Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Macanri wrote: »
    Tues 27 Apr
    Double Bike 23km + 31.9km

Picked up the new bike in Stagg Cycles today and cycled it home the 23km in 45mins, 30.7km/hr, HR 154av, 170mx. The lads in the office had a great laugh at me heading out in my cycling gear. One of them was even taking photos, no doubt they will be emailed to anyone how didn't see me! Work must be dull for some, eh! Happy with the bike, moved the saddle back and up a bit and the tri bars forward a fair touch.

What bike did you pick up macanri? ha ha i had the same thing whereby the girls in my office made a little video of me leaving the office in my ultra cool cycling gear. gave them a few laughs - they are a bit touched me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hi KB3, I picked up a Kellys ARC 1.9. Theres a nice finish on it, Shimano Sona deraillers, brake blocks and Tiagara hubs, Ritchie seat post and handlebars.

I see you may be heading around Howth head with christeb over the weekend. I'm heading down to limerick to pace the HM, but if ye are going on a spin again sometime give me a shout and I'll tag along if I'm free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi KB3, I picked up a Kellys ARC 1.9. Theres a nice finish on it, Shimano Sona deraillers, brake blocks and Tiagara hubs, Ritchie seat post and handlebars.

I see you may be heading around Howth head with christeb over the weekend. I'm heading down to limerick to pace the HM, but if ye are going on a spin again sometime give me a shout and I'll tag along if I'm free.
    Sweet bike - new toys are great!

Yeah will do, i ll prob be around howth once a week to get some hills in. enjoy the HM!

Fri 30 Apr 20:00
    Bike/Run Brick

Same reverse loop around by Malahide and Portmarnock, 33.5km in 01:01:00, 33km/hr HR 158avg, 172max. Then did a 9.7km run (was going to do the 8.4km loop but that would have left me with the exact same km as El D on the tri challenge, and being the gentleman I couldn't put my name above his - El D you'lll probably post a run before midnight and then the extra 1.3k would be for nothing:p) anyway was done in 42:50, 4:25/km or 7:06/ml, HR 162avg, 168max.

Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow, but I am planning on heading down to Limerick early and catch a few waves that are coming towards Inch strand in Kerry and knock the cobwebs of the surfboard, so there'll be a bit of core work tomorrow! Haven't been surfing in months and months. The benefits of living on the east coast! Hopefully will get an hour or twio at the Limerick Expo after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Enjoy Lk, I hope things go well for team Boards down there. Are you doing the Duath in the park on Weds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Had to laugh last night at your post-I almost threw on the runners and headed out at 11 for a quick 3k! Well got 6 in this morn anyway ;-)

Well enjoy Limerick and the surfing-haven't done much myself since moving east, miss that!

christeb wrote: »
    Enjoy Lk, I hope things go well for team Boards down there. Are you doing the Duath in the park on Weds?
    Cheers, It was a great experience doing the pacing. Great to meet a few boardies and put a face and actual real name to the usernames, sound people. The pacees were all very greatful for the pacers and tought that the whole pacing thing was a great idea. I'm sure you'll experience and enjoy the same buzz in Kildare.
    Not doing the duathlon, have another tri in Limavady on the 15th so don't want to be overracing either. The best of luck with it yourself. What make of bike you got?
    Had to laugh last night at your post-I almost threw on the runners and headed out at 11 for a quick 3k! Well got 6 in this morn anyway ;-)

Well enjoy Limerick and the surfing-haven't done much myself since moving east, miss that!

I'm glad you didn't:p. It was great to get the surf in. Was a wee bit rusty catching the first few but the conditions weren't too bad at all off to cross shore wind and the waves were about 3 ft so I took out the minimal and got a fair wave count. Inch is a spectacular beach with the mountains looming up either side and due to the length of the beach there's plenty of room for everyone. One thing's for sure I won't be able to use the 5-4-3 wetsuit for any OW tri's as it would be a 10min transition - the damn thing nearly has to be surgically removed - seriously tight.

