Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think about using a treadmill to exercise dogs?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

I was watching the Dog whisperer last night, and he used a treadmill to rehabilitate a dog..

After watching it I was thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to use it for exercising my dogs...

I have two dogs, and my husband walks them about 2-3k everyday. My youngest dog (is still a pup) and is inclined to bark from when I leave to when my husband gets up (usually about 3-4 hours later).

I reckon she barks because she is bored.. and a bit bold. But from watching the dog whisperer I thought that if i put her on the treadmill to tire her out a bit, it might help?

What are your opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just make sure that the treadmill is on the highest setting.
    That way the dog will get flung against the wall and it'll stop barking :D

Seriously ...bad idea.

The pup is barking because it doesn't want to be separated from you (a sleeping OH in another room apparently doesn't satisfy its need for company :D)

Read up on separation anxiety and how to leave your dog behind as a matter of fact instead of with lots of drama. Then add some time.
    Should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, definately not!!

Pups arent meant to get too much exercise until they are fully grown as it can cause problems with their bones and joints.

The rule is 5 mins per month of age so depending on the pup, eg 6 months should only be getting 30mins per day.

So a treadmill is deffo not an option for a young dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MediaBride

LOL - but seriously no,don't do it.... will only end in tears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Ah no. There is so much more to a walk for a dog that just getting exercise. Its the highlight of thier day.

Prehaps letting the pup run about in the back garden is the best way to get some excerise for him and let him have some fun at the some time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Ah no. There is so much more to a walk for a dog that just getting exercise. Its the highlight of thier day.

Prehaps letting the pup run about in the back garden is the best way to get some excerise for him and let him have some fun at the some time?

Ok, so its not a great idea... will scratch that.

I completely get what you are saying about the walk, thankfully we live close to the canal, so are able to let her get a good run off the lead with my other dog.

She's grand when we leave her in the house, but she's at a distructive age and is inclined to eat the kitchen furniture, so I put the pair of them out the back when I leave..

The problem is that we live in the town and she can see into other peoples gardens, and barks whenever any of the neighbours go into their gardens or open windows etc. I really don't want to get one of those barking collar things, but am sure that the neighbours don't appreciate being woken up at 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just stuff her into the hubbies bedroom before you go ...she'll cuddle up to him and be quiet.

And yes, I AM serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Flat2dmat

we tried putting our mastiff on treadmill once, was so funny, wish I'd a camera ready at the time...turns out he's way too clumsy and too much of a scaredy cat to do it!! scratch marks remain on the plastic...

Flat2dmat wrote: »
    we tried putting our mastiff on treadmill once, was so funny, wish I'd a camera ready at the time...turns out he's way too clumsy and too much of a scaredy cat to do it!! scratch marks remain on the plastic...

Oh god, definitely not the best idea i ever had so....

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

To stop my pups from destroying the house whenever I had to step outside the door, I used to crate them. It's a good idea to make sure you quieten and settle them in there before you, otherwise they'll just bark once you're gone. I used to spend a few minutes rubbing them down and patting them when they went into the crate and praising them. Then they'd get a treat and I'd close the room door quietly behind me before leaving. It helps too if you can leave the TV or radio on for them so there's a bit of noise.

They're a year and a half now and whenever they have to be crated, they go in and sit down quietly. Not a bother on them.

Sounds like a good idea, I dont have a crate though.. My dogs sleep in the downstairs loo, so I suppose after I let them out to do their business in the morning, I could put them back in there...

I just felt that it was a bit cruel to leave them in a confined area during the day.

I have no problems with my 3year old dog at all, he only ever barks at my dad an the postman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

If he has a sweatband, waterbottle, towel and mp3 player I dont see it being a problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

jrd, once I felt the dogs were old enough, I started gradually letting them stay out during the day and at night. The crate was just to prevent the house from looking like a tip!

These days, the only time I crate them is when the home help comes to stay with my grandmother and I go out for a while. It's as much for their safety, in case someone leaves a door open and they get out - we live near a main road - as much as for the sanity of the home help having to listen to three dogs as well as my grandmother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

ok theres alot of stupid replies but i'd ignore them. i think a threadmill is a great idea. i'm in the process of saving for one at the moment for my fellas. anyone thats serious about excercising their dogs properly would agree. with the weather we are having here its impossible to walk dogs without being soaked and blown all over the place with the heavy winds. plus the dogs dont like getting drowned and frozen. at least with the threadmill they can still get their hours walk in the comfort and warmth of their own home. once you train them to it right they will love it. and its good for their brain because they will be concentrating on the "moving ground". well worth the buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

ok theres alot of stupid replies but i'd ignore them. i think a threadmill is a great idea. i'm in the process of saving for one at the moment for my fellas. anyone thats serious about excercising their dogs properly would agree. with the weather we are having here its impossible to walk dogs without being soaked and blown all over the place with the heavy winds. plus the dogs dont like getting drowned and frozen. at least with the threadmill they can still get their hours walk in the comfort and warmth of their own home. once you train them to it right they will love it. and its good for their brain because they will be concentrating on the "moving ground". well worth the buy.

