Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

the following attachment is of the NAC Pool Times and Prices and times that it is in a 25m or 50m format. I hope it opens ok.

NAC TimeT and Prices.pdf

catweazle wrote: »
    Thats pretty quick, I must try one of those mile runs this year and see what I can get around in. Pity we lost sub5 or no beers log, he woukld have been stroking his chin reading that

Cheers guys, Thanks for the map mloc - exactly what I was after!
    See you at the next one christeb.

Catweazle, have you gone to the NAC yet? See post above for times - a little later than promised, but better late than never eh. I was there again this morning. I find it great in that I am not taking the little second rest every 25m.

Thurs 11 Mar 06:20
    Swim 2000m (NAC 50m pool)

100m WU, then 3 sets of 6 x 100m with 30 sec recovery, 100m SD. Did the 100 concentrating on stroke mostly and keeping the kick going. Eyeing the clock for a few; in and around 2:15/100m. Swam 50m of the swim down at 53 sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nah havent been up in dublin for work in a few weeks, might be up there this weekend though so if i have time I might but i hope to deffo get in before Joey Hannon and get used to the 50m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Macanri wrote: »

Catweazle, have you gone to the NAC yet? See post above for times - a little later than promised, but better late than never eh. I was there again this morning. I find it great in that I am not taking the little second rest every 25m.
    I'm a member up there but have only swam in the 50m format once. Its too early in the morning for me. Is it busy in the morning? I'll have to drag myself out of bed earlier and use it more.

• Advertisement

It's not that busy really. usually only 2 per lane. I get there around 6:20, and stay for about an hour. There was some other triathlete there this morning - I overheard him say that his legs weren't going well as he had been on the bike the night before. That's the way it goes.

Fri 12 Mar 20:00
    Swim 1050m (25m pool)

Arrived a little late so only got about 30 odd mins in the water. It was fairly crowded but there was one lane roped. There was a v. tall bloke in the lane and I gave him a nod to see if I could use it too. Grand. Started to do 100m WU and 2 ladies arrived into the same lane. It was a bit crowded then. So I was a bit all ober the shop, swimming round the 3 of them, picking when to go. So I ended up doing 100, 175, 125, 150, 100, 100 = 750m in 22mins, happy enough with that, but the technique was not great on some lengths. Then did 5 x 50m (incl tumble turns) coming in around 1min and taking 30 sec rec. So 1000m in 30 mins. Then 50m SD.

Plan to do a very easy bike/run brick tomorrow. Got the MTB serviced today. I asked the guy in the shop how the bike was set for me. He said the saddle was way too high for me, so he sat me up on it and lowered it about 1.5 inches. He said that when seated I should have a very slight bend at the knee when the ball of my foot is flat on the peddle. So interested to see how that feels tomorrow.

Wondering about the duathlon: Do I do the each bit run, bike, run as fast as I can or pace myself slightly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Fri 12 Mar 20:00
    Swim 1050m (25m pool)

Arrived a little late so only got about 30 odd mins in the water. It was fairly crowded but there was one lane roped. There was a v. tall bloke in the lane and I gave him a nod to see if I could use it too. Grand. Started to do 100m WU and 2 ladies arrived into the same lane. It was a bit crowded then. So I was a bit all ober the shop, swimming round the 3 of them, picking when to go. So I ended up doing 100, 175, 125, 150, 100, 100 = 750m in 22mins, happy enough with that, but the technique was not great on some lengths. Then did 5 x 50m (incl tumble turns) coming in around 1min and taking 30 sec rec. So 1000m in 30 mins. Then 50m SD.

Plan to do a very easy bike/run brick tomorrow. Got the MTB serviced today. I asked the guy in the shop how the bike was set for me. He said the saddle was way too high for me, so he sat me up on it and lowered it about 1.5 inches. He said that when seated I should have a very slight bend at the knee when the ball of my foot is flat on the peddle. So interested to see how that feels tomorrow.

Wondering about the duathlon: Do I do the each bit run, bike, run as fast as I can or pace myself slightly??

Will keep an eye out for you tomorrow in Naas.

Yea do, say hello if you see a geezer with a black dawes MTB (with silver extensions (don't tell TI)).

