Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Beat; Slow Feet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Macanri wrote: »
    Aw for frick sakes, I tought you just wanted to go for a handy spin.:D You will have to give me advance notice so I can taper and all:p. Re giving you a challenge, I saw your post on the duathlon, 38kph avg. Ha I've never even smelt that avg speed!

I suspect the course is short but for the purposes of psyching you out, yeah, I eat that speed for breakfast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

^^Breakfast, dinner and tea!!

Tues 20:00
    Tempo Run (total 13.4km/8.3mls)

1km WU stretches and
    3km in 13:25, 4:28/km (7:12/ml) HR 155avg
    4.8km in 19:45, 4:07/k (6:37/ml) HR 175avg
    4.6km in 21:44, 4:44/k (7:36/ml) HR 160avg

Total avg pace 4:26/km (7:07/ml) HR 164avg 180max

A rainy run so I went towards home after the tempo part a little quicker than I would / should have. Rest day tomorrow, ahh.

Thur 20 May 06:30
    5th Coached Session NAC

The alarm went off and I drifted back to sleep to wake 20 mins later. So scrammbled out the door and bombed it over to the NAC. Just got to the pool side before the start.
    8 x 50m (50m easy, 50m fast legs)
    100m backstroke
    500, 400, 300, 200, 100 (20 sec Rec between each, 500 easy, 400 slightly faster, 300 faster, 200 fast, 100 sprint)
    8 x 50m kick (with fins on and board - 25m easy, 25m fast - 20sec between each 50)
    100m CD
    I did an extra 50 to even out the swim table!
    Total 2550m
    A tough enough session but I felt good through it.

Fri 21 May 06:30
    Swim LC 2600m

Felt very tired this morning but glad I got out of the bed.
    300m WU
    5 x 100m off 2:30 (in on ~2:07)
    5 x 200m in on between 4:15 - 4:20 (20 sec rest between each 200)
    5 x 100m off 2:30 (in on ~2:07)
    300m CD

To all doing races this weekend all the best:
    Dusty, mloc, interested, Griffin100, MCOS, Oryx (don't know what she's doing but I know it involves hills!).
    Would like to be saying best wishes to El D, but next time man, next time. You'll be giving MCOS a good run for his money.

I'm contemplating doing one of the 5km in the area either this weekend or next weekend. Seeking another PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks dude, must say this week has been a low point for me. Really hope I can ease back into it by Monday, still not feeling too hot, summer is long though and I look forward to it. I echo the best wishes to all this weekend and to yourself Mac if you decide to run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thought id reply here, wont be able to make tonight at 8 as am meeting a mate at 9. what other night do you go out on the bike? sure let me know and i ll meet you (and chriteb if he s around) during the week.

Either Mon or Tues night can switch the run with the bike or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Cheers for thinking of me lads, but I've 17 days til exams and 19 days til my 2.5 wk hol to Colombia, so I'll look the 2 of you up in late June!

Either Mon or Tues night can switch the run with the bike or vice versa.
    Monday should be good (providing my sore neck doesnt reoccur on long spin 2moro), if you can get out early we can hit n1 and up nags head or if your out later we can go up over howth.

Thanks dude, must say this week has been a low point for me. Really hope I can ease back into it by Monday, still not feeling too hot, summer is long though and I look forward to it. I echo the best wishes to all this weekend and to yourself Mac if you decide to run!

Chin up man, the week is nearly over now and each day you're a day closer to being 100% again and back into the training. It'll be worth recoverying properly in the long run. As you say yourself, you have to think of the big picture for you. Still undecided as to whether I'll race or not, cheers though.
    christeb wrote: »
    Cheers for thinking of me lads, but I've 17 days til exams and 19 days til my 2.5 wk hol to Colombia, so I'll look the 2 of you up in late June!

The best of luck with the exams. And enjoy the holiday after them so. Yea and give us a shout later.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Monday should be good (providing my sore neck doesnt reoccur on long spin 2moro), if you can get out early we can hit n1 and up nags head or if your out later we can go up over howth.

Sound. I'll PM you my mobile no. I'm heading on a long bike tommorow myself 1.5 - 2hrs hopefully. Don't know what time yet, as I also have to plant a rake of trees around the garden. Hopefully I'll get the wee lad to bed early on Mon so.

