Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing 185/55 R14 with 185/60 R14 on a Ford Fiesta

• 26-11-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm looking at replacing my 2 front tyres at the moment as mentioned in the title. The Michelins I want have a 30 euro difference (!) a piece between the two profiles. I reckon the visual difference in the profiles would be minimal.

If the prices stay the same, eventually I'd replace the rears with the 185/60s too. Otherwise, i'll just rotate them back-to-front. :)

Any reason why I shouldn't go for the 185/60 R14's?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nomad81

Cheers for that. Put my mind at ease as to how it'll look. There's a 1cm difference in the profiles of the two tyres. I reckon it'll look alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It will throw the accuracy of your speedo off a bit too, due to the extra circumference of the higher profile tyres. You'll be travelling further per revolution of the wheel so your speedo will read less than your actual speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I love playing with that thing, one of the most useful internet calculator thingies I've ever bookmarked!
    RE: speedo, the error is 3.3% according to that tool, or a 2mph under read at 60mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

2 Espressi wrote: »
    I love playing with that thing, one of the most useful internet calculator thingies I've ever bookmarked!
    RE: speedo, the error is 3.3% according to that tool, or a 2mph under read at 60mph.

I didn't click. Small enough to disregard then really, probably under-reading by at least that much already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tbh, I'd stick with the existing profile. The lower profile will be that bit harsher. Also, if mixing profiles, the lower ones should always go on the rear.

Regardless of profile changes, new tyres should go on the rear, not the front. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but needed for stability under braking.

Not your ornery onager

Car failed the effin' NCT last night due to a damaged rear tyre sidewall... gonna have it changed tomorrow, so I'm gonna do them both as well. No sense in having 3 brand new tyres and 1 old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can get a set of 4 Good Year Duragrips (185/60 same price) or Vredestein Quadtracs in 185 55 14 from camskill.co.uk delivered for €208.78, add €50 for fitting locally and you're up to €260.

You could also get a set of Toyo CF1s for €162 delivered, that makes €210 fitted.

If you're not fussed about grip, A set of Nankangs (185/60 same price as 185/55) will cost €137 delivered, that's about €190 fitted.

Most tyre companies will offer you worse tyres for more money.

Delivery from Camskill generally takes 2 days max.

Thanks colm, already had the 2 front Michelin Energ Savers fitted on Wednesday though, so the 2 rears are going to be fitted tomorrow morning. Wanted to give the Energy Savers a go since they've gotten good reviews (mostly) and apparently last a long, long time.

Advertisement