Went out on the bike in the morning for about 10km nice and easy. I hightened the saddle up about half an inch as I felt it was too low. Still have a bend inthe knee when leg fully extended, so I think it's a bit better. Pumped air into the tyres, there like rocks now. Then went for a 2.5km easy run. Looking forward to tomorrow and my rawly outing into the world of tri. Going to get the gear ready now and get to bed early for once.

Headed down to this today for my first ever multi-event. Motoring on down the road, mind elsewhere, and I missed the turn off for Naas. On down the motorway now and I see a turn for naas South, so not too bad, headed into Naas and found my way to Punchestown Race Course. Arrived at 10:20ish in plenty of time in the end. Said a hello to the bloke in the jeep next to me in the car park and we headed towards registration together with bikes and all to set up in transition. Set the bike against the railing in a good enough spot really and then registered (which went very quick). Back up to the carpark to get kitted out and ready. A few more times up and down to the carpark getting bits and bobs sorted out. Said hello to who I taught was mloc. He turned round. I says “are you from boards?” he comes over “yea I’m Byrne”, “Oh sorry I taught I recognised you from Boards.ie”. And that was the end of that. There was some cool looking bikes about the place, have to get me hands on something resembling them in the future.

Back to transition - All grand - Ready to go. Met Emmet (one of the organisers who I had been taking to on the phone on Friday). Was checking what way it would pan out between then and race kick off. As a warm up he advised to head out towards the latter part of the run section and see where we would be coming in, and then to head over to the first part of the run. Good idea, so that’s what I did, which turned out to be about a 2 mile warm up run. Grand - did a few dynamic stretches (I’ve read that thread) and hoped that I wouldn’t cramp up too much later.

Race briefing - not to many rules been discussed, just the important ones - helmet, rules of the road, drafting. Then out to the start line, stood one from the front line. and off we go. The front two rows went off like greyhounds out of the traps, me included. Slowed the pace down abit after the initial 100m dash, and into a nice steady but decent pace. A steep enough downhill very early on, wondering if my knees would take it - they did. Was going well so far - feeling it a bit as you do, but happy enough with the pace, glanced at the HRM - 180, nothing new for a race, keep going. Crossed the timing mat and looked at the watch - 11:40, Thinking "No way that couldn’t be 3.5km in that time". Anyway, run over to the bike, throw on the helmet, click and go. Across the timing mat and on the saddle. Had a sup of the water (and Nuun) nearly choked meself as it went down the back of my throat. (In preparation nutrition/vitaminwise I had had a Berocca Sat evening and again this morning, and then mixed some Nuun with the water on the bike. Had carbed up with pasta at both meals yesterday and had two slices of toast, two bananas, an orange on the way down in the car.) Had two gels in the straps of the saddle, one of which I took soon as I was on the bike. On with the cycle, felt it was going well - people obviously passing my MTB on their fancy bikes - then I hit the first climb, gentle enough but longish, and was feeling it in the legs. Pushing on in the 2nd and 3rd big cog for all of it. All the marshalls were very encouraging on route. After a while we come to a fairly steep descent - into top gears and flying on downhill - great, kept spinning but was thinking “This is gonna be an f’in b1tch on the way back". Shortly after that I see people coming back on the return leg. Arrived at the turn and slowed right down. Turn and up off the saddle to get a bit of momentum going - over took two or three who quickly over took me a minute later. Banging on, legs well feeling it and then after a good while I’m wondering where the awful hill has gone, wasn’t as bad as I taught, lovely. Then after another while this lady passes me on the bike and gives me some encouraging words. She settles down ahead of me and I give it a right push and over take her, I keep pushing on and it takes her a good few minutes to take me again, but take me she does, and gives more encouraging words. I met her after it all and had a good chat. Good banter. So the bike ride was over very shortly after that. Never looked at the watch for time, but how and ever. Into transition and the crowd are clapping and giving great encouragement as before, brilliant stuff! No cramps for the whole bike thank God, but felt like I was about to cramp up several times.