• Advertisement

Fri 21 May 20:30
    Bike/Swim/Bike Brick
    Cycle 20.4km, Swim 1700m

I collected the cadence computer for the bike today and started to place it on the bike after I got the young lad to bed. I managed to get the computer and sensor mounted and the spoke magnet on, but I broke the cable tie for the cadence magnet, so will have to get another cable tie tomorrow. The sensor was awkard to mount as its designed to sit on a circular profile chain stay, but the chain stay on the Kellys is triangular in profile, so it's still not sitting 100%. The computer wasn't picking up the sensor when spinning the wheel in the house, but I had to go or I was going to be late for the pool, so a mad scramble to get into the cycling gear and pack a backpack for the swim gear. The computer picked up the sensor no probs on the road, good stuff. Forgot to bring the light for the bik for the way back.

8.7km spin out to the pool in Portmarnock. Got there in time for the swim session, so I mimicked a tri and did 1700m straight in 35mins and out for a quick dry off and onto the bike for 11.7km a longer route home. The homeward spin was down hill first and then flat so I maybe need to change that next time for a little more challenging a spin. Happy with the brick. Seemed to have a bit of power in the legs, but maybe didn't kick during the swim as much as I could/should have.
    Avg 30.6kph, max 47.8kph, HR 145avg, 168max.

Sun 23 May 16:00
    Bike 46.8km

Didn't get to do any training yesterday as I was planting trees in the garden. Still have more to do. Had plenty of little hands helping me which makes the job twice as long as it should!

Mrs M and the kids went up to thir cousin in Drogheda so i followed them up on the bike and put it in the boot on the way home. Have the cadence sensor on now, it doesn't give an average but I was probably around 90 - 100 avg and max around 115. Avg 33.7kph, max 52.6kph. HR 160avg, 174max.

Week Totals
    Swim 9350m (4 sess - incl 1 brick)
    Bike 94.6km (3 sess - incl 1 brick)
    Run 13.4km (1 sess)

Sun 23 May 16:00
    Bike 46.8km

Avg 33.7kph.

:eek: - You ll have to take it easy on me tonight. I ll defo be out, do you wanna meet down in sutton or howth? what time suits yourself?

kennyb, Sorry about this, but I have to get these trees finished before dark tonight and will probably run into tommorow night too. I don't want them to die on me before I even get them into the ground. But we could meet up on Fri evening or else next mon or Tues evening.

no problem dude, stuff comes up and im sure i ll be the same. we ll sort something out towards the end of the week. i ll pm you thurs evening.

Mon 24 06:30
    Swim LC 2200m

200 WU
    3 x (300, 200, 100 progression)
    200 CD
    No idea of times.

Planting trees on Mon evening meant didn't get the bike training session in but hope to do it tomorrow now. Nice and easy before the thurs morning coached swim. Cut the grass this evening so didn't get out for a run til near 10. A lovely still night all the same.

Tues 25 22:00
    Run 13.4km

1km WU Then 12.4 km in 54:57, 4:26/km (7:08/ml) HR 164avg, 173max. The funny thing about this run was it was my first run since this day last week. Last Tues I did the exact same run as a Tempo and finished just 3 seconds quicker. My Hr avg last week was exact same as tonight 164 but my max was 180 last week wheras 173 tonight. The difference being that tonight I didn't up the pace like but just ran the steady pace throughout, unlike the tempo where I would have upped the pace for the tempo section. There you go, another piece of useless information!:D

Nothing done on Wed 26th. Meant to go for a cycle but the wee ones had slept at about 5ish on their way home from their cousins so they were full of beans come normal bedtime. Plus Mrs M was meeting a friend. So that was that for Wed training.

Thurs 27 May 06:30
    6th Coached Swim LC 2400m

Was late getting out of the bed so I missed the first 100m of the following:
    6 x 50m WU easy
    800 w fins, 600, 400 w pullbouy, 200 15 sec rec between each. All FC 800, 600 and 400 were all to be done above comfortable pace, and 200 was to be done at 90%. The 400 w the pull bouy went fairly well for me. I'm still having to force myself to kick constantly, but my pull seems strong. Over the last few weeks I have been getting slight pain in my shoulder joints though. So hopefully it won't get any worse.
    150 CD and 50 BkSt.

