Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bertie Ahern to lecture in Maynooth as "Visiting Professor"?

• 26-11-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭

Maynooth group expresses its opposition to Ahern appointment
    DEAGLÁN de BRÉADÚN Political Correspondent

A GROUP of academics and students at NUI Maynooth has called on the university to suspend its appointment of former taoiseach Bertie Ahern as a visiting professor pending the outcome of the Mahon tribunal.

Campaigners said up to 1,000 signatures opposing the appointment had been collected among the student body and a public meeting on the issue took place last week.

Some 36 academics, including professors and senior lecturers, have written to NUIM president, Prof John Hughes, expressing “profound opposition” to Mr Ahern’s presence on campus, in light of the tribunal evidence over his finances.

Prof Hughes described these arguments as “irrelevant and prejudicial”, adding that, “in Ireland as elsewhere, people are innocent until proven guilty”.

Mr Ahern is expected to give his inaugural lecture shortly but the university said no date had been set. The appointment, which is unpaid, was originally announced in March.

A spokeswoman for NUIM said last night it was “entirely appropriate” to appoint Mr Ahern as honorary adjunct professor of mediation and conflict intervention in the school of business and law, whose courses include a diploma and master’s degree in mediation and conflict intervention. She said the professorship acknowledged the former taoiseach’s “mediation skills” and his “unique experience” in the context of the Nice Treaty and the Northern Ireland peace process.

In a letter dated June 12th, prior to the summer break, the group of academics from a range of faculties wrote to Prof Hughes expressing “profound opposition” to the appointment. Their main objection arose from the “continuing ambiguity surrounding Mr Ahern’s financial affairs, and the implications of these financial affairs for his conduct while in public office”.

In a reply marked “Strictly Private Confidential” on June 17th, Prof Hughes wrote: “A strong case was put to me by the head of business and law based on the extensive experience and reputation of this individual in conflict resolution and mediation, and his potential contribution to the new diploma and master’s programmes in this area.”

A further letter from the objectors states that “the political track record of Mr Ahern is one that, on balance, renders him unworthy of the prestigious position that he has been afforded”. In addition, the letter states that, “given the pivotal role of Mr Ahern in squandering the unanticipated riches of the Celtic Tiger era, the decision of NUI Maynooth [to appoint him] as an honorary professor simply beggars belief”.

Efforts to contact Mr Ahern for comment last night were unsuccessful.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1126/1224259488850.html

Sounds like people aren't too happy about this. Opinions?

*Edit -Just saw this was being debated in another thread, Mods if you feel it warrants its own thread then leave it, if not please delete

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I'm a member of Free Education for Everyone (FEE), the protest group that began the campaign against his appointment as son as news broke. Its been picked up now by The Sunday World, RTE Radio, The Northside People (A fantastic front page in Berties own heartland), The Irish Times, Newstalk, Vincent Browne and other media.

I'm in a hurry out the door but our stuff on the issue is available at www.free-education.info.

10332_1118910461042_1475439997_30298560_50305_a.jpg
    A corrupt politician...and Ray Burke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Lads, ye don't have a leg to stand on. As far as the topic that Ahern will be lecturing on, it seems completely agreeable that this is an area that he is capable in. You can't protest about his appointment to this post due to the mans financial situation. I don't like him either, but in truth. Its not something that really makes sense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

And given that he's doing it for free, if they succeed in preventing him coming the college will be out of pocket hiring a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You can protest about whatever the hell you want. The man is a crook. That is my opinion and the university is devalued by his presence here. And no one plans on preventing the man for dribbling his nonsense out on the pulpit, it's just a peaceful protest ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

He's an "accountant" and now he's a "professor" too.
    Now end to the mans abilities.

• Advertisement

Do you know the man? you have an understanding of him purely on secondary sources. Personally, I could only disagree with him being here, if I went to one of his lectures and found him unhelpful at best. I don't know the man, I can't judge or understand the man. If he's awful, replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Ahern

Wikipedia should offer a completely independent and unbiased account of Bertie Ahern. It usually does too

The first half is about all he achieved in politics and the second is marked as "controversy"

Here are just some quotes from it
    "One of the high points of the first six months(head of FF) was the renewal of the Provisional IRA ceasefire"

"A significant achievement of Ahern's first term was his part in the negotiation of the Belfast Agreement, commonly called the Good Friday Agreement"

"Ahern and Blair were jointly awarded the Thomas J. Dodd Prize in International Justice and Human Rights for their work on the Good Friday Agreement to promote peace between Britain and Northern Ireland."

