the stomach and I couldn't hack it.
    However, I had a reasonable race and enjoyed the day.

Looking forward to picking up the new bike this week.

I am planning on signing up for Carlingford on Aug 13th now, to give it a day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Looking forward to picking up the new bike this week.

Just catching up now man - ha ha brilliant stuff on the bike. Looks a beaut, will have to meet you for a spin some time to have an oogle at it for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice report macanri, shame about the stomach issues but solid result all the same. Enjoy the new toy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hey Mac. Sorry to hear about the stomach issues. I had that myself in two early races this year. I put it down to a weak core for me as i had been neglecting those exercises. The gel so close to T2 with water would probably not have helped either, i generally abstain from anything about 10 - 20mins before end of bike (depending on race distance).

Bambaata wrote: »
    Hey Mac. Sorry to hear about the stomach issues. I had that myself in two early races this year. I put it down to a weak core for me as i had been neglecting those exercises. The gel so close to T2 with water would probably not have helped either, i generally abstain from anything about 10 - 20mins before end of bike (depending on race distance).

Cheers man. Yea, well I have defo neglected any core exercises - I don't do any. I suppose I should do at least 1 session per week. I'm still waiting for them to introduce this 8 day week!
    The gel on the way in to T2 was surely a factor. In Athlone I had them in the same time, but I took the last gel a good 5 mins before getting off the bike - a silly mistake - quite simply, I forgot to take it. Must concentrate more in future:)

Tues 02 Aug PM
    Run Race Series 2ml
    Tot 9.2km

I wasn't feeling too fast, but I wasn't feeling too bad either, so the plan was to give it a lash and see what happened. Christeb introduced me to BeepBeep67 at the start. I asked what his target time was - 11:15. Me too. After the start BeepBeep was gone and I was running with the usual three around me. Alan passed shortly after and stayed ahead as we passed the 1 mile in 5:37, good. I pushed on a bit at the start of the second lap and started to reel Alan in. He was running very strong and I could only just stay on his shoulder. It was well into the second straight before I passed him, encouraging his strong running with "Good man, hold on" and then "There's feck all to go" - this helped me too, and I hoped it helped Alan hold on. I held on and tied push the pace again on the final straight, and crossed the line in 11:11 - A 1 second PB :)
    Alan finished shortly after in a great 7 sec PB. BeepBeep ran a great race - I never saw him again after the start - He ran 11:00 - great running.

Weekly Comparison:
    Date Time Splits Pos HR avPace
    21 Jun 11:35 5:38, 5:57 11th 185/194, 5:47.5/ml,
    28 Jun 11:49 6:01, 5:48 13th 182/192, 5:55/ml, 3:40/km.
    05 July 11:19 5:41, 5:38 5th 186/196, 5:39.5/ml, 3:31/km
    12 July 11:24 5:31, 5:53 9th 187/192, 5:42/ml, 3:33/km
    19 July 11:12 PB 5:38, 5:34 13th 176/192, 5:36/ml, 3:29/km
    26 July 12:28 6:10, 6:18 29th 174/182, 6:14/ml, 3:52/km
    02 Aug 11:11 PB 5:37, 5:34 12th 150??/198, 5:35.5/ml, 3:28.5/km

I reckon I might try and get close to 5:30 next week for mile 1 and hold on for dear life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

It was well into the second straight before I passed him, encouraging his strong running with "Good man, hold on" and then "There's feck all to go" - this helped me too, and I hoped it helped Alan hold on. I held on and tied push the pace again on the final straight, and crossed the line in 11:11 - A 1 second PB :)
    Alan finished shortly after in a great 7 sec PB. BeepBeep ran a great race - I never saw him again after the start - He ran 11:00 - great running.QUOTE]

Thanks for that by the way, i did need a kick in the arse!

Advertisement