Yes it is a pain walking the dogs in bad weather, but so what? Buy good waterproof clothing and away you go. If you have dogs that are thin coated, get them a coat. My dogs don't care if its raining or snowing outside, they still want their walk. As has been said earlier, walking the dog isn't just about the physical exercise of walking, they get a lot of mental stimulation out of it.

Theres nothing beats walking the dogs in really bad weather, coming back in, towelling them dry and having a hot cup of coffee. For me anyway, a feeling of satisfaction that you've given your pets what they need and now you're back in the warm and cosy house:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Am guessing one of the stupid replies was mine :)

Have to agree with ISDW, granted the weather so far hasnt been blizzards but ive brought the dog for a walk in the rain and cold and it didnt bother either of us, just the other night I came back shoes and socks soaked and it felt great to get them off and into a fresh pair knowing that we had been out and had a nice walk.

I also bring him out first thing in the morning after a nightshift when the only thing i wanna do is get into bed but when i get back i can do that knowing the dig got his walk and enjoyed it regardless of if im tired or it raining or cold etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

ok theres alot of stupid replies but i'd ignore them. i think a threadmill is a great idea. i'm in the process of saving for one at the moment for my fellas. anyone thats serious about excercising their dogs properly would agree. with the weather we are having here its impossible to walk dogs without being soaked and blown all over the place with the heavy winds

They are good replies. Save up for some boots and rain gear instead. A treadmill for your dog? That's plain lazy, you will forge a much better relationship interacting with your dogs out walking. Sticking them on a machine while you relax sounds cr@p.

Seriously, a think about it. Sounds like some crazy American fad from the eighties. "doggy gyms"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ISDW wrote: »
    Theres nothing beats walking the dogs in really bad weather, coming back in, towelling them dry and having a hot cup of coffee. For me anyway, a feeling of satisfaction that you've given your pets what they need and now you're back in the warm and cosy house:D

+1
    :D Glad to see somebody else thinks this - I thought it was just the novelty of having the new puppy

lightening wrote: »
    Save up for some boots and rain gear instead. A treadmill for your dog? That's plain lazy, you will forge a much better relationship interacting with your dogs out walking. Sticking them on a machine while you relax sounds cr@p.

Seriously, a think about it. Sounds like some crazy American fad from the eighties. "doggy gyms"

Hang on a second.. I never said anything about replacing the dogs daily walk by using the treadmill... I was thinking ( stressing the WAS here) about getting a treadmill to exercise my pup for about 10mins or so in the mornings to take the edge off her energy before her regular walk in the afternoon...
    She usually goes for a nap after her walk, so my rationale here was that after a short walk on the treadmill, she would be a bit calmer, and not inclined to bark as much.

jrd wrote: »
    Hang on a second..

I know, I quoted another person who was using the weather as an excuse not to walk the dogs. Not aimed at you at all jrd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hunterwelly

I was thinking ( stressing the WAS here) about getting a treadmill to exercise my pup for about 10mins or so in the mornings to take the edge off her energy before her regular walk in the afternoon...

I think that's an excellent idea. I wouldn't like to see the treadmill used as a replacement for all walks, but using it as you suggest here I think would be brilliant.

They're bloody expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Yes it is a pain walking the dogs in bad weather, but so what? Buy good waterproof clothing and away you go. If you have dogs that are thin coated, get them a coat. My dogs don't care if its raining or snowing outside, they still want their walk. As has been said earlier, walking the dog isn't just about the physical exercise of walking, they get a lot of mental stimulation out of it.

Yeah I would agree with that, I've been soaked three times this week and covered in mud but its just all part and parcel of dog ownership. While I was covered from head to toe and peeping out through the little gap between my hat and scarf the dogs couldn't care less even my little Chi, she gets her coat on and stands by the car waiting for her walk. I think the dirtier my Spitz gets the better he likes it!!!

10-11-09_1524.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily be against a treadmill as an aid to conditioning a working dog maybe, but definitely not as a replacement for outdoor walking. So OP, the 10 minutes in the morning sounds like it could be a solution to your problem.