"On 22 May 2008, Ahern and Blair were both awarded honorary doctorates by Queen's University Belfast in recognition of their roles in the peace process. University Chancellor George Mitchell praised Mr Ahern as "a man of peace and a builder of bridges"."

Sounds pretty good to me.

The man is the most successful political leader of our time. The amount of time he's spent as toaiseach is only surpassed by Eamon De Valera.

He's led our country through the best years of it's history(even if it has failed now).

On the topic which someone discussed earlier "if he's capable of teaching?"
    The people with the best material are the people that have the best experience! Although some of these guys do have problems getting their points across. Some people just are not good teachers.
    But he's been a politician for so long and (obviously not all the time) his job is to get his point across.

Whether he's done wrong in the past, should not mean that a few who "think he's a crook" should ruin the educational opportunities that the students in his class may have.
    Someone said here also that he gets paid a lot on the international lecture circuit and he's going to offer his services to Maynooth for free? Some people don't think it's for free and he's doing it for his cv? This man does not need anything more on his CV.

There are no doubt that there has been to say the least unusual happenings with his dealings and some funny quotes to go a long with it too!

"It is not correct, and if I said so, I was not correct -- I cannot recall if I said it, but I did not say, or if I did, I did not mean to say it -- that these issues could not be dealt with until the end of the Mahon Tribunal."

and this is my favorite
    In 2004, Joe Higgins described Ahern's response to questions as "like playing handball against a hay stack. You hear a dull thud but the ball never comes back to you".

and finally
    Historian Diarmaid Ferriter said:
    "There'll be broad consensus around what Bertie did in Northern Ireland, the social partnership and the unity he brought to his own party Also, he made Fianna Fáil the permanent party of government. They used to have all of the power most of the time, but now they have most of the power all of the time. All of that takes skill. But I wonder will people talk about 'Ahernism'? Is there any such thing? What does he actually stand for? In some ways Bertie's lack of vision was a positive, it made him flexible and willing to compromise, and he was certainly outstanding in that regard. But I dissent from the universal plaudits going around at the moment. He had no social or economic vision for the state he led. There was no fire in his belly. He didn't really want to change society for the better. He was the ward boss writ large. But at the moment it seems it's unfashionable to say anything adverse about Bertie."

There's no doubt that Bertie has something to offer the students of Conflict Resolution and I hope for the students sake he comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

Effluo wrote: »

The Irony of it all......

A college student using wikipedia to back up an arguement......

(last week wiki told me thierry henry was a ****, must be true:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Bertie didnt end the troubles by himself, if you were to belive this you'd be wrong...

A question needs to be asked why Prof Hughes is sooo adamant with bertie coming here for only two lectures a year, what can you really do in two lectures???

Added to this the Good Prof has shown utter contempt toward the student body on this issue... One in every six students sign this petition is less than what two days????? (how many people voted in student elections???)

"Prof Hughes described these arguments as “irrelevant and prejudicial”, adding that, “in Ireland as elsewhere, people are innocent until proven guilty”.

as for innocent til proven guilty, what a cop out.......

Teabag! wrote: »
    The Irony of it all......

If you noticed, all those points are referenced at the bottom of the page
    Bertie didnt end the troubles by himself, if you were to belive this you'd be wrong...
    Who said that? Did someone say that? Nobody ever said that... :rolleyes:
    Plz read what i posted, i mean how can anyone have debate when someone makes comments like this?
    A question needs to be asked why Prof Hughes is sooo adamant with bertie coming here for only two lectures a year, what can you really do in two lectures???
    Don't be so silly, are you saying that there is no point in him having "only two lectures". What's the point of any guest speaker then? An hour and a half speech which ex Ireland rugby coach Eddie O' Sullivan gave to me and some classmates has been one of the most inspirational of my life.