Sun 02 May 11:00
    Limerick Half Marathon 2010

What a way to start a new month. Volunteered to pace the 1:50 group so was looking forward to a new experience, and what an experience it was. We met up on Sat evening in race HQ and had a briefing and then headed for something to eat (carbo overload). It was great to meet my fellow boardsies who all share this same passion for running.

After breakfast any HM pacers in the hotel went to the lobby to wait for our lift into town (DaithiBC, Ecoli, Frankee and Cunavalos(my pacing kinsman)). The hotel was about 4 or 5 km from the city so about 30mins after we were supposed to be picked up we started to talk about what time we would need to leave at if we were to run into town. Thankfully another car arrived for us a little later. We got geared up with balloons at the race HQ and headed to the bag drop on the way to the bag drop one of my balloons suffered the same fate as other pacers and broke free to get an arial view of the city. So we proceeded to immediately tie off the remaining balloons a bit more securely.

There was a good buzz at the start and we had identified a good number who were planning on the 1:50 time. Due to not knowing the city I didn't know were we were going but it was a nice route through the city and into the countryside, back into the city centre and down by the river and out to Thomond Park and a return to the city Finsh line. During the run we were calling out our time on the miles and letting those around us know how we were for pace (generally about 10 - 15 secs ahead of target overall). The pacees would also be shecking how we were at different stages and seemed reasured when they knew we were on pace (give or take a few secs). Cunavalos had the Garmin which was great for reassurance of pace for ourselves between the markers (some mile markers were not at the mile marks!). Cunavalos put his group cycling and team sports experience into operation throughout the run and was very encouraging to the runners around us. We had a group of about 15 or 20 for most of the way. Some ran on with 1 or 2 miles to go with our encouragement ringing in their ears. Others unfortunately drifted away on the inclines in the last few miles. We arrived at the 26mile marker (no specific HM markers) and slowed it down slightly and encouraged any runners behind to go for their 1:50 target which was moreorless in the bag for them at that stage. We crossed the mat in what we tought was 1:49:45 (text from Chip Co says 1:49:20). People were very thankful both afterwards and throughout the run and it was great to be able to help someway in getting people to their target time.

W/ending 02.05.10
    Swim: 5900m (3 sessions)
    Cycle: 111.4km/69.2miles (4 sess - incl 1 brick)
    Run: 46.5km/28.9miles (3 sess - incl 1 brick & 1 Race)

Mon 03 May 19:45
    Bike 49km 01:34:00

Went out the old N1, headwind on the way out which was great to be cycling with on the return. The bones in the outside of my feet are very sore when I finish the cycle. There must be something up with the shoes or the cleats. 31.3km/hr, HR 156avg, 171max

What make of bike you got?

Here's my bike. Went out yesterday solo, 2 x laps of Howth (church side up of course), 1st time she's been out this season, spinning well. Let me know when you're heading out again...

• Advertisement

Wow, that's the real deal. Yea I'll give you a shout. Planning my usual brick on Friday evening around 8 or 8.30pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

[

After breakfast any HM pacers in the hotel went to the lobby to wait for our lift into town (DaithiBC, Ecoli, Frankee and Cunavalos(my pacing kinsman)). The hotel was about 4 or 5 km from the city so about 30mins after we were supposed to be picked up we started to talk about what time we would need to leave at if we were to run into town. Thankfully another car arrived for us a little later.

Just aswell someone had the good sense to ring Andrew and let him know the car had not arrived eh? :pac:

Nice to meet you at the weekend. Same thing next year? I might have to step up to a faster pacing band, anytime space opened up in front of me my legs LONGED to stretch out.

Wow, that's the real deal. Yea I'll give you a shout. Planning my usual brick on Friday evening around 8 or 8.30pm.

Cool, drop me a text, I get the run in earlier than that but if I'm not playing football chances are I'll head out for a spin to Howth with ya

@ RQ (not @Christeb!) Ah ha, good woman yourself. I was wondering how they knew the our arranged lift hadn't arrived. Yea would love to do it again. Maybe for another half marathon this year. Who knows. Good to meet you too and your money!! I know what you mean, sometimes it felt very slow, but it's good to run slow now and again eh.