Fri 28 May 06:45
    Bike to Work 30.8km
    Brick home 23.2km/4.2km

I had planned a morning swim but the wee lad was brought into the bed during the night and he woke with me when the alarm went off at 05:50 so I got up with him and decided that I would cycle to and from work to not have a wasted day, which meant I didn't have to leave til 06:45. So Mrs M got up then to take the wee sprog.
    Went the long way to work 30.8km, avg29.6kph, max46.7kph, HR 154avg, 180max.
    Was in a hurry home so 23.2km, avg33.9kph, max52.3kph, HR 166avg, 184max. This was hair raising enough through the city centre weaving in and out around cars. When I got home Macanri junior was already in bed a sleep (earlier than usual) so I decided to turn it into a brick. Seeing as I stormed home I decided to keep the tempo up and run the run quick, so 4.2km in 16:09, 3:51min/km (6:11/ml).
    Out for pints with work Fri night (4 pints of the black stuff, mixed with a couple of water). So left my car at work and finished my long cycle there today and brought car and bike home, grand stuff.
    Sat 29 May 15:00
    Bike 57.7km

57.7km, avg32.2kph, max48.8kph, HR 154avg, 173max.

Sun 30 May 11:00
    LSR 16.4km

1km WU stretches and then 15.4km in 01:15:02, 4:52/km (7:50/ml), HR 149avg, 158max.

Happy with the HRavg.

Week Totals:
    Swim 4600 2 sessions
    Cycle 111.7km 3 sess (incl 1 brick)
    Run 34km 3 sess (incl 1 brick)

Mon 31 May 06:30
    Swim 2600m LC

2 x 100m WU
    600, 500 (w fins), 400, 300, 200, 100
    1 x 50 Bkst
    5 x 250 CD

Threw in the 500 w fins to mimick Bjorns sessions, I'm sure there's a reason for it, helps develop leg strength, trains ankle to tilt more, gives feel for a proper kick.?!
    On the WU and CD lengths I practiced my sighting, looking up just before turning my head to breathe, usually every 3rd or 4th breath.

Forgot to mention earlier but I bought (more feckin money) a Sailfish 'attack' wetsuit last week. Still have to get it wet yet! So if anyones going OW swimming in Dublin (north preferably) give me a shout please. I went in looking for the entry level Blueseventy, but they didn't have the sprint, so tried on 4 suits and felt better round the shoulders in the one I got.

Mon 20:00
    Run 16.4km Tempo

1km WU and 15.4km run with 3.9km tempo thrown in. O/all HR 162avg, 181max.
    4.4km in 20mins, 4:33/km (7:19/m), HR 157avg
    3.9km in 15:45, 4:02/km (6:30/ml), HR 177avg
    7.1km in 31:35, 4:27/km (7:09/m), HR 157avg

May Totals:
    Swim 24200m
    Cycle 406.5km
    Run 154.4km

May Totals:
    Swim 24200m
    Cycle 406.5km
    Run 154.4km

:eek: That is some weeks total Mac! Hope you are planing a week off/easy week soon! Keep it up man, you seem to be flying it!

• Advertisement

I feckin wish El D, I feckin wish! - Thats MAYs total - 1 month, not 1 week. LOL, LOL You really put a smile on my face there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You might get those weekly stats if you combined Interested, Cunavalos and TF Bubendorfer together. It would be a new breed of superhero, faster than Superman, stronger than the Hulk and able to leap tall buildings in one single bound.

The boardinator perhaps

Good spin, thanks for the company, really enjoyed it - need a rest tomorrow now tho.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Good spin, thanks for the company, really enjoyed it - need a rest tomorrow now tho.

Likewise my man, likewise. It was great to share the road with you and have a bit of banter rather than just going head down and huffin and puffin the whole way round. Rest day tomorrow for me too. Best bit: spinning in the mini peleton (spelling?) with those 2 other guys, worst bit: your puncture (worse on you though - as you now have to get that rim looked at again). Thanks again.

Tues 01 June 19:30
    Bike 50km with kennyb3

Met up with kb3 just before the hill up to Howth (graveyard side). Chatted for a bit and then into the long climb. After that it was down hill and out the cycle path by Clontarf up the Malahide road to Malahide and back to Raheny for me via Portmarnock.

So that was an even 50km on the nose. Speed 29.8kph avg, 56.3kph max, HR 138avg, 177max. Avg HR lower due to stops.

Really enjoyed the spin and the company this evening. And the weather was just great, mild and a very light wind.

I feckin wish El D, I feckin wish! - Thats MAYs total - 1 month, not 1 week. LOL, LOL You really put a smile on my face there.