Can't believe i read this far... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

Ah sure didn't you work hard for those 1 in 6 signatures, the amount of people that refused to sign was a lot greater, and protesting about someone who'll be doing 2 lectures and not getting paid for it like really what do you think is going to happen, I'm not even doing business or law but I hope I'll be able to slip in for those lectures to hear what he has to say.

• Advertisement

I'm not even doing business or law but I hope I'll be able to slip in for those lectures to hear what he has to say.

same as

If you noticed, all those points are referenced at the bottom of the page

just because its referenced doenst mean its un biased, and further more doesnt mean i have to agree with it.
    Who said that? Did someone say that? Nobody ever said that... :rolleyes:
    Plz read what i posted, i mean how can anyone have debate when someone makes comments like this?

To make a man who is despised throughout the country a professor of conflict resolution is a little rediculous,
    Especially when he cant be brought into the college publicly as its a source of conflict between students and the college authorities.....
    Don't be so silly, are you saying that there is no point in him having "only two lectures". What's the point of any guest speaker then? An hour and a half speech which ex Ireland rugby coach Eddie O' Sullivan gave to me and some classmates has been one of the most inspirational of my life.

Thats hardly the basis for an arguement. Theres a little bit of a diference between guest speakers and making people honorary professors.....

Can't believe i read this far... :(
    So your saying he's innocent?

Ah sure didn't you work hard for those 1 in 6 signatures,

Eh no, i had nothing to do with the collecting of signatures. But I did sign it, and i watched a whole tutorial group sign the the thing....
    the amount of people that refused to sign was a lot greater,

Can you prove this??? of course you cant, from what i saw there were a hand full of collectors, in maybe two locations, and they got over 1000 signatures..... (added to this how many people will generally be in a hurry to get to lectures....)

How many do the SU have for the petition on a new canteen????? (because surely this is an issue we can all agree on)
    and protesting about someone who'll be doing 2 lectures and not getting paid for it like really what do you think is going to happen, I'm not even doing business or law but I hope I'll be able to slip in for those lectures to hear what he has to say.

I'm not doin business or law either, so i wont get to sit on his lectures (that said nobody will know when he is due is, so good luck in getting your seat there) but the fact of the matter is that the college is bringing a man into the college who is corrupt, he may be charming and a nice bloke to sup a pint with, but he is still corrupt.....

not only is he corrupt, but he jump from office like a rat from a sinking ship, just as things began to go down hill......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Lads, ye don't have a leg to stand on. As far as the topic that Ahern will be lecturing on, it seems completely agreeable that this is an area that he is capable in. You can't protest about his appointment to this post due to the mans financial situation. I don't like him either, but in truth. Its not something that really makes sense.

If I may repeat myself from the other thread...

The norm with issues such as this is to invite him as a guest speaker, or perhaps to conduct a series of seminars. The award of honorary doctorate is useful in cases like this for publicity stunts, but with someone like Bertie, who in fairness would have an interesting contribution to make to conflict studies - but little beyond - an adjunct professorship is unusual and inappropriate.

No one is questioning his suitability as a contributor to the subject. The timing of his appointment amidst the worst cutbacks we have faced in a long time (and resources will be spent on his entertainment and publicity) is insulting. His appointment violates the conventions of adjunct professorship before we get to the principle of him being subject to tribunal investigation.

(For comparison, Patrick Commins and Liam Downey - current and past adjunct professors - experts in their field, director of Teagasc, sitting member of many higher education review panels, internationally respected geographer and biochemist - with industrial, academic and public service contributions)

just because its referenced doenst mean its un biased, and further more doesnt mean i have to agree with it.
    Who said you had to agree with it, Someone you had to agree with it? Nobody ever you had to agree with it... omg :eek:
    Theres a little bit of a diference between guest speakers and making people honorary professors.....
    He's a guest speaker and the title does not matter. It would seem Irish Colleges these days like to give honorary degrees and such to anyone at all. (Will Ferrel)
    So your saying he's innocent?

