Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me please

• 26-11-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know is there any sort of test that I could run on my computer that would let me know when the connection drops. I think I have a faulty wireless router which is dropping on me quite often. I am plugged straight into my modem now so would like to leave some test running to see does it drop over the next few hours while I am away. I will post in broadband forum as well but thought someone here would know as well?

Basically I want to compare the performance when my desktop is connected tot he router and directly to the modem. By the way my desktop always connected directly with a ethernet cable.

Basically I am on UPC 20mb and my internet keeps dropping and as I play a lot of online poker this is very bad for me. I am plugged straight into a Netgear wireless router (the one that UPC supply), I do notice that this particular website does not work correctly when I am plugged into the router but works fine when plugged into the modem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

If your router is having problems, then the pc that you are using through an ethernet connection can be effected also.
    If your router needs to be reset, it often effects the cable connections routing through it also.

What you want to do is run a constant ping test through the command prompt, on a direct cabled connection from the modem.

Shut down the computer and unplug the modem.
    Take the ethernet cable that's going from modem to router, and take it out of the router and put it into the computer.
    Then turn on PC and plug in modem.

When the pc restarts, open a command prompt and run a constant ping test.
    To do this, just type in the following

ping www.google.com /t

But substitute the web address of the online poker site that you use instead of google.

This will start pinging the site constantly until you stop it.

Leave the command prompt open, and come back later on.
    You can then stop the ping test, and it'll show you any packet loss that occured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Check out a product called PingGraph, sounds like what you need, but it'll only help you diagnose a problem, not identify it.

Advertisement