LOL I feel silly now....what was I thinking! :confused:

LOL I feel silly now....what was I thinking! :confused:

Not to worry, it could happen to a bishop.

Rest day yesterday and spent the evening digging up the old stumps of 2 trees in the fron garden - core work, weilding a pick and shovel.

The young lad woke me this morning at 3am and I went in to settle him down, thinking ok 3 hrs sleep before I get up for the Thurs morn coached swim. Next thing I knew it was 7:10. Sh1t, I forgot to set the alarm on the phone going to bed last night, what a plonker.:o

I stopped of in the NAC befor ework and Bjorn was still there so I will do the session in the morning:
    8 x 50m (50 easy, 50 building to a sprint)
    15 x 100m off 2:30 (others were off 2:15) aim is to keep consistant and be wrecked by the 13th or 14th.
    8 x 50m CD

Mrs M has yoga this evening so i don't know will I get a chance to squeeze in a session later. If not it will be two rest days back to back:rolleyes:

Fri 04 June 06:30
    Swim LC 2500m

Yesterday I had contemplated doing a core session in the house while the kids were in bed and Mrs M was at her yoga, but looking out into the garden at the bushes which I had been meaning to cut for the last number of weeks got the better of me and the planned core session. So I armed myself with the hedge clippers and did an Edward Sissorhands on them for an hour and a half or so.

Did the missed coach session set on me own this morning.
    8 x 50m (50 easy, 50 building to a sprint) 10 sec rec between each 50.
    Main Set of 15 x 100m off 2:15
    8 x 50m (50 easy, 50 building to a sprint) 10s rec
    added in 2 x 100m CD

When I spoke to Bjorn yesterday he said the main set was off 2:15, I told him that I normally come in on 2:10 for the 100m so he said to go off 2:30. So this morning when I started into the main set I decided to swim above comfortable and see what time I would come in on the first 100m. I came in on about 1:50. So I decided to do the next few off 2:15 and see how it went. The next couple came in on 2:00 or just under it. So I kept with the 'off 2:15'. I held that pace and did the full set off 2:15 in the end coming in around the 2:00 each time. Some where in on about 2:04/05. So happy with a quality swim session and being able to hold it together over the full set.

Fri 20:30
    OW Swim 1500m / 16km Bike

I met up with nomadic at the Bull Wall (after he managed to find it) for the first OW swim ever! (Bar the odd few metres chasing the surfboard when the leash snapped). While I was waiting for nomadic I was sussing out where to swim. There were a few bare backs already in the water. I noticed an old geezer with a towel in a bag walking back to his car and I asked him where was best to go. So he set me straight but said that we hadn't long as the tide was a good bit out - about 3/4 hr left.
    So when nomadic arrived we had a quick chat and got suited out and headed into the water. The water was quite nice temperature wise. Feet, hands and head didn't notice any cold at all which was great. We went out about 20 or 30m and the water was about 3 - 4 ft deep and swam parallel to the wall. We swam up to a marker on the wall and back down to another marker, where the water was even shallower ~ 2+1/2 ft. We went up and down again. We taught that it was about 800m or so but after we got out I cycled from marker to marker and clocked it on the computer and it was 375m on the nose, so we did 4 of those = 1500m. I have no idea how long we were in the water, but sure no matter.

I found the wesuit ok for flexiblibility around the shoulders but felt it chaffing under the armpits (mental note: body glide here in future), and I got a nice bit of surf-burn from the suit on the back of my neck. The water was a grand cool temperature but was no way cold - I have been in the Atlantic in Jan and Feb - that's cold. But the waters off the east don't compare one iota with the waters off the Atlantic which are crystal clear. Say no more.
    In relation to swimming straight, I drifted a few times but because the wall was parallel to us you could tell if you were heading off course and I did a bit of sighting too. I think both myself and nomadic found the first 'length' fairly disorientating. But the rest were grand.

So well happy with my first OW swim. And looking forward to my next one. Mrs M wasn't going to let me go OW swimming at all when I told her first! She's still not too keen on the idea, but was happier when I told her there were a fair few people swimming at Bull Wall.

I went for a quick spin on the bike on a loop back to the car after the swim to continue my Fri evening brick session routine, 31.7kph avg speed. No HRM.

• Advertisement

Great swim session there Mac, well done, you are really hitting the swimming hard and it's paying off!

Advertisement