This is the last time I'm going to respond to Teabag as I think he may be adding little bits of trolling into his posts directed at my posts.
    For example above "So your saying he's innocent?" has absolutely nothing to do what i said.
    Also in the other post when he claimed that I was insinuating that "Bertie ended the troubles by himself", this again has nothing to do with my post.

"what can you really do in two lectures???"
    I quote this and say to paraphrase "Are you saying that all guest speakers are pointless"
    At which point he responds
    "To make a man who is despised throughout the country a professor of conflict resolution is a little rediculous, "
    Which again has nothing to do with my post even though it's quoted before it.

I could go on but i think it's better to end this now, so the thread doesn't just end up being a load of babble.

I'm sure you'll all understand

Wikipedia should offer a completely independent and unbiased account of Bertie Ahern. It usually does too

What?
    The first half is about all he achieved in politics and the second is marked as "controversy"

"One of the high points of the first six months(head of FF) was the renewal of the Provisional IRA ceasefire"

"A significant achievement of Ahern's first term was his part in the negotiation of the Belfast Agreement, commonly called the Good Friday Agreement"

"Ahern and Blair were jointly awarded the Thomas J. Dodd Prize in International Justice and Human Rights for their work on the Good Friday Agreement to promote peace between Britain and Northern Ireland."

"On 22 May 2008, Ahern and Blair were both awarded honorary doctorates by Queen's University Belfast in recognition of their roles in the peace process. University Chancellor George Mitchell praised Mr Ahern as "a man of peace and a builder of bridges"."

Excellent record - far from his own doing, but certainly worth of a guest lecture series.

You're missing the point, no one is questioning (disregarding his frankly disgraceful political history) his worth as a contributor. Adjunct professorship is an honour, and a mark of respect. It is a recognition of the life achievements of an individual who has contributed beyond the conventional bounds of academia to the advancement of a field of knowledge/area of expertise.

His appointment is a disrespect to the individuals whom have been granted such posts in the past. It should be no different to a doctoral viva - the committe considers the integrity of the discipline before awarding the student the title of doctor. His appointment is another of many trends in the lowering of standards across third level.
    The man is the most successful political leader of our time. The amount of time he's spent as toaiseach is only surpassed by Eamon De Valera.

He's led our country through the best years of it's history(even if it has failed now).

Bertie's policies were instrumental in exposing us to the worst of this current crisis, protecting the wealthiest and punishing the most vulnerable. By what standard are you evaluating success??

The people with the best material are the people that have the best experience! Although some of these guys do have problems getting their points across. Some people just are not good teachers.
    But he's been a politician for so long and (obviously not all the time) his job is to get his point across.

Whether he's done wrong in the past, should not mean that a few who "think he's a crook" should ruin the educational opportunities that the students in his class may have.

In a position like this, it should matter more than anything. 'Think'? That Haughey's right hander was taking a p*ss every time the boss was up to no good?
    Someone said here also that he gets paid a lot on the international lecture circuit and he's going to offer his services to Maynooth for free? Some people don't think it's for free and he's doing it for his cv? This man does not need anything more on his CV.

My problem with this is that everyone seems to disregard the integrity of the position to defend him on grounds of experience. A professorship is a decision not to be taken lightly, and with such blatant pandering.

There's no doubt that Bertie has something to offer the students of Conflict Resolution and I hope for the students sake he comes.

Agreed, but the man will never meet the standards of professor
    Ah sure didn't you work hard for those 1 in 6 signatures, the amount of people that refused to sign was a lot greater, and protesting about someone who'll be doing 2 lectures and not getting paid for it like really what do you think is going to happen, I'm not even doing business or law but I hope I'll be able to slip in for those lectures to hear what he has to say.

The issue is one of academic standards and the integrity of the professorship. Two lectures without pay would be great, and as I have already said, welcomed. History have invited a member of the orange order to deliver a lecture on the north - irrespective of controversy, a perspective from all sides is always welcome - that is not the issue.

He's a guest speaker and the title does not matter. It would seem Irish Colleges these days like to give honorary degrees and such to anyone at all. (Will Ferrel)

When will ferrel gets an Honorary degree from amynooth right after running the country down the tubes i'll complain, but the topic here is bertie.

