Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4.7GB DVD too small, next size up??

• 26-11-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

I bought a pack of blank DVD-RWs, 4.7GB yesterday as I want to make a copy of something but when I put in the DVD I want to copy I realised it was something like 7.7GB. Can I buy blank DVD-RWs that can handle files this size? Preferably would prefer to buy them in Dublin but if olnine delivery is quick and cheap that would be grand also. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

YOuy are looking fro dual layer DVDs they are upto twice as Big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

PC World in Jervis shopping centre were selliing dual layer DVD's recently. They hold 8.5 GB and you can only write once on dual layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Dual Layer DVD is what you're looking for, on the packet you'll see DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL. Certain older DVD burners don't seem to work with them though. They'd more than likely have them in the likes of PC World. However give Tescos a look, a few months ago there were a pack of 5 for something like 4 euro. I bought 4 packs as they're usually much more expensive. You could expect to pay up to 20 euro for a pack of 5 in most shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I bought a pack of blank DVD-RWs, 4.7GB yesterday as I want to make a copy of something but when I put in the DVD I want to copy I realised it was something like 7.7GB. Can I buy blank DVD-RWs that can handle files this size? Preferably would prefer to buy them in Dublin but if olnine delivery is quick and cheap that would be grand also. Thanks.

What kind of file is it? What about compressing it?

Even after compressing if it is too big you could split the file and burn it onto two DVDs.

Use Winrar and use the archive recovery option for safety or just HJSplit.

If it's a video DVD you could use DVD shrink to fit it one DVD,

or Buy a Dual Layer recorder and dual layer disks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    That is definitely your best option if the backup you are doing doesn't involve video. Just make sure you label them and keep them together, in order to preserve your sanity should you go looking for them again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As someone suggested for a video file, "DVD Shrink" or there is also "Nero Recode" which also does a very good job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    What kind of file is it? What about compressing it?

Even after compressing if it is too big you could split the file and burn it onto two DVDs.

If it's a video DVD you could use DVD shrink to fit it one DVD,

or Buy a Dual Layer recorder and dual layer disks.

It's a movie DVD I want to copy. Will look into that DVD shrink so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Biggins wrote: »
    As someone suggested for a video file, "DVD Shrink" or there is also "Nero Recode" which also does a very good job too.

Anyone got a link to the download page for DVD shrink? Went to the homepage but can't find a link to download it. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Anyone got a link to the download page for DVD shrink? Went to the homepage but can't find a link to download it. Thanks.
    For legal reasons, they can't host it. Just search in Google for the filename.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

you can get dvdshrink on filehippo.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement