Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Admittance valve

Options
  • 26-11-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Is it possible to cut 110mm in soil stack in bathroom and place a durgo valve on pipe to act as vent pipe. is this how these valves operate?
    Thanks in advanve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is it possible to cut 110mm in soil stack in bathroom and place a durgo valve on pipe to act as vent pipe. is this how these valves operate?
    Thanks in advanve
    In short.....Yes.

In length.......
    Underground drainage systems are traditionally ventilated
    by ventilating stacks that terminate in an end open to the
    atmosphere. The Durgo valve was designed to reduce the
    number of ventilating pipes and roof penetrations in
    domestic, institutional and commercial sanitary plumbing
    systems without affecting drainage performance.
    Durgo valves are supplied complete to suit 50mm, 82mm
    and 110mm pipework suitable for use in above ground
    sanitary pipework system designed in accordance with
    BSEN 12056:2000, Parts 1 to 5. When the system is sub-
    ject to negative pressure the valve diaphragm lifts from
    its seating and allows air to be drawn into the pipework.
    If positive pressure occurs the diaphragm returns to the
    closed position to prevent foul air entering the building.
    Durgo valves should always be fitted in a vertical position
    above the flood level of the highest sanitary appliance.
    They should be installed within the building in a
    non-habitable location, e.g. duct or roof or ceiling space,
    where there is no risk of freezing and where they are
    accessible for maintenance.
    Durgo valves are supplied complete with insulating
    cover which should be left in position after installation,
    for protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have seen this done a lot. But have never done it. It seems to be a fad with attic conversions where people move there bath into the ensuite.

I would suggest an easier way is to run a 2" pipe with the beams in the attic. Bring the 2" down inside the stud(Just about) and connect it into the 4". Again I have never had to do this but know that 2" is legally the smallest you can go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

I have seen this done a lot. But have never done it. It seems to be a fad with attic conversions where people move there bath into the ensuite.

I would suggest an easier way is to run a 2" pipe with the beams in the attic. Bring the 2" down inside the stud(Just about) and connect it into the 4". Again I have never had to do this but know that 2" is legally the smallest you can go.

Cheers Joey
    I was thinking about reducing down to a smaller pipe but the timber battons are only 2"x1", its just enough to drop down a 1/2" cold pipe for toilet. So thats why i tought of durgo valve but dont know if next doors soil stack would act as vent as i live in a terraced house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cheers Joey
    I was thinking about reducing down to a smaller pipe but the timber battons are only 2"x1", its just enough to drop down a 1/2" cold pipe for toilet. So thats why i tought of durgo valve but dont know if next doors soil stack would act as vent as i live in a terraced house.

Be careful how much you reduce. I think the legislation says 2" is the min. Although the builders that done my house used a 1.1/2" Up through the stud and there does not seem to be any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I installed one a few years back as my en-suite toiled had a poor flush. Soil pipe runs horizontal in attic space so handy enough to get to. I used a 2" hole saw and drilled into the top surface of soil pipe, placed a soil strap around it and pushed in the durgo valve (needs to sit vertically). Cost around €15 for the lot and 20 mins work. Made a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

stapeler wrote: »
    I installed one a few years back as my en-suite toiled had a poor flush. Soil pipe runs horizontal in attic space so handy enough to get to. I used a 2" hole saw and drilled into the top surface of soil pipe, placed a soil strap around it and pushed in the durgo valve (needs to sit vertically). Cost around €15 for the lot and 20 mins work. Made a huge difference.

I want to install mine just above the toilet cistern on the vent pipe and eliminate the rest of the vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I want to install mine just above the toilet cistern on the vent pipe and eliminate the rest of the vent.

Pick up a reducer to 2" and it should be fine. Most important is that the valve is mounted vertical.

Advertisement