This is the last time I'm going to respond to Teabag as I think he may be adding little bits of trolling into his posts directed at my posts.
    For example above "So your saying he's innocent?" has absolutely nothing to do what i said.

without going down that road, your not really in a position to call anyone a troll.... if you dont want to debate thats fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teabag! viewpost.gif

Can't believe i read this far... frown.gif [/quote]

Clearly my question does have something to do with what you are saying.

Also in the other post when he claimed that I was insinuating that "Bertie ended the troubles by himself", this again has nothing to do with my post.

i said that the college were making it seem that he was singlehandedly responsible for ending the troubles.... with thewhole honrary prof thing,

"what can you really do in two lectures???"
    I quote this and say to paraphrase "Are you saying that all guest speakers are pointless"
    At which point he responds
    "To make a man who is despised throughout the country a professor of conflict resolution is a little rediculous, "
    Which again has nothing to do with my post even though it's quoted before it.

I'm sure you'll all understand

ok, tell me what can you do in two lectures???

and are you saying that it is appropriate to have a professor of conflict resolution, who is by his own actions a source of conflict??

B4 I reply i'd just like to say that after readin efla's post on what Patrick Commins and Liam Downey said, I didn't realise that anyone actually valued what Berite is being offered.
    efla wrote: »
    You're missing the point, no one is questioning his worth as a contributor.
    Actually a good few on this forum have!
    All the protesters i've heard on here don't want him here at all.
    His appointment is a disrespect to the individuals whom have been granted such posts in the past.

His appointment is another of many trends in the lowering of standards across third level.

Completely and utterly agree and I "musty"(that was a typo but i like the way it sounds) say i was quite proud of NUIM for not devaluing it's degrees and accolades general worth like the other Irish Uni's have!
    Unfortunately it has become more and more that a title is just becoming a pointless publicity stunt. If NUIM are awarding him this for publicity, it's work like a dream Front Page? Do you know how much that costs!!! :o
    Bertie's policies were instrumental in exposing us to the worst of this current crisis, protecting the wealthiest and punishing the most vulnerable. By what standard are you evaluating success??

The incredible growth in our economy, which is used in economic examples right across the globe. Yes we are all aware of the mess we are in now, but even to where we are now is a million miles ahead of where we were when Bertie first came into power. Every part of Ireland has improved.
    In a position like this, it should matter more than anything. 'Think'? That Haughey's right hander was taking a p*ss every time the boss was up to no good?

If that makes him a crook, why the hell was he elected by the Irish people and as the leader of FF? Truth be told i know very little of him and Haughey's relationship. But we all know the Irish people made their decision on that several times by electing him!

B4 I reply i'd just like to say that after readin efla's post on what Patrick Commins and Liam Downey said, I didn't realise that anyone actually valued what Berite is being offered.

Patrick passed away last year, Liam is currently adjunct professor of biology - they didnt say that, I was referring to them as examples of the kind of people whom have been granted adjunct professorship

Completely and utterly agree and I "musty"(that was a typo but i like the way it sounds) say i was quite proud of NUIM for not devaluing it's degrees and accolades general worth like the other Irish Uni's have!
    Unfortunately it has become more and more that a title is just becoming a pointless publicity stunt. If NUIM are awarding him this for publicity, it's work like a dream Front Page? Do you know how much that costs!!! :o

The standards thing is going to become a big issue over the next few years I would say, especially with pressure to increase admissions and consolidate teaching
    The incredible growth in our economy, which is used in economic examples right across the globe. Yes we are all aware of the mess we are in now, but even to where we are now is a million miles ahead of where we were when Bertie first came into power. Every part of Ireland has improved.

Our growth was a function of favourable demographics, EU structural fund accession, high educational output, international investment and liberal corporate tax policy (and tax incentive packages). Bertie's government left us with an exchequer dependent on a tax base with no system of accountability or appropriate external auiditing. And a solid legal framework for protecting those best positioned to ride out the worst. This is off topic, check here for more.
    If that makes him a crook, why the hell was he elected by the Irish people and as the leader of FF? Truth be told i know very little of him and Haughey's relationship. But we all know the Irish people made their decision on that several times by electing him!