T2 was a little slower than T1: Parked the bike, whipped off the helmet, took of the gloves, had a drink of the water, and whipped out the second gel. (Really should have had the drink and had the gel ready to go before I got off the bike, but sure I wasn’t thinking). Out on the run and the legs are holding up well. Just taking it nice and steady no pushing just yet, settling into it. I take out two or three fairly straight away and then a girl comes up on my shoulder and passes. I stick with her the rest of the way until about 1km out and we pass another one maybe two during this time. Then I kick on and try and catch the three or four up ahead, after a while I catch 4 and 3. Then On the last bit before the bend and straight for home I catch no. 2. Right says I to meself I hope no1 is ready for a sprint finish. As I run up to him he hears me on his shoulder and he goes, I go quicker and he says "fair play" (or something like that) and I cross the mat - Delighted - gasping for breath but delighted. Bananas and Lucozade sport, lovely. I never stopped my watch for another minute or so. And when I did it read 01:06:xx (it doesn't read seconds after it passes the hour!). I had hoped to do it in under 1:15 and somewhere mid-pack, so am well happy with that. I wonder how accurate the distances where (especially the run). If they were as advertised I reckon I did the bike in and around the 40mins, which would be 30km/hr which is my target for avg speed on the MTB, which I have not yet achieved in any training session. I hope the times come out quick.

I had a great experience, and can’t wait for Portlaoise now. Chatted with a few heads after, including the shop assistant from Wheelworxs, who I had bought me new tri suit from yesterday. And then went back up towards reg area and was talking to the Naas Tri Club lads, sound lads - they even gave me a cup of coffee, the nicest cup of coffee ever.

Long winded report - but hey man, I’m stoked. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Only clicking now, passed you on the bike near the turn about I think and was soon overtaking by you again I think... you were faily powering on the mtb :eek:

So we met in a round of bout way then so!

Results just texted to the mobile: Placed 24th O/all.
    Run 1: 11:44
    T1: 00:43
    Bike: 38:57 - Yippeed Dee
    T2: 00:53
    Run 2: 13:12

Tot O/All: 01:05:29.

I was telling Mrs M about my placing, which I am chuffed with and reminding her i was on a MTB and most of the others have "fancy" bikes. Her reply: "That's good - you won't need a fancy bike then!":P:cool:

So today, Run 1: Pace 3:21/km or 5:23/mile - for 2.175miles. I don't think so. It didn't feel like that pace? Bike: 30.8km/hr. Run 2: pace 3:46/km or 6:04/mile? HR 177avg, 191max.

Sun 14 Mar 20:30
    Run 4.6km Recovery

4.6km recovery run in 21:15, 4:37/km, prob a bit too pacey for a recovery, oh well. No HR forgot to put on HRM.

W/ending 14.03.10
    Swim: 5250m (3 sessions, 1 lesson)
    Cycle: 68.4km/42.5miles (3 sess) }
    Run: 30.5km/19miles (4 sess) } (incl 1 C/R Brick & 1 Duathlon race)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

very impressive first race Macanri - really well done

Mon 15 Mar 06:25
    Swim (NAC 50m) 2200m

Went to bed earlyish, but had a bad enough night sleep for some reason and then the young fella woke at 5:00 ish. Brought him into our bed and he only just got to sleep at 5:50, when my alarm went off, During the night was thinking of giving the swim session a rest for today seen as my legs were tired from yesterday, but headed in anyway.

As usual I had no real swim plan (must do something about that - any suggestions?). I had decided that I was going to do 100m WU and then do as many lengths as I could (biggest single distance so far had been 225m, so was thinking about getting to 250 maybe 300m). After that I would do 50s or 100s.

So I did 100m WU, then started into it did 4 lengths (200m) and swallowed a bit of water at the final few strokes as I got tired and then held onto the wall for too long, and that was it over. Dejected I said I'ld just do the same again(100 followed by 200) as I figured that swimming the 200s would be good for me. So did that, and then did the same again. So I was now feeling better in the water and less tired for some reason, so I decided that I was going to go for it and that there would be no x50 it would be a multiple of 100. Did 200 did 300, then 400 and really settled down and got into a zone like you would on a long run, did 500 and then 600 where I stopped for a little too long at the wall and it was over. I couldn't believe it. But it has done my swim confidence the world of good. After that I did 300, 200 and 200 straight.

Mon 21:30
    Cycle 25.8km

52:45 29.3km/hr. I left my bike in for a service before the duathlon and he changed the back tyre for a slicker one (the old one had a tear in it) and I think that has improved my avg speed a bit. Should have took it handier, but my HR was slightly down on last Mon, 152avg, 175max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

well done on Sunday. Saw you going through the village on your same day recovery run - you mad thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thats a fair bike split considering you were on a MTB!! Good result there, well done. Nice running too :)

Tues 16 Mar 20:00
    Swim Lesson No. 9 of 10, 1700m

It was very quite there tonight, only 2 in my group and 2 in the other and 3 instructors. So one of the instructors got in the water with me for a 1 to 1 lesson. Before the class started while they were waiting for any stragglers I did 100, 100 and 200 WU. Then she got in and I did 50 for her to see, then we did 50 with fists - tough, I was sinking and taking in water on some of my breaths. Then 50 with 4 fist strokes followed by 4 normal strokes and alternate like that. As I am bilateral breathing every 3rd stroke I made a complete hames of those 50. Then 50 normal.

