Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Advice!!!!!!

• 26-11-2009 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi
    I have applied to do a PGCE Primary Teaching at the University of Ulster Coleraine. I have a degree in Banking and Finance and a PG Dip and MSc in Computing and Information Systems. Having failed to secure employment and having always had an interest to teach i applied for the above course. I finished the courses mentioned back in 2002 and went to work in construction( make hay while the sun shines!!!!!!!!!).
    I have hit a brick wall as regards getting a grant. I have been unemployed for over a year and i was told by my local authority that i couldnt get a grant because i have already a pg dip and msc. They said this would be a step back!
    I never have recieved any student grant before in my previous studies as i didnt qualify. I find this situation so frustrating. I'm getting social welfare, they want people to go back to education but then i cant get support. Has anyone come across this before and any advice would really be so much appreciated.
    Thanks
    barry:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know a lot of people in the same situation and they all can't get grants either. You have to be progressing to get the grant, and I've never heard of them making an exeption.
    You say 'they want people to go back to education'. Problem is they want people to train up. They're afraid of people going round and round doing degree after degree and hence the need for these rules.

There's no way to allow a person like youself to do something that would genuinely give you a better chance of employment while at the same time disallowing some other person from staying in education forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sasta_amach

baz6679 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have applied to do a PGCE Primary Teaching at the University of Ulster Coleraine. I have a degree in Banking and Finance and a PG Dip and MSc in Computing and Information Systems. Having failed to secure employment and having always had an interest to teach i applied for the above course. I finished the courses mentioned back in 2002 and went to work in construction( make hay while the sun shines!!!!!!!!!).
    I have hit a brick wall as regards getting a grant. I have been unemployed for over a year and i was told by my local authority that i couldnt get a grant because i have already a pg dip and msc. They said this would be a step back!
    I never have recieved any student grant before in my previous studies as i didnt qualify. I find this situation so frustrating. I'm getting social welfare, they want people to go back to education but then i cant get support. Has anyone come across this before and any advice would really be so much appreciated.
    Thanks
    barry:)

If you course is in Ulster contact the TDA Link: http://www.tda.gov.uk/ (english teaching council) they should sort you out with something, also contact the University students union, they'll point you in the right direction to what your entitled to.Hope this helps, I don't think youallowence get your back to education unless signing on for a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tony koay

why don't you apply the post in other country like Malaysia or Vietnam?:D

Advertisement