Ray Burke, before the Bailey brothers scandal in the 1980's was accused of corruption in 1973, only to top the polls in his constituency in the 1970's. Michael Clarke went to jail for two years for forging department of agriculture cheques only to be re-elected in the locals this year. Stroke Fahy also convicted of stealing council money, re-elected this year. Beverly Cooper-Flynn still sits in Mayo... Michael Lowry after ESAT and Dunne??!

Never mind Bertie, we have an electorate consistently content to return convicted criminals to public office. There are far more worrying cases than Bertie. The 'Irish people' did not elect him, his well-oiled Drumcondra constituents did, and we certainly did not make him party leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

There are no doubt that there has been to say the least unusual happenings with his dealings and some funny quotes to go a long with it too!

"It is not correct, and if I said so, I was not correct -- I cannot recall if I said it, but I did not say, or if I did, I did not mean to say it -- that these issues could not be dealt with until the end of the Mahon Tribunal."

and this is my favorite
    In 2004, Joe Higgins described Ahern's response to questions as "like playing handball against a hay stack. You hear a dull thud but the ball never comes back to you".

and finally
    Historian Diarmaid Ferriter said:
    "There'll be broad consensus around what Bertie did in Northern Ireland, the social partnership and the unity he brought to his own party Also, he made Fianna Fáil the permanent party of government. They used to have all of the power most of the time, but now they have most of the power all of the time. All of that takes skill. But I wonder will people talk about 'Ahernism'? Is there any such thing? What does he actually stand for? In some ways Bertie's lack of vision was a positive, it made him flexible and willing to compromise, and he was certainly outstanding in that regard. But I dissent from the universal plaudits going around at the moment. He had no social or economic vision for the state he led. There was no fire in his belly. He didn't really want to change society for the better. He was the ward boss writ large. But at the moment it seems it's unfashionable to say anything adverse about Bertie."

Bertie you were taoiseach, you were lord Mayor. Why don't you just sit back and bask in the glow of your achievements and leave us be.

• Advertisement

To any spying Ogras, I have over 1,000 signatures on my dinner table against Bertie Ahern coming to NUIM, go get 50 and we'll talk. I remember last week being told our petition wasn't worth anything as we weren't 'credible' (So said Fianna Fail...) and we're not a recognised club or society (jesus christ...) so I suppose The Irish Times has changed things a bit.

The feeling on the ground on this one is clear.

We'll be delievering the petition next week, look out for news on that. It'll be more than FEE involved too, the aim is to pull in many of the different types who attended the public meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Bertie you were taoiseach, you were lord Mayor. Why don't you just sit back and bask in the glow of your achievements and leave us be.
    Not to mention a top quality GAA pundit. Kwality with a capital K......:D

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Not to mention a top quality GAA pundit. Kwality with a capital K......:D

my kind of political discussion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

I think he's supposed to lecture me, I don't really see what the big problem is with him I'm quite looking forward to it. And as for the person who said what 'qualifications' does he have, many lecturers don't have any, they are brought in as they have an expertise on the subject and have papers published. It's a sign of status for the college, however most of them are crap as teachers.

I think he's supposed to lecture me, I don't really see what the big problem is with him I'm quite looking forward to it. And as for the person who said what 'qualifications' does he have, many lecturers don't have any, they are brought in as they have an expertise on the subject and have papers published. It's a sign of status for the college, however most of them are crap as teachers.

Again....invited guest lectures are most appropriate, not adjunct professorship. He is perfectly qualified to deliver guest lectures on the subject, but these are not the criteria by which adjunct professorships should be granted. This is what the argument is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Again....invited guest lectures are most appropriate, not adjunct professorship. He is perfectly qualified to deliver guest lectures on the subject, but these are not the criteria by which adjunct professorships should be granted. This is what the argument is about.

To be honest, the question of how appropriate it is for a professorship to be awarded considering an supossed lack of distinction/contribution within a particular field is not the argument most people are having. The other arguments against his presence in NUIM are based on personal disliking for the man, rather than being based on the inappropriate granting of the professorship.

Advertisement