Tues 04 May 20:00
    Run Tempo 12.4km

1km WU and stretches, then 12.4km in 57:29, 4:38/km (7:28/ml) - 3.3km of this was tempo in 13:20, 4:02/km (6:30/ml). So the 9.1km was in 44:09, 4:51/km (7:48/km).
    This was a tough session due to tiredness. Bed beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Macanri it was a pleasure to run with you on sunday and i think we can be happy with a job well done. i have just had a look at some of the pictures on the net and i think i have figured out where we lost our regulars. Just after we turned onto the the Ennis Road were we met the runners coming back down the opposite side i recognise some of the faces

http://picasaweb.google.com/padraicbirmingham/LimerickMarathon2325MilePart2#5466705154888144338
    can only just see your balloon in the picture

http://picasaweb.google.com/padraicbirmingham/LimerickMarathon2325MilePart2#5466705171152514226 the heads look to be dropping here i never noticed how much of a hill there was at this point and there was still over 3 miles to go

picasaweb.google.com/padraicbirmingham/LimerickMarathon2325MilePart2#5466705183595161490 bib 3022 was the girl who ran almost the whole way with us and i checked her bib no on the results and she finished with a 1.51.22 .its a pity cos i thought she looked strong up till the point we crossed the river.

i have uploaded the garmin details onto the garmin training centre and have extrapolated the mile splits from there (Target Pace 8Mins23Secs/mile)

Mile 1 8Mins 10Secs (total deviation from target -13Secs)
    Mile 2 8Mins 18Secs (-18Secs)
    Mile 3 8Mins 25Secs (-16Secs)
    Mile 4 8Mins 30Secs (-9Secs)
    Mile 5 8Mins 30Secs (-2Secs)
    Mile 6 8Mins 14Secs (-11Secs)
    Half Way 54Mins48Secs (-12Secs)
    Mile 7 8Mins 20Secs (-14Secs)
    Mile 8 8Mins 24Secs (-13Secs)
    Mile 9 8Mins 33Secs (-3Secs)
    Mile 10 8Mins 15Secs (-11Secs)
    Mile 11 8Mins 22Secs (-12Secs)
    Mile 12 8Mins 23Secs (-12Secs)
    Mile 13 8Mins 15Secs (-20Secs)
    Finish 1.49.36 Chip Time (From Text 1.49.46)

These are approximate values but mile 1 it was difficult to find a rhythm we slowed a little too much around miles 4 and 5. Mile 6 took in the downhill by the church where we sped up because we felt we were slipping off schedule, miles 8 and 9 both took in the section around the potato market and mile 10 we picked up the pace because the mile marker outside the potato market (which was out by 80-100 yards) made us think we needed to increase pace and this also incorporated the little rise up the ennis road so was probably too fast . i think this is the section where those photos were taken. Around Thomond Park and the Gaelic Grounds we were bang on schedule and the last mile we probably got caught up in the excitement of the pacees going for pbs and we took the foot off the gas for the last 100 yards to help get everyone over the line. I suppose if we were to be supercritical on ourselves mile 10 and mile 13 do look a bit fast and contrary to what we thought when running we were never actually behind schedule and with the exception of mile 1 all miles were within +/-10secs of target

there may be some errors above because the above values are extrapolated from an online graph but i think it gives a good general picture.

Our chip times are a bit funny mine says 1.49.46 and your 1.49.20 yet we ran side by side all the way but seeing as mine is closer to the target we'll use mine.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play on the pacing M. You did a great job, and its great to see unselfish pacers really encouraging the pacees to meet their targets. Have contemplated doing something like that sometime - think i would need to bite the bullet and invest in a Garmin though!

Great stuff Cunavalos, Thats a great breakdown of splits and I agree fully with your reasoning regarding why some miles were slow/quick. Likewise it was a pleasure to run with you also. I'ld say you could have ran another half at the same pace, you looked very relaxed throughout.:cool: Re the final chip times I don't understand why the difference is there, but at least I beat you!!:p

If your up in the big smoke anytime give me a shout. I still have to get all those bike tips of you. Cheers man.

Thurs 6 May 06:30
    Coached Swim No 3 NAC 2500m

So we started with the killer kicks which just wreck me for the rest of the session.

2 x (50 F/C, 50 kick and scull (hands out in front and scull them over and back), 50 F/C, 50 side kicks)
    5 x 400 F/C with fins all off 7:30. 1st 400 easy, 2nd medium, 3rd fast, 4th and 5th as fast or faster than the 3rd. First time using fins so the ankles near fell of me at the end. I have no idea what the times were like, all I know is I got about 5 sec rest between each set and if I tried to grab 10 sec rest Bjorn would be there saying "come on, come on". Tough enough, but coulkd have tried a bit harder.
    100m back, hands by side and kick (no fins).

Feel great now after it. I'm not sure exactly what the fins are doing but I guess they are making your ankle more flexible and teaching to keep it more straight in line with the leg and also they probably help build up the leg kicking muscles. Q for interested (or anyone else) - Would that be correct?

Fri 7 May 06:30
    Swim 2300m NAC 50m

As usual I didn't really have a plan so last night before heading into the city for a work do (3 pints of stout had, home in bed for 12:00 - result) I decided I would do 750m straight. My reasoning behind this was that last weeks long swim was done after a good warm up, but on the day of the tri (next Sat 15 May) I will not get a warm up - it will be straight into the 750m swim.

Did 50m WU then 750m in 16:31 (PB - last week did it in 17:12) I met Bjorn afterwards and told him. His response - "Somethings working".:cool:
    Then did 200m, and 2 (5 x 100 off 2:30) the 100s came in around 2:05 - 2:10. Then finished with 3 x 100 CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Feel great now after it. I'm not sure exactly what the fins are doing but I guess they are making your ankle more flexible and teaching to keep it more straight in line with the leg and also they probably help build up the leg kicking muscles. Q for interested (or anyone else) - Would that be correct?

They're useful to get your muscles used to working correctly when kicking ... freestyle (and everything other than breastroke) is from the hip, slight bend of the knee and a flick of the ankle ... see useful vid here.

Wearing fins wakes up those muscles.
    I generally wear the Japaneese colours when swimming and was at the NAC this morning - I assume you werent wearing the wetsuit during your session ? there were a couple of people trying their suits out.

Thanks for the reply interested and the link...will have a look shortly.

No I wasn't one of the wetsuited swimmers. I still have to buy one yet. 1 of them was in lane 3 and had a fingal tri club (I think) swim hat on. The other is one of the lads from the Thurs morn coached swim, he was in lane 1 but moved into lane 2. I was in lane 2, I usually wear the light blue swim hat which I picked up at TriLaoise.

I plan to be there on Mon morning again, so if you spot me give me a shout.

Congrats on the Waterville result (I couldn't quite figure it out from the lads posts, but I'm guessing you were either 1st , 2nd or 3rd (probably first - in which case you have a rather approriate second name)).

Thanks for the reply interested and the link...will have a look shortly.

No I wasn't one of the wetsuited swimmers. I still have to buy one yet. 1 of them was in lane 3 and had a fingal tri club (I think) swim hat on. The other is one of the lads from the Thurs morn coached swim, he was in lane 1 but moved into lane 2. I was in lane 2, I usually wear the light blue swim hat which I picked up at TriLaoise.

I plan to be there on Mon morning again, so if you spot me give me a shout.

Congrats on the Waterville result (I couldn't quite figure it out from the lads posts, but I'm guessing you were either 1st , 2nd or 3rd (probably first - in which case you have a rather approriate second name)).

Cheers, yeah Id hope to be there regularly. Its a cracking resource.

Fri 7 May 19:50
    Bike/Run Brick 33.5km/8.4km

The usual Fri brick bike first in 1hr2min, 32.4km/hr HR 159avg, 171max. Fairly strong head wind on the way out. Legs tired. Then a leisurely transition and out for run 8.4km in 38:01, 4:30/km (7:18/ml), HR 155avg, 166max. I started out on the run flying it and then reignedit back a fair bit as the area between the calves and the achilles was quite tight and bordering on painful.