Then we did:
    4 x 50m with 20 sec recovery
    2 x 100 with 30 sec recovery
    1 x 200
    2 x 100 - 30 sec rec
    4 x 50 - 20 sec rec

With about 1 min rest between each to talk to me on my technique:

I need to concentrate on a long stroke and pulling all the way back past my shorts. Relax my arms when they are on the recovery stroke above water. When I first put my hand in the water, keep my hand there for a moment to glide before I start my pull. When pulling through the water the hand should move to agitate the water (like a propellor) during the pull.
    Kicking: Get my legs up on the surface thru kicking. She said my legs were kicking but not effeciently. She suggested kick drills either with a board or just hands out in front. She got me to do the lengths whit pushing off the wall to leave my hands out in front and head down and kick my legs up at the surface and then start stroke when I needed to take the first breath. I pointed out that I tend to stop kicking when I turn for a breath, she said to keep kicking all the time (i think if I do that my legs will cramp up or fall off)
    So basically have to concentrate on long stokes, good pull and effective kicks! - Piece of cake - not!

Then did 100m SD.

Alot to take in but glad of the 1 to 1.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to ye all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You learn something new every day, "to agitate the water on your pull back".

Is that moving your entire arm from side to side slightly or just your wrist??

I am always trying different stuff here, i started doing a kind of s shape as i pull but now, after seeing a video on youtube i am trying to pull straight down starting from below the elbow while keeping the elbow high.

Being honest though I find the old s shape pull more comfortable

Em, I probably should have said hand and arm. I think that you're s-shape is what she meant. I only half understood her. I will ask for more detail next week. Sorry.:o

When I am getting a good pull and catching plenty of water (like when I slightly cup my hand) the force of the water on my hand and arm makes it move over and back anyway without having to conciously think about it.

I'm going to leave the swim coaching 'til next year:D

Wed 17 Mar 16:00
    Run 13.6km

Unlike the lent thread I took the liberty of breaking my lent for our national feast day, as I always do. Hence why I didn't bother signing into that thread. Had a fry up for breakfast. Brought my daughter into the parade and then had a big dinner which finished about 14:30. I was meeting the lads in the home town in the evening. So I headed up to Drogheda and did the run before I met them. Full stomach and running do not go hand in hand!

1km WU and some stretching, then tred to do a tempo run. the tempo wasn't very tempo due to full stomach and a few big hills. No HRM.

3.6km, 17:30, 4:52/km or 7:49/ml
    4.2km, 18:50, 4:29/km or 7:13/ml
    5.8km, 29:00, 5:00/km or 8:03/ml
    Total 14.5km or 9miles

Had 5 - 6 pints of stout. Not feeling too bad today. Had a few pints of water between them.

One of the lads in work has said I can borrow his 1 year old roadbike for the tri in Portlaoise in April, he brought it in today, so will try to take it for a few kms this evening between everything else. I'm like a kid with a new toy.;)

• Advertisement

Fri 19 Mar 06:30
    Swim 1800m (NAC 50m)

Brought the road bike out for a 5k spin, to see what it was like. Nice. It has 2 front cogs (3 on the MTB) and 7 small cogs (same as MTB). So felt a little different that way, also was more wobbly at first.

Went to the pool this morning and found it very tough going, prob due to tiredness. Plan was to do a pyrimad of 100 to 400 to 100. Did 100, then 200 (a little tough), 300 (struggling), 300 (and had to stop), 300 (with a breather at the wall before the last 50), 200 and 100. Finished with 3 x 100. Timed my 100s at 2:15. And my 200 at 4:40, quite slow.

Rest this evening and try to get an early night. Sat cycle and Sun run, but will be switched around if raining on Sat as I would prefer to run in the wind and rain than cycle.

Sat 20 Mar 16:00
    Cycle 66.7km

Great weather for a long bike ride (apart from the slight wind). Brought the borrowed roadbike for a spin from Raheny to Santry on to Sword, Lusk, Skerries, Rush and home the N1 and Malhide Rd. A bit hilly in parts around Lusk, Skerries and Rush but good training I suppose.

02:20:15, 28.5km/hr HR 159avg, 177max (that was on that b1tch of a hill!)

Looking forward to the LSR tomorrow.

Sun 21 Mar 12:00
    Run 17.7km

Another super day weatherwise, very summery. 1k WU, stretching and out for LSR, aim was too keep in and around 5min/km and concentrate on breathing to keep HR down. worked out well, 01:29:30, 5:03/km (8:08/m), HR 155avg, 164max. I don't think I have ever had such a low avg HR.

W/ending 21.03.10
    Swim: 5700m (2 sessions, 1 lesson)
    Cycle: 97.1km/60.3miles (2 sess)
    Run: 33.2km/20.6miles (2 sess)

Tues 23 Mar 20:00
    Swim 1650m - Lesson No. 10

Took yesterday off completely for rest. The two wee ones and Mrs M have had colds/chesty coughs for the last few weeks. I started to feel like I was picking it up on Sat. Since then it seems to be creepying down into my chest. Bummer. I am in a dilema as to what to do now. Do I stop all training until it clears as training outdoors will make it worse (like the last time) or do I take a course of anti-biotics, but then it's not good to be taking anti-biotics for every wee wiff of a cold! Anyway, dosing myself with Lemonsip and vitaminsto try and shift it.

So tonight I decide to go to the swimming lesson anyway. Did 3 x 100m WU before the class. And then they had us swimming as much as we could in 40 mins. In each 10 min set i did - CRINGE - 400m, 250m, 300m and 400m. I know that on a good day I could do more so I not really impressed by that one bit. ..........mmmm. Really didn't wat to post that, but there you go.

Tues 30 Mar 21:00
    Swim 1800m (25m pool)

I have been out for the week due to a chest infection. Decided to take the anti-biotics rather than waiting and wondering when it would clear. So feeling a good bit better but it's not totally gone. Went to the pool last night to see I would get on.

When I was on my first length I felt really boyuant which was a great sensation. 250m WU, 5 x 50m (Rec 15 - 20 sec) 2x[5 x 100m] (25 - 30 sec rec) 50m SD. Felt alright, chest didn't affect me and kept to all rec times. Concentrating on stroke, kick and body rotation.

Hope to do the Raheny 3 mile tonight.

Pity you missed the race on Weds - it was a good 'un. You looked in decent form tonight, a smile indicates that - or else you weren't pushing hard enough!
    Come down to the clubhouse @ 8am Sunday if you want to do an LSR with the lads, otherwise I'll see you on the start line for the last Winter League Race on Weds - a lung searing mile!

Cheers man. mmm The race last Wed went something like this.. excuses excuses. 2nd last day of taking antibiotic , got home and started to gear up, could hear the rain/sleet starting to fall and then Mrs M came home with the two young uns, so I told myself I would be better off not running in the rain and making my chest worse! So gave herself a hand to get the kids to bed.

I was smiling as I was on the home straight, after running 8km off the bike.

I will see about Sunday morning. Thanks for the offer.

Is the last Raheny Race is on 14th April?

Fri 02 Apr 17:00
    Brick Session 25km bike/8.7km run

I am off work from yesterday til Mon 12th, so had planned to head out early this morning before the rain but Mrs M wanted a lie in so that was that. I have drafted a rough plan which will take me up to the Trilaois race on Sat week - having done no running or cycling for 12 days due illness - and I was flying up them damned tables!

Both the cycle and run felt very tough, I knew I was pushing myself a little hard but I kept at it. The bike time was 00:50:06, 29.9km/hr, HR 176avg, 222max :eek: That better have been an errant spike (I use a Polar though?) The run was 37:14, 4:17/km (6:54/m), HR 175avg 181max.

Is the last Raheny Race is on 14th April?

Gd stuff. Last Winter League race is Weds next - 7th

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    Gd stuff. Last Winter League race is Weds next - 7th

Ah frig that! I won't be able to do it so, we are going down to stay in a hotel in Portlaoise for a few days before the tri.

Won't be around for the LSR in the morning either. Thanks again for the offer though. Enjoy the weekend and Happy Easter to ya.:)

Advertisement