I work my dogs in harness, and sometimes it can be a pain loading them into the van and going off, finding somewhere to work them can be difficult as well, so I'll admit it is something that has crossed my mind. They'd still get their normal off lead run arounds in the big field, but it is something I might do in the future to help with their fitness levels. Possibly:D

i'm not saying that the threadmill is to replace the walks. i'm saying if you are busy at home and if the dog is trained on it properly they can use it while you work away. obviously you'l be keeping an eye on them too. also if the weather is too bad it can also be used. no point in gettin sick in this weather. my dogs love their walks and there off leash fun in the park, but once it starts raining they look at me as if to say "your on your own!" and go to run home. they dont usually pull on the leash but if it was raining they literally drag me home. not all dogs are the same. basically a threadmill could suit some people and their dogs. its down to the person themselves so they shouldnt be put off the idea of getting one just because one person doesnt agree with the idea and thinks they should just go out in the gales.

lightening wrote: »
    I know, I quoted another person who was using the weather as an excuse not to walk the dogs. Not aimed at you at all jrd.

excuse me now but i'm not using the weather as an excuse the way you think it. i bring my dogs for 3 walks a day. an hour each. and alot of that i'm jogging. simply because they have so much energy they wreck the house and fly all over the place. i'm saying that the threadmill would help instead of getting wet 3 times a day. i can barely keep up with them alot of times. you just went completely away from the op thinkin i want to replace ALL walks with a threadmill. quote my post where i said that.

I wouldn't necessarily be against a treadmill as an aid to conditioning a working dog maybe, but definitely not as a replacement for outdoor walking. So OP, the 10 minutes in the morning sounds like it could be a solution to your problem.

I work my dogs in harness, and sometimes it can be a pain loading them into the van and going off, finding somewhere to work them can be difficult as well, so I'll admit it is something that has crossed my mind. They'd still get their normal off lead run arounds in the big field, but it is something I might do in the future to help with their fitness levels. Possibly:D

and this quote is being very hippocritical :mad::mad:

and this quote is being very hippocritical :mad::mad:

How? I'm saying that I would still take them out for their daily exercise, no matter what the weather, but if they needed extra conditioning, or if circumstances dictated every now and then, I would consider using a treadmill. Let me stress again, this would not be instead of their usual daily exercise outside, running around. This would be instead of a couple of miles running in harness pulling something, which is additional to their normal hour or two.

I run them on the beach sometimes, but if its a nice day or weekend, it tends to get busy. So I take them up to the mountains or to a forest park, but again, sometimes it can be a bit busy up there and so they can't have a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Is it not a lot of bother to be buying a treadmill just to give your dog an extra 10 mins exercise? Surely it'd be cheaper to just walk him for those ten minutes? And then you'd have to have the space for a treadmill aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

A lot of people have jumped on the OPs back for simply asking a question -- seriously people relax. Or at least ask more questions before jumping to conclusions about what exactly the OP is asking.
    They want to know is it ok to use a treadmill for occasional exercise, and I think it probably is, I've seen on programmes before, or with rehabilitating dogs/overweight dogs they can use a treadmill (trained properly and supervised).
    I myself have been very very sick the past month, and have only gotten to bring my dogs out once. I a) can't afford to get soaked and b) with my regular longterm illness I'm not always able to bring them for a walk.
    BEFORE ye jump on me - they have gone for more than one walk in the month! My dad brings them when he gets home from work. My older dog lily won't budge outside if it's raining, she HATEs it, so I'm not going to drag her. It'd just be stressful for her.
    So personally, if I had an option of getting them extra exercise I'd go for it.

That's all the OP is asking, is a quick go on the treadmill ok to just burn off some energy before they get a chance to bring them for a walk. I would say be very careful if you do, as the dog wouldn't be used to it/mightn't like it, and would need supervision. And maybe even see if your vet knows someone who could give you tips on it, or maybe ring a trainer and see if they might know.

excuse me now but i'm not using the weather as an excuse the way you think it.

You are excused, but it here it sounds like you are using the weather as an excuse.
    with the weather we are having here its impossible to walk dogs without being soaked and blown all over the place with the heavy winds

It's not impossible to walk the dogs in bad weather.

If you can't keep up with them you should have considered one dog instead of three.

Seriously, buy a pair of Meindl's and a set of North Face rain gear, a good hat for a fraction of the price of a treadmill.

• Advertisement

first off i'v got 2 dogs. second off i never said it was supposed to replace the walks. and third off what i mean about the weather is all these floods. all the roads around me were blocked off due to the floods. the fields were rivers and my car was out of action to get them somewhere not flooded. and before someone asks the 1 or 2 routes that were open are not suitable for walking on. so yes it was almost impossible to get out.

Advertisement