I was back in the bike shop to get new shoes (tri shoes) and he gave me the red cleats when he heard I was having sore bones in the outside of my foot coming of the bike. He said that it didn't sound right at all. The feet weren't as sore as with the other shoes but the were still slightly sore. I didn't wear socks to mimick the tri, my toes were numb with the cold after the bike but they warmed up nicely during the run. I tried putting the tri shoes on the pedals and holding with elastic. I placed my feet on top of them and cycled off, grand until I went to put my foot into the shoe - as soon as I lifted my foot of the shoe it tilted upside down so I spent a bit of time getting my foot into it, I ended up having to reach down and hold the back of the shoe while I put my foot into it. Then I did up the strap and away again. I then had the same problem/situation with the other shoe. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong as I can't imagine it should take up so much time. I'm going to google it.

Sat 08 May 14:45
    Cycle 77km 02:37:45

Had a look at a few videos on how to place the feet into the shoes, so I tried that in my bare feet at the start and then stopped up the road to put on my socks. A lovely afternoon for a spin out the countryside, went out the old N1 as far as Balbriggan then over through Naul into Oldtown and back the backroad to the airport and home. Hard on the legs to be honest. I feel that I have very little power on the bike recently. The stiff NE wind was still blowing so it was a tough enough outbound spin. 29.3km/hr Avg, HR 146avg, 165max. Not that many hills really. The feet were sore again for about 20 mins after I got off the bike.

Sun 9 May 11:00
    Run 12.4km 01:00:10

Felt sluggish enough, finished the last km with 5 x 45sec strides and 1 min jog recovery between, which livened up the legs a bit. Pace 4:56/k (7:56/ml), HR 158avg, 174max.

Week Totals:
    Swim 4800m (2 sessions)
    Bike 159.5km (3 sessions - incl 1 brick)
    Run 35.2km/21.9miles (3 sessions - incl 1 brick)
    The brick: B/R

Tues 11 May 20:00
    Run 8.4km, 37:36

Dicided to take a rest day on Monday as the legs were feeling very tired. Felt good during this quick tempo session. Did 2 x 1km at ~3:50/km during the run. The non tempo bits were 4:42/km (7:30/ml). HR 164 avg, 184max. Hope to be able to run the 5k off the bike somewhere very close to 20mins on Sat - Roe Valley Sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Great training Mac. You seemed to have really upped things in the last 10 days or so. What races are you really hoping to do well in this year? The very best of luck in Roe Valley Sprint this weekend man, look forward to reading your report.

Cheers El D. I suppose I have done a week or twos good solid stuff. I really hope to do well in all my races... the reality is sometimes different. Serriously tough I want to beat 1hr 20 and get as close to 1hr 15 as I can this Sat in Limavady. I have to think about the swim strategy for this one though: Any toughts are welcome:

I'm in heat 4. The lanes will not be allocated until the Sat morning. There are 30 people in the heat for a 5 lane pool, so 6 per lane. Most have swim times of 13 - 15mins, some 16 and 17mins. I have myself down for 18:00 (pb in a 50m pool is 16:31 - so probably aroun 17:00 in a 25m pool due to turns at walls??) The 6 slowest predicted times are 18, 18, 18, 18, 17 and 16:30. So I suppose we will have to recall the predisted times before we set out and arrange ourselves in order. One thing is for sure I won't be stopping this time and I'll stay with the pack.

I will do a few more sprints and then try a few Oly Dist and try to beat my time each outting.

• Advertisement

I have myself down for 18:00 (pb in a 50m pool is 16:31 - so probably aroun 17:00 in a 25m pool due to turns at walls??)

Best of luck with the race. As an aside, you're likely to swim faster in a 25m pool than a 50m pool. If you did that pb in the NAC then its very likely that the pool you'll do the swim in at the weekend will be 'faster' by virtue of the fact that it will be shallower and is short course (or 25m). Theres physics involved ... but trust me ... you may very well swim 90-120 seconds faster at the weekend.

Get yourself set up, tune in and give it a serious lash. Race days are the ones to remember the most